ABC Cancels ‘Last Man Standing’ After Six Seasons

ABC Cancels 'Last Man Standing' After
Courtesy of ABC

The Tim Allen comedy “Last Man Standing” has been canceled by ABC after six seasons.

The domestic comedy produced by 20th Century Fox TV was a durable player for the network in the Friday 8 p.m. berth, and it has been a solid performer for 20th TV in syndication. But ratings have waned in the show’s sixth season.

Nancy Travis, Hector Elizondo, Jonathan Adams, Christoph Sanders, Kaitlyn Dever, Molly Ephraim, Amanda Fuller, Jordan Masterson and Flynn Morrison also starred.

“Last Man Standing” was ahead of the curve in the cultural sense as Allen played a conservative-minded patriarch who runs a sporting goods store and opines about the modern world, including political topics such as Obamacare and environmental policy.

The cancellation and word that its 8:30 p.m. companion “Dr. Ken” is also on shaky ground suggests that ABC may be re-thinking its Friday 8-9 p.m. comedy berth after leading off the night with sitcoms since the fall of 2012.

Canceled TV Shows in 2017: What’s Not Returning

1. I am one of the most liberal left audience you can find, but I watch this show routinely and the reruns on Hallmark several times each weeknight because, get this ABC, it’s GOOD. If you can’t be open minded enough to watch something as easy going as this, perhaps you shouldn’t be making or watching television yourself, much less canceling things like this. Tim Allen deserves to be heard.

2. Janine Shirley says:

I only looked forward to two shows every week. Last Man Standing and NCIS. The media is supposed to be neutral when it comes to show content. You’re allowed to promote liberal values, but not conservative? Throwing away a show that has a high viewership is NUTS. Very, very depressed over this. The humor on the show was based around the fact that everyone has different opinions, but can still get along. Wake-up and change your mind, Please!!

3. Lori says:

The petition to ABC to bring back Last Man Standing now has almost 400,000 signatures and
    ABC still ignores us . We were their viewers. They care Nothing about us!! PLEASE BOYCOTT
    ABC!!

4. Gordon Willoughby says:

ABC Sucks

5. DamieRodriguez says:

EVERYBODY . . . Pass this on . . .
    Contact ABC at abc.go. com/feedback
    tell them to keep Last Man Standing on the air. If enough people complain they might change their minds it’s been done before.

• Broderius says:

Please do not cancel (THE LAST MAN STANDING) I Iove this show, I think it is the best show on TV…

6. DamieRodriguez says:

ABC – COME ON!!! Why do you cancel GOOD clean family entertainment and keep garbage like the Bachelor? Please reconsider it is such an awesome group of actors. Move it to a different night just don’t cancel it.

7. Bobbie Boehmer Schmitt says:

It’s a real shame! One of the cleanest, funniest sitcoms that was on tv. Covered real life stories and events. Liberal left took another casualty. Shame on Hollywood!!!!

8. Last Man Standing is one of the best shows on TV and if cancelled, I will not watch anything on the ABC or Hallmart stations. Bad decision to cancel this show.

9. Phil Donaghue says:

ABC’s Head of Programming said, ““…we have a lot of shows that feature very well-to-do, well-educated people, who are driving very nice cars and living in extremely nice places,” Dungey said at the Content Media summit in London per U.K. outlet C21 Media.
    “But in recent history we haven’t paid enough attention to some of the true realities of what life is like for everyday Americans…”

So she cancelled Last Man Standing but somehow had room to bring back Rosanne! Boycott ABC and its parent company Disney.

10. Ron Coomes says:

What is wrong with the higher ups ???? Cancelling this program is wrong wrong wrong. We are teaching our children the wrong way things. If you don’t agree with our way of thinking. Do away with controversy. Nobody is wins. There are NO LOSERS !!!! What the hell is wrong with the people who run ABC???? Walt Disney is rolling over.

11. Helen Bedd says:

WE all know why it was canceled and, surprise surprise, it wasn’t the ratings…it was the conservative view point. Sell it to a cable network.

12. Stephen Lawrenz says:

Does anyone at Disney have a clue about what American really want for entertainment? First ESPN and now Last Man Standing. If it ain’t broke, please don’t try to “fix” it or get rid of it. I pray that someone with a desire to entertain Americans picks up Last Man Standing. Thanks to all the writers, cast and crew of that wonderful show.

• Jeff Johnson says:

and we all know anytime they get a chance, conservatives love to cry and play the victim, rating were down, show gets canceled, that’s the way of the world.

13. Carol R. Wright says:

Last Man Standing was their only show I watched!!!!! I am extremely upset that it was cancelled! Please bring it back!!!!

14. illinoisatlarge says:

Last Man Standing was the only Friday show I watched or taped. That pretty much leaves zilch for Fridays on TV. I may as well enjoy going out instead, especially given the manure that goes for most of the other offerings. Too bad.

15. Phil Donaghue says:

Please contact ABC’s advertisers because money talks. The companies that are the strongest supporters of ABC include Dell, Lyrica, Brighthouse Finanical, Humira, Living Spaces, Otezla, Flonase and 800 Quit Now and, of course, Disney.

16. Eddie V says:

Last Man Standing had me laughing so hard, good clean and non violent/sexual content, great for the whole family. ABC= Always Belittling Christians… Always Bashing Conservatives..

.A Boycott Commencing…

17. Shauna says:

We loved The Last Man Standing. Good wholesome family show. I hear they are bring back Rosanne. Wow ABC you have dropped the ball.

18. pAUL j. wARDc says:

Bring Back Last Man Standing,

• Orsen Pinder says:

ABC canceled LMS because taking comedy off FRI nites …could have moved it to another nite..also just added Roseanne to its new shows??? sounds like….

19. nancy matthews says:

I am so sad they cancelled LMS. Always makes me laugh and forget problems from the day. Not many shows do that today. I am a reality junkie but started watching LMS by accident and have never missed an episode. ABC should really reconsider. BIG MISTAKE!!!!!!!!!

20. Diana says:

We think that both Last Man Standing and Sleepy Hollow should come back on TV. Maybe the cable networks could make more new episodes of both shows. Sleepy Hollow would be perfect on the SyFy network along with Grimm and Last Man Standing would be perfect somewhere on cable.

21. Lisa Faulkner says:

One of the funniest shows on Television. I didn’t t know that Tim Allen was conservative. I thought he was playing a role . Please ABC Please put my show back on. It was funny, enjoyable and relevant!

22. Cynthia B. says:

If there’s any way to BOYCOTT ABC for cancelling LAST MAN STANDING, I will do it. ABC, you made a bad move….a bad, bad move!!!

23. Amy Jones says:

ABC and most major station are liberals who can’t handle the show. Now if it was about girls sleeping with each other or guys sleeping with each other swinger groups they be all over that.

• Annie M. says:

If you think ABC and most major stations are liberals, who do you think put the show on in the first place?????? They said the ratings were slipping. It’s all about the money. politics has nothing to do with it.

24. John W. Vancouver, WA says:

It’s ratings weren’t “waning”. What a crock, Variety. It got canceled because Hillary’s friends at the top of ABC are still pouting about getting their asses handed to them. Don’t make up facts to support these jerks, Variety.

25. Rick Bigham says:

Bring back Last Man Standing. It does not make sense removing such a good show.

26. Daniel Torpea says:

I will be boycotting ABC, I hope the network that picks up Last Man Standing , which I’m sure a great show like this will be, will air it opposite of ABC’s top shows so they will see what a huge mistake they made ignoring all the fans that were capable of upsetting a huge political race. It’s been proven that the forgotten masses are not going to sit back and be ignored. This is a perfect time to send the networks and hollywood a clear message that we are done with being ignored. I’m not a Trump supporter but I hate bullies, which is what they’re looking like with this move and many other things I’ve seen. I’m tired of them deciding what the masses will watch and trying to silence anything and anyone that doesn’t think like they do and I believe they have started going to far and it’s becoming very obvious to everyone.

27. Cynthia Clopton says:

I absolutely abhor the left-wing media–why are no conservative shows allowed, only left-wing shows from liberals!?! “Last Man Standing” is a two-sided, bold, funny to the bone, show that had BOTH sides of political views (mostly left-wing I might add). What in the world is wrong with you liberals?!? Why can’t you handle seeing or hearing the other side?!? It’s obvious to me that all you liberal media people are just the typical ‘don’t want to have anyone show anything conservative’ on TV!!!!!

28. Michael Brotherton says:

Well… now ABC will suck-ass completely. Moving along.

29. Chris says:

Wow! One of the funniest shows on TV…too bad. Other than Jeopardy & Wheel, this was the only show I watched on ABC.

30. Barb says:

Just about the funniest show on TV. This is one that always gets laugh out loud reactions from me. I’ll never accept that the fact the star of the show being so overtly anti-liberal isn’t the reason it’s been canceled. I’ve always been amazed that he got away with so much, but loved every minute of it. The conservation public has SO few TV shows that slant our way – what a shame we’re losing the top one. Shame on ABC and the nerds in charge.

• Barb says:

Sorry I wrote “conservation” instead of “conservative” . Also, this is the 2nd really funny comedy that’s been canceled recently; Mike and Molly was the other one. This leaves me with no funny shows to watch anymore – just violence and politics mixed in with sex. Wonderful “family” entertainment. There’s so little to watch even though we have dozens of channels to choose from. Guess I’ll be reading more books.

31. Stevo says:

Sad. Great show, top writing. You don’t have to be one or the other side to enjoy this show. Not many shows you can say that about.

32. Jim Haynes says:

We need that show to last. It is a great family show, something that is hard to come by now days. BRING IT BACK!!!!!!
    Come on you naïve, liberal, Hollywood people.

33. zenflo says:

ABC is changing Friday to tween-friendly fantasy dramas. Against this backdrop, the ratings for LMS have plateaued, and the strength of recent scripts has been called into question — even by some of the show’s supporters in this string.

LMS has enough years in the can for assured, endless syndication, and its audience is skewing older with each passing year, away from the coveted, “desirable demographics.”. LMS is not on the radar with today’s broader youth culture. And as the saying goes, “Youth will be served.”

34. (Ej) Joyce says:

WTH! Is wrong w Television these DAYS. WHY WOULD U TAKE AN AWESOME SHOW……OFF THE AIR LIKE *LAST MAN STANDING*!
    HOLY CRAP! WHATS WRONG W U PEOPLE.
    U KNOW THERES HARDLY ANY GOOD FAMILY SHOWS ON ANYMORE.
    NOW! YR GONNA TAKE OFF ONE OF THE ALMOST ONLY GOOD, WAIT NO, GRRRRRRRREAT FAMILY SHOW ON TV!
    HERE’S A NEW CHALLENGING, IF U DONT WANT *LAST MAN STANDING* TO BE CHANCELED, MAKE A BIG SIGH, PUT IT IN YR FRONT YARD, EITHER MAKE A VIDEO OR PIC, W SIGH, EXPLANING WHY U LOVE *LAST MAN STANDING*.
    I M SO TRIED OF GOOD SHOW GETTING CHANCELED. TIM ALLEN NAILED IT, W THIS SHOW AND I WOULD LIKE TO SEE HIM KEEP NAILING IT FOR AT LEAST 3 TO 5 MORE YRS, OR MORE!
    AT LEAST W THIS SHOW YR ACTLLY ARE LEARNING SOMETHING…….ITS CALLED……..FRIENDSHIP, FAMILY, HUNTING, AND MY FAVORITE BASHING POLITICS FOR THE STUIPED THINGS THEY DO, IN A FUNNY WAY. But think about it yr learning about the politics.
    IT’S NOT LIKE TIM ALLENS HURTING ANYONE AND AS FOR THE POLITICIANS WHO HAVE A PROBLEM W THIS, I SAY PUT YR BIG GIRL PANTIES ON AND GROW UP…. ITS ALL DONE IN FUN….
    THE SHOW SHOWS US THAT WE CAN HAVE GOOD PLAYFUL BANTER WITHOUT HURTING ANYONE. IT ALSO SHOW HOW A FAMILY WORKS TOGETHER TO MAKE IT WORK! (W DOESN’T SEEM TO MATTER ANYMORE)
    OK …… SO I COULD GO FOREVER ABOUT THIS…..BUT IM ONLY ONE OPINION…… TO MAKE THIS WORK AND SHOW THE NETWORK THAT YOU AS THE POEPLE DONT WANT THE SHOW TO BE CHANCELED, U NEED TO DO LIKE TIM ALLEN SAYS………….VOICE YR OPINION……. BUT NOT DISRESPECTFUL AND NOT W VIOLENCE…… CAUSE LETS FACE IT U REALLY DO GET MORE FROM SUGAR THEN U DO SALT!
    OK , PEOPLE PASS THIS AROUND, GET IT OUT THERE,, ITS UP TO U, NOW TO LET THE NETWORKS KNOW THAT U WANT THEM TO KEEP *LAST MAN STANDING* ON THE AIR!
    NOW THAT I FEEL LIKE I JUST DID A VOLOG FOR OUTDOORMAN…….
    EXIT STAGE LEFT AND PEACE OUT!
    EJ Marella

35. Mary says:

I am a Canadian so I really don’t care about the U.S. politics, we have our own issues and they are just as bad. I do like Last Man Standing though. They have managed to show both sides of the coin and doing it respectfully. He is on one side and the family of females are on the other. It manages to show every day situations that a lot of families are going through and how the show would handle it, a little bit of realism.
    We all have our own opinion and I respect that. Really what is the difference when stations allow people like Kimmel and others and award show actors spout their opinion? People watch shows to escape just for a half hour sometimes from the hate, crime etc on the streets which is infesting our countries. I am not a bigot or a racist, just don’t try and force someone elses opinion down my throat. Recently I was asked to put a sign on our lawn for the councillor for my territory, my answer was no thank you then my vote would not be secret would it. I got no answer.
    There will always be other options, channels, DVD’s so no matter what i will watch what I want, when I want and where I want. Truth be told I watch so little on ABC it will be no loss.
    TV is so filled with absolute nonsense, reality garbage that is scripted, violence, and on and on. I have been watching a lot of my DVD’s, retro comedy, that makes me laugh and you know what I don’t care about the content, I want to laugh and be happy if only for a short time.

36. The domestic comedy produced by 20th Century Fox TV was a durable player for the network in the Friday 8 p.m. berth, and it has been a solid performer for 20th TV in syndication. But RATINGS HAVE WANED in the show’s sixth season.

read it and weep conservatards…its called BUSINESS…NATURE TAKING IT COURSE.. surely you wouldn’t want a failing program artificially propped up just to make one portion of the population happy.

PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH AND SUCK IT UP TRUMPANZEES!!

LMAO

37. Melody says:

Let’s do it!!! BOYCOTT ABC!!
    I not only can’t believe their taking off about the only real comedy (meaning the show was actually funny & made u laugh) program since they canceled the other true comedy show Mike & Molly. In all the texts I saw about the show, it said the ratings were high!! So really, what is it with ABC?? Y would u cut a show that has high ratings & makes money for you? How stupid is that? & since it had high ratings,Y don’t the executives take it to court, & try & keep it going? They have a legit reason since they say the ratings were good! But yet they keep The Big Bang Theory, or Modern Family & they’ll pay them a fortune for their stupid humor, but then take good shows off like LMS & Mike & Molly. Their shows had quick wit & actually great humor, but won’t keep them around bcuz they don’t want to pay them the money. That’s bcuz their paying those other two shows I mentioned a fortune for a half an hour comedy. & their not even funny!! All the shows I like, seem to go off the air. It’s sad the way they rate them anyways. By rating them live, there’s a lot of shows that are really good that go off the air, bcuz most people DVR their favorite show so u can fast forward thru commercials, & get back to the show. I heard that they don’t rate or can’t rate shows if u watch them DVR, which is really sad, since that’s what most people do now adays…

38. Jack Steveson says:

There other networks to watch And I will be watching them. No more last man standing. No more Abc

39. Bob Dutton says:

What is wrong with you people. Cancelling Last Man Standing NOT COOL

40. Bruce McMillen says:

Last Man Standing was a show with realism, to be canceled means that ABC is no longer on my network list. I am extremely sorry that you may have been offended by his wit, especially in connection to politics, however it was a breath of fresh air for other programs.

41. Terry says:

Why are you canceling Last Man Standing it is one of your best shows. My family will be boycotting ABC from now on. Hope you change your mind. We need to have more shows like this with a different message. HOPE YOU DON’T CANCEL LAST MAN STANDING.
    Terry

42. Jacque Carman says:

NOOOOOO, DON’T TAKE MY FAVORITE SHOW OFF THE AIR!!!!!
    “LAST MAN STANDING”
    TIM ALLEN

I WILL INDEED, BOYCOTT ABC!!!

Pretty sick of George Stephanopoulos anyway. GMA has gotten away from reporting the news and has gotten more into imposing their own opinions about the news.

Tim, take this wonderfully funny show to another network!!!
    I WILL FOLLOW YOU!!!!!

43. Phil Donaghue says:

This a an obvious and blatant move by ABC to silence everything, even a sitcom, that does not walk in lock-step with the political beliefs of the wildly liberal entertainment industry based out of Los Angeles. I will vote on this cancellation with my viewership by not watching ABC/Disney. I will also not be buying products from those companies that are the strongest supporters of ABC including Dell, Lyrica, Brighthouse Finanical, Humira, Living Spaces, Otezla, Flonase and 800 Quit Now and, of course, Disney.

44. Ashley says:

So shows with nudity and curse words are the way to go. I mean come on ABC you can’t have one show that has the traditional family with some friendly political perspective. I can’t believe the industry has become this way. I guess I will no longer be watching anything on ABC well the last man standing was the only show I tuned in on so see ya later.

45. Ken says:

Who gives a flip about ABC anymore? They’ve done themselves in with canceling the one show I enjoyed watching on their network. I’m sure I’m not alone. Last Man Standing is the best!

46. Dennis Riordan says:

Our country is in disarray. Washington politicians are useless and are constantly at each others throats. Now ABC, whom my family watches quite often, decides to cancel a popular and great show -Last Man Standing- for political reasons. We need laughs not more fighting with each other. ABC you are now cancelled from our viewing time.

47. Rena Tedrow says:

Since ABC no longer wants it, maybe Netflix or Amazon does. I sure do.

48. Aaron K. Elsey says:

Last Man Standing i a great show and ABS is making a huge mistake. They are keeping shows like Scandal!!! Really. A show about a woman who falls in love with the President. Yeah what a story line. Last Man Standing was great comedy and fun to watch.

49. Give us back Last Man Standing!!! It one of the few shows that actually shows what real life in a family is like! ABC should be ashamed of themselves!!! Every time you have a show people really like you cancel it! Obviously you don’t pay attention!! Tim Allen and the cast do a great job and we the viewing public want it back!!! Please!!!!

50. Last man standing is one the remaining decent funny shows left. Cancel the View and leave this alone.