Fox News Will Replace Bill O’Reilly With Tucker Carlson

Tucker Carlson Fox News
REX/Shutterstock

In the wake of Bill O’Reilly’s ouster, Fox News Channel issued a talking points memo of its own: Its primetime lineup will maintain a similar tone and attitude even without the person who was arguably the network’s most recognizable anchor in place.

Tucker Carlson, who has held forth in primetime at 9 p.m. and delivered solid ratings, will move to O’Reilly’s 8 p.m. slot starting Monday, April 24. Fox News will fill Carlson’s former berth with its panel show, “The Five,” which will be co-anchored by Kimberly Guilfoyle, Dana Perino, Bob Beckel, Greg Gutfeld, Jesse Watters and Juan Williams will Sean Hannity will remain at 10 p.m.

Additionally, Martha MacCallum will stay at 7 p.m. in a program that will be re-titled “The Story” starting April 28. She has been hosting a program centered on the first 100 days of President Donald Trump’s administration. Eric Bolling, a longtime “Five” contributor and “O’Reilly Factor” substitute anchor, will get a new 5 p.m. show starting May 1.

Getting a new lineup is critical for Fox News. For decades, its primetime schedule remained inviolate. O’Reilly, Hannity (with and without Alan B. Colmes) and Greta van Susteren led three hours of programming that won more and more viewers as the years passed on, eventually drawing more audience than rival CNN. But the network’s audience is accustomed to stability. When Megyn Kelly took over the 9 p.m. slot in 2013, it marked the first time the network had shaken up primetime since 2002.

O’Reilly leaves big shoes to fill, ratings-wise. During his last full week on Fox News Channel, O’Reilly saw his viewers between 25 and 54 – the audience most coveted by advertisers – rise 42%, while overall viewership surged 28%. He regularly delivered between 3 million and 4 million viewers every weekday – people who would then stick around for anchors at 9 p.m. and 10 p.m. On Monday night, Tucker Carlson delivered nearly 2.7 million viewers at 9 p.m., compared with 3.1 million viewers for an “O’Reilly Factor” with a substitute host.

The shifts could leave Fox News vulnerable to new competition. At 9 p.m., MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow has gained new audience. In March, she won more viewers between 25 and 54 than any of Fox’s three primetime programs. And “The Five” will debut in primetime as CNN launches a special week of “The Lead with Jake Tapper” in that time slot.

1. American says:

I have been trying to listen to a variety of news outlets for diversity on political subjects. To be fare, I am not a democrat, or Republican. I have voted for both Presidents’ Bush, Clinton, and Obama. With that said, I find Fox News completely adolescent in their news coverage. Carlson is just the next condescending anchor to grace the airwaves of Fox. There are, as the organization does claim, “fair and balanced” programs at various times throughout the daily programming, but then you end of with these “heads” that over talk guests when they are not sucking up to what they want to hear (Roger Ailes would be proud). My only question is how much is the Trump administration paying these guys to campaign for him?

2. W R Herrington says:

Nothing personal towards Tucker but 8 PM monday to friday will be watching Bill on oreilly,com for bill’s podcast.

3. Willie Paduty says:

fox news rip

4. Paul Buckle says:

Fox news has gone from bad to worse. Tucker Carlson sucks. He is worse than O’reilly and he was worse than Kelly. What a mess they are.

5. Jan jamerson says:

I watch you every night, and the only complaint is have is sometimes you are rude to your guests by interrupting them. Let them finish

6. Yolanda says:

I have watched O’Reilly since day one. I think they are making a big mistake. Can’t stand Tucker. They need Jesse Waters or Judge Jeanine to fill his spot.

7. norybmot says:

Tucker is GREAT! I was in Cobh, Iteland last week and met a nice Irish chap who, upon realizing I was American, volunteered he is a totally rabid fan!!! He loves Tucker’s show, his destruction of left leaning guests. We shared a pint of Guinness together and it was like being at home! Tucker will surpass O’Reilly’s followers and become a “YUUGE” star. Look out lefties!!!

8. tony says:

tucker carlson is one of my favourites. He will do great. What is scary about the oreilly situation was how the left wing media orchestrated a campaign against him with little to no evidence apart from second hand rumours. Bill didnt even get the chance to give his side of the story. The whole thing feels like a manufactured storm in a tea cup by this competitors worried about how he was demolishing them in the ratings

9. rick harper says:

wtg Tucker, you deserve it

10. LDA says:

We much prefer Tucker. If you stand for everything, then you stand for nothing.

11. rashirey1 says:

Fox News has made a HUGE mistake, and as a long time viewer , I am totally done with Fox !

12. Perry Millican says:

Hate to see O’Reilly go; but really hate Tucker Carlson got his spot. Have to turn him off all the time. He and Hannity are not my favorite people. They invite guests on their show and then don’t let them speak. Both are very rude and self-centered in my opinion. Lookout Fox…ratings will plunge! Eric would be much better!

13. Deborah A. Viele says:

Sometime do the research on the semantics of ratings. It’s fascinating! :-)

14. Cheryl says:

Not a huge fan of Tucker, I think Fox is making a big mistake not moving Hannity into O’Reilly’s spot.
    I’m a huge fan of Hannity!

15. Mike Kalish says:

I like Tucker, but won’t watch his show. He brings on controversial guests and then proceeds to argue loudly with them. This is too “Jerry Springer” for me. These guests typically have nothing to offer but outrage. It’s only a matter of time before the sophisticated Fox viewers tire of this.

16. Laura Austin says:

I guess it’s true about biting the hand that feeds you, Bill O’Reilly will always be #1 in my book and opinion :). To bad for you Fox News, your rating will drop off the edge of a cliff from here on in. No more Fox for me from this day forward, it will be BOYCOTTED and hope many other viewers will feel the same way too.

17. Lee says:

I watch Tucker each night and enjoy his show very much…..I will not miss OReilly and will never sink so low the watch Mad Cow.

18. Mark says:

Not a fan of tucker carlson, but it’s good to see fox give a gay man such a prominent stage to spew his self hatred.

19. K. Carr says:

Will likely not be watching FOX any longer. The Five is now the only show worth anything.

20. Delia Vona says:

Tucker Carlson and Sean Hannity, please don’t buckle under the threats from the Democrats, who are searching for trash on any one who opposes their believes. They may be next.

21. Delia Vona says:

I agree with Jenny. Who the hell would would Rachel Maddow?

22. Jenny says:

Why the hell would anyone watch Rachel Maddow? Other blundering idiots I suppose. Yay! For “The Five” in Tucker’s spot!! Can’t wait! Sorry to see Eric leaving but he’s on to bigger things. Excited to hear that Jesse will be taking his spot!! Gonna miss Bill. :(

23. kenneth holcomb says:

Please don’t move Hannity. He deserves to stay his on time slot or earlier.

24. Scott says:

Give Larry Elder his own show on Fox News. It’s his time.

25. Chip Anderson says:

Congratulations Tucker, you sure moved into FOX at the right time.
    I wish I could watch your show, but being on Social Security I can no longer afford cable
    Best of luck. I’ve really enjoyed you in the past.

26. porchmonkey4life says:

They should hire Tomi Lahren.

27. Eunice Jones says:

I will not watch Fox anymore in the time slot of O’Reilly. I like Tucker and Fox should leave him in his own time slot. Fox is bowing to the left wing Media. Bill O’Reilly made Fox News rating move higher than anyone. I believe all who are accusing him should have to back up their claims in court. Good Luck Fox News you are going to need it. Heading to turn my TV off. It is no longer 24-7 Fox News.

28. Nanny Mo says:

Ha! That will be a big mistake for both Tucker and Bill. Wow! What a dumb move.

29. tlsnyder42 says:

This Anti-O’Reilly jihad is nothing but crazy commie claptrap.

30. cadavra says:

Carlson is the textbook example of failing upward.