‘Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath’ Renewed at A&E

Leah Remini Scientology A&E
Miller Mobley

Leah Remini’s Scientology docuseries will not only be returning to A&E, but it’ll be getting an extra two episodes.

Variety has confirmed that “Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath” has received a 10-episode Season 2 order. The network is looking for a summer debut.

The series has been a boon for A&E, with critical praise and strong numbers tuning in for Remini’s road trip to talk to former Scientologists who detail cases of emotional and physical abuse while members of the Church of Scientology. Remini left the Church in 2013 after being part of it for nearly 30 years, her departure coming a few years after producer Paul Haggis’ high-profile split with the Church and just months after the publication of Lawrence Wright’s “Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief,” which served as the basis for Haggis’ HBO documentary of the same name. Remini came out with a memoir, “Troublemaker: Surviving Hollywood and Scientology” in 2015.

“It became clear to us that although we were telling painful stories of former members of the Church of Scientology, this show was resonating strongly with people everywhere. The show is really about standing up for what is right and not letting bullies have their way,” Remini said. “I feel it is important for people to know that you can take action to bring about change, both for yourself and for others. Our intention is to send a clear message to abusers that they will not go unchecked and will not be permitted to continue harming people without being questioned and challenged. We have been deluged with messages from those who have stories to tell who feel the show is a forum where their voices can be heard. We have been overwhelmed with support from well-wishers and fans of the show from around the world. But most importantly we felt compelled to proceed with another season to continue to reveal truths and seek justice for all victims.”

Related

Generation KKK Leah Remini

Church of Scientology Slams A&E for Yanking KKK Docuseries While Promoting Leah Remini’s Show

The Church of Scientology has vigorously denied all of the claims made by the former members, and in Season 1 A&E ran cards before each segment of the show that contain statements from the Church that disputing the veracity of the stories in the show and Remini’s own story, painting her and the alleged victims as bitter apostates. A&E even set up a site to post the Church’s complete responses, and the Church of Scientology has also set up its own website to respond to the stories told in the program, in addition to issuing a statement alleging Remini attempted to extort large sums of money from the Church. After A&E scrapped docuseries “Escaping the KKK: A Documentary Series Exposing Hate in America” when it learned producers of that series paid participants — in violation of policy for that show — the Church lashed out at the network, saying that the subjects on “Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath” are paid.

Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath” is produced for A&E Network by the Intellectual Property Corporation (IPC). Executive producers for IPC are Eli Holzman and Aaron Saidman. Leah Remini serves as executive producer for her No Seriously Productions. Executive producers for A&E Network are Devon Hammonds, Amy Savitsky and Elaine Frontain Bryant.

Remini, who also just booked a lead role on NBC’s “What About Barb?” pilot, is represented by APA, which packaged the project, art2perform and Hirsch Wallerstein Hayum Matlof Fishman.

WATCH: Leah Remini says Tom Cruise is ‘brainwashed’ by Scientology

1. leslie says:

scientology is not a church because if it was then GOD would be the focus, not a crazy dead man, thou shall not worship idols, L Ron Hubbard may not be in heaven because he did not believe in our lord….take em down leah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also, lose the word church, add the word cult and make them pay all back the money they stole from the IRS and all their victims

2. Kris says:

I wish they would do a story on the evangelical cults like the Southern Baptist Church. Imo, all religions are cults and should be taxed and subject to audits. I have friends who have literally started their own church out of their garage who brag about making more money than they have ever made in their lives. Disgusting!

3. Patty Watson says:

I am so happy that this show has been renewed. I lived in Clearwater for 20 years and know some members that have left the church and their stories are exactly like the ones Leah shares on her shows. Watching all of the people walking around Downtown Clearwater with their uniforms on and never speaking to anyone was always just so sad to me, I hope this church is taken down soon!

4. Steve Lamb says:

Why does Leah use such filthy language? We are able to get the point without that!

5. I am curious as to what religion that the church of Scientology claims to be. National Bank of Scientologhy.
    From what I have read and seen there is no religion involved. Just suggestive way of living and financing a lifestyle of brainwashing.
    I agree with Leah and hope the IRS comes after them and makes them pay back taxes and bankrupts the “so called church”.
    It is a CULT and anyone that doesn’t see this is ignorant. It is also one of the biggest SCAMS that has ever happened.
    Really???
    You have to pay to enter and exit? You have to give up all ties with friends and family ? You have to endure physical and mental abuse? Give me a break.

• DC says:

Most religions are scams. Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Mormon, etc. Scientology is merely one of the youngest and most easily discredited religious scams. All religions should have their tax exempt status taken away from them.

6. Rae says:

I found the series riveting and so glad it has been renewed. I was accosted and encouraged to enter a Scientology ‘bookstore’ in Toronto in the early 70’s. I was lost and insecure so would have been vulnerable to the strong arm tactics had I not paid attention to the gut feelings… And been turned off by the pressure to spend my last remaining student welfare money on the books. A roof over my head and some food thankfully were more important to me than elevating my pathetic (at the time) life. Could have been SO much worse.

7. sheila says:

Kudos to Leah Remini for exposing scientology for what they really are (A CULT). Not once have I heard the word “GOD” mentioned. About 40 years ago my younger sister and I walked into the Scientology building (Riverside, Ca.) to check it out. After a few brochures were handed to us. They asked how much money our parents made. We turned around and walked out. If that is a religion. I want no part of it. The Leader, David is an ASS.

8. RMycroft says:

Scientology never responds to the stories told in the program on their website, instead they attack the participants.

9. Bruno says:

I love it when Scientology is being slammed by anyone. Leah is a New York Italian girl who is tougher than nails. And they’re going after her? She will eat them ALIVE!!

10. Jen says:

Awesome!! I can’t wait to see Leah expose more of this crazy cult’s abuses and horrendous misdeeds and coverups. I hope this is the beginning of the end for the cult!

11. Occultology says:

Leah Remini is fulfilling her life’s purpose here on this Earth by shining her Soul’s radiant spotlight on the occultism behind Scientology. Her tireless work on this massive and unprecedented and courageous expose is glorious to behold, and is a majestic example to all, on many levels, of a loving and enlightened human being!

12. James Nemec says:

I found this show absolutely fascinating. I’m amazed that the government hasn’t stepped in and done a thorough investigation of this so-called religion. If nothing else, I’m glad it was renewed in order that more and more stories of the crazy abuse suffered at the hands of this “church” are uncovered so that investigations can be instigated. I think their tax exempt status should be revoked. And Leah Remini should be applauded for what she is doing.