‘Empire’ Renewed for Fourth Season at Fox

Empire renewed season 4
Courtesy of Fox

The Lyons are coming back for a fourth season of drama and Cookie-isms.

Empire” has been renewed for Season 4, it was announced Wednesday at the Television Critics Association press tour by Fox Television Group Chairman and CEO Gary Newman. Alongside Newman, Fox exec David Madden said Season 4 will consist of 18 episodes.

The fourth season will return in the 2017-2018 television season. Currently on hiatus, “Empire” returns with the back-half of its third season this spring on Mar. 22.

The renewal is hardly a surprise, as “Empire” is one of the biggest hits to come to network television in the past decade. In its third season, the primetime family soap ranks as the top broadcast drama among adults 18-49 — a title it has held through its entire run. Though its ratings dipped this year, “Empire” still finished out the first half of its third season with nearly 8 million overnight viewers for the midseason finale. For the 2016-2017 season, the show has averaged almost 16 million total viewers, becoming the show to nab Fox’s largest total multi-platform audience.

“Empire” has received numerous Emmy, Grammy and Golden Globe nominations through its three seasons, including a Golden Globe win for star Taraji P. Henson, who has received back-to-back Emmy nods.

Along with Henson — who plays the breakout character Cookie — “Empire” stars Terrence Howard, Jussie Smollett, Bryshere “Yazz” Gray, Trai Byers, Grace Byers, Gabourey Sidibe, Ta’Rhonda Jones, Serayah, Bre-Z, Xzibit and Morocco Omari. The series is known for bringing on notable guest stars, including Mariah Carey, Taye Diggs, Phylicia Rashad, Chris Rock, Alicia Keys, Marisa Tomei, Naomi Campbell, Ludacris, Adam Rodriguez, Rosie O’ Donnell and Andre Royo.

“Empire” was co-created by Lee Daniels and Danny Strong. Ilene Chaiken serves as showrunner. Executive producers are Daniels, Strong, Chaiken, Brian Grazer, Francie Calfo and Sanaa Hamri. Imagine Television produces with 20th Century Fox Television.

1. lilacs3155yahoocom says:

way too long of a wait………

2. D Harris says:

Empire is very realistic of todays society in family and life issues. It is a little far fetched sometimes but for the most of it true to life these type of dilemmas happen everyday in our families. Family feuds, sibling rivalry, estranged exes. But we continue to be strong women no matter how much pain we go through and put it aside to do what’s best for the family.

3. Sheila Williams says:

The really give peaple deal with businesz and family mixing it what problems become also when you have family memebers with health issues don’t have to be hidden behind can be ok.i is given some people that trying to stat in that type of business can find help

4. Denice Evans says:

I never miss a épisode of Empire unfortunately I miss the final épisode of season 3 Boy! was I pissed of all nights I fell asleep I woke up in time to see when Lucious came out of his coma. Then I realize that we have on demand Boy! was I excited. I can’t wait for season 4 everything I said was going to happen happen I was on point sometimes you got to read between the lines, me laughing at all the comments on facebook I wish I could see the look on their faces now lol! I was right as usal when watching series or Lifetime. So until season4 returns I guess I will be solving my Lifetime movies, until season 4 returns PEACE & BLESSING TO EMPIRE!!! 🐅 I LOVE YOU COOKIE & LUCIOUS!

5. Mela says:

I love lucious and cookie their love withstands all. It’s a love to be envied/desires. No matter what they go through their love brings them back together. I want them to be happy. It’s more drama coming with Gilliana getting played and dumped and I hope cookie bring it to that devilish *itc*.

6. Cristal king says:

Season 4 will return in fall right that is to long i hope someone tells me im wrong anyone

7. Rachael says:

F that cookie and luscious are never gonna stop loving each other… Y’all must not have that kind of love to understand… Great show keep it up

8. #Cookie4life says:

I LOOOOOVE the show but Cookie going back to Lucious almost made me and everyone I know stop watching it because it is ridiculous.

9. #Team Jamal/Cookie says:

The show is absolutely AWESOME, but the Lucious and Cookie love affair is starting to get old. The couple needs to move on so the show can evolve and grow past their relationship and on to new rivalries and new jealousy crimes.

10. #teamcookie says:

love love love empire

11. Joan Sweaza says:

Im glad empire has another season love this show

12. Candice says:

Will there be another season of Empire?

13. Claudia Badger says:

happy Empre will continue its season. i miss cookie’s being dramatic.

14. Ali says:

So very happy Empire is returning! One of my face shows ever! Why such a long mid season break though?

15. Ruth BENNETT says:

I can’t wait for the show to return,it’s one of my most favorite show s. can’t wait to see what they have in store this season

16. Boo Boo Kitty says:

Too bad it’s utterly unwatchable at this point.