Kellyanne Conway Apologizes for Bowling Green ‘Massacre’ Remark, Spars With CNN’s Jake Tapper

Kellyanne Conway has been under fire in the past week for referencing a Bowling Green “massacre,” which never actually happened, and returned to CNN Tuesday to offer a mea culpa… and to spar with anchor Jake Tapper.

“Let me just say we have a very high respect for the truth and I can only speak for me and I’m sorry that I misspoke,” she said. “We have a high regard for the facts.”

“I regretted it tremendously because I used the wrong word to describe something several times,” she went on. “I felt badly about that and I apologize and I rectify.”

Related

Donald Trump angry showrunner-in-chief

Judges Weigh Whether to Reinstate Trump’s Travel Ban

“You cited a massacre that didn’t happen, you said the media didn’t cover it,” said Tapper.

“What I meant is the media didn’t cover the masterminds,” Conway answered. Despite her apology, Conway, in the 25-minute-long conversation, doubled down on her criticism of the media, standing by a list of 78 events related to global terror that the White House claims went “underreported” by the press.

Tapper spoke in defense of CNN, telling Conway, “Saying that we don’t cover terrorism, that’s just false. It’s offensive.”

“What the president is saying is … that there are other attacks that don’t get as much coverage,” she said.

She stopped short, however, of agreeing with President Donald Trump’s assertion that CNN is “fake news,” as he alleged in his first press conference as president. “Are we fake news, Kellyanne?,” pressed Tapper. “Is CNN fake news?”

“I don’t think CNN is fake news,” Conway said. “I think there are some reports everywhere, in print, on TV, on radio, in conversation that are not well researched and are sometimes based on falseness.”

Conway has faced backlash due to her comments on the truth in recent weeks. In an appearance on NBC’s “Meet the Press” last month, Conway defended White House press secretary Sean Spicer’s claims on the size of Trump’s inauguration crowd by calling them “alternative facts.” As host Chuck Todd corrected her, “Alternative facts are not facts. They’re falsehoods.”

Watch the full interview above.

1. GREG.BENDZ says:

He is a Rich piece(WHAT IS ON HIS DESK )That SHOULD have been Fired Before Anyone Hired Him Must be great to have a rich history When REAL NEWS PERSONS WOULD DO ANYTHING FOR THE JOB NOT THE FIRST TIME HE HAS SAID I’M BAD (WAS DONE WITH HIS I AT THE BEGINNING AND iiiii sMALL i FOR THE APOLOGY (CRAP APOLOGY AT BEST ,OR MAYBE SOME ONE CAN EXPLANE I@i PEOPLE DDDDOOOOONNNNOOOOTTTTTT CARE IF HE CAN GET THE EDITOR OR HIS BOSS A SEAT FOR ANY SHOW WITH HIS FAMILY NAME CAN NOT BE WHY HE HAS A JOB
    PLEASE GIVE JOB TO SOMEONE THAT REAL

hired

2. Alicia says:

So, just saying, no-one sees the problem of spending an entire week going after someone for a gaff on terrorism, but spending very little, or zero, time covering (what was it?) 78 instances of actual terrorism? Or contrasting those 6.5 dozen examples with President Obama’s parting assertion that ‘no instances happened on his watch’? It’d seem by comparison that Conway’s gaff fails to compete in either delusion or scale. So why all the airtime?

• Alex says:

This is not a gaffe. She repeated it on three separate occasions and even went as far as to say that the massacre took the lives of soldiers. Not could have. Not would have. Did. She didn’t misspeak, she spoke from ignorance and hoped no one would call her on it. And, as has been disputed and reputed, the acts of terrorism on their list WERE covered.

You’re defending liars, and bad ones at that.

• Alicia says:

Wow Alex, that was quite the Olé (dodge) of all of my points. I don’t have stock in Conway Inc. To speed the chat along, great, she’s a liar. And no, the Media self-admitted they had only covered about 72% of the terrorist acts, and even then had rather dishonestly tried to act as though (for example) Turkish Muslim immigrants etc were ‘American’ in their coverage to play down opposition to infinite open borders. Yet even this was not my point. I was saying: ZOMG, 78 (!!) acts of terrorism by Muslims on US soil is a Lot, and now I think I agree with vetting, because I’m not A) Insane, or B) paid by anyone to shill for open borders. But my larger point was this: Why have an entire week-long go at Conway, rather than a week-long go at any of the dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens of instances of people yelling Aluh Akbar while shooting or bombing or knifing of driving over actual American citizens, (Us!), .. or, at least, bat an eyelash about President Obama’s “gaff” that ‘no instances of terrorism happened on his watch’? Um, because, yes, they frighteningly well did. Dozens and Dozens and Dozens and Dozens.

3. Rex says:

Well, at least we know the Trump Stasi has all the intel on the “masterminds” behind this horrendous attack on mom, freedom and apple pie. The innocent victims of Bowling Green shall be avenged!

Or something.

4. Akamar says:

Ugh… She just keeps side stepping the matter. She’s basically saying “we really just wish you’d talk about what we want to talk about.”

5. Reader says:

A “high regard” for the truth, Ms. Conway? “Truth” should be an absolute…not subject to gradation. What a maroon.

6. Ivan says:

She criticizes false reporting by bold face lying. Hypocrisy much