Jim Caviezel Boards CBS’ Navy SEAL Pilot as Lead

Jim Caviezel
StarPix/REX/Shutterstock

CBS’ Navy SEAL drama pilot has found its leader. Familiar CBS face Jim Caviezel has signed on to the untitled project, Variety has learned.

Caviezel will play Jason, the respected, committed leader of his assault team who’s been through over a dozen deployments. He joins A.J. Buckley, who plays the self-destructive, on-edge but loyal Sonny; Max Thieriot, a millennial SEAL who is extremely capable but deeply insecure beneath layers of swagger and confidence; Neil Brown Jr. as Ray, the longest-tenured member of Jason’s assault team, and his most trusted friend and colleague; and Toni Trucks as Diaz, the logistics officer who is responsible for making the arrangements to get the team and their gear where they need to be.

The pilot, about the lives of elite Navy SEALs as they train, plan and execute the most dangerous, high-stakes missions our country can ask, hails from “Justified” and “Sneaky Pete” scribe Ben Cavell, who will write and exec produce. Chris Chulack is exec producer and director, with Sarah Timberman and Carl Beverly also exec producing for CBS Television Studios.

Caviezel, who spent five seasons on CBS fighting crime alongside Michael Emerson in “Person of Interest,” is repped by ICM and attorney Frank Stuart.

1. Wheels99 says:

Fantastic! Can’t wait.

2. I am so happy with this new role for Jim Caviezel, such an excellent actor!

3. I am so very excited about this new show for Jim Caviezel. He has always been a big supporter of the military. This is a dream role for him I’m sure. Hope CBS sees what a great show this CAN be! Ready to have him back on my TV again on a weekly basis. Still miss Person of Interest and John Reese.

4. Karen Koon says:

Can’t wait for this next TV series with Jim Caviezel. He is an excellent actor. I have been a huge fan since he hit the big screen

5. xfiler93 says:

Well, I hope it better than his other show. At the end they had lesbians and all kinds of dimwitted eps. Was great at first, but veered into gay tokenism. Pathetic.

6. brunofnv says:

Another navy seal, TV Show ???
    Jesus really , why ????
    Isn’t JAG , and NCIS and NCIS LA more than enough for a century ?!?!?!?!

7. ludivine Vernet says:

as everyone else here I am delighted that Jim will be in a news series. Can’t wait the only problem is that I live in France so who knows when we will get it over here.

8. Lisa Henrich says:

I am so happy he’s in a new show, I have been PRAYING for him to come back on TV, he’s such a great actor.. :) :) :) :)

9. Linda B says:

Love Jim ! Great pick!

10. Another Poster says:

I am so glad to read that Jim Caviezel, and most of the cast of Person of Interest, has found new roles since the end of the program, (cancelled because CBS did not own it and make enough money of it to renew it, even though the 18 – 49 demo ratings were very good).
    He’s a great actor and deserves to find good work, as do all talented people in front and in back of the camera.
    The revolving door of television, movies, and the theater works it’s magic for people who have the skills to earn the public’s attention.

11. Kira says:

Absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE Jim Caviezel. Will watch everything he is in and already beginning to like his character Jason!

12. Jeff Harner says:

So happy for this love Jim Cavizel and AJ was great in CSI New York and Justified, can’t wait for this

13. John Th says:

The problem with TV is everything looks cheap. I’d rather see a movie-feel TV show with only 20 episodes, than a cheap-looking TV show with 100 episodes.

• DACK says:

Very good point! I love Vikings on the History Channel and they have movie quality production with a lot less episodes. I do believe Person of Interest had that as well – their quality on every episode was exceptional however I do agree that less episodes work better 16-18 seems like a good #. This alleviates the “rushed” feel as well as it helps to create a richer storyline that tends to keep a viewer more engaged as opposed to a recycled one – just my opinion of course :)

14. DACK says:

As do I Carolyne! Sounds like a perfect fit as he has often expressed great respect over the years for the Navy Seals – fun fact – he was trained by them for the movie he was in GI Jane with Demi Moore and Viggo Mortensen. Looking very much forward to this series. I adored Person of Interest!

15. Carolyne says:

I love Jim Cavizel and Im so happy we will be seeing him soon in navy Seal!