‘Emerald City’ Canceled at NBC After One Season

'Emerald City' Cancelled: NBC's Wizard of

It’s the end of the yellow brick road for NBC’s “Emerald City.”

The fantasy series, inspired by L. Frank Baum’s “Wizard of Oz” tales, has been canceled after one season, Variety has confirmed.

“Emerald City” becomes the second freshman show to be yanked at NBC, following “Powerless,” which was essentially canceled with the network pulling the show from its schedule. Over the next week, leading up to Upfronts, network executives will be tasked with axing more bubble shows.

Debuting in January, “Emerald City” never found an audience over its 10 episodes. Opening to 4.5 million viewers, the drama dipped week-to-week to a season low of 2.3 million viewers, slightly ticking up for its finale with an audience of just under 2.9 million.

Related

TV Review: ‘Emerald City’ on NBC

“Emerald City” was a darker take on the classic “Wizard of Oz,” following 20-year-old Dorothy Gale, played by Adria Arjona, and her K9 police dog from Kansas who, after a tornado, are transported to another world far away — a mystical land of competing kingdoms, lethal warriors, wicked witches, dark magic, and a bloody battle for supremacy. Vincent D’Onofrio starred as the wizard, and other cast members are Oliver Jackson-Cohen, Ana Ularu, Gerran Howell, Jordan Loughran, and Mido Hamada.

The show had a long road to getting on the air. It first landed a straight-to-series order for the 2014-2015 season, but NBC opted to pass on the ambitious series, which at that time, was being developed by Matthew Arnold and Josh Friedman. Then, for the next season, the network retooled the series with David Schulner, giving yet another straight-to-series 10-episode order in spring 2015, though NBC did not put “Emerald City” on the schedule until early 2017.

In Variety‘s review, critic Maureen Ryan said the unavoidable comparison to “Wizard of Oz” was the series’ problem from the start. “In look and tone, it does not imitate the classic 1939 film starring Judy Garland, but this darker take on the story remains so familiar that, although it’s gorgeous, there’s too little tension and suspense driving it,” she wrote.

Canceled TV Shows in 2017 — What’s Not Returning
Canceled TV Shows in 2017 — What’s Not Returning

1. Julia Matlack says:

Emerald City Season 1 was marvelous with a spectacular cast and storyline.
    Sad to hear NBC won’t pony up for 2-5 more seasons since they set it up to continue.
    Pathetic they don’t listen to their Watchers, the very people who watch the Commercial time that increases constantly. What’s the point of sitting through those commercials, bothering to watch them when NBC could care less what viewers want continued.

2. David says:

Will another network please pick up this show. This is a travesty to the fans. Wow at least give it a chance. My dvr is set to record this great show. When you find great shows like this Mr. NBC you keep your watchers coming back.

3. Krista says:

What the heck? You can’t cancel with a cliff hanger like that!!! Please bring it back! Or at least tie up the loose ends!

4. Holly says:

Bring back Emerald City!!!!!! Just discovered this show and binged watch the whole first season only to find out it was cancelled!!! Bring it back!!!!!

• TabloidJunkie says:

I just got done doing the same thing! I was looking to see if there was a season 2 about to start, and found this!! I’m very disappointed!! FINALLY something I enjoy and low and behold, it’s cancelled!! I am a fan of OUAT and had been meaning to give this show a go. Now I’m kicking myself that I finally got to it months later on Hulu! 😓
      NBC needs to reconsider! Or another network needs to pick it up! Heck, I wouldn’t mind if it became a Hulu Original! I just want to know what happens next!!!

5. Ang says:

I hate when they end a show with an episode indicating there will be another season then not continue

6. Someone says:

Why do you have to do that to me and my family. We were soooo excited to watch season 2. Then we find out its cancelled. Now you can imagine our disappointment and most likely a lot of other peoples disappointment.

• TikTokMan says:

LOL at the person who said the show took too long to tell us Lucas was the Scarecrow. Umm… Lucas is the first friend Dorothy makes, she finds him hanging in a field alone, and there’s something wrong with his brain. SERIOUSLY? That wasn’t enough for you?

• TabloidJunkie says:

I totally agree! I mean it was obvious to me when she happened by him strung up like that! I was very upset with how their relationship ended. I was hoping that she would be come back to Oz and somehow take him down and they could start anew. But I was wrong.
        I also wish that she got to meet the “Cowardly Lion” before she was sent back to Kansas.

7. Whyyyyy!!!!!!!! Now what am I going to watch. You ended season 1 with Lucas coming to bring Dorothy back. You were basically fooling everyone, ending it like that. I thought there was going to be a season 2 and I was actually getting soooo excited. But nooooooo you went and cancelled it.

8. elizabeth gauvain says:

I want the show back to many unanswered questions plz this sucks

9. Random internet anon says:

Sure, it wasn’t as good as GoT, but for a fantasy show to be even as good as this one… Maybe they will sale rights for this show to Netflix? I bet they can make it profitable.

10. Chelsey says:

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!??! This show was amazing. I just found this on hulu…The level of frustration im feeling right now is unreal. Too many unanswered questions 😣

11. Justin says:

This is so dumb! They can’t just cut it off like that. I just found this show and loved it. Just finished the first season with a million questions left unanswered. If this is what NBC is going to do with their shows I’m done with NBC, and will be boycotting them permanently. What a let down.

12. Nicole B says:

Well that’s crappy. I want to know who the Beast of Forever is and what happens with Dorothy and Lucas, yes I said Lucas. He is Dorothy’s Lucas, not Glenda’s Rowen. I need answers!!!

13. Poly Ester says:

yeah had NBC ACTUALLY PROMOTED THIS SHOW CORRECVTLY IT WOULD HAVE HAD THE RATINGS IT NEEDED

14. Aroha says:

How disappointing to find out the show is cancelled. i watched every single episode every week, endured the adverts every 5 mins to be left with unanswered questions :( OMG how cruel!!!

15. amanda apperley says:

Nooooo that’s just cruel i got soo caught into the series and fell in love with
    it. And then it’s canceled with that cliffhanger of a final. Whhhhhhhyyyyy do you
    got to make me cry :(

16. Becky Lee says:

I am so disappointed… I absolutely loved this show. And I never watch anything on the prime time channels, so I was really shocked that I loved this show as much as I did. Maybe (hopefully?) Netflix will pick it up.

17. Endar Kens says:

Yeah, a shame this show was cancelled. it had solid writing, a decent cast, but no support from the network (did the same thing with Dracula). A show like this probably would have been better if it had been produced y the likes of Netflix or HBO…

18. Jinelle says:

I found this show by accident and didn’t see any promos for it. But I have to say it was a nice surprise to see a different spin to the wizard of oz. I fell in love with the show and was sad to see it go way to soon. Next time NBC could try adverising the series better there would be more viewers.

19. John forish says:

Just discovered this show. NBC doesn’t back there shows with good marketing. This show is awesome!

20. Pam says:

Love the show. Everyone can send their feedback to NBC directly. Go to nbc.com/contact us (at bottom of home screen.) Then select programming feedback and emerald city and you can let NBC know how you feel about the show.

21. Hector Flores says:

The show was great bring it back wtf

22. Drama lover says:

The fact that the show was darker was what made it so awesome the original version was nothing compared to this!!!

23. Don’t try to re-write a classic story by introducing modern elements that don’t advance the original author’s concept. I am surprised that this dark twist of a show wasn’t cancelled the first day it aired. The wicked witch blew her own brains out with a handgun. How stupid! Only a witch can kill a witch! So the witch killed herself in typical suicide form. How ridiculously violent and stupid.

24. Drama lover says:

And there is someone in once upon a time I could hate multiple people actually 1 the black fary 2 peter pan 3 Hades

25. Drama lover says:

Dude I understood the show perfectly and I’m only 14!!!!!!! And the show is better because the characters are meaner because Dorothy wasn’t the way she was in the movie I think the movie sucks compared to Emerald City! I knew Lucas was the Scarecrow the moment I saw him!
    If you didn’t understand the show you must not have very good problem solving skills! Emerald City is one of the best shows ever and anyone who thinks otherwise is stupid!!

26. David Wallis says:

It wasn’t necessarily the low viewer ratio that sank Emerald City. It was the writing.

I am a fan of Oz. I have all of Baum’s books and read them all. I could easily live with the “dark” side and saw how apropos the transition could be made.

1. My biggest complaint is that we were thrown into the story without a hint of a back story. I almost did not get past episode 1 because I had no idea what was happening. We are used to watching movies where we are in the middle of a police chase, a gun battle, or an explosion. But we are quickly brought “back to Earth” within fifteen minutes or so and “brought up to speed” on the plot. We feel very comfortable after winding down from the initial rush. But with Emerald City, we had so many questions from the get-go and were made uncomfortable when the credits rolled at the end of the first episode. “Why did the mother leave her baby with a farm couple?” No, no. You have to wait until almost the end of the first season to get that answer. “Who was that couple that spoke a foreign language?” I believe I finally caught a very quick “Auntie Em” in episode 6 or 7. “What was the ‘thing’ about the trailer and the owner found dead?” No idea. “Why was the policeman trying to kill Dorothy?” No real idea.

2. We expected Dorothy to meet the Scarecrow, the Tin Man, and the Cowardly Lion. It took too long before we finally fingered out that Lucas was the Scarecrow. It became obvious when Jack was turned into the Tin Man, again in the middle of the series. But it wasn’t until nearly the end when we finally met the Lion. But by that time, we were ready to throw in the towel. The Gordian’s Knot was unraveling too slowly, too awkwardly, and we lost interest.

3. Everyone was mean, one reviewer mentioned. Everyone except the Advisor whom the Wizard killed with the revolver. The problem with creating a world of everyone being mean is that there is no lovable protagonist. As hard as we try to love Dorothy, we can’t. She is unlovable as she uses her “other head” and bashes around a world she a) doesn’t understand and b) doesn’t take the time to manipulate it. She is brash and listens to no one’s advice, and we pay the price of having to watch her make an escape, time and time again. She doesn’t learn.

I could go on with pages and pages of why Emerald City was unceremoniously dumped on the refuse pile. Other viewers tried to compare the series with a popular one, Once Upon a Time. What made OUAT successful was the two timelines running parallel to each other. Plus which, there were characters we could love and one character in particular we could hate. Not so in Emerald City.

It would have been far better to either have mimicked OUAT’s format, or start with Dorothy’s mother and company entry into Oz and then move forward. We would have then understood why Dorothy’s mother was being pursued, that travel between the “real world” and Oz is possible, and given a reason to care about Dorothy’s fate when she finally was transported into Oz.

IMDb lists no less than fourteen writers (including L. Frank Baum—which is really stretching things a bit for this series), and therein lies the real reason Emerald City died. “Too many cooks spoil the broth.” Then, too, we have to blame Tarsem Singh, the Director, for not riding herd on all of these writers and keep them on track within the original storybook prepared for this series.

27. Not my favorite show, but I would have watched another season. You can’t blame NBC if the ratings are bad, though. That’s how they make their money. Now, if you question the validity of Nielsen’s system, then I might agree with you.

28. Make sure you pre-order the DVD or blu-ray, and sign the petition to bring back the show. These actions will show not only NBC, but other programmers, like Netflix, Showtime and HBO that there’s support and interest for this show.

29. Chrishalene says:

OKAY THIS IS BULLSHIT I DONT UNDERSTAND HOW PEOPLE NOT LIKE THIS SHOW IF IT WAS THE USUAL DOROTHY SERIES IT WOULD HAVE BEEN BORING IM SO MAD RIGHT NOW THEY DID NOT HAVE TO CANCEL WHAT HAPPENS TO THE OTHER 2.9 MIL PEOPLE WHO EMJOYED THIS SHOW SO MUCH???? IM REALLY HURT YOU DONT KNOW HOW MUCH I LOVE THIS SHOW

30. Chelsea says:

IF ANYBODY IS READING THIS LISTEN: there is a petition to get Emerald City back on air. Just google “Emerald City season 2” and scroll until you see petition or click on the website on this comment. Please show it around so that we can make it possible. Thank you

31. Cheryse says:

I absolutely enjoyed this show, you cant take it off the air its too good. I lovr the dark side witch she was absoloutley fascinating and a brilliant actress. Loved all the twists and turns all the way through you can’t leave it like this. Ppppllllllleeeeeaaaassssssseeeeee bring it back

32. Maria Carvalho says:

Oh please you must continue with this amazing series! I just love it! Please!!!

33. Barbara says:

Great series……my family looked forward to Friday nights to watch Emerald City. Sucky move nbc. Please…..another network needs to pick this WINNER series up….we will follow Emerald City and cast. Continue on with this outstanding program. Think of all the followers who were unable to voice their disappointment of the cancellation. Come back Emerald City, come back!

34. Cara says:

Jusy watching now… A great show! Yes, it needs work on character development and more sympathetic characters (almost everyone is mean! Lol) but has anyone gone back and watched rhetoric first season of game of thrones?! Totally different than what it is now. Netflix, or another progressive content creator, would throw some great writers at this and have a huge hit! Love the show! Oh…. And NBC buried it on a Friday night. Mistake. From the get go it was doomed with that scheduling decision.

35. Mustapha says:

A really amazing series. So painful it’s been cancelled. Kudos to all the cast and NBC.

36. Mandy says:

OMG!! Just binged and I love it. Shame they won’t be bringing it back. Be great if Netflix picked it up

37. Dominic Yuen says:

I really enjoyed the first few episodes so far. I think it was quite good to have something so similar to what we know but it is different.

38. Brittney says:

NBC Got this one wrong. Season 2 would have picked up. Just like once Upon A Time. Took a while to get off the ground and get people intrigued. This is really sad.

39. Barb says:

Sad really. I was really enjoying this show. Loved Adria the leading actress. She played the part really well. It’s a shame no season 2. Will have to find some other fantasy to watch.

40. E.E says:

I just watched all the episode in one day
    That was beautiful i don’t know why they have to cancelled it there have been a lot of possibilities given to series that didn’t work
    Why can’t they just give another chance to this one?
    Anyway love from Italy to all the cast of emerald city!

41. Sri says:

Give us back our Emerald Citye…. there’s several shows that I can think of that the station should get rid of… To take away something that the viewers truly enjoy goes to show that the station owners and executives want to tell us what we want to see…. Hello!!!!! I’m a grown woman and I know exactly what I want…. Give us back our Emerald City….! This is one of the reasons I hardly watch tv now, anytime something good comes out, it gets chucked…

42. Drama lover says:

Are you insane Emerald City is one of the best shows ever you have to make a seson 2 i love this show it is better than the movie!!!!!!!!!!

43. Cira S says:

Why re you cancelling it? It’s one of the best shows I’ve ever seen in my life. At least you could wrap it up, instead of just shuting it down.

44. Marie B says:

Shame. Yes it was dark, but in a good way. Real watchers get it.

45. Katy says:

This is really sad. I get into a show only to have it canceled. I agree with the other comments on here. I don’t have cable, so I watch Netflix and Hulu. It sucks that watching on Hulu means we don’t count as viewers. And do the viewers a favor if you are going to leave with a cliffhanger, please follow through. It sucks that as viewers we wait for the next season to only find out that idiots cancel the show.

46. Sarah says:

Clearly NBC is stuck in the 20th century. I don’t watch regular tv because I’m busy during the times they consider “prime” and I don’t pay for cable because they’re rates have become absurd. I watch literally everything on Hulu or Netflix. I know many other people who do the same. So we’re not considered viewers because we can’t watch it during their idea of what’s a popular viewing time. Ugh! You can’t leave a show on a cliffhanger like that!! They should have at least enough sense to wrap it up.

47. TanyaLeigh says:

Thanks NBC for cancelling Constantine, Dracula , Hannibal and now Emerald City! NBC you suck!

48. Misty D Taylor says:

too bad that this show got cancelled. Shortsightedness on NBC’s part. Sure people are going to compare it to The Wizard of Oz but those people are all so short-sighted. The strings that related to The Wizard of Oz are awesome but yet the differences and the changes are mind-blowing and exciting I’ll miss it not coming back.

49. Sarah Memory says:

are you guys for real because how can u cancel the best show

50. Rebecca Aldaba says:

Really I finally get into a show now it’s cancelled.