Christopher ‘Big Black’ Boykin, ‘Rob & Big’ Star, Dies at 45

Christopher Big Black Boykin Dead
Courtesy of MTV

UPDATED: Christopher “Big Black” Boykin, half of MTV’s “Rob & Big” duo, died on Tuesday, his rep confirmed to Variety. He was 45.

A cause of death has not yet been reported.

Boykin was skateboarder and entrepreneur Rob Dyrdek’s best friend and bodyguard, starring alongside him in “Rob & Big” for three seasons. The fan-favorite reality series showed the two in their day-to-day lives, filming such adventures as adopting a mini-horse and breaking Guinness world records.

Related

Celebrities Who Died in 2017

The show premiered in 2006 and ended in 2008, after Boykin had a child and stopped living with Dyrdek. He would go on to appear in several episodes of Dyrdek’s follow-up to “Rob & Big,” “Fantasy Factory,” as well as three episodes of Dyrdek’s other MTV show, “Ridiculousness.”

“MTV is deeply saddened to learn the news of Christopher ‘Big Black’ Boykin’s passing,” MTV said in a statement. “He was a long time and beloved member of the MTV family and will be greatly missed. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends at this time.”

Before he was on television, Boykin served in the U.S. Navy. He also started a clothing line named after his catchphrase, “Do work,” in 2007.

Boykin last tweeted just a day before his death, on Monday. Chanel West Coast, who appeared with Boykin on “Fantasy Factory” and “Ridiculousness,” tweeted after news broke, “RIP Big Black. My heart is crushed. I’ll remember all the times you made me laugh and my prayers go out to your family.”

He is survived by a nine-year-old daughter, Isis.

Marketplace

1. Daniel Castro says:

To Mr Do Work!!! I love You With All My Heart Words can’t explain how I feel right now. I Have been One of your biggest fans my whole life. My Mom had told me what happened and I kinda went crazy cuz I lost my big Brother AkA Big Black
      Ima keep 100 I started crying I was heart broken Even my Moms was crying.
      RIP Big Brother We all Miss You And Love you. I’m always gonna( Do Work)!!!

2. Paul Ramirez says:

Big black was one of the big homies he made me laugh out loud when I was fighting my depression etc I love his saying ( do work son ) r.i.p. Christopher big black boy kin

3. Bob Elliot says:

I’m so sorry. BB – I loved you and your work with Rob. My utmost thanks to you and sympathies to you and your family. RIP, Big Buddy

4. Ernest Bayless says:

PRAYERS FOR FRIENDS AND FAMILY…..GODS SPEED MY FRIEND…..

5. Rip big blk..much love to you and family.my god bless you

6. Anthony Belew says:

My prayers go out on his family and friends RIP Big Black

7. Heidi Marie says:

my prayers for his family and to Rob, I know he was your bff! I will miss him. rest in peace man

8. Rebecca Allen says:

My prayers go out to his family at this time of great, great sadness and loss. He brought humor and joy into this world to many people, and it’s always a tremendous loss to lose such a wonderful person. God Bless you Rob, and Thank You for the good times. RIP.

9. pcpeeps says:

Sad. I’m guessing heart attack.

10. Isis says:

I miss him dearly and i really loved him but i guess everything happens for a reason love you daddy

11. kaitlyn says:

@robdyrdek Sorry that you lost your best friend this sucks but i pray for you

• Annie says:

Oh my gosh, this is to his daughter and the rest of his family & friends… this is so sad and I had no idea it happen until I seen the previews for the ridiculousness episode that’s going to honor him. I’m over come with sadness and grief as I read the story. Although I didn’t know him personally at all, his big personality on MTV made everybody that watched him feel like they knew him through that TV show. To his daughter I’m sure you’re a beautiful girl, and yes you are 1000% correct that he is watching over you and the rest of your family from above. You now have the best possible guardian angel you could ever ask for, your loving protective father. Hang in there girl and don’t be afraid to talk to him because he is listening. Y’all are in my prayers God bless you and your family. And always rest in peace.

12. Phil says:

Sorry to here this….enjoyed the shows with Rob….RIP and God be with him and his family….

13. Andrew says:

Prayers go out to his daughter, Rob, and family. Thank you for the laughs and for being a positive role model.

14. azoreseuropa says:

I don’t worship the celebrities and stars at all. We are all same people but it is very sad, indeed. According to his wiki that he had an heart attacked before. Not sure if it is the reason of his death. Check his wiki often so that his information will be update for the answer.

15. Jonathan Williams says:

My Guy man you were one cool cat somebody you could depend on at all time were going to miss you big black rip buddy boy

16. Lisa Sanders says:

OMG I LOVED HIM!!! I am so sorry you lost your daddy Isis. I just watched him on Rob & Big a few minutes ago! He always made me laugh. My heartfelt apology and prayers go to his loved ones!!!

17. loco73 says:

RIP Big Black! Funny dude and a decent guy! Rob must be crushed. Sad he had to go at only 45…

18. Debi Harper says:

How sad, I loved watching him and Rob on their adventures. R.I.P Big. <3

19. KidRetro says:

Damn I didn’t know you personally Christopher “Big Black” Boykin, but you were one hell of a dude, and I’m watching you right now on MTV…💯

20. Doris says:

my heart goes out to these that loved him and I pray that God will give his family and friends the strength to get though this difficult time I pray for his daughter that God will keep his arms around his beautiful angel sip

21. Alex Meyer says:

R.I.P.

22. Kevin says:

Not to be a hater on your article but Big Black was 100% NOT a skate boarder FYI…. Either way RIP Big Black!

23. Frontsider says:

Rest in Peace Big Black. Thanks for all the laughs

24. peggy says:

R.I.P BIG BLACK YOU WILL BE MISSED YOU WERE ONE HELL OF A GUY YOU MADE ALOT OF PEOPLE LAUGH PRAYING FOR FAMILY AND FRIENDS

25. Tiffany says:

So sad. He seemed like a nice guy and I loved the show. R.I.P. May God comfort his family.

26. Zach says:

No I lived up as him be my brother where just like rob and big I was big and my brother was rob I always push cops and shit out of the way when he skate

27. Hope Brown says:

So sad to hear about big black. Rob and big was one of my favorite reality shows at one time. RIP black lavender. Hope Brown