CBS Renews 18 Series, Including Freshman Shows ‘Bull,’ ‘Kevin Can Wait’

Bull Kevin Can Wait
Courtesy of CBS

CBS has renewed 18 shows for the 2017-2018 season, including freshman series such as “Bull” and “Kevin Can Wait,” the network announced on Thursday. Among those 18 are the previously announced renewals for “The Big Bang Theory” and “NCIS.”

The shows renewed to date include six comedies such as “Big Bang” and “Life in Pieces”; nine dramas including “Blue Bloods” and “Madam Secretary”; newsmagazines “48 Hours” and “60 Minutes”; and reality series “Survivor.” “Big Brother” was previously renewed for two more seasons back in August. In addition, five freshman shows are part of the network’s early renewals: dramas “Bull” and “MacGyver;” and comedies “Kevin Can Wait,” “Man With a Plan,” and “Superior Donuts.” Noticeably absent from the freshman renewals is the Joel McHale series “The Great Indoors.” The Allison Janney-Anna Faris comedy “Mom” was also renewed, less than a week after Variety exclusively reported that the show was nearing a pick up for a fifth season.

No word yet on the fate of the Bill Paxton starrer “Training Day,” which will move out of its Thursday time slot to Saturday nights beginning on April 8. The move came after Paxton died due to complications from heart surgery on Feb. 25, though the show has suffered from low ratings since its premiere on Feb. 2. Likewise no word on the Katherine Heigl-led legal drama “Doubt,” though do not hold out much hope for that one. The series was pulled from the CBS schedule in February after airing just two episodes.

Related

Big Bang Theory

CBS Clinches Two-Season Renewal for ‘The Big Bang Theory’

Read the full list of renewals and shows still awaiting renewals below.

Comedies

Reality

–“Survivor”

–“Big Brother”

News

–“48 Hours”

–“60 Minutes”

The shows awaiting renewals are as follows:

Comedies

–“2 Broke Girls”

–“The Great Indoors”

–“The Odd Couple”

Dramas

–“Code Black”

–“Criminal Minds”

–“Criminal Minds Beyond Borders”

–“Elementary”

–“Ransom”

–“Training Day”

Reality

–“Hunted”

–“The Amazing Race”

–“Undercover Boss”

1. Mary Sue Sagor says:

I love Elementary…there are so few shows on CBS that I do watch (relatively speaking – 10 out of the entire line-up is not that many…I just don’t want to lose Sherlock and Joan…Please? You’ve saved Code Black and all the NCIS variations, and Bull, Madam Secretary and Scorpion, Blue Bloods, and the only comedy I watch, Life in Pieces…Please save Holmes and Watson for me, and I’ll have my week of entertainment!

2. Margie says:

Undercover boss should be renewed. It is great that all the NCIS, and Bull…Made it for renewal! 😊
    I am happy to know that Big Bang Theory will be back!

3. Debbie Lisle says:

this needs to be updated, criminal minds beyond borders and 2 broke girls have been cancelled

4. John says:

This article is outdated or incorrect about the fate of one show. “Scorpion” was already picked up early for a fourth season.

5. Mary Sue Sagor says:

Code Black is one of only 8 shows I watch on the entire network. So now Code Black and Elementary are in danger of cancellation. I am VERY sorry to hear that, as CBS airs more shows that I watch than any of the other networks. How bad must the programming be, that I prefer to watch reruns of old shows than sit through some new offering on one of the “Big Four” (ABC, NBC, CBS, and Fox) – It used to be that my DVR recorded as many as 8 or 9 shows in any given evening. Now, there are as few as 1 or 2…split among 7 or 8 networks, including SyFy, Food, USA and TNT…
    AND NOW YOU ARE CONSIDERING TAKING AWAY ELEMENTARY AND CODE BLACK…???
    Thank heaven for cable, Hulu, Netflix, and Acorn!!!

6. Patricia Janik says:

loved Pure Genius wish they would give it another chance

7. Jeff Harner says:

Great Indoors needs to be renewed so does Ransom, hate that they got rid of Pure Genius I really liked that show

8. kevin says:

not surprised by 2 broke girls at this point w/ no renewal – that show has been dying a slow death for a couple years… but TBBT has been dying a slow death for well over 1/2 decade. it’s not so much that it’s unwatchable anymore, it’s that it is syndicated where i live sooooo much that i can’t even watch the new episodes anymore. i now feel like i’m watching the last 2 seasons of ‘how i met your mother’ over and over and over again. bleh.

Kevin Can Wait and Man w/ a Plan both need to have the studios where they are filmed burned to the ground so we don’t have to even see commercials for either of them ever again.

superior donuts is horrible. judd hirsch? really?
    life in pieces is a bad copy of modern family. please continue to tell us again how often the red-headed son masturbates in the shower. please… no – don’t.
    finally the only reason to watch macgyver is Tristin Mays. she’s absolutely stunning.

9. Dana says:

Yes!!! I have been waiting to get Kevin James back on t.v. and last week’s episode was the absolute funniest yet (hibachi scene!) The show itself started slow for me….adjusting to this new wife (hard to top the chemistry between Kevin and Leah on air) but the character of “Chale” is hilarious and the timing between Kevin and Chale make up for so-so family cast of characters. No offense to the actors and actresses of course. The friends of Kevin and the neighbor are also well casted. Love it! Love Sandler, Romano and need Remini and the guy who played Deacon..haha He is on Sneaky Pete now so he may be busy….lol I am a die hard King of Queens fan in case you haven’t noticed.

I also love Matt LeBlanc’s show…..he is great and his family fits well together … great show to renew!

One more: I hate to admit it but I still watch Big Brother….since the get go. Julie Chen has the anti-aging thing down pat and needs to share her secret…lol!

10. Mitchem says:

“Kevin Can Wait” writers need to pick it up. The show started off great, but the writing has been very poor lately. Definitely still a good show, but more physical comedy as in the second episode is needed. Congrats on the pick up, but looking for more funny…much more funny. Kevin James and the “Chale” character are naturally funny.

• Mitchem says:

Oh, and more stunt casting for “Kevin Can Wait.” The episodes with Ray Romano and the one with Adam Sandler were absolutely hysterical.

11. Rachel Pierce says:

I am surprised that Elementary was not renewed, same with Code Black..I will miss both shows if they are not renewed.

12. Another Poster says:

Congratulations to all the shows whose renewal was announced in March. Criminal Minds is usually always a last minute renewal, due to contract negotiations.
    For those programs that are going to be cancelled and are still airing original episodes, I really hope they get a series finale that wraps everything up and does not leave their fans asking questions about unresolved issues.
    I do admit that the renewal of Superior Donuts is the one that surprised me the most, as I watched it and I have never found it to be a very funny comedy, (and the ratings are not that great), however for the fans of the program, I am happy for you.
    All of the remaining programs that got renewed had good ratings, many are owned by CBS, and Mom is popular with Emmy voters. Anyone, who knows anything about TV and CBS could have predicted they would be renewed. TV Screener aka Zap2it aka TV By the Numbers Cancellation Bear predicted they would be renewed months ago.

13. Dunstan says:

There isn’t a single show on any of the traditional networks that can hold a candle to “pay TV” shows like Peaky Blinders, Happy Valley, Broadchurch, Homeland, Into The Badlands, Outlander etc.

14. Jeffery Bettincourt says:

Big Brother received a 2 season renewal last summer. So it is already renewed, and not in limbo.

15. gnarly says:

Hunted was THE best new show this year. I hope it gets renewed.

16. chuckiechk says:

Big Brother was already renewed for a 2017 and 2018 cycle

17. heyitsron says:

Criminal Minds? Ok. The only one that really gets me to CBS is SURVIVOR. Yes, tropical, jungle, palm tree laden, ocean (there) SURVIVOR. The rest of them listed above? Abiding their time. And the next time I meet a girl or anyone for that matter who watches Big Bang…..I’ll walk away. Quickly. How does this keep returning like a bad case of clap?