MSNBC Sets Nicolle Wallace at 4 P.M. Hour

Nicolle Wallace
Broadimage/REX/Shutterstock

Nicolle Wallace has made a name for herself at MSNBC as a political analyst who comes with chops hard-won from the George W. Bush administration and the John McCain presidential campaign. Now, she will try to stand out hosting the cable-news outlet’s 4 p.m. hour.

The NBCUniversal-owned outlet said Wallace will help to expand a late-day block that focuses on politics. Her hour is followed by Chuck Todd’s “MTP Daily,” Greta van Susteren’s “For the Record” and Chris Matthews’ “Hardball.” Wallace is expected to cover political developments and deliver interviews with newsmakers. MSNBC said Steve Kornacki will have presence in the hour, where he has recently held forth.

MSNBC said Wallace will continue to appear frequently on NBC News’ “Today” as a political analyst, and will contribute special reports to the show. She will also serve as a fill-in host for MSNBC’s “The 11th Hour with Brian Williams.”

“Nicolle played a huge role for us during the presidential election and through the first 100 days. We’re thrilled she’s stepping into this spot with Steve at her side,” said Phil Griffin, resident of MSNBC, in a prepared statement.

“There’s never been a more exciting or stunning time in American politics, and I’m grateful for the opportunity to have a daily conversation with our viewers about every dramatic twist and turn,” Wallace said in a statement. “I’m humbled by all of the opportunities MSNBC and NBC News have given me to report on the 2016 campaign and its ripple effects.”

Wallace, a former panelist on ABC’s “The View,”  contributed regularly to both NBC News and MSNBC during the 2016 presidential election, including the Republican and Democratic National Conventions, President Donald Trump’s address to a joint session of Congress, and other major national stories.

1. Pamela Carson says:

Nicolle Wallace makes me want to change the channel. Her interview style is disruptive and rude. She talks incessantly as though the audience wants her opinion and not that of her panelists. Her voice is loud and rapid fire. I don’t care at all that her background is conservative. I do care that her performance belongs on FOX. I get my information from NBC and its affiliates. I never learn anything during the time she is on the air. Bad choice MSNBC. Any talk about removing her?

2. Kathi says:

MSNBC not changing for the good. Disgraced broadcaster Brian Williams blathering on and on. Greta, my god.
    Started watching Nicolle Wallace- I could tell right away something was wrong and now I see why my hackles went up. Another republican, worked on campaigns even. MSNBC lost me for several different hours thru the day. Love Chris Hayes, Kornacki, Ari Melber, Joy Reid and L .O’Donnell. Stephanie Ruhle in the AM is pretty good too. Not liking the new chief at MSNBC. Sad!

3. Wallace is very pleasing to the eye. Intelligent too. But she has a shrill, fingernails-on-chalkboard-voice that just grates against the nerves.

4. Mariana says:

I am going to miss Steve Kornacky and his unique style! He was able to grab and keep my attention regardless, if I was watching the channel at that moment. I hope he’s happy with the promotion and the better pay! As of Nicolle Wallace, she is a turn off for me! I feel that she giggles, laughs and acts to much like a cutie little girl…overkill for a 40+ woman! She lacks the confidence and the leadership! Overkill! She lost me as a viewer!

5. Enid Presser says:

I am very happy with this change. I hope she works out.

6. Excellent broadcaster on the Brian Williams 11th hour. Bravo!

• Mike says:

She does a competent job of commentary given that she isn’t a rubber stamp for anything Republicans do. However, she is quite hesitant with her delivery and she downright stumbled around when she replaced Brain Williams recently for a full week. Conducting your own show is different than just being a commentator.

What bothers me here is the further “Foxification” of MSNBC by turning it into a Republican friendly network. Megyn Kelly coming to NBC and MSNBC, Greta(yuck) and now Nicole Wallace. They are becoming FOX News Lite and I don’t like it at all. If they want to be like other networks, I’LL WATCH OTHER NETWORKS.

Heck, they’ve even had LUNATIC Joe Walsh on a number of times recently, presumably as a “contributor.” That is just crazy and I won’t go along with it. Also, Steve Kornacki, while not a flashy name like Nicole Wallace who seems to be Brian Williams’ pet, deserves better. It’s a shame to see reporter after reporter pushed to the side at MSNBC as they “Foxify” their operation. Joy Reed being only one of the many pushed aside. I’m at the point where I’m only watching Chris Hays and Joy Reed on the weekends now. If they want to be like some other cable news networks, I’ll be viewing the networks they’re trying to imitate.

• I like Nicole Wallace as I think she is very fair, but I agree that MSNBC needs to be careful about going too far to the middle. We all know what happens when you do that…no one cares.

7. Pam Keller says:

Get rid of Brian Williams. He’s too unprincipled. For instance, what he did to Rachel Maddow was despicable. His on-air admiration for guns disgusting.

8. daniel edward chauvin says:

A fair line-up, but please get rid of Greta. She makes me physically ill with her SHRILL.

9. Chris Darling says:

Another conservative. I can see where this is heading.

10. George Lewis says:

Perhaps she’s not ‘as bad’ as other MSNBC hosts. She’s also easy on the eyes (though not a hot ‘news bunny’). Biggest issue though is she’s relatively bland & boring overall?

• Mike says:

After seeing her appearing regularly on the “11th Hour” with Brian Williams regularly, it was clear she was a favorite of Brian Williams. She is like a pet or protege of his. I guess I should have seen this coming. The “Foxification” of MSNBC is very sad and troubling to a long-time viewer of it. I’m sure many others feel the same.