‘Criminal Minds’ Parts With Damon Gupton After Single Season at CBS

Criminal Minds Damon Gupton
Courtesy of CBS

Criminal Minds” has lost another star. Damon Gupton is exiting the CBS procedural after just one season as a series regular due to creative changes in the show, Variety has confirmed.

In response to a message on Twitter posted by football player Tyvis Powell, “When obstacles arise, you change your direction to reach your goal, you do not change your decision to get there,” Gupton responded: “wanted to let you know I appreciate this as I just lost my job. You throwing out the 1st pitch is pure class and a monumental image.”

This season also saw the departure of series star Thomas Gibson, who was fired from the show at the start of the season after an altercation with a producer. In the wake of his exit, several series regulars were added to the main cast, including Gupton, returning player Paget Brewster, a newly promoted Aisha Tyler, and Adam Rodriguez.

The season 12 finale ended in a cliffhanger, with Gupton’s character — along with several other agents — in limbo as their SUVs were rammed at high speed by an 18-wheeler.

“Criminal Minds,” which hails from ABC Studios and CBS TV Studios, will return for its 13th season in September. A spinoff, “Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders,” will also not be returning in the fall after being cancelled following its sophomore season.

1. Mpond says:

Maybe, just maybe, Damon Gupton wasn’t given a fair shot because of all of the fans that do not understand that Thomas Gibson’s own actions led to his dismissal from the show (and is rumored to be the reason that Shemar Moore left). Hold Mr. Gibson accountable for his own poor decisions, the rest of the cast had nothing to do with it. While the character was great, you can’t expect cast or crew to put up with aggressive behavior for your hour of enjoyment.

2. Goodbye and good riddance! Now get Hotch back on the show! His return is the only way I will return to this worthless crap! #NOHOTCHNOWATCH!

3. Donna Laughlin says:

I really enjoyed the Spin off of Criminal Minds. I always enjoy seeing Gary Sinise. Out of all the other shows they have coming back Blue Bloods is the only other one I watch. Guess I will Have to stick with the re-runs on the ID channel. I really miss the two missing from last year but I will give the others a shot. I liked the whole team what a loss for us loyal fans who have been here since the beginning,

4. Russell Calabrese says:

Been a fan of the show since the very first one. I’m gonna miss Mr. Gupton. His character added a cool and calm to the group I found quite refreshing.

5. he was an extremely stiff & wooden. Will not be missed. Bring back Gibson.

6. Holly says:

I am still mourning Gibson. I stopped watching the show. Never gave a damn about Prentice, but they continue to bring her back. The show for me got over the top violent and sick. Not really what I want in a TV Drama. Miss you Hotch!

• wjones58 says:

A couple of years ago I was working on a film, and the head of wardrobe was wearing a Criminal Minds shirt. I asked him if he had worked on the show, and he totally went off on Thomas Gibson! He said he worked on the show for 5 years, and left because he couldn’t take how Thomas Gibson treated everyone, crew and cast alike. Well, apparently his behavior finally caught up with him. He left the show because he said he just had enough of how he treated everyone, and he went to work on CSI. So while you may miss Gibson’s acting, seems the people who had to work with him don’t miss him.

7. Melinda Kinnaird says:

I wish him all the best, but I don’t like that we barely got to know the character.

8. George Lewis says:

Damon Gupton was a very good actor on the show. He’ll be missed, but not terribly. While he might’ve become a key player over time, he wasn’t one yet. Wish him the best in his future endeavors.