Naomi Watts’ ‘Gypsy’ Canceled After One Season at Netflix

Gypsy Season 1
Alison Cohen Rosa/Netflix

Gypsy” will not be returning for a second season at NetflixVariety has confirmed.

The series followed Jean Holloway (Naomi Watts), a Manhattan therapist with a seemingly picturesque life who begins to develop intimate and illicit relationships with the people in her patients’ lives. In addition to Watts, the series starred Billy Crudup, Sophie Cookson, Lucy Boynton, and Karl Glusman.

Lisa Rubin wrote the series, which was directed by “Fifty Shades Of Grey’s” Sam Taylor Johnson as well as Victoria Mahoney and Coky Giedroyc. It was produced for Netflix by Universal Television and executive produced by Rubin, Naomi Watts, Sean Jablonski, and Liza Chasin.

The series received mixed reviews upon its premiere in June, with Variety’s Maureen Ryan writing in her review, “[The] series — which derives its questionable and incongruous title from the Stevie Nicks song that plays during the opening credits — just plods along through the minutiae of Jean’s life and lies, going nowhere very slowly.”

This is the latest in a string of cancellations at Netflix. The streaming service has pulled the plug on “The Get Down,” “Girlboss,” and “Sense8” in the past few months. Other recent cancellations include “Marco Polo” and “Bloodline.” However, “Sense8” will air a two-hour finale special that is expected to air in 2018.

On Thursday, Netflix announced that they had renewed the freshman half-hour dramedy “GLOW” for a second season. Boasting “Orange Is the New Black” creator Jenji Kohan as an executive producer, the series tells the fictionalized story of a real-life all-female pro wrestling TV show from the 1980’s.

Deadline first reported this news.

1. DrSook says:

Netflix should let GYPSY have one last episode to wrap it up. It was a weird story, unsavory & far fetched, with nerve-jangling music throughout. But it was tense, erotic- ish, and complex- with mostly superb performances.why do so many call it boring or slow? Shortened attention spans from GOT?
    Let it end… give it a decent ‘termination.’

2. I can’t believe those of you saying you’ll cancel just because they dropped Gypsy. Get real. You won’t do it. They don’t cancel shows based on critics, they cancel because NOBODY WATCHED THEM. They can’t carry shows without ratings. Get over yourselves, realize they don’t program for the miniscule, tiny amount of people who actually enjoyed something, and go find another show you’ll like. As they have plenty of content. Expecting ANY network or streaming service to never cancel under-performing shows is an absolutely ridiculous, unrealistic and juvenile reaction. Grow up.

3. Wow, I LOVED this show, & thought the writing, direction AND acting was great overall, especially Naomi.

I have NO idea what show you guys watched, I was on the edge of my seat the entire time & am REALLY PISSED it was canceled & I can’t get more backstory to fill in the gaps.

How many episodes did you actually watch? And tell the TRUTH.

4. Kate says:

Instead of canceling crap shows like this though, Netflix should be more picky in what they green-lit in the first place. They have a good amount and variety of quality original shows.

5. Kate says:

Gypsy was pretty bad all around, especially the writing. I’m surprised it got green-lit in the first place. And Watts has never been above doing crap, like Diana in most recent memory.

6. morninggrazer says:

I was interested in the concept but it all just kind of became noise and it just wasnt memorable, i can barely remember a plotline except lesbian with an accent is somewhere in there. hopefully the OA joins the cutlist, and we’ll never speak of it again. shimmer lake was cool, fargo meets memento one shot series, the Ozarks may be nice to see a season 2 there but i havent finished the first yet.

• I’m so mixed on The OA. It’s a horrendous show in many ways, yes, but I found myself drawn into it, despite it’s flaws (and boy were there ever flaws). I’d actually like to see another season, if for no other reason than to see if their writing, and the plot, improve. At least rise to the level of B-level horror. But let’s me fair. It’s not that bad. It’s not like it’s written by some third-world dictator’s mistress’s mentally challenged film-school brother. That might actually be an improvement.

7. J Radd says:

How Gypsy, the Naomi Watts vehicle, even got made in the first place is unbelievable. Naomi Watts is too talented an actress to have agreed to do this. Talk about having bad management, that they would pitch this to her.

This show was one of the worst written and directed shows ever to be produced.
    An interesting concept ruined by talentless writing.

8. Leah Fether says:

I wouldn’t say Bloodline was cancelled, it wasn’t meant to be drawn out…do these writers even watch the shows they write about?

9. Susan says:

Totally agree with Melissa. Very disappointed to hear of the cancellation. Gypsy is a very smart, artful and deep look in the mirror at our society – and our individual contributions. I desire and respect bold programming – not bowing to a certain consensus of critics. Hoping Gypsy finds another platform, and if so, I’m there. Not feeling good with Netflix – at all.

• Really?? Artful???
      Not sure what kind of people you know, but I don’t see ANY similarities with the lives of the people in Gypsy and my own. I can’t really feel any empathy for most of the characters, as they just seem so vile and selfish. Aside from maybe her husband and child. But this isn’t a mirror of society. Not even close. People don’t live like this.

They didn’t cancel it because of critics – they never do. They cancelled it because nobody watched it. At least, not past the first episode or two. I (and probably you) are likely two of the only ones.

10. MELISSA says:

I am really disappointed that they cancelled Gypsy…I think I will stick with Amazon Prime..They have more diverse programming and are willing to take risks. Netflix ..stop worrying what critics think and worry about your customers.

11. Allan Falk says:

Kardashian show finally got cancelled ? about time

12. Roger says:

Actually i’m surprised people watched that shit show.

13. Brittany says:

It was a show besides Orange is the new black that i truly enjoyed and the mystery had me on the edge of my seat. So now i will be cancelling my netflix account. I have Hulu so I’ll be good

14. The Truth says:

This show took a protracted period to lock in, but the season finale cliffhanger — suggesting that Watts’ increasingly complicated and kinky deceptions are about to be catastrophically revealed — left a strong impression that the best was yet to come. A two-hour wrap-up episode is definitely in order.

15. I mean… Gypsy is a RACIST SLUR against Romani. AND through using the slur as their title Netflix fueled the exotification and fetishism of Romani women. They deserved this.

• The Truth says:

Get a grip. This show had nothing to do with objectifying Romani women, nor does the Stevie Nicks song from which the title was taken. Save your righteous indignation for a more fitting target.

16. Maxly says:

Netflix is pouring too much money into too many different (often mediocre) original series, which they then fail to sufficiently publicize, even within the app itself.

17. A guy says:

Too bad. This was an interesting show that had places to go. It was drawn out but then so are most shows these days.

18. Fernando says:

This cancellation is so ‘unexpected’, since I couldn’t even be bothered to watch the first episode after reading the summary. Yawn. Next!

19. Bruce says:

I’m sure this is the first of many. I mean weeks after Netflix made headlines about being billions in debt (yet the investors weren’t concerned) Disney decides to stiff them and do their own gig and then stocks fall immediately. Now they are cancelling shows. I love Netflix and this has been sad to watch.

20. XVB1 says:

Netflix. Where movies and TV shows go to die. Did anyone know this one even existed?

• DREW says:

Aww, you think it’s a wasteland. How cute. lel

• morninggrazer says:

i always look closely at the recently added banner list but i could see how it gets missed by some, all depends on your typical content…ive seen friends accounts plastered with cheezy action movies or anime. i tried scrolling to the bottom of the page once, its like the closet you never clean out. i imagine you could mess with someones account by thumbs upping all the movies of a search.result from “boobs”

• XVB1 says:

That’s because it IS a wasteland. Giggle giggle. A huge dump with about 20% awesome content and a bunch of other shit you’ll never watch.