ABC Cancels ‘Dr. Ken’, ‘The Catch’ After Two Seasons

ABC Cancels 'Dr. Ken', 'The Catch'
Courtesy of ABC

ABC has cancelled Ken Jeong’s Friday night comedy “Dr. Ken” and the Shondaland drama “The Catch” after two seasons.

“Dr. Ken,” from Sony Pictures TV and ABC Studios featured Jeong as a doctor with a challenged bedside manner who is married to a therapist. Dave Foley, Suzy Nakamura, Dana Lee, Jonathan Slavin, Albert Tsai, and Krista Marie Yu also starred. “Dr. Ken’s” exit comes as ABC has also given the ax to its Friday 8 p.m. companion Tim Allen’s “Last Man Standing.” Jeong executive produced the series along with Mike Sikowitz, John Fox, John Davis, and Mary Fitzgerald. Mike O’Connell, Jim Brandon, and Brian Singleton are co-executive producers. The series was produced by Sony Pictures Television and ABC Studios

“The Catch” starred Mireille Enos, Peter Krause, Sonya Walger, John Simm, Jay Hayden, Rose Rollins and Elvy Yost. The series followed the cat-and-mouse game between L.A.’s top private investigator, Alice Vaughan (Enos), and the man she loves, Benjamin Jones (Krause), the world’s most formidable con artist. Shonda Rhimes, Betsy Beers, Allan Heinberg and Julie Anne Robinson served as executive producers. It was developed by Allan Heinberg, who also served as showrunner. The series was produced by ABC Studios.

Related

The Odd Couple

Dozens of TV Shows Canceled Across Networks Ahead of Upfronts

Thus far, ABC has renewed comedies “Modern Family” (for two seasons), “American Housewife,” “The Goldbergs” (for two seasons), and “The Middle,” along with dramas “Once Upon a Time,” “Designated Survivor,” “Grey’s Anatomy” and “How to Get Away With Murder.” “Scandal” had previously been renewed for Season 7, which will reportedly be the show’s last. In addition to “The Catch” “Dr. Ken,” and “Last Man Standing,” the network has canceled “American Crime,” “Imaginary Mary,” and “Secrets and Lies.” ABC had previously canceled freshman dramas “Time After Time,” “Notorious,” and “Conviction.”

Canceled TV Shows in 2017: What’s Not Returning

1. KC says:

So disappoimted Last Man Standing and Dr. Ken have been canceled. My family loves Tim Allen. Although we do not like everything on Dr. Ken, overall it was hilarious. Can’t stand Modern Family…what a bummer.

2. Nancy Joe French says:

I was very disappointed to learn that THE CATCH was cancelled. It was one of my new favorite shows to watch. Such a bummer.

3. Mary Roddy says:

Furious l love the catch,witty,funny and entertaining what is wrong with you !!

4. Janice cook says:

This is very upsetting as I watch all the programs which you are not renewing.

5. Gina Gould says:

As an Asian American I am really upset at ABC canceling Dr. Ken. Fresh off the boat doesn’t cut it, sorry! Also, the Catch was FANTASTIC!!
    IMAGINARY Mary was funny too. Why not cancel American Housewife, the leading character is fat, negative and not funny!!!

6. Lorraine says:

Can’t believe you cancelled Last Man Standing, Dr. Ken, & The Catch.I’ll stop watching you ABC for a long time & hope your ratings go down after cancelling at least 3 good shows.

7. Cheryl Tears says:

I am So Very Sad you cancelled Dr Ken. I can truly say I looked forward to seeing it every week. It was one of the few shows that I really Love. Shame on you ABC. Smh.

8. Flick Hale says:

This was one of the best shows on TV this season. It was the only Shonda Rhimes show that I could really enjoy. The cast was great and the storyline kept evolving with an intelligent combination of wit, intrigue, and character associations that kept me coming back week after week. This seems to happen every time I get to liking a show – I need to just stick with movies on Netlix.

• Miss M says:

I will miss Dr Ken and The Catch … Happy to see Once Upon A Time and How To Get Away With Murder return …

9. Curfew says:

Ohhhhhh. I like The Catch. It was a whole lot of fun. Too Bad.

10. Chastity Key says:

I am very sad that Dr Ken and Last Man Standing were cancelled!! There are not many shows, zero now, that I can set down and feel good about watching with my 10 year old son. These two shows were funny and had good stories to them.

11. moax429 says:

Glad “Dr. Ken” got the pink slip. That show was *never* funny since the time it left the starting gate.