‘Goliath’ Renewed for Second Season at Amazon, Clyde Phillips Joins as Showrunner

Goliath Season 2 Amazon
Courtesy of Amazon Studios

Amazon has renewed Billy Bob Thornton’s drama “Goliath” for a second season, Variety has learned.

“Dexter” and “Nurse Jackie” scribe Clyde Phillips will be taking the reins as showrunner and executive producer, joining the executive producer team that includes David E. Kelley, Jonathan Shapiro, and Ross Fineman. Kelley currently has a bit of a full plate: He is currently exec producing HBO’s “Big Little Lies” and is also launching AT&T Audience Network’s “Mr. Mercedes,” based on the Stephen King novel.

“Goliath” centers on a washed-up lawyer (Thornton) who has one shot at redemption after a client he successfully defended from a murder charge went on to slaughter a family. Thornton won a Golden Globe for his performance in January. Speaking to reporters backstage after his win, he indicated that Amazon wanted to do more with the series, and that he was game for another round. “This one was written in a way that it had a beginning, middle and an end…but I honestly believe there is more potential for the show than what was in the first season,” he said. “I think we need to know more about where this guy came from.”

“Amazon is proud of ‘Goliath’ and Billy Bob’s amazing, Golden Globe-winning performance,” said Joe Lewis, head of comedy, drama & VR at Amazon Studios. “Great shows like this help elevate the art of storytelling. We can’t wait to bring our customers a new season soon.”

“Goliath” comes from Amazon Studios, David E. Kelley Productions, and Jonathan Shapiro Productions. William Hurt, Olivia Thirlby, Maria Bello, Molly Parker, Sarah Wynter, Harold Perrineau, Jason Ritter, and others star alongside Thornton.

1. Anthony Showers says:

Just what I was waiting to hear, Great Show!!!

2. Just started watching this a couple of days ago. I’ve never really been a big fan of Thornton’s, but I’m addicted to this show. Can’t wait to finish the first season and start the 2nd season.

3. Phil Correia says:

Thornton at his best!!!!

4. tom conway says:

Real drama. Thornton and cast A1. We need more conventional time lines. Its just so refreshing.

5. Deb says:

My husband and I decided to watch this one night and ended up binge watching in 3 days! It’s an excellent show, and Billy Bob Thornton is at the top of his game!!!!! Can’t wait for the next season!!!!

6. Laurie says:

So happy Goliath was renewed. Loved, loved the series, brilliant

7. Ray in Dallas says:

I honestly want season 2 to be a prequel that sets up season 3 cause we need a time jump to see Cooperman healed and fighting to get his firm back. But I want to see Season 2 show how Billie and Cooperman become friends and form the firm and make it into what it is. You can tell Billie and Cooperman love each other and something happened to have Billie throw a match on him. I suspect it’s because Cooperman orchestrated the murder into killing the family and Billie went off on him.

Anyway that’s what I want season 2 to be about those two guys cause they are brilliant as adversaries and I know they would be brilliant showing them off as friends and then ultimately the last episodes shows Billie setting Cooperman on fire and how they start that season as potential friends then great friends to Billie trying to kill Cooperman I guess. How great would that be and then season 3 we start off 2 years after season 1. Just an idea.

8. Brenda says:

I can’t wait to see where this show takes Billy. He has to now go against the company that he won the suit against. This show is such a breath of fresh air. Billy Bob Thornton is AMAZING! Please let me know when season 2 starts!!!!!

9. Neal Runions says:

Love this show! I was really happy to see it renews. BB Thornton is great. Happy to hear he received the Golden Globe.

• Easti says:

I agree! One of my favorite new shows.
      These people were involved with Dexter and that was one of my favorite shows of all time.

10. Kathy says:

I also checked to see if there was a season 2 after I finished watching season 1. I am a huge Billy Bob Thornton fan and he is unbelievably awesome as Billy McBride. I got so involved it was almost painful at times to watch.Can’t wait for season 2. Maybe they’ll do a prequel.

11. AA Saunders says:

Yes!!! I loved Season 1 and can’t wait for Season 2!!

12. PT Fenimore says:

I just watched the entire series of Amazon’s Goliath season one this weekend (during the snowstorm) for the second time. Billy Bob Thornton gave an absolutely moving performance, you can feel his strength and pain. This series is the best thing I have seen on television made for television. Every element of the show, from the opening credits to the photography and the writing and the individual performances are over-the-top. I did a search after I finished watching, strictly to see if there would be a season two and was happy to find out it was to be renewed. If you have not had the opportunity to view season one, you are in for a treat.

13. Crystal Clements says:

Best show I’ve seen in years.

14. Carolyne Casselberry says:

GREAT news!!!!!

15. This is great news. Series 1 was excellent.