Netflix Renews ‘One Day at a Time’ for Season 2

One Day at a Time Netflix
Courtesy of Netflix

Netflix has given a second-season order to the revival of “One Day at a Time.”

The Sony Pictures TV comedy, from Norman Lear and showrunners Mike Royce and Gloria Calderon Kellett, bowed in January to rapturous reviews. The multicamera laffer puts a contemporary spin on the groundbreaking 1970s CBS sitcom about a divorced mother. Justina Machado stars as a newly single mother trying to raise her two children, with the help of her mother.

Related

One Day at a Time Netflix

TV Review: Netflix and Norman Lear’s Rebooted ‘One Day at a Time’

Netflix has ordered 13 episodes for the second season. “One Day at a Time” marked a triumphant return to series TV by Lear, the legendary 94-year-old producer of such indelible TV hits as “All in the Family,” “Maude” and “Good Times.” The original series, which ran from 1975 to 1984, starred Bonnie Franklin, Mackenzie Phillips and Valerie Bertinelli.

The new-model “One Day at a Time” shifted the location from Indianapolis to the Echo Park area of Los Angeles. Machado is seen as an Emmy contender for her role as a newly divorced Cuban-American woman trying to raise a feisty teenage daughter, played by Isabella Gomez, and a tween son (Marcel Ruiz). Rita Moreno also has drawn raves for her work as Machado’s tradition-minded mother.

Stephen Tobolowsky and Todd Grinnell round out the cast. Lear, Royce, Kellett, Brent Miller, Michael Garcia and Dan Signer are exec producers.

Machado and other cast members whipped up a video for social media to herald the renewal news.

News of the renewal was first reported by Deadline.

1. kenneth says:

. One Day at a Time (1 of 2 season) when is it coming out

2. Lourdes LeBrun says:

So excited Netflix picked up One Day At a Time for a second season. I grew up in a Cuban household and I am here to say the show rings so true. No show had portrayed the hysterical side of being Cuban so well since “¿Que Pasa, USA?” in the 70s!!!!

3. Aileen says:

Love this show! I am so glad it’s renewed because it does depict Real life situations!

4. ken says:

new season of one day at a time when

5. kenneth says:

when does come back on

6. Nichelle says:

I am soooo excited to hear this!!! I can’t wait for the next season!! Until then, I love rewatching the 1st season for the wonderful laughs and story!!!

7. Millie Herrera says:

This is an amazing show! Very authentic, I know, I’m Cuban American who grew up in the South and relocated to Miami in the late 80’s. I see myself and my zany family in many of the conversations and situations. Also find myself crying (ok, sobbing!) and laughing loudly (we don’t know what “inside voice” is) at many of the situations. You guys nailed it and you ROCK! Can’t wait for season 2.

8. Anne Vaughn says:

I’m delighted that his show is returning for a new season. Generally speaking sitcoms are not my thing, but this show is pure pleasure. Wonderful characters and genuinely funny. I enjoyed the original “One Day at a Time” all those years ago, but I think I like this version even more. It has kept the warmth and upbeat mood of the original, but the content is definitely today. I look forward to many seasons.

9. rosa says:

can’t wait for 2nd season, I sooooo love this show. I love all the characters, I still don’t have a favorite one. Love them all.

10. Daisy Haskamp says:

Yahoo! Super happy to hear. I could so relate, being Latino, female vet, married to a defense contractor and nurse to boot with 2 kids. Whose been spying on me? Please drop the canned laughter, it’s so annoying. Go for It!

11. Carla says:

All right Netflix!! I love the show.

12. DEE says:

GIVE CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DUE! THIS IS GORIA CALDRON KELLETT’S BABY NOT MIKE ROYCES!!!!! IT IS BASED ON HER LIFE AND HER FAMILY FOR GOD’S SAKE…COME ON DON’T BE SEXIST