‘Emerald City’ Canceled at NBC After One Season

'Emerald City' Cancelled: NBC's Wizard of

It’s the end of the yellow brick road for NBC’s “Emerald City.”

The fantasy series, inspired by L. Frank Baum’s “Wizard of Oz” tales, has been canceled after one season, Variety has confirmed.

“Emerald City” becomes the second freshman show to be yanked at NBC, following “Powerless,” which was essentially canceled with the network pulling the show from its schedule. Over the next week, leading up to Upfronts, network executives will be tasked with axing more bubble shows.

Debuting in January, “Emerald City” never found an audience over its 10 episodes. Opening to 4.5 million viewers, the drama dipped week-to-week to a season low of 2.3 million viewers, slightly ticking up for its finale with an audience of just under 2.9 million.

Related

TV Review: ‘Emerald City’ on NBC

“Emerald City” was a darker take on the classic “Wizard of Oz,” following 20-year-old Dorothy Gale, played by Adria Arjona, and her K9 police dog from Kansas who, after a tornado, are transported to another world far away — a mystical land of competing kingdoms, lethal warriors, wicked witches, dark magic, and a bloody battle for supremacy. Vincent D’Onofrio starred as the wizard, and other cast members are Oliver Jackson-Cohen, Ana Ularu, Gerran Howell, Jordan Loughran, and Mido Hamada.

The show had a long road to getting on the air. It first landed a straight-to-series order for the 2014-2015 season, but NBC opted to pass on the ambitious series, which at that time, was being developed by Matthew Arnold and Josh Friedman. Then, for the next season, the network retooled the series with David Schulner, giving yet another straight-to-series 10-episode order in spring 2015, though NBC did not put “Emerald City” on the schedule until early 2017.

In Variety‘s review, critic Maureen Ryan said the unavoidable comparison to “Wizard of Oz” was the series’ problem from the start. “In look and tone, it does not imitate the classic 1939 film starring Judy Garland, but this darker take on the story remains so familiar that, although it’s gorgeous, there’s too little tension and suspense driving it,” she wrote.

Canceled TV Shows in 2017 — What’s Not Returning
Canceled TV Shows in 2017 — What’s Not Returning

1. TanyaLeigh says:

Thanks NBC for cancelling Constantine, Dracula , Hannibal and now Emerald City! NBC you suck!

2. Misty D Taylor says:

too bad that this show got cancelled. Shortsightedness on NBC’s part. Sure people are going to compare it to The Wizard of Oz but those people are all so short-sighted. The strings that related to The Wizard of Oz are awesome but yet the differences and the changes are mind-blowing and exciting I’ll miss it not coming back.

3. Sarah Memory says:

are you guys for real because how can u cancel the best show

4. Rebecca Aldaba says:

Really I finally get into a show now it’s cancelled.

5. Rebecca Disgruntled Fan says:

Nooooooo!!!! 😩😩😩😭. I love this show the final episode – I hate to call it that- left me chomping at the bit for more. Sigh at least they aren’t axing my other faves 🙄

6. Mark says:

Is it just me? Or is anybody else sick of watching new series only to be disappointed that there is no renewal and leaving you hanging? I’ve gotten to the point where I do not watch too many new series as I am afraid I will just be in for more disappointment. I thought for sure Emerald City was going to be renewed. I am just getting tired of wasting my time on a series only to find out that it will not be renewed

7. Fitri says:

Yeah, i am waiting for season 2.
    Why nbc canceled it?? It’s so disappointed me.

8. Crane says:

Stop cancelling all of my shows!! :(((

9. Thomas Marcoux Sr says:

Why does nbc do this not caring who it affects when thay cancel a series they are so gonna loose so many viewers cancelling shows all the time like they do they are horrible and im gonna change the channel now away from nbc

10. Thomas Marcoux Sr says:

I was totally looking forward to more seasons of emerald city its such a shame its been taken off air gonna stop watching this station because they pull great shows for no reason getting people interested then pulling showcright up from under them is a horrible thing to do to anyone jerks.

11. Olivia Gonzalez says:

Seriously .. I was sitting here flipping through channels and was wondering when season 2 was going to start and this is what I have to find out!??? Are u FN kidding me!??? I had my DVR set to record this show and now I’m not gonna be able to see what happens when Dorothy returns to Emerld City!??? Hellloooooo NETFLIX!!!!??? Super sad!

12. Tiffany says:

Awe, that sucks. Was really looking forward to season 2. So disappointed. Hopefully they bring it back.

13. This is why I don’t like NBC and I don’t trust NBC. This is what they do! It is like they are too insecure about the network. I loved this show! I am mad about this and I have not watched this network since they canceled prime suspect and I probably won’t give this network another chance again:/SMH

14. Cindy says:

I am a 40 year old woman in love with Emerald City. I too almost never watch tv but I stumbled on this marvelous show on premier night and which is rare because if I am at home on a Friday I usually facebook or watch the cw. I actually rearranged my entire schedule and programed my Friday nights to watch Emarld City. Now its cancelled!? Big mistake NBC!

15. Stacey Moore says:

I’m furious…and sad that Emerald City was cancelled. I’m a 38 year old woman who rarely watches​ t.v.; now that Grimm is also gone, there isn’t anything for me to watch. Emerald City was a creative, darkly beautiful work, with so much imagination and potential. Well written, for a cast who effortlessly brought it to life. Dorothy fell in love, I fell in love. Lucas hurt Dorothy, I wanted to hurt Lucas. The usual reality show garbage and gritty gore crap that seem to dominate t.v. these days pale in comparison to Emerald City. Screw you, NBC, I’ll be watching Lucifer on FOX until you pull your head out of your ass and bring us season 2 of Emerald City.

• Amanda says:

I 100% agree with you! This show was fantastic! From the acting to the effects and the set. I needed a good new show to watch, came across this and binge watched the entire season!! It was so good, I didn’t want to take a break to sleep!! Now I’m back to Shadowhunters and Lucifer. I’m tired of the reality TV bs. That’s all that seems to play now. Canceling this show was a serious mistake.

16. Mary Kathren Hudson says:

Emerald city was a very good series. I was looking forward to the next season. It sucks that they stopped it

17. Lisa says:

I loved Emerald City. Hate to see it canceled.

18. Dee says:

I’m a 36 year old female, really enjoyed this show (UK) even got my mum (56 years) hooked and now we’re left dangling forever!

19. T says:

What!!! My hubby, and my daughter watched this with me..we loved it! Stupid to cancel.

20. Janet says:

I am disappointed I loved this show. I looked forward to watching

21. VINCE CRIESCO says:

The family loved the show! Let’s hope it gets picked up by another smarter network.

22. Bon says:

i was excited for the season 2 :(. hopefully netflix picks this and i’ll binge watch it til the end

23. Nancy says:

I really enjoyed this series and wished it wasn’t cancelled. Hopefully Amazon will pick it up or AMC, USA or some other station.

24. Hopefully, some further thinking entity, like Netflix, will carry this on. It was gorgeous and the darker twist was great fun. I was REALLY, really looking forward to another season or two. Dang you, non-viewers!

25. Put season TWO on HULU!!!

26. Betty Nation says:

I loved this show. I want it back on. I waited every week to see what was going to happen. The NEED TO BRING IT BACK

27. Ruth Carter says:

To bad it was canceled I found it very interesting to see a different take on the classic story. Every week I couldn’t wait to see if Dorothy was going to be victorious over Glenda and if she and Lucas would be together. When it ended. It left me wanting more you should show one more episode to wrap up those two things at least.Shame it’s gone.

28. Jess B says:

The show has such an engaging story and intriguing characters…I am so heartbroken NBC canceled it!
    This has been the only series I liked watching Friday. I enjoyed seeing it set up and progress with such beautiful cinematography…even if the story is in the books. My friends and I are seriously hoping hulu or Netflix pick up the series!

29. Lisa Lu says:

The whole family loved this show. Two teenagers and 2- 50 year old adults. Fun Friday Family night. These networks have lost their minds

30. Lisa Lu says:

I love this show too. And, I am 51 years old. Very original fun show. There are MUCH worse shows on the air. Makes not sense

31. Michael says:

Oh i l’d go to another network who aired it. Good call…

32. Michael says:

One the darkest themes, thought provoking, edge of your gory seat story, and u bananas r gonna take this piece of art off the air…. seriously, visually it’s stunning as well as the cast. It’s fun!
    PLEASE DON’T TAKE IT OFF THE AIR!!!!!!!!!!

33. An av says:

Emerald city is one of the most awesome series i’ve seen in a long time. We were waiting anxiously for season 2. Please dont cancel it!!

34. Contact NBC and let them know how you feel about their cancellation. They reversed their decision on Timeless; maybe they’ll do the same for Emerald City.

35. Tracy Sampson says:

Emerald city deserves another chance it’s a good show . I hope another network will see that and pick it up

36. Jay says:

So, lame. I thought of this idea years ago(A OZ story that had a game of thrones tone)after reading the original 16 books in the OZ cannon. Which I have read several times over. There were some interesting choices made but there were so many other characters and regions of the land of Oz to explore. This really had potential and was a better re-imaging than the tin man mini series done years ago. Hope someone comes to their senses about this. Wasn’t black sails a later success for STARZ after being an online series also imagined from another piece of classic literature. Maybe they should take the series a bit darker. Bad choice to drop this show.

37. Thomas says:

Well that sucks, I really liked this one, the frame work was one you knew but told in a great new way.

38. Daniel E Costello says:

Idiots… there’s a clear lack of wisdom at NBC these days. Took them so long to get the series on, it is evident they never believed in it. You’d think they would learn from the insight of so many cable networks who are producing exceptional series concepts. They had a winner here, but they obviously can’t see beyond the common trash they are accustomed to funding. NBC… No Brilliance Continues.

39. Stacy says:

No! I’m bummed! What a great, unique show…something different from the typical crime/law shows. I was always waiting for the next episode week to week! Wish they would’ve given it a different time slot. Hopefully it shows up on NetFlix!

40. Shela Stickle says:

This show is brilliant. I can not believe this. It is so incredibly casted, staged and visually stunning. The writing is great, there’s so much talent in this show.!! I am so incredibly sad.

41. Can’t believe they cancelled this show. It took me a couple of episodes to really understand it all but once I did I was hooked. This show is so out of the box and unique I hope someone else picks it up I am so tired of the usual series it’s getting boring.

42. StrandedHere says:

NBC never gave it a shot really. They put it in Friday. I always watched it on DVR. I really hope another network will pick it up.

43. Aly says:

Anybody else upset about this? Tell NBC! Maybe they will change their minds… I like a happy ending!

44. Aly says:

I’ve never even commented on one of these before but I’m really sad about this. I really need to look up a show before I decide to start watching it on Hulu or Netflix. So many people watch shows later on with Hulu or something similar so how can you really tell how many viewers you have for a show? On a Friday night that is a good number! This is a busy world and with all of the streaming options not as many people even have cable I know I don’t. Please bring it back even if it’s just a 2-3 hour finale for some closure! Or sell it to someone else and watch it succeed! Also I almost stopped watching it after the first couple episodes, it didn’t catch my attention much at first so that’s probably why the ratings dropped significantly. As I kept watching it got better until I was hooked, now angry that I finished it and your going to cancel. If you keep it going word would get around how good it is and everyone who lost interest in the first few episodes might give it another shot

45. Kathryn says:

I agree that this show should not be cancelled. It is haunting. I can’t stop thinking about it. I am very disappointed to hear that it is being cancelled. Please bring it back or as another writer stated consider selling it to another channel. It is visually very beautiful and the actors are very good. I recorded all the episodes and am now down to the final episode. I have really enjoyed watching the show and am almost afraid to watch the last episode now knowing it really could be the last. It isn’t fair…boo! Bring it back! Thanks! :-P

46. Karen says:

What a mistake NBC. You have a great show here, and you cancel it while you keep a lot of other lower quality shows on your channel. I guess I won’t be watching NBC. So disappointed. You sho no imagination or originality when you cancel a show like this. And why did you put it on Friday night? Please sell it to another channel.

47. Lissa Mcmillan says:

I usually dont comment but that was my favorite show. I couldnt wait for season two and noe its cancelled. 2.9 million is a great number of people. What did they expect putting it on Friday night. 2.9 mill on a Friday night is reasonable. I hope another channel picks up the series. The actors were great, don’t discourage great talent.

48. Dee Blackburn says:

I am so disappointed with this show’s cancellation. I love the dark side portrayed in this show and will miss it.

49. L.Kemp says:

Why cancel a show that was very good.

50. Darlene Frost says: