Scott Baio on ‘Happy Days’ Co-Star Erin Moran: ‘For Me, You Do Drugs or Drink, You’re Gonna Die’

Erin Moran Scott Baio
ABC-TV/REX/Shutterstock

It’s been two days since “Happy Days” star Erin Moran was found dead in her New Salisbury, Indiana home, and her former co-star Scott Baio is already questioning what really killed the 56-year-old actress.

Monday morning, the Harrison County Coroner’s Office and Sheriff’s Department issued a joint statement saying Moran passed due to complications with her stage 4 cancer. The statement added there were no illegal narcotics found at the scene, but Baio thinks her lifetime of drugs and alcohol abuse may have had something to do with her untimely death.

During an interview with “The Bernie & Sid Show,” also Monday, Baio admitted he was “not completely shocked” by his “Joanie Loves Chachi” co-star’s passing.

“I’m OK, a little shocked but not completely shocked that this happened. My thing is, I feel bad because her whole life, she was troubled, could never find what made her happy and content. For me, you do drugs or drink, you’re gonna die. I’m sorry if that’s cold, but God gave you a brain, gave you the will to live and thrive and you gotta take care of yourself.”

This is a stark contrast to his original statement on Twitter Sunday morning:

“May people remember Erin for her contagious smile, warm heart, and animal loving soul,” Baio tweeted in tribute over the weekend.

During his interview with the WABC radio show, Baio added, “I’m saddened by what happened. I don’t know if it was drugs that killed her, I read one report said it might have been and I hope it… I don’t know what I hope. It’s what it is. What can you do?”

But while Baio may not be completely compassionate regarding Moran’s demons, he admitted he did not know for certain her cause of death.

Related

Celebrity Deaths in 2017: Stars We’ve Lost

“I knew Erin well, over the last many years I have not spoken with her. She was just an insecure human being and fell into this world of drugs and alcohol. Again, I don’t know if that’s what killed her, I’m sure it was a culmination of years and years of doing it that might have had something to do with it. She just never found her way.”

“How do you help somebody that doesn’t want to help themselves? You try a couple of times and if they don’t want the help, I gotta go, sorry.”

He also made sure to drive home the point that he’s never had a drug problem himself.

“I never did drugs. I never was interested in drugs, it never intrigued me. I had parents and a brother and sister who were straight arrows and my father, God rest his soul, said to me, ‘You do drugs, I’ll kill you.’ Aside from Erin, everybody on that show, as far as I know, I never saw drugs or alcohol. I just, there was no reason for me to do it. My parents set me right, that’s the best thing you could have.”

1. Troy Winter says:

Wow for one time in my life I’ll refer to someone else’s comment wishing they were my own. Dexter Hall that was amazing. Every single sentiment I had you touched on.Dexter Hall sorry but I’m gonna plagiarize the heck out of your comment. Not here but on other comments.ive never saved a comment Ive read.I took a screenshot of yours. I’ll give you credit but if your not writing for a living. Your in the wrong business. If that’s your first comment. You gotta give us more. Bravo two thumbs up that’s frigging amazing. I know he won’t probably read it but that boys ears have to be red as heck. I gotta admit your analysis of some of the shows was over my head.Buti was still thinking” yeah Scott what he said” I think the analysis came to one conclusion. Scott you ” jumped the shark” with your comment . A term critics use when the fonz jumped the shark on his motorcycle. Kinda the death rattle of happy days.They knew that was the end.

2. Dexter Halls says:

I had a brother Scott, who died of a heart attack at 42 years old. He was always heavy or fat, up and down, on a diet, off a diet. Obviously contributed, if not the primary cause of his too young death. Screw him, right Scott? He ate himself to death. When I was sixteen, two of my best friends were killed, hit head on by a drunk driver. Screw them. It was a school night. Too late to be out. and they were known to lie, cheat on girl friends, not pay back money. They asked for it. They shouldn’t of been there. A good friend was sexually assaulted leaving a concert. she wore too short a dress, no bra, and headed back to the car alone to meet her friends. She deserved that lesson. Had it coming to her.

You do not know what you are talking about. behavioral choices, electrochemical impulses, CNS, Neural affect. External and internal triggers. This diatribe is about you. And your life. You see Scott, the opposite of love is not hate or resentment. The opposite of any emotion is Indifference. (No emotion is not close to your truth about Erin Moran. Let’s take a trip back to Happy (ier) days.

About halfway through a very successful show, you’re going to breathe life back. Chachi and bandanas are gonna be bigger than Fonz. But for your five or six years, the hype is not close to the truth. More new characters are brought in, original secondary characters are given main story lines, and the fonz, well just sad and bad writing. Ron Howard leaves, and its bleeding. One thing though. Chachi and Joanie. Except we watch Joanie for the entire show. A decade of growing up into a funny, pretty, young lady, who slowly is taking the show. Your not just the side kick of Ralph and Potsie, or the protege of a drowning fonz character, your the punching bag for Erin’s character which is the only one left growing and developing. Having her fall for Chachi was obviously a big mistake. While episode guests are having huge spin off series, you two died. Joanie couldn’t marry Chachi. If they made her like Mary Tyler Moore, and had Chachi never getting her, (but maybe having a mullet to go with the bandana.) That would be a hit. And you blended real life and fantasy (Yes, watch) and resented her for putting you down publicly, weekly, and she probably did to a degree in real life and as character, and this is your blaming reason of cause of the spin off failing. So do another family show. Except this time roles change.

Joanie is you, and Willie Ames is Chachi. The bunt of all the jokes. And… Failure. The advent of cable saves for a second, but another blossoming female actress steals your thunder. Onward to another family show. Now you are smart. You run the show. You are going to show teenage girls and males that Scott and Chachi are real and to be respected and reckoned. Being fonzie didn’t work. Being Joanie didn’t give Scott credibility as a person with substance and value. Being Howard Cunningham will. Obviously. And the story line is what else, with primarily you and teen daughter. You have been chasing making this right ever since Happy Days ended.. Here is the “now watch” part. Reality shows. Bring on Erin and Nicole Eggert. You’re gonna be an insightful, grown up, real Scott Baio for the world to see. You are going to make it right on TV in reality. Absolutely genius. And validates my statements. There’s the credibility. And with Erin and nicole themselves. OOOps, You couldn’t even script a real Scott.

Erin Moran for five years, was your acting partner, and was instrumental in your biggest success. Acknowledge that. Grieve your distortions of yourself, accept truth. Get help for your bitterness and resentments. People watched Erin grow up for a decade on television. Family and friends love her alot longer. The collateral damage of your comments for the purpose of self seeking justification, may be your biggest failure yet. As you age, your concept of what Chachi becomes in real life is getting farther away from you. There is no comparisons to Scott Baio with a Ron Howard or Henry Winkler. You are still breathing, do something with it. Start with actions and intent for amends to people you have harmed. No talking. There is no apology to say with credibility until the action is sincere. People will know. You do not have to tell them. Then let’s revisit what you have become. I pray and hope in your life you never have to find out the hard way again, how correctly pathetic, detached, ignorant, sad and angry you are perceived by these comments.

In honor of all the years I enjoyed watching Erin Moran and all of Happy Days, I am speaking up for the first time in my life on the internet. Please listen. And just maybe you will figure out the value of efforts to fix this For other people. To behave or talk decent because you are thinking about others, and are being true to your own self, usually doesn’t cause damage or harm like this. I do not think you have anything to lose by actually changing. The real question is; Do you have the mental health ability?

3. Tt says:

Sex addiction doesn’t count as an illness that needs treatment and can have deadly consequences??

Gross hypocrisy. Spoken too soon.

4. Scooter Libby says:

Scott Baio is irrelevant.

5. laura says:

my parents never gave up on my brother who was an addict to drugs for years.he is now doing fine after he got prayed for by diviner peterson via email;newgracefoundation@gmail.com. After she saw a atestimony of a lady on a blog who faced similar issue with her son until he got prayed for.

6. Erin Toupin says:

RIP Erin Moran

7. DebbieC says:

His parents may have taught him to not use drugs or alcohol. Perhaps they forgot to teach him class…. compassion and how not to jump to conclusions??

8. Reynolds C. Jones says:

His comments were uncalled for after a death. You only speak good of the dead. His position on drug use is accurate, his position on excessive drinking is accurate (and I say that as someone as hard to the Left as anyone in America probably – despite his political views) but no matter how accurate the comments were, they were inappropriate and showed a complete lack of social grace and courtesy. For a star to be so socially blind, is outrageous.

9. Dawn says:

Does it matter what Scott said about Erin’s death. if it is cancer or her drug abuses, he only spoke what he knew at that time before the cancer was announced is the cause of Erin Moran’s death.
    If you know someone who died all of a sudden and the person never told you he or she have a long illness, wouldn’t you also speculate how that person die?
    Why people are bashing him are people who seem to want to attack him whether he is right or not. Scott still may not be all wrong because it does sounded like
    Erin did drug abuses that led to many unhealthy life habits which eventually could lead to cancer in that case.

10. gin says:

Erin obviously had a drug problem. Two days ago all major media was reporting this. and even her drug counselor said she ‘ran from help.”Baio knew her better than most media outlets or people posting in columns. For two different causes of death to be issued one after the other, either someone made a mistake about the drug overdose, or someone is now covering up for the truth because they think heroin overdose makes her look bad. whatever it is i feel sorry for her.

• Julia Penley says:

Yes, but he seems sooooo self-rightous when he talks about her drug/ alcohol abuse. To point out he never used drug is really feels like he is being pretty cold and callous to people who have struggled with it. It’s like I want to say to him Dude it’s not about you!

11. Angel Garcia says:

Everyone is down at some point in their life. I don’t condone drugs at all however, if the people around her need to be her true friend and just talk to her be there for so she didn’t feel so all alone & troubled. She pasted of trouble with stage 4 cancer. It’s a HORRIBLE ILLNESS that I wish on no one. May god bless her soul. My thoughts and prayers toErins Family & True Friends. And to all the others who thought all you stupid ugly thoughts ” Shame on You & May God have Mercy on your souls🌹 Rest In Peace Erin

12. Naturelover11 says:

Doesn’t Scott Baio smoke cigars, hang out at cigar lounges and eat a lot of red meat. According to the National Cancer Institute, All cigar and cigarette smokers, whether or not they inhale, directly expose their lips, mouth, tongue, throat, and larynx to smoke and its toxic and cancer-causing chemicals. In addition, when saliva containing the chemicals in tobacco smoke is swallowed, the esophagus is exposed to carcinogens. These exposures probably account for the similar oral and esophageal cancer risks seen among cigar smokers and cigarette smokers. Really Scott: You should take care of himself. There is an increased chance that you too might get Throat Cancer or even Heart Disease.

13. Awww Boo Hoo..Speak a little truth and watch people throw a fit. Get over yourselves, people! What he said was not all that bad. Abuse your body and bad things can happen..There is nothing wrong with pointing that out.

• Julia Penley says:

Referring to your comment about why we shouldn’t speak I’ll of the dead…and that its historically not about social courtesy and repect…that its stems from people’s fear of the dead…I hope Erin gets out of her grave and kicks his ass. He is a real douche bag. If someone had made those comments about someone I loved I would be really ticked (whether it’s true or not). People should have a little more class and not make disparaging comments when people are mourning. It makes the family have to come to her defense (because she obviously cant do it herself anymore) when they should be dealing with their grief) And bro, people posting here that are against what Scott said are not “bleeding hearts” or snoflakes ( please give me a break with the use of that word..its really old now). We are just people who were raised with more manners and compassion than others.

• jett says:

Scott’s a pig. No fit, no boo hoo. He’s just a nasty pig.

• @Reynolds C. First off brain child, If you’re going to try to use history to justify your point…Make sure you know the history. You clearly do not. Your statement “which is as far back as we know anything about human culture.” is absurdly incorrect Our understanding of human “culture” predates Mesopotamian civilization by nearly 200,000 years.

Furthermore not speaking ill of the dead out of respect, thus making it a “social more” only dates back to the 4th century. In earlier civilizations the belief that one should not speak ill of the dead arose out of fear of the deceased…not respect. Huge difference.

“That has not changed.” To describe any “social more” as unchanging is downright idiotic. “Social mores” evolve and change drastically with time…In fact you really put your foot in your mouth with this one because De mortuis nihil nisi bonum (“Of the dead, nothing unless good”) is only half of the story..The accompanying phrase was De mortuis nil nisi bene [dicendum] (“Of the dead, nothing [spoken] unless [truthfully]”)…..In other words, although it was considered in bad taste to speak ill of the dead (out of spite or ignorance) it was perfectly acceptable to speak the truth (good or bad) about them.

The problem is that we live in the age of special snowflakes that can’t handle reality. Remember the phrase “sticks and stones….”? It comes from a time when we taught our children to be strong.

But alas, those days are long gone. We live in the age of participation awards and emotional shielding. People like you might feel that this is a good thing but the absolute fact is that we are raising a generation of pussies, and society is growing weaker by the hour because of it.

Baio spoke the truth as he knew it. What he said was not meant to be maliciously disrespectful or insulting. But people today do not want to hear the truth. They cannot handle the truth. People today are weak.

• Reynolds C. Jones says:

@Jeff – you do NOT EVER speak ill of the dead. That has been a basic social more since at least Sumeria – which is as far back as we know anything about human culture. That has not changed. His comments are accurate, but his statement is inappropriate and unacceptable in civilized company. Period. IT’s easy.

• He is an insensitive jerk by his own admission…at least he is honest about it.
        What’s worse than that are all the crybabies on here complaining about something someone said about someone they never even met…and twisting it to make it seem worse than it was to boot.

• Jeff Swain Griffith…..share with us a bit about your life so that we can judge you like Cho-Cha judged his former cast member/girlfriend. Thank you, Jeff Swine

• LMAO…He wasn’t “judging” anyone. He stated his opinion. Period.
        As for me..My father used and sold drugs…My mother was an Alcoholic…I don’t use drugs..and I don’t drink..never did either…When I was a kid, I used to steal from Kmart…I let my sons watch family guy and south park at age 10…Judge away…Frankly I don’t give a crap what random snowflakes like yourself think of me. My life is an open book to those around me, but I am not about to write a novel for all you schmeckles on the internet to read..Not because I have anything to hide, but because I don’t waste my time entertaining idiots.

The key differences between me and bleeding hearts like yourself:

1. I don’t live my life pretending that it is all gumdrops and unicorn farts.
        2. I actually have a backbone.

• Biggus Dickus says:

You said :”Cho-Cha”! BAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAA!

14. Tera Frank says:

What a liar. Everyone knows he did drugs back in the day.

15. Sharon Drumm says:

Once again, Scott Baio shows us what a despicable man he is. The last I heard, Erin Moran died of cancer, yet this miserable excuse for a man, sees it necessary to label her and air her issues. Did that make you feel like a big man Scott? You are disgusting!!

16. sitfan says:

Scott knows a lot about death and dying – just ask his career.

17. steven saunders says:

scott who?

18. Caylee says:

With previous comments and things that Mr Baio has said in the last few years plus that stupid life coach show he was on, it is clear that he just doesnt want to give up the limelight in any way shape or form. His thought processes baffle me and I am convinced that he was dropped on his head as a baby and may also have a few skeletons in his own closet.

If you don’t think what he is saying here is too bad, read something other than Variety. The guy is a nimrod.

19. dollface says:

Oh Lord! It’s like everyone only read the title and not the full article! And it’s like no one saw how far Erin fell in the 80s, 90s, 00s and beyond. She never got hired again during this time for a reason and the few things she did were pathetic desperate reality shows showing what a pathetic life of homelessness and severe drug problems she had led. Many in the industry tried to get her help. She fell down a slippery roap. She looked like she had been road hard and run over by a truck her last decades and she appeared to have many mental problems too. Why didn’t she become a well put together success past her early 20s? She fell apart to demons. Addiction is a bitch. And yes the coroner said cancer. But folks she was living in her in laws trailer in Indiana not a house in Hollywood. She lost her house long ago because she was broke and blew through all her money. Scott was not perfect. Yes, he used to be a serial philanderer late into his life until he met his own playboy bunny and settled down. But he reformed his childish ways and became a solid Christian family man. People just hate Christians now, and white men. He was just pontificating on radio about how alcohol and drugs can take you out in the end.

20. John Gohde says:

Nice to see a Trump supporter telling it like it is.

21. Mark says:

I know he sounds harsh but it could be that he tried to financially & physically as well as emotionally help her before. As in offering to pay for treatment or things like that which maybe she refused twice. If he did that, he might not be harsh. He is simply ignorant of the illness of addiction. It is a lifelong real illness that will never go away for the person with it. Liza stated it correctly about her mother & herself when asked if she was finally well. NO. It is day to day since this is a disease. If you mean have I been drinking or using drugs, no, not in a long while but I still have the addiction. Something like that is what she said. This case very well could have been cancer as the article leads. My aunt never did drugs and it was rare she drank a glass of wine. She got breast cancer age 46 & went for treatment. Ten years later it had spread to the bones & liver, brain & she died at 56. Did not have addiction disease so this case of this sweet actor could have simply been from an advanced stage cancer. Maybe she had been clean a while with other problems. I am not bashing Baio. Many are ignorant on that one topic and as stated, he might have tried to help her. I don’t know him of course. I don’t want to bash anyone. I hope this lovely woman is in a good place now. If there is an afterlife, I am sure she is in a good place.

22. Brian says:

What exactly did he say that was so bad? He was simply saying that it’s a tragedy. Which it was. To bad she couldn’t have gotten help sooner.

23. sheknight says:

He is showing no compassion for someone he says is a friend.

24. blatantone says:

Scott Baio, to me, comes across as self-righteous, and quick to defame a person because he had a better upbringing than they did. He obviously knows nothing about addiction. I question his morals as well since he supports a greedy, untruthful, sociopathic, sexual predator, for President. He has no business disparaging Erin. Saying she was troubled is enough for the public to know. I doubt he would want his personal problems surmised as not having enough brains to get help. He should have a modicum of respect for her memory and her family.

25. Bill says:

Way to show your Christian compassion. Why don’t you just crawl back up Trump’s butt you arrogant, weirdo.

26. Johnbox says:

Joanie loves Chachi and Chachi loved Chachi. Perhaps Chachi can wipe his fake tears at her memorial, if he even attends, with the bandana tied around his leg.

27. Susan says:

You call yourself a Christian Scott Baio and then speak ill of the dead… I’m appauld that you made her death all about you. Your self-righteous rhetoric is unbecoming and a sin in the eyes of our Lord God. RIP Erin Moran you are loved.

28. bi teme says:

Scott Baio, you are a complete jackass.

29. Peggy Allen says:

Really? Your parents obviously didnt raise you to be considerate, humble, or kind, Scott Baio.The comment you made are just as bad as kicking a person after he’s down.If you knew Erin so well why didnt YOU know that she had cancer?
    And you certainly cant say your too busy with your career…because you obviously arent!

30. Cheri says:

well you arrogant know it all, she died from cancer. And I hope to never read another thing you have to say.

31. Pam Zielinski says:

You sound holier than thou Baio. Drug addiction and alcoholism are a disease. Glad you had the perfect life and perfect family. Not everyone has that dream. RIP Erin.

32. flexdoc says:

Says the “cokehead”

33. Johnbox says:

This is just like a person with a very high metabolism having no compassion for those who don’t and are overweight. Every single person has a weakness. Why don’t we point out yours Chacci?

34. I find it very humorous that all the people cussing in this thread cannot seem to spell a lot of words correctly… but the cuss words they spell perfectly. Kind of invalidates their comments, right?

35. Joe The Bartender says:

Scott Baio is one of those people you might ENCOURAGE to do drugs. Might have made him a less straight-ass, boring conservative.

• John says:

Just shows what these pathetic liberals are really like. Probably all sitting at home waiting for the welfare checks to come in.

• blatantone says:

John,
        It’s about Scott Baio’s attitude, not liberals, independents, conservatives, nazis, communists, or any political party or governing body. A person’s party doesn’t put them into a predisposed category. My best friend since childhood is a far right Republican and I am a Moderate Democrat. You don’t know us, or anyone commenting here. You couldn’t possibly know what we are currently engaged in.You are acting the same as Scott Baio. Highly prejudice, and unfairly demeaning. Good day, sir.

• Johnbox says:

Guys, this isn’t a liberal or conservative issue. This is a guy who has a calloused tone deaf attitude. It’s not unlike Gwenneth Paltrow on her “Goop” site giving advice to stressed out mothers to give the kids to the Nancy and go have a $500 spa day. Yeah, thanks Gweneth, we’ll get right on that.

😡Scott Baio obviously hasn’t had people in his family who suffered from substance use disorder. Which is a new diagnosis, but as real as any other medical diagnosis. Ever wonder why if you have had a pain pill after surgery, it made you either sick to your stomach or it temporarily took away the pain it was suppose to, while someone else you know tried it and it made them feel,like they were having orgasms that lasted 4 hours?

• Thomas says:

Hey John, GFY you dickhead conservatard. I’m a liberal and I’m heading out to WORK at the job I’ve been at for 20+ years. And I guarantee I make more $$ than you’ll ever dream of having.

So, just GFY, douchebag.

36. Joannie says:

Best comment I’ve seen (of his really classless conservative douche comments just hours after her passing) — Scott bragged about sleeping with a bunch of woman at the playboy mansion, by his retardlicon logic he deserves to die of AIDS… Gods will right?

37. dave3875 says:

As a Conservative I have kinda liked Baio…..But this is just classless. What a prick.

38. Gadzooks! says:

Another daily reminder how Christianity sure is disastrous to empathy and basic common decency.

• Joannie says:

Religious Fundamentalism, you mean, get it right…. Big big BIG difference. Stop bashing Christians as a full group, it’s the fundamentalist conservatives.

• dave3875 says:

Huh? What does Christianity have to do with it? What kind of an idiot would say that?
      You are no better, likely much worse, than clueless Baio…..That dumbass puts a boatload of people in one single pidgin hole…….Hmm, so what do you do? SAME THING ya dumb ass.
      Anybody that is a “Christian” knows that what he said was pathetic, ego driven, and stupid. His excuse is he’s a level C Hollywood persinality with a head the size of a car…………And your excuse?

39. Bruce67 says:

I wonder if he’s self aware enough to feel stupid now?

The moral is, I guess, wait till you know the facts before shooting your mouth off.

40. Chris Christie's Belt says:

41. Chris Christie's Belt says:

What a piece of dung chachi is.

Chachi really does mean Penis in Korean apparently.

42. LV Media says:

He’s a has-been C-list semi-celebrity who really could be a little more humble and compassionate about the death of his former lover and co-star. Regardless of what Moran died from (personally, I think she had psychological issues that caused her to delve into drugs and alcohol addiction, but cancer is what technically may have killed her), his condescending attitude is extremely inappropriate and unattractive. All her former co-stars – including Ron Howard, who was on The View today – managed to find something lovely to say about Moran. I’ve never been a fan of Baio and this just reinforces my negative opinion of him.

43. Anknee says:

Too soon, Scott… Too Soon. I know you mean well but have a little compassion. You sound so cold, man!

44. JerzyGirl119 says:

Baio is a fking twat whose own wife is suffering from brain cancer and has bravely beaten breast cancer. Maybe if she didn’t eat all the fried food and do all those lesbian scenes (remember “Murder-Set-Pieces”?) – maybe if he wasn’t such a hypocritical asshole womanizer (yes he hit on me when I was friends with his sister Stephanie) pretending to be a Christian, maybe then he’d understand the pain that fourth stage cancer victims endure. Pig.

45. shankarhsv says:

What a sorry ass kid you turned out to be. You certainly are a badly brought up kid. An insignificant turd you turd out to be. Trump’s influence?

46. dee says:

as his family members die, they an count on him for a lecture.

47. hcvisigoth says:

Never have the words “just stop talking” been more appropriate.

48. Renee Seifert says:

Who knew Scott Baio would turn out to be such a narcissistic, heartless little bitch! His love of Trump doesn’t surprise me. Both self righteous pompous asswipes!!!

49. dee says:

let’s see how this creep deals with terminal cancer from his judgemental perch when it hits him.