‘The Last Ship’ on Production Hiatus as Eric Dane Battles Depression (EXCLUSIVE)

Eric Dane The Last Ship
Billy Farrell/BFAnyc.com/REX/Shutterstock

Production on TNT’s “The Last Ship” has been temporarily shut down at the request of star Eric Dane, who suffers from depression, Variety has learned.

The series, which is set to debut its fourth season this summer, is going on a production hiatus through Memorial Day, sources say.

“Eric asked for a break to deal with personal issues,” a rep for Dane tells Variety. “He suffers from depression and has asked for a few weeks of downtime and the producers kindly granted that request. He looks forward to returning.”

Variety has reached out to TNT for comment.

According to an insider, “The Last Ship” team recently returned from a two-week spring hiatus, so with this additional halt, production will have been shut down for quite some time. However, “The Last Ship” has already been renewed for Season 4 and Season 5, each consisting of 10 episodes, and both seasons are shooting back-to-back. Per our sources, the fourth season is already wrapped and the fifth season is being shot now — so the Season 4 premiere should not be pushed back at all by this production delay. The fifth season is slated to premiere in summer 2018.

Based on William Brinkley’s novel, “The Last Ship” follows the Navy destroyer U.S.S. Nathan James as its captain Tom Chandler, played by Dane, and crew navigate life following a global catastrophe that nearly kills off the world’s population. The action drama is one of TNT’s top-rated programs, reaching an average of 7.1 million viewers per episode across multiple platforms for its third season, according to the cabler.

Dane, who is also known to audiences as “McSteamy” after starring on “Grey’s Anatomy” from 2006 to 2012, has been vocal about his personal issues in the past — in 2011, the actor entered a 30-day rehab program to battle an addiction to painkillers, following a sports injury. He shares two young children with his wife of 13 years, Rebecca Gayheart.

1. Fernando says:

Eric, te deseo una pronta recuperacion de parte de todo tus Fans desde España, pais que se que te encanta.

Una musica que me gustaria ver en la Serie.

Genesis “Home By The Sea”

2. Drew Gutman says:

Is it possible to get a personal message to him, or a letter?

Drew Gutman

3. Cassandra Greene says:

I wish Eric the best! Depression is not an easy thing to deal with. I hope he finds the help he needs to deal with his for his sake and the sake of his family.

This is one of my favorite shows and it seems it has been on hiatus forever!! I agree that Dr. Scott and the Captain had great chemistry and it would have been great to have seen it develop further! I am sorry Mitra is not around but maybe somehow in the ship’s travels he will come across another beauty who is well and somehow immune to what’s taking out half the population! One can hope!!!! The Captain needs love in his life! I’ll be tuned in for Season 4!!!!!!

4. Mark says:

If season 4 is all done when will it debut and why does TNT have to repeat past shows after midnight?

5. Christine Hutchison says:

We love THE LAST SHIP!! I love ERIC DANE, he was great on Grey’s Anatomy. Thought I’d croak when he left Grey’s!!

6. Brian L. Hirst says:

The show, for the most part, is right up my alley.I find it gripping but sometimes a little slow.The ship is impressive and the characters hit their spots, they appear as they pretend to be. One thing I find a wee bit annoying is that there is too much nodding. A salute, even briefly, gives far more credulity to the characters as well as the rank and office. Thanks for the work on this series. Keep up the good work.
    Brian

7. Sheri Newberry says:

Mr. Dane, my heart is with you. I also suffer from depression and feelings of hopelessness. No one really gets it. Comments are made are its just your imagination take some pills which just make me a zombie. My husband took my car keys feels and I feel not only stigmatized and labeled and mocked. This is my shitty first draft and it is easier to write it then to discuss it with anyone including my husband with his smile on his face. Or you didn’t do anything wrong. Depression is a disease yet too many people just don’t see it is not a fake thing to get something that you want. I wish you the best and again, writing sometimes helps me, or even mindfulness. I tried everything and I am so happy that the story came out because too many people just don’t understand. Good Luck.

8. Greta says:

Mr. Dane I wish all the best. Feel better soon. I, too have suffered depression for the last 40 years. Ivan glad you can acknowledge it and take care of yourself. You do what you need to do to feel better, however long that takes. And when you are well, I will be waiting for more adventures with all the other Last Shop fans, when you return. Take care and God bless.

9. Amber says:

One more pitch for bringing Dr. Scott back. The Captain and Dr. Scott go together like peas and carrots. They have magnetism. I can see them as a couple. Two strong people, with a sad past, finding love while they save the World.
    It does not get any better. Please Eric Dane get well. Please bring back Dr. Scott.

• Too many idiots on this planet says:

Dr Scott is dead, you utter muppet.

• Linda says:

The show was ruined for me when Rona Mitra left the cast. I really haven’t been invested in it since they killed off her character. The writers did a really poor job writing her out. They just put her face on the new money. No one found her, no one buried her, no one grieved for her. Wow! Talk about a clumsy transition. And her “replacement” is a total boor. I really don’t care if it comes back. I do wish Eric Dane a quick recovery.

10. Amber says:

I love the show. All of the characters are well drawn, the scrip’s move fast and are interesting, No stupid potty jokes, no sex, sex, everyone get naked and cuss stuff.
    It is a well plotted, well acted Series with characters we care about.
    The Captain. Well. Eric Dane needs to get well. Know we love him and his character. Come back soon.

I do have one small bone to pick with the Producers. I miss Dr. Scott. She added, or the actresses who played her, a big interest to the show for me. I wish she could be brought back. After all….No funeral was ever shown. it is always possible to put her back.
    Thanks for the Good Show, TNT.

11. Stephen Verne says:

I love the show “The Last Ship” is one my favorite’s shows. It’s important to fight the depression and get well. The Last Ship can be docked until then. Get well Mr. Dane

12. Diane Janusz says:

Take it one day at a time. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. We keep saying how much we love the show, and wished it would be on longer each season. The Last Ship is our favorite show, and many of our friends feel the same way.

13. Babs Mountjoy says:

My thoughts are with him–depression is a tough thing. Best wishes.

14. Shiran says:

This is a very bad situation. Will the 4th season be shown this summer or will it be delayed?

15. Stephan says:

Hope Eric feels better and can defeat that depression. I experienced that at 55. I still do from time to time. Eric get your testosterone levels checked. Most men suffer from low T and don’t know it. It turned the depression off when we discoved that as the issue.

16. Eva Ray says:

1Mr. Dane, no more ideas you’ve already heard of or tried. What works for one may not work for all others. But I can tell you from personal experience: life goes on, and MOSTLY ALL the time improves. That goes for depression as well as chemically dependency. I should know. Not that my life is perfect, money (like everyone else) and my health: that can still hit me like almost a bolt of lightning up my A$$!! I’m 57 years old and have had about 60 surgeries in my lifetme, granted most in the past 20 years. I’m not saying this for sympathy – but to let you know, YOU’RE NOT ALONE.

17. Sandra Kent says:

Mr. Dane, I don’t know the reasons for depression but I do know it is different from just being sad. My only thought is to possibly find someone, something that needs love and attention and focus on them for a while. That might be a pet shelter, maybe a NICU that needs people to simply hold and rock babies in hospitals, or maybe an organization that helps teenagers. I do know taking your thoughts away from your own worries might help bring a sense of reality back. Do know that there are many who enjoy your talent and look forward to seeing you again when you’re ready to come back to work.

• Julie says:

Hi Sandra: Just my 2 cents: your suggestions sound great, and may work for some, for a little while. Sometimes farther down the road, a depressed person will end up feeling even worse because those things that SHOULD make them feel better, don’t – and they don’t know why which leads to being more depressed (feeling like you can NEVER do anything right). They will begin to feel like they are an even worse person because they don’t feel better, and the cycle of not seeing the light for them continues.

18. Michael Copper says:

As a loyal fan take care of self then full engines forward. Got to save the world.
    👍🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌👍

19. Julie says:

Dear Mr. Dane: From experience: Rest! Breathe Deeply, Take Quiet Reflection Time. Eat protein. More sleep is usually what is needed to get through the low times. It may feel selfish, but in the long run will be worth it. And believe it or not, dead-heading my flowers helps too, pretty silly huh? Hey man, whatever it takes to get us back to where we are at our best and where our families need us. When you are ready, clear, then organize your thoughts of and dive back into the work that I think you are so great at. Try to ignore any negative words around you, whether aimed at you or not. I feel for you and anyone dealing with or prone to depression. Most people don’t understand from the outside, I think mostly because we do a great job of hiding it from the public to get by, every single day. Problem is, we can only do this for a limited amount of time before we just – can’t – do – it – any – longer. Plus being your job to act, I am guessing that it is a double whammy. So- Hug your family, ask them to please hug you and be patient! Take care, be healthy. Know we are pulling for you! Love The Last Ship, and really looking forward to season 4.

20. Kate says:

This is terrible, I hope Eric will be back soon on the show. I’ve found that the best way to cure depression, is to minimize escapism though instant gratification: stuff like eating cookies and watching TV. Basically, go out there and live life instead of watching other people live theirs while munching on Lays. I know because I used to be a lazy, depressed mess until I made lifestyle changes and slowly became disciplined.

• Sharon Charles says:

Kate, depression is not healed by becoming disciplined. Clinical depression is a serious illness caused by changes in brain chemistry, not laziness.

21. Tanya Hancock says:

i cant see watching tv again without eric dane! ii love you eric dane dont be depressed i will always love you!

22. Terry Kosnopfal says:

“The Last Ship ” has been nothing short of exhilarating and mind blowing . I hope that Eric has a quick timely and successful recovery as depression is just a flat out nightmare to deal with in general ; however the without Eric being able to go on I feel the production halt is also necessary as I couldn’t imagine trying to watch this amazing thriller without his being present and accounted for !
    Good luck Eric Dane and God Bless !

23. Vicky Roberts says:

Good on Eric for being open & honest about his mental health issues, like Felicia (Hardy) says it raises awareness about mental health & removes the stigma. Glad to see you’re getting the help & support you need Eric – hoping you recover soon. Hang in there Commodore!

24. Peg Org says:

Having suffered from depression my entire teenage and adult life, I feel deeply for those who have the same pain. They are like family, as only we truly understand. You can talk non-stop to a loved one about it, but unless you have “been there” it is impossible to truly empathize and comprehend what it is like to suffer through depression.

• Felicia Hardy says:

I think it is awesome and heroic that Eric Dane is open about his battle with depression. Anything that raises awareness and takes away any stigma from emotional and mental health is a good thing.

I hope he is getting the help he needs.

Love you, McSteamy! Hang in there!

25. Bahia Wilson says:

Great Show! Eric Dane is wonderful as well as the rest of the cast. Hope he gets back soon as no one else can play his role, he was tailor-made for the part.

The Last Ship is like a mini movie, every episode and I wish the entire cast continued success on a very well made program!

• Daryle Gardner-Bonneau says:

Agreed….he is wonderful on “The Last Ship.” I hope he knows his fans are sending the good “vibes: and that he will be better soon. Depression is an awful thing, but knowing you need help and getting that help are half the battle. Cheers to you, Eric!