‘Girl Meets World’ Canceled: Disney Channel’s ‘Boy Meets World’ Spinoff Won’t Return for Season 4

Girl Meets World cancelled
Courtesy of Disney Channel

Girl Meets World” has been cancelled after three seasons.

The Disney Channel series, which is a spinoff of the hugely popular ’90s sitcom “Boy Meets World,” starred original cast members Ben Savage and Danielle Fishel.

News of the cancellation was announced on the Twitter account for the “Girl Meets World” writers room Wednesday night with the tweet, “I just officially got the call, and would like to thank this audience for its incredible love and loyalty. Please watch our January episodes.”

Following the tweet, Disney confirmed the cancellation, releasing this statement: “Disney Channel will present the series finale of ‘Girl Meets World’ on Friday, January 20. In the episode, ‘Girl Meets Goodbye,’ the Matthews family contemplates a life-changing decision. We are proud that for over 70 episodes, Michael Jacobs, April Kelly and the talented creative team, cast and crew entertained viewers with an authentic and heartfelt look at navigating adolescence.”

Though the show will not return for Season 4, “Girl Meets World” will continue to air around the world. The first three seasons will also continue to be presented on Disney Channel’s digital platforms, the Disney Channel app and Disney Channel VOD.

Over the holidays, there was much speculation over the fate of the show, as the writers room tweeted cryptic messages, writing that the show’s future was uncertain, and cast members re-tweeted those messages, adding weight to the potential cancellation. When the Season 3 finale wrapped shooting, much of the cast and crew posted farewell messages, as well.

“Girl Meets World” debuted in June 2014, garnering much chatter from nostalgic generations of fans who watched “Boy Meets World.” The show follows the lives of the now adult couple Cory (Savage) and Topanga (Fishel), as they raise their kids Riley (Blanchard) and Auggie (August Maturo) in New York City.

Aside from bringing back original “Boy Meets World” stars — and many original guests, resulting in buzzy TV reunions — the show served as a launching pad for two new stars, Rowan Blanchard and Sabrina Carpenter. Both actresses have also starred in their own Disney Channel Original Movies, have created music and have attracted large fan-bases, like much past Mouse House talent.

During its run, “Girl Meets World” has been nominated for two Creative Arts Emmy Awards for “Outstanding Children’s Program.”

Currently in the midst of Season 3, “Girl Meets World” is set to wrap the season on Jan. 20 at 6 p.m. ET.

1. Yolanda Perez says:

I truly consider this cancellation a travesty. I am 38 years old. Loved watching boy meets world in my younger years. I was ecstatic about girl meets world for many reasons. One this show was wholesome enough for my 11 year old daughter (& son) to watch. We loved watching this show together. They love that we had even this small (huge) connection. They enjoyed watching old clips and my face as I took a stroll down memory lane. We are actually devastated there isn’t a Riley or Maya next season. We only have Netflix as I found regular TV is too obnoxious with racy nasty commercials along with shows. Any way back to the real topic. Girl meets world is amazing and really should be brought back! I hope it’s not because one of the main actors went out on their own.

2. Lisa Cabe says:

As usual when a network finds a show that works and has a good plot line and is decent to watch it has to cancel it typical of the almighty dollar. I am 46 years old and my teenage years was in the eighties there were a lot of good shows back then that you don’t find nothing near it now. I watched Boy Meets World in the nineties and I have enjoyed watching Girl Meets World. I think Disney is wrong for canceling it. And what they bring to replace it probably won’t keep the audience long enough to hold one season.

3. Janette Berendonk says:

Is Girl meets World coming back for a season 4?

4. Ag says:

Horrible news!!! I watched boy meets world as a kid and now am watching girl meets world with my daughter. It’s one of the few shows that she and I can actually watch and enjoy TOGETHER!! Please don’t take that away! Yes, at times the cheese factor has gotten pretty extreme lol. But it was one of the things we both liked about it (just drop it down ONE notch lol). To many of the shows now days are not what I want my children watching (and that has surprisingly in the last few years included many of the shows on Disney). Not all shows have to be about teenagers, doing whatever they want, making smart ass comments, having minimal supervision (because kids think the shows are better without parents in them), AND UNFORTUNATELY the shows are influencing the kids watching them and they are imitating what they see!! Ok, I’ve said what I wanted (it won’t matter because the show is already canceled and will quickly be replaced with a new show that has teenagers acting like smartasses because that’s what’s funny now days) and doesn’t revolve so much around close families and kids that are actually good people and making good decisions. Smh at this. We sh there was some way to save this show because it will be missed 😞

5. Jacki Meechan says:

It’s amazing that Disney would cancel a show like girl meets world which is funny and heartfelt. I am 59 yrs old and started watching because of my 12 yr old niece. Not only are the episodes funny but teaches real life situation. So cancel Girl meets world, and Liv and Maddie. But keep GARBAGE like basardvark. That show is horrible. Even my niece and kids in her class hate it. Whats next Bunk’d another very funny show. Take that off two and you will lose a lot on disney viewers

6. Monique says:

Y’all need to make a season 4, my goddaughter cried when she saw the last episode. I told her it’s never coming back on and she cried again. I’m 32 and I watched all 3 seasons and it was a awesome show to watch. It reminds me of me and my bestfriend. I look at my goddaughter and her bestfriend watch how they react when they watch the girl meets world it makes them closer.. Tv shows like this NEVER needs to end away cause they talk about how life is now and how bestfriends should be. This show brings back memories.

7. Cory says:

So I will say I absolutely loved the show. Thunder, Lightning. If nothing else I say Netflix picks it up. It’d be great, they did a great job with Fuller house and they would kick butt with this. I’m 31 and initially I did start watching it for Cory Matthews as well as Shawn Hunter, but Rowan and Sabrina have done a fantastic job developing their characters.

8. Megan says:

Why did girl meets world get cancel with only three seasons? I wanted to see riley, lucas, farkle, is isadora, maya and zay all grow up and go to collage after entering the 10th, 11th and 12th grade. And go to collage of their choices. I wanted to see riley proposed to lucas at their high school graduation while maya is giving the speech.

• Yolanda Perez says:

Please! You should finish the story. I need to watch the 3rd generation with my future grand kids as I watched them with my sister’s 1st and now with my own children. 100% agreed bring back #GirlMeetsWorld

9. Renee McCaskill says:

why is girl meets world’s beening taken off air i for one think it should should stay on the air

10. Ken Berman says:

It’s a pitty to have a quality show like Girl Meets World go the way of the dodo bird. Disneys short sited thinking has left many confused and angry. It was wholesome and fun to watch.

11. Courtney Crittendon says:

It is a true disappointment to see this show end! It is one of the truly wholesome shows on tv, that i don’t mind my girls watching without me, although as a BMW fan, I also loved GMW and would watch it by myself. I looked forward to the new episodes as much as my girls did. Boo, Disney channel, Boo!! Cancelling a show like this just shows how out of touch you are, no one needs more snotty, sarcastic, unsupervised, entitled kids shows on TV. But I guess Disney Channel doesn’t care about morals and values anymore. Too bad!

12. Terri says:

Disney takes off the good family shows to put shows like “Bizardvark” on. “girl meets world” is a wonderful family shows that teaches values and life lessons and it is just as good as “boy meets world” was. To bad Disney doesn’t ask family circle what they like to watch.

13. Paul Russo says:

In a series of tweets in January 2016, she stated that while she had “only ever liked boys” in the past, she was “open to liking any gender” and therefore she identifies as queer.[

Disney does not like this stuff. I would think double so with a 15 year old star! I knew this she was doomed when I saw this. Told my kids well this show is going to get cancelled now! It sucks, was a good show!

14. Tiffany R Shedd says:

A network station should’ve picked up Girl Meets World. Not everyone had cable. It’s a wonderful show. I’m 45 and I learned from it. So very sad.

15. Noah Meece says:

I have watched every episode and I can’t believe you are ending it.

16. Noah Meece says:

I love this show. You should not, could not cancel it. It was amazing and inspirational. So many times it was the highlight of my day, and sometimes I would just wait for the next episode. I love this show and hope you reconsider canceling it.

17. Dawn Henry says:

Why would you cancel Girl meets world? I watch this show daily and I have not missed an episode;; I think you keep this show and get rid of Bizzardvark..

18. Sandra says:

My family watches this show all the time as we did with Boy Meets World, I had hoped for a few more seasons. Disney you disappoint families everywhere with this decision. Instead go ahead and put another on of the sicko shows on that I will not allow my grandkids to watch. Seems like you lost your “family” style shows that Disney has always been known for. Disney channel will now be put on our parental block list.

19. kevin says:

So sad to see it end. I was hoping it would run through their high school years so my daughter got to see the same lessons that boy meets world showed my sons over a decade ago. It was/is a good show. I wish Disney would reconsider

20. Gena says:

Very disappointed. I’ve watched every episode! Would be great on ABC/CBS or NBC….

21. Robin says:

What is with Disney? They always cancel the good shows (Girl Meets World, Dog with a Blog, Good Luck Charlie) and replace them with lame ones (Bizardvark, Gamers Guide to Pretty Much Everything, Stuck in the Middle, LabRats). WTH Disney???????

22. Barbara Keith says:

This is one of the best shows on television, Disney and other networks. I have watched it with religious fervor with my adult children and grandchildren from age 25 through 7. I’m very disappointed that we can not keep descent family shows.

23. David says:

Could Nickelodeon pick it up?

24. Phyllis says:

I can’t believe they are ending this show so soon it breaks my heart honestly I loved this show as much as I loved boy meets world

25. Mandy Stowe says:

Great show but access to episodes was too limited. None online and few offered on demand. I wish they wld Continue the series considering some of the shows they’ve chosen to keep. Mostly only made popular based on run times of day and amount of episodes showed on rerun..etc .

26. erin says:

Good! Nothing but a cheap remake that rehashed old scripts from the original show.

27. sillykhan says:

LOve this show, It will be missed.

28. little2321 says:

Nooohohohohohohohohoooooooooooooooooooooo You can’t do this I’m cryiiiiiiiing

29. veshurik says:

And Bizaardvakr was renewed on second season. Fuck this shit…

30. Laura Bent says:

This really makes me sad. I really liked the show it was one of the best family shows out there. I hope another channel picks it up for Season 4.

31. Larry says:

Probably shouldn’t have veered so far into heavy handed “social” messages. That impacted the charm and attraction of the cast very badly.

32. Ben says:

It is about time, it was a horribly written show, pretensions pouring out of everyone on the show.
    A truly awful show – good riddance.

33. SP says:

One of the few shows my daughter likes that is acceptable for her age (9):(
    We need more wholesome TV for our tweens!

34. Knightly23 says:

Another great show ending to soon.

35. Bas says:

Disney Channel is so confused with insane competition from Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon and subscription losses. I think it time Disney up it children programming business.

36. Ronald Kaim says:

t’s a good show. but it had a good run.

37. Kirk says:

Not sure how it got renewed after 1 season. The girl who played Riley couldn’t carry the role at all. They should’ve cast the girl who played her best friend. She’s got “it”.

• lou says:

The girl playing Riley is a horrible actress and her character was so obnoxious and acts like a mentally challenged 6 year old. You know you screwed up when the best friend is a better actress and the more likable character. That’s probably why the focus of the show shifted to her midway through season 2.

38. Leonel says:

One of the few shows Disney has that resembles anything when we think of “Disney” . And they only got 3 seasons? I don’t understand Disney morals, or absence thereof. Great cast and writers, best of luck to all, and thank you for such a fine work.
    My 9 year old, will be saddened by the news.

39. Wtf Disney? Seriously WTF?!?! Come on Netflix or freeform pick this up!

40. Girl Meets Sad World Today says:

Although I’m stunned, deep down, I knew that as soon as Rowan tweeted that she identified herself as “queer” the show would be done with. You just do not do that at Disney.

• lheffe20 says:

Typically Disney cancels all shows around the season 3 mark. 70 episodes is a good run. The bigger problem was that the show was geared for tweens when adults were the ones that wanted to watch the show for the nostalgia factor. The cheesey premises didn’t jive with that. They’ve been giving Rowan other work so I think this is unrelated.

• Nicole says:

Only 4 series on Disney Channel were canceled after 3 seasons. Most of their series have had 4 seasons. Yea I get it GMW wasn’t everybody’s cup of tea, but a lot of people are severely pissed off.