‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Spinoff Lands Straight to Series Order From ABC

ABC Fall Premiere Dates
Courtesy of ABC

ABC has given a straight to series order to a “Grey’s Anatomy” spinoff set in a Seattle firehouse.

The new ABC Studios/Shondaland drama will be spearheaded by “Grey’s Anatomy” showrunner Stacy McKee. Shonda Rhimes and Betsy Beers will exec produce with McKee.

The untitled drama will revolve around a group of “heroic” firefighters. It’s expected to be launched as a planted spinoff that will air as part of an episode of ABC’s veteran medical drama.

“No one can interweave the jeopardy firefighters face in the line of duty with the drama in their personal lives quite like Shonda, and ‘Grey’s’ signature Seattle setting is the perfect backdrop for this exciting spinoff,” said ABC Entertainment president Channing Dungey.

“Grey’s” previously yielded the spinoff “Private Practice,” which revolved around Kate Walsh’s character, Dr. Addison Forbes. That show, created by Rhimes, ran for six seasons from 2007 to 2013.

“Grey’s” has enjoyed a remarkable ratings resurgence during the past two seasons. The show has been a pillar of ABC’s schedule since its debut in 2005. In season 13, the show has averaged a 3.5 rating and 11.3 million viewers in Nielsen’s live-plus-7 ratings.

McKee has been with “Grey’s” since its inception, rising through the ranks from staff writer to showrunner status in the 2015-16 season. She’s repped by UTA.

1. Chicago fire is enough for me.. come up with another idea

2. Shannon says:

I don’t like the new spin off idea. Why not make it about Christina Yang or anohter main character instead? Why the firefighters who you never really see on the show anyway? Doesn’t make sense. I am not excited for this, I agree too many firefighter shows out there. Stick with the medical drama. I say make a spin off about Christina’s practice!

3. Becky says:

First of all – her name was Addison Forbes MONGOMERY.

Second – we already have a PHENOMENAL firefighting TV show created by Dick Wolf…aka Chicago Fire. I cannot stand how new shows deliberately copy ones already on the air.

Shonda, you clearly are having a hard time coming up with new ideas – perhaps its time to give it up.

#OneChicago #ChicagoFire

4. Jenny says:

All she does is copy other people cannot believe that Grey’s Anatomy even had a resurgence must only be down to fourteen year olds because that show is trash these days compared to several years ago. Cannot believe she is simply copying Chicago FIre is is absolutely pathetic and I hope this show flops as those who cheat and copy should never prosper

5. katiekat says:

They just gonna copy Chicago fire lol.

6. One Chicago fan says:

No one can interweave the jeopardy firefighters face in the line of duty with the drama in their personal lives quite like Shonda” – try Chicago Fire. Going into its sixth season and links nicely with others in the chicago franchise.

If she has to copy Dick Wolf cos she’s out if ideas then at least don’t blatantly lie to try and make hers seem so unique. It’s clearly not. I’ll wait for Shonda to do a cop show that links in nicely next that’ll be unique – oh no wait..
    I’ll stick with #OneChicago thanks.

7. Wendy says:

Sounds like a copy of Chicago Fire.

Would be great to see a show that isn’t copied from another network.

8. Bob Carter says:

I hate when producers and writers can’t come up with their own ideas! There is nothing wrong with Chicago Fire. If you want to watch a good fire fighter show turn that on and don’t even water your time with the drivel this team will put together!

9. Firefighters are my HEROS & SHEROS! My dad was a fireman and there were lots of stories at supper time. Shonda and her team excel as storytellers!

10. theresa says:

I am watching Private Practice (all seasons) For the 3rd time. They all did an amazing job, Great show.I wish it was still on.

11. ahcupcake says:

Kate Walsh’s characters name was Addison Forbes Montgomery, Forbes being her middle name

• theresa says:

Kate Walsh did beautiful work as Dr.Addison Forbes Montgomery

• Doug says:

First of all, Greys has been on 13 years. How long has chicago med been on? Code black? Night shift? All networks copy each other and have for years and will continue to do so. I say go for it , and I am not the biggest fan of Rhimes.