Miguel Ferrer, ‘NCIS: Los Angeles’ Actor, Dies at 61

Miguel Ferrer NCIS
Courtesy of CBS

Miguel Ferrer, the character and voice actor who appeared in shows including “NCIS: Los Angeles” and “Crossing Jordan,” and films such as “RoboCop” and “Iron Man 3,” died on Thursday of throat cancer. He was 61.

Ferrer was the son of top 1950s singer Rosemary Clooney and actor Jose Ferrer, and first cousin to George Clooney. He appeared on “NCIS: Los Angeles” for seven seasons.

George Clooney said Ferrer “made the world brighter and funnier” in a statement obtained by Variety.

“Today history will mark giant changes in our world, and lost to most will be that on the same day Miguel Ferrer lost his battle to throat cancer. But not lost to his family,” Clooney wrote. “Miguel made the world brighter and funnier, and his passing is felt so deeply in our family that events of the day, (monumental  events), pale in comparison. We love you Miguel. We always will.”

Related

George Clooney Miguel Ferrer

Miguel Ferrer’s Cousin George Clooney, Friends and Co-Stars React to His Death

“NCIS: Los Angeles” showrunner R. Scott Gemmill said in a statement, “Today, ‘NCIS: Los Angeles’ lost a beloved family member. Miguel was a man of tremendous talent who had a powerful dramatic presence on screen, a wicked sense of humor, and a huge heart.”

He also appeared on the original “Twin Peaks” TV series and will reprise his role as FBI pathologist Albert Rosenfield in Showtime’s upcoming “Twin Peaks” reboot.

His TV roles included “Shannon’s Deal,” “Broken Badges,” “Crossing Jordan,” “Bionic Woman,” and “Desperate Housewives.” He also provided voices for films, TV shows, and videogames, including “Mulan,” “Superman: The Animated Series,” “Robot Chicken,” “American Dad!,” “The Spectacular Spider-Man,” and the “Halo 3” videogame. On film, he also appeared in the 2004 “The Manchurian Candidate,” “Sunshine State,” “Hard Ride to Hell,” and “Mr. Magoo.”

Born in Santa Monica, Calif., he started out as a studio musician, touring with his mother and Bing Crosby, and recording with Keith Moon of The Who, before moving into television and film.

Among his early appearances were playing his father’s younger self on “Magnum P.I.” and portraying an Excelsior helm officer in “Star Trek III: The Search for Spock.” In “Robocop,” he played corporate executive and villain Bob Morton, a type he would return to frequently in roles such as an engineer in “DeepStar Six,” in “Hot Shots! Part Deux,” in the mini-series “The Stand,” and as a drug informant in “Traffic.”

He is survived by his wife, Lori; sons, Lukas and Rafi; and several brothers and sisters.

1. Bobby D. Dickinson says:

Miguel could have been the American version of James Bond. On second thought……he was and is in my heart.

2. Marcus Holmström says:

Loved his work, had no idea he passed. Wish he’d receive more recognition.

3. Tunde says:

You will be greatly missed. You will always be the original OG

4. Cheryl Taylor says:

The industry and his family are not the only ones who will miss him. He will be greatly missed by those of us who are die hard fans of NCIS..My thoughts and prayers are with all who will realize the loss of such a good man.

5. Kristine Harrower says:

RIP Miguel’ but as they say in the classics, the show must go on….and I hope they continue in your honour. We loved you in Australia.

6. Nigel says:

We will miss him. He was great in NCIS Los Angeles. A fine actor.

7. Stehen says:

RIP ,Sad to hear that you have passed , your were the best in your role as “O G” ,NCIS
    Will keep watching in your memory.
    Stephen Barnes.

8. Paul simpson says:

R.I.P. Miguel from all the UK viewers of NCIS LA who have just seen the episode on Sunday 16TH April where Hetty finds an empty hospital bed and is handed your note by a nurse.

Thank you for all your acting. Your deep voice will be missed.

9. Gena ML says:

‘m going to miss U Mr. Ferrier, a.k.a Granger. Rest easy my friend. Prayers of comfort to ur friends and family.

10. Sandy says:

The public loved you. To those that knew you best prayers are with you.

11. Kay says:

Omg. I didn’t know that you passed. So hard to believe. I screamed and was heart broken when you were stabbed on NCIS. I said that they had better not take you off the show. Now I understand. Rest easy my friend.

12. Isabel Irizarry says:

Upset he wasn’t mentioned at the oscars!

13. Mary Crabtree says:

I am impressed by Mr. Ferrer working with his illness. I will miss his work. My sincere sympathy to his family. I will keep his soul in my prayers.

14. Dave J says:

His movies roles was just as memorable as his tv ones!

15. Lisa says:

Leave it to Clooney to somehow intertwine a cousin’s death to his displeasure of today.

16. Tofan Mihai says:

R.I.P. ! Love NCIS LA and yours actors ! Not fair !

17. Mary E Winborn says:

He made acting look easy and real, no matter how bizarre the character. I remember him in “Point of No Return” as the no-nonsense head of the “assassin ” school, trying to tell a joke. Too young to die. Not fair. .

18. Pamela Like says:

How could you forget his villian in ANOTHER STAKEOUT? ***smiling thru tears*** Loved this guy in everything he did. Very funny in interviews as well. Peace & Love to the Ferrer-Clooney family.

19. Robert Hutton says:

RIP Jose Ferrer. You were great on NCIS:LA.
    I wondered during the current program whether he was really acting or really sick. I guess the latter was true. We have lost a great actor.
    Thoughts and prayers for his family.

20. CLOO.LESS says:

I was just watching him on new episodes of NCIS:L.A. last month. I did not even realize he was sick. The franchise loses another great one way too young. So sorry for their loss.

21. Louis says:

I was just watching him on Twin Peaks the other day… RIP.

22. He will be missed. I did not realize that he was Rosie Clooney’s Son. I knew she was married to Jose Ferrer. She was our Kentucky’s favorite daughter.

23. sdl65 says:

He was a good one. I really enjoyed his work. RIP Miguel!!

24. Ben says:

He had an amazing voice, terrific actor too.
    Too young to go, deepest regards.

25. Marcia Sichol says:

My prayers and sympathy to Miguel’s family. When I first saw him, decades ago now, he looked so like his father. Thank you for all you gave us through the years. Rest in peace.

26. NANCY CADY says:

my thoughts and sympathy to his family, i enjoyed watching his performance on NCIS los Angeles RIP MR FERRER

27. Debbie says:

oh so sad respected him always

28. Donna Loveall says:

For all family and friends, you have my deepest sympathy🌹

29. Alex Meyer says:

R.I.P.

30. Timo casar says:

Rest in peace miguel

31. Jill Klman says:

I most remember him for his role on NCIS Los Angeles and will miss seeing him in future episodes. I am glad to know I will be able to see him in the reprisal of Twin Peaks. Condolences to his family and fans. He was taken from us too soon,but may he rest in peace.

32. Spider says:

Fantastic actor. I first took notice of him in “Robocop”, then in subsequent roles in, “Hot Shots: Part Deux” and especially, “The Night Flier” (a scary, underrated horror flick), voice work, etc.. A very distinguished man with an even more distinguishable voice. I extend my deepest condolences to his and George Clooney’s family. RIP, good sir and thanks for the body of work you left us to enjoy and appreciate! You will be missed!

33. Sandro Riço says:

RIP Miguel Ferrer (1955-2017) – Remember the interview where he talks about ‘NCIS Los Angeles’ on youtube.

34. Miluka Rivera says:

My deepest sympathy to the Ferrer-Clooney’s familly Miguel was no only talented, also charitable, humble and a great human being.

He was featured in the Oscar winning film “Traffic”, and won a SAG Award as part of the “Best Ensemble.”

He will be remembered! RIP!

-Miluka Rivera (Journalist and author of the José Ferrer’s biography book).

35. Dave Cochran says:

Another fine actor gone to soon. I had noticed a change in his features, and how thin he had gotten. I now, understand the outcome of what is happening within the show.(I don’t like that is going to end that way). God, pray for his family during this trying time.

36. Valerie says:

I loved his voice. R.I.P 💋

37. I first came across Miguel Ferrer in the straight to DVD movie The Night Flier by Stephen King. He was very good in it. Great character actor, will be missed.

38. Sharon Rea says:

Miguel Ferrero will be missed. Great actor. Condolences to his wife and family. RIP

39. Steve says:

Really good character. Nobody could do withering sarcasm like him. I’m glad we’ll see him soon reprising his great character in Twin Peaks.

61 is too soon, but we really have no choice in the matter. Rest in peace, good sir.

40. Janet says:

will not be the same without Granger … RIP and Blessings

41. Jeff says:

A wonderful guy. He will be very missed.

42. Diane says:

He will be greatly missed. Great actor!! My condolences to the family. :(

43. Kim Enwright says:

You will be missed Miguel! Wonderful actor!! RIP and prayers to the family :(

44. Oh my goodness. RIP. My favorite roll was that in “RoboCop”–the original., Good actor. SO sad, so sad…

45. gabe says:

wasn’t he in Mulan and Beverly hills chihuahua

46. Brooke Smith says:

I’m so sad to hear this news. Rest in peace, Sweet Miguel.

47. He didn’t “voice the designer of the title character in Robocop.” He appeared as Bob Morton, the designer character, in “Robocop.”

• urbanleftbehind says:

Was he the guy who got done in while snorting coke with hookers?

• Rudester says:

Yup, that was him. Big fan of his ever since. Wow, him and Ronny Cox in that movie, absolutely two of the slimiest corporate types on the screen. RIP Miguel, we will miss you…