Michael Sheen, David Tennant to Star in Neil Gaiman’s ‘Good Omens’ at Amazon

Michael Sheen David Tennant
REX/Shutterstock

Michael Sheen and David Tennant have been cast in the lead roles in the Amazon series adaptation of Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett’s “Good Omens,” Variety has learned.

The show is set in 2018 on the brink of an apocalypse as humanity prepares for a final judgment. But Aziraphale, a somewhat fussy angel, and Crowley, a demon, aren’t enthusiastic about the end of the world, and can’t seem to find the Antichrist. Sheen will play the role of Aziraphale, while Tennant will play Crowley. It will consist of six one-hour episodes.

Amazon declined to comment.

Sheen recently starred in the Showtime drama “Masters of Sex,” which ended its run on the premium cabler in November after four seasons. He has primarily worked in film during his career, having starred in “Frost/Nixon,” “Passengers,” both “Underworld” and “Underworld: Rise of the Lycans,” and “The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn” among many others. He is repped by ICM, Sanders/Armstrong/Caserta Management, and the U.K.’s Roxane Vacca Management.

“I first read ‘Good Omens’ as a teenager and it’s been one of my favourite stories ever since,” Sheen said in a statement to Variety. “To be part of the team entrusted with bringing it alive on screen is a bit of a dream come true to be honest. To work alongside Neil, who I think is one of the greatest storytellers of all time, is incredibly exciting. And, just like the rest of the world, I’m a huge fan of David’s so I relish trying to save it with him.”

Tennant is well known for playing the title role in “Doctor Who” for three seasons and nine specials. Among his other notable roles, he played the villainous Kilgrave in Season 1 of the Marvel-Netflix series “Jessica Jones,” Alec Hardy in the critically-acclaimed series “Broadchurch,” and Barty Crouch Jr. in the film “Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.” He is repped by UTA and the U.K.’s Independent Talent Group.

“Good Omens” was Gaiman’s first novel, written in collaboration with Pratchett, who died in 2015. Terry Gilliam was attached at one point to direct a film adaptation. It is the latest Gaiman television project in recent years. Fox premiered “Lucifer,” inspired by the character created in Gaiman’s Vertigo comics series “The Sandman” and subsequent solo series, in 2015. Earlier this year, Starz debuted Season 1 of “American Gods,” based on Gaiman’s book of the same name.

“Good Omens” is co-produced by BBC Studios with Narrativia, the production company of Pratchett’s daughter Rhianna, and the Blank Corporation and in association with BBC Worldwide for Amazon Prime Video and the BBC. Gaiman and Chris Sussman are executive producing for BBC Studios, and Rob Wilkins and Rod Brown will executive produce for Narrativia. Gaiman adapted all six episodes of the series and will also serve as showrunner.

Following its exclusive launch on Amazon Prime Video, the series will also be broadcast on BBC in the U.K. BBC Worldwide has the second-run rights internationally.

1. That Anon Over There says:

I have nothing against these two actors, I think they’re talented, but really? Boring, uninspired casting, tbh. And I’m tired of stories set in either NY or London having an all White cast or having White leads and people of color as accesories. Those two are the most diverse cities in the world!

This was one of those perfect opportunities to cast known or unknown actors of color.

I can’t say I won’t watch, but honestly? I’m very disappointed and less enthusiastic about this project. If the rest of the casting choices are like these two… honestly, I don’t even want to think about it.

2. Neil Scott says:

While I respect headline writing is an unforgiving task master, fans of Neil Gaiman would be remiss not to mention that Gaiman himself has written and spoken repeatedly about his first interview with “Good Omens” co-author, Terry Pratchett, and that Gaiman himself is a fan, first and foremost of Pratchett’s. While Gaiman is still living, and his large library of works is currently being adapted to film and television through multiple projects (something that still is posthumously happening to some of Pratchett’s, for the record); I doubt he’d discount the celebrated career of his coauthor, whom he respected, immensely.

• Karen Johnston says:

Yes, I agree with Mr. Scott. This book was written by TWO authors and BOTH should be credited in all headlines about this production. Shame on US Variety for ignoring one of the bestselling, prolific and insightful writers of the 20th Century. Shame on you for ignoring this great man. Again, Gaiman, himself, would be the first to point this out, if he hasn’t already. Correct your header and do the right thing.

3. YES!!!!!! I am beyond excited! I LOVE Good Omens and (cherry on the top) David Tennant too! It’s like Christmas : )

4. GirlfriendMD says:

Hey. You guys should maybe consider changing the title of the article to include Terry Pratchett, who co-wrote Good Omens. Gaiman has been correcting people on twitter who have been making this same mistake. Both authors deserve the credit.

5. Compwitch says:

Perfect casting! Real actors, not “celebrities”. If only Terry Gilliam *was* directing, it could be the absolute perfect Fantasy production, but at least Gaiman has a hand in the production and there is the Pratchett connection via his daughter. Given this casting announcement, I now have real hope that the production will be a good one, and dare to hope for great.

6. Yvonned56 says:

And the late great Sir Terry Pratchett also had a hand in writing this marvellous book. Shame on you Variety for not putting his name in the headline too.

7. I must say that I am disappointed that you only name one of the authors of this great book and shun mentioning the late great Terry Pratchett with whom Gaiman co-wrote Good Omens.

Tsk. Tsk.

8. “Lucifer” is not a Neil Gaiman comic, though the character of Lucifer (this version of him, anyway) was originally conceived by Neil Gaiman in “The Sandman”. However, “Lucifer” is written by Mike Carey, an amazing and talented writer who has been relevant in comics and fantasy fiction for years now. Please, amend the article.

9. Greg says:

Really predictable and boring choices. Yet more white British dudes. Seriously, there are thousands of great actors out there and we get these two? At least it wasn’t the ubiquitous Cumbersnatch.Color me unimpressed by this news.

• That Anon Over There says:

Honestly, I think the casting of Azi and Crowley was a no win situation, considering we all had our own fan cast in mind. However, it is extremely disappointing that it is yet again two White leads.

• Yvonned56 says:

It is a British book, written by British authors! Doh!

• That Anon Over There says:

There are British people that are not White.

The characters had no race attached to them in the book, they could’ve literally cast anyone and yet they chose to cast two White men. You understand why some of us fans of the book are not happy about this casting and respect that.

10. kedamono says:

That would be “Sir Terry Pratchett’s and Neil Gaiman’s novel _Good Omens.”_ thank you very much.

11. Lilsmokeybear says:

Sheen was also pretty good in Amazon’s Bookaboo kids series nice to see them go back to the well.

12. Marcella says:

Nah. Not my idea of good casting. Really obvious and out of touch choices. Sweet faced Sheen giving his sly wink to the audience and his capital A ACTING and weasel faced Tennant doing his standard louche bad boy. Expect another Purple Man style overacted and grating turn. Why not a person of colour and younger. I would have gone for maybe Riz Ahmed and Matt Smith or David Oyelowo and Paterson Joseph. Was looking forward to this but not with such lazy casting in the leads…..

13. Amazing casting; I never imagined that anything could make me more excited about seeing Good Omens come to life, but the news that Michael and David are starring makes me want to go to sleep only to be awakened when the show premieres.

14. KimB says:

This is fantastic news! I love the book, and I think that casting David Tennant as the Demon Crowley was a brilliant choice. Can’t wait for this one to come out.

15. Plinge says:

Sheen’s memory seems to be failing him – he was 21 when Good Omens was published.

16. Terry Pratchett and Gaiman were co-writers. It is not just Gaiman

• James Wilcox says:

Well it is in the article: