‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Star Justin Chambers on Karev’s Fate: ‘He Just Never Seems to Catch a Break’

Justin Chambers Grey's Anatomy
Courtesy of ABC

Last week’s “Grey’s Anatomy” revealed the fate of Alex Karev (Justin Chambers).

After numerous episodes this season dealt with the aftermath of Karev beating up DeLuca (Giacomo Gianniotti), Alex had decided to accept a plea deal, which would put him behind bars. However, he had gone missing and no one knew what he was up to — until last week when suddenly, he surprised Meredith at home.

The episode last week cut with Karev’s surprise return home, begging the question, how did he get out of jail time? Tonight’s ep will reveal all of those details. But first, Variety chatted with Chambers about what to expect now that Alex is back.

Related

Riverdale TV Review The CW

TV Ratings: ‘Scandal,’ ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Return Hot, ‘Riverdale’ Premieres Cool

“I think having everything taken from him — I think he learned a lot there, but I think he appreciates being in peace and he’s very good at what he does and he thrives there,” Chambers explains of how the experience will change Alex.

As for Jo (Camilla Luddington), their relationship will require a lot of work to get back on track. “He was going to take a plea deal to protect his girl. They’re not together right now, but we’ll see where that goes,” Chambers says. “He’s still angry with her, but if anyone knows anything about second chances, it’s Alex. So he has that to think about. She messed up, but there must be a piece of him that still feels for her. Love just doesn’t die like that.”

Whatever happens, Chambers has a personal wish for his character: “I just hope Alex finds some happiness. Crap. He just never seems to catch a break. I’m thinking soon there might be some stability,” he teases.

However, in real life, Chambers is ecstatic to be experiencing 13 seasons of stability…

“It’s a blessing. It’s crazy. It’s so awesome,” the original cast member says of “Grey’s Anatomy’s” flourishing in its 13th season. “With a laugh, he adds, “Even ‘ER,’ I think their ratings dropped a lot in their 13th year.”

1. Shannan says:

In summary, in case you are sick annd tired of working outt
    or purging, starvation to shed pounds you can check out this new “weight-loss trick” because doing so may help
    you achieve excess fat loss goal quickly and naturally.

It does exist, it isn’t a lie, nevertheless iit usuallyy work just on laboratory animals.Losing weight isn’t complicated, nonetheless it’s definitely hard sometimes. http://archerijjg838blog.affiliatblogger.com/318468/muscle-power-supplements-5-truths-about-muscle-structure-supplements

2. Wilma Flintstone says:

This show needs to end. What garbage. I stopped watching 3 years ago and don’t miss it.

3. Guest says:

The problem is, while I do want Alex to have happines and catch a break, he was happy and catching a break in seasons 11 and 12 but that just reduced him to being the supportive friend to everyone who had no own life. We barely saw anything about his private life in those two seasons. He deserves to settle down and start a family and I feel like that won’t happen until he is allowed to have scenes with his romantic partner on the show. How are people supposed to root for Alex and Jo if they never share scenes? I really want to ask the writers that.

4. Lovelight8 says:

I’m just gonna ignore this “she messed up” comment and say thank the Lord that Justin Chambers gave an interview again. Is this stability going to be with Jo or just careerwise? But saying that he can never catch a break is not true, unlike other couples Jo and Alex have lived happily together for nearly four years. Alex had happiness for four years and he did catch a break, at least in his romantic life for once, which had never happened before.

5. S says:

Yikes, is that really how Justin Chambers feels? That Jo messed up? I’m the first to admit that she didn’t handle everything well, especially the proposals, but she tried to keep herself and Alex safe for yesrs, having to live with this huge secret and the dread of being found by her husband. Saying that she messed up without adding that she had her reasons sounds a lot like victim-shaming her, which I’ve seen almost everyone do, so I at least thought the writers and actors wouldn’t do it. But I know what a sweetheart he is so I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt and hope he didn’t mean it in that way. Alex is a grown man who made a mistake. Blaming anyone else for his actions is not right. He wanted to protect Jo from being assaulted but Jo was yelling for him to stop punching and he didn’t listen, so I can’t really blame anyone but him for what he did. But I’m glad there seems to be stability in his future, this trial storyline has been dragged out for too long.

6. Jess says:

I really like Justin Chambers but I found it a little questionable that he said here that Jo messed up by keeping her marriage a secret to protect herself and Alex, but he didn’t say a word about how Alex messed up? Cause I think he’s still the one who truly messed up by beating up Deluca like he did. Or is that a given now with this entire trial storyline and that’s why he only blamed Jo? Because to be honest, I think the Grey’s fandom is already horribly victim-shaming Jo. She should have told Alex but we saw his temper in this storyline, and she knows him better than most people. I think if she had felt like telling him was an option she would have rather done that than to say no to his proposal or lose him. That’s what the people don’t consider in this situation. After all what she did was effective and kept both of them safe for years, and it was NOT the reason Alex beat up Deluca, so why does this fandom react so cruel to the emotional horror and despair a domestic violence victim went through for years? It’s not like it ended, she’s still on the run and still scared to be found and killed. Having to live in constant fear is horrible. I’m glad that Alex will react mostly understandingly. He loves her kore than anything, I’m sure of it. I wonder how that stability will show itself?