Mary Murphy Returning to ‘So You Think You Can Dance’ Season 14

Mary Murphy SYTYCD
Jim Smeal/BEI/REX/Shutterstock

Mary Murphy is returning to the judges’ table on “So You Think You Can Dance,” Variety has learned. Murphy’s return comes as judges Paula Abdul and Jason Derulo are departing the show.

Season 14 will feature Murphy, Nigel Lythgoe and a third judge, who has not been announced yet. Host Cat Deeley will also return.

Murphy was a longtime mainstay on “So You Think You Can Dance.” She was one of the original judges on the Fox dance competition show, which began in 2005, and was a judge through the sixth season. She took a hiatus for the seventh season, and then returned for Season 8 before departing again after Season 11. For Season 12, Abdul and Derulo came on board, and for the most recent season “So You Think You Can Dance: The Next Generation,” which focused on kid contestants, teenage dancer Maddie Ziegler was also a judge.

Related

Paula Abdul leaving So You Think You Can Dance

‘So You Think You Can Dance’ Renewed for Season 14 at Fox, Paula Abdul Not Returning as Judge

Murphy, a ballroom dance champion, was known for her loud screaming reactions on the judges’ panel and her signature phrase, the “Hot Tamale Train.”

“I am thrilled that Mary will return to ‘So You Think You Can Dance’ and I’m sure the fans will be, as well,” said Lythgoe. “She brings an energy and enthusiasm that’s contagious and I can’t wait for her to join me on the judging panel. I’ve got a pair of earplugs ready, and another for our third resident judge, as well.”

“So You Think You Can Dance” Season 14 airs on Fox this summer.

1. Mia Myers says:

Screaming Mary is back? Another season I’ll skip. If she ever had the discipline to dance, she can control her obnoxious voice. Which producer thinks this is charming?

2. Anonymous says:

Watching SYTYCD on Hulu for the very first time. It’s so wonderflu to see the dancers but Mary Murphy makes this show UNWATCHABLE. Her behavior is so immature. Having a catchphrase is one thing but a catch-shriek? Mary, honey, that is not a thing.

3. Elaine Shapiro says:

We love the show but if Mary Murphy cannot act properly and cut out the terrible screaming, we are not going to continue watching a show we really enjoy. Also, why is there not more classical dancers performing??

4. nowwhat59 says:

Cannot stand Mary Murphy and her screaming – awful! I had to put her on mute every time she spoke, so definately will be giving this show a miss. Shame really since I loved watching it.

5. Jeannie mayfield says:

Glad you were smart enough to bring life back to the panel. I was in the audience wit Paula and Jason , it was boring. Happy to see mary back!!!!!!!

6. sfr says:

I enjoy the dancing but can’t stand Murphy and her screaming. Sorry to see she’s coming back.

7. Nancy says:

I love Mary I’m so excited she is so much fun!!

8. Melody says:

Why or why would you bring back this loud mouth..

I have to turn down the volume to almost nothing as I can’t abide her screaming

Bad thing for this show

9. Kcarnes says:

So excited Mary is returning . She made the show with her excitement and her true heart

10. Donna says:

Thank you for bringing Mary back. The past two seasons have been underwhelming at the very least.

11. Delia says:

Was at the taping yesterday in Brooklyn, Guest judge is Vanessa Hudgins; super cute!! Didn’t are for Mary’s outfit though as Vanessa looked amazing. Nigel is Nigel. Great taping and was happy to be at the very first taping for 2017 with my daughter and niece. Be on the look out for the Colombian salsa dancer, she has moves!!

12. Brenda Peterson says:

So glad to see Mary back missed her. Srory to see Paula go but never
    licked Jason as judge. Might be great guy but does not have personality for show like this.
    So glad show is coming back.