MGM TV Acquires Rights to Daniel Silva’s Gabriel Allon Spy Novels

Daniel Silva's Gabriel Allon
Courtesy of Amazon

MGM Television lands the adaptation rights to author Daniel Silva’s collection of spy novels based around secret agent Gabriel Allon, Variety has learned

All of Silva’s novels have been New York Times Bestsellers, with eight of them debuting at number one. His books have been translated into more than 30 languages and are published around the world by Penguin Random House and most recently HarperCollins. The series follows Allon, an art restorer, spy and assassin.

“I am excited to be working with the talented team at MGM, led by Gary Barber, the home of James Bond, ‘Fargo’ and ‘The Handmaid’s Tale,’” Silva said. “For the fans of Gabriel Allon, I thank you for your patience. I always said I would wait for the right time and the right partner.”

Silva and his wife Jamie Gangel will serve as executive producers. Steve Stark and Lindsay Sloane, MGM’s president and executive vice president of television production and development respectively, will oversee production on behalf of the studio.

“The rights to Daniel Silva’s series of riveting and beloved novels have been sought after for years and to entrust us with his work is a huge honor,” said Jonathan Glickman, MGM’s president of the motion picture group. “Along with Jamie and Daniel, we are committed to bringing Gabriel to viewers around the world in the high-class, emotional and thrilling manner that his fans have come to expect.”

Michael Gendler of Gendler & Kelly negotiated the deal on behalf of Silva and Gangel.

1. Christopher Kennedy says:

Liev Schreiber is my choice for Gabriel Allon. Plenty of guile and murderous potential, and has the stillness and depth to step into his passion for art restoring.

2. Dick Hetland says:

Please consider “Mr. Grant”,(Ed Asner) of the Mary Tyler Moore Show to play Ari Shamron. With a torn leather jacket, and in one of his moods, he IS Ari Shamron and has been in my mind since I first met him in your books.

3. Donna says:

Please consider Jeremy Northam to play Gabriel, he is 55 yrs. old and would be perfect for the role.

4. Rupert Friend is perfect, actually he was made for it. He is both sculptor material and way over the top to be Gabriel. Mysterious; moral; stands up for what is right and does what ever is necessary to do good and overcome evil. He has great assassin acumen!

5. Boki Bogdan says:

I read em all.But like the movie Perfume,the book is stunning great ! The movie is totally cutted,so much things that happened in the Book were not shown in the movie. Gabriel Allon is in the books not a playboy,we all know that,Somebody said Natalie Portman …no no,she looks way to young and is not such a calibre to play the character Chiara.Brian Cox yes but no-he’s too much in such play roles.
    I just hope it will be good movie.

6. Al Golden Eagle says:

I’m glad it’s a television based production. Much more or the stories can be presented, with much less time in between. Thank you all that have made this decision.

7. Anne Elkins says:

I think that Jude Law would be a great Gabriel! And possibly Gal Gadot (for looks–I’m not familiar with her acting ability) or Natalie Portman( she has both the looks and the acting ability) to play Chiara. And as for Ari Shamron…..I think Brian Cox would be great! He played a wonderful Russian in the RED movies and a senator in one of the Bourne movies. Terrific actor! I’ve read all the Gabriel books—some twice!! Let us know what network the new series will air on and when.

8. WeBe Golum says:

Gabe Allon is my favorite Spy Series…Read them all!!!….How about Jason Isaacs as Gabe…He’s European & the right age…also looks Israeli!!

9. Joe DeColli says:

I’d appreciate hearing when the MGM TV program will begin and what TV site. I’m a fan of Mr. Silva’s writing and have read all of the Gabriel Allon series. I await his new book in July, 2017. Thanks.

10. Darlene says:

This is such exciting news! I hope they keep the “adaptations” as close as possible to the text of the novels. I agree….DO NOT CAST TOM CRUISE!!! How about Raviv Ullman? He would make a good Gabriel (all though aging him progressively might be a challenge)….

11. Mary Kay Keenan says:

I hope they remember that Gabriel is in his 50’s and is not a kid.

12. Sandra Dickerman says:

This is the most exciting news…absolutely love Gabriel and cant wait to see who plays him thank you thank you

13. Jackie Morelock says:

Please cast a good UNKNOWN young actor as Gabriel…

14. Denise says:

Does this mean the films will be on TV and not movie theatres?