Fox News Fires Bill O’Reilly Amid Sexual Harassment Storm

Bill O'Reilly Scandal
REUTERS/Newscom

In a shocking reversal of fortune for one of the most prominent voices in TV news, Bill O’Reilly has been ousted from Fox News Channel amid the firestorm over sexual harassment allegations leveled against the host in recent years.

“After a thorough and careful review of the allegations, the Company and Bill O’Reilly have agreed that Bill O’Reilly will not be returning to the Fox News Channel,” Fox News parent company 21st Century Fox said in a statement Wednesday.

In a memo to staffers signed by Rupert Murdoch, chairman of Fox News; James Murdoch, 21st Century Fox CEO; and Lachlan Murdoch, exec chairman of 21st Century Fox, the Murdochs said the decision to part ways with O’Reilly was made after working with outside attorneys. Fox News had been investigating the most recent harassment allegations that surfaced in the past two weeks. The Murdochs said they sought to “underscore our consistent commitment to fostering a work environment built on the values of trust and respect.”

In a separate memo sent by Rupert Murdoch to Fox News staffers, the chairman acknowledged “how difficult this has been for many of you. Thank you for your hard work, patience, and for the great job you all do delivering news and opinion to millions of Americans whose trust you earn every day.”

The decision to turn O’Reilly loose appears to have been made between Tuesday and Wednesday by the Murdochs. The sons who took control of their father’s empire in June 2015 are said to have persuaded their father that continuing to back O’Reilly was a no-win situation for the larger corporate enterprise.

Related

Tucker Carlson Fox News

Fox News Will Replace Bill O’Reilly With Tucker Carlson

O’Reilly has been off the air since last Wednesday, part of what was billed a planned vacation around the Easter holiday. He had initially planned to return to his 8 p.m. show “The O’Reilly Factor” on April 24. But as outrage mounted and new allegations of inappropriate behavior surfaced, it became clear to the Murdochs and other leaders of 21st Century Fox that the company could no longer afford to back the star who helped bring Fox News to prominence nearly 20 years ago.

O’Reilly has been enmeshed in controversy since the start of this month after The New York Times reported that five women have received payments coming to about $13 million in exchange for agreeing not to pursue litigation or speak about accusations related to sexual harassment or inappropriate behavior. O’Reilly has denied the allegations and said he entered into settlements to spare his family. O’Reilly’s attorney said Tuesday that the host was the target of a “smear campaign” funded by far-left advocacy groups.

Related

Bill O'Reilly

Protesters Call on Fox News to Fire Bill O’Reilly

As the controversy snowballed, dozens of advertisers yanked their commercials from his program and insisted they run elsewhere in Fox News’ programming schedule. Producers had to prepare for eight to ten minutes of additional content each night on the network’s “Factor” to make up for the migrating ad time.

The O’Reilly controversy surfaced as Fox News Channel and its parent continue to grapple with legal matters related to last year’s departure of Roger Ailes, the network’s founder and former CEO. He was ousted in 2016 in the wake of an internal investigation into sexual harassment allegations levied at him by Gretchen Carlson, a former Fox News anchor. The probe by the law firm of Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton and Garrison turned up other accusations, all of which Ailes denied. Fox had to bring in the law firm again after a former female Fox contributor made a new allegation via a corporate hotline put in place to give employees a way to make intolerable workplace conditions known.

The anchor’s departure will help quiet the fires around Fox News of late. But it could come at a big cost for the channel and 21st Century Fox, which relies on the news powerhouse for as much as 20% of its operating income.

“The O’Reilly Factor” has been the linchpin of the Fox News primetime lineup, and in recent months has typically lured between 3 million and 4 million viewers each weeknight. Moments after confirming the ouster of O’Reilly, Fox News unveiled a revised schedule to begin on Monday, anchored at 8 p.m. by Tucker Carlson’s “On the Record,” which bowed in January at 9 p.m. on the heels of another high-profile anchor departure, Megyn Kelly. The roundtable show “The Five” will make a big leap from 5 p.m. to the 9 p.m. slot. Sean Hannity remains in place at 10 p.m.

Carlson’s show has been a pleasant surprise for Fox News in that he has improved on the time period ratings delivered by Kelly’s “The Kelly File.” But the real test for Carlson begins Monday when he opens the night without the benefit of the “O’Reilly Factor” lead-in. Backlash among O’Reilly loyalists could cost Fox News viewership, especially at a time when numerous digital startups are vying for the conservative viewers who have long buoyed Fox News primetime lineup.

Rupert Murdoch in his memo sought to rally the troops, who have weathered the internal storms that began last summer with Ailes’ hasty exit.

Fox News has demonstrated again and again the strength of its talent bench,” Murdoch wrote. “We have full confidence that the network will continue to be a powerhouse in cable news.”

Here is the full memo sent by Rupert Murdoch, Lachlan Murdoch and James Murdoch:

Colleagues,

We’d like to address questions about Bill O’Reilly’s future at Fox News. After a thorough and careful review of allegations against him, the Company and Bill O’Reilly have agreed that Mr. O’Reilly will not return to the Fox News Channel.

This decision follows an extensive review done in collaboration with outside counsel.

By ratings standards, Bill O’Reilly is one of the most accomplished TV personalities in the history of cable news. In fact, his success by any measure is indisputable. Fox News has demonstrated again and again the strength of its talent bench. We have full confidence that the network will continue to be a powerhouse in cable news.

Lastly, and most importantly, we want to underscore our consistent commitment to fostering a work environment built on the values of trust and respect.

Rupert Murdoch also sent a separate memo to Fox News staffers:

Dear Colleagues:

I would like to address questions about Bill O’Reilly’s future at Fox News.  After a thorough and careful review of allegations against him, the Company and Bill O’Reilly have agreed that Mr. O’Reilly will not return to the Fox News Channel.

By ratings standards, Bill O’Reilly is one of the most accomplished TV personalities in the history of cable news.  In fact, his success by any measure is indisputable.  Fox News has demonstrated again and again the strength of its talent bench.  We have full confidence that the network will continue to be a powerhouse in cable news. Please see attached for our new programming line-up.

Most importantly, we want to underscore our consistent commitment to fostering a work environment built on the values of trust and respect.

I understand how difficult this has been for many of you.  Thank you for your hard work, patience, and for the great job you all do delivering news and opinion to millions of Americans whose trust you earn every day.  I look forward to even more success in the coming years.

1. don brandel says:

Fox News will lose a lot of viewers without Bill O’Reilly. CNN will out rate them now. The Factor made Fox what it was and there is not a single person who can replace him successfully. I don’t know the real facts of this case but sounds a lot like too much politically correctness.

2. Janice Pfeifer says:

I think the crux of the matter over firing Bill Oreilly was that he wasn’t afraid to voice facts the (left)didn’t agree with. He was our real source of the truth which isn’t told on other channels, and he will be sorely missed. AND, where are the PROVEN FACTS of sexual harressment? Someone didn’t like his truthful,informative, and entertainig show,THAT’S the facts!

3. Tracy Hendricks says:

I cannot believe that a man who works for a company for 20 years can be fired over some unfounded allegations. So the truth of the matter is you are guilty until you are proven innocent in a court of law and in this case you are just plain guilty! How is it that someone can just make an allegation and ruin someones life without anything to back up that claim? This is completely unjustified and Fox news shame on you! This absolutely disgusts me…..these women have had nothing happen to them and all they do is cry sexual harassment…why because someone said something to them that they didn’t like…well grow up…we have all had our feelings hurt or something said to us that we didn’t appreciate but we all don’t go wailing and or suing anyone and making a public spectacle of ourselves. You ladies should be ashamed of yourselves because there are real women out there that have the right to be heard on account that they have had something REAL happen to them!!! This is so petty and it really upsets me that someone could simply make something up about you and make your life a living hell while you try to figure out a way to prove somehow that you are innocent!! Sickening!!!!

4. Maddalyn Janis says:

You Murdochs have just sabotaged your cable channel. Myself and many people i know watched your channel BECAUSE OF THE FACTOR AND BILL OREILLY. If you caved in to women and women groups you have been had! Many women falsely accuse stars and entertainers of sexual harrasment for the momey…HELLO! And attorneys are useless money grubbers the most corrupt bunch of weasels that get law degrees not for the case and client but billsble hours. So what i am saying. Is you Murdochs just sabotaged your FOX channel and my friends and i consider your channel history and can ot watch FOX AT ALL! We dont know when you will falsely axe another of your commentators and its to painful to watch them because they also miss Oreilly and are in remorse and cant trust you idiots. As a woman i am ashamed of these women groups that are a ploy for the left. Thats right…you look like total asses for giving in to them. Wherever Oreilly goes we will go. Sionara FOX!

5. Suki says:

So interesting what people find important to get offended about, and what they don’t. I dealt with remarks made by men in places where I worked, and they were NOTHING compared to when I worked at a police department and a K9 was brought into the station and hanged to unconsciousness on the night shift. His pleading cries before he went unconscious still haunt me. It was done deliberately to upset the civilian night crew, and send the message, “Try and stop me.” There is SO much more to this, but aside from the fact that there is no law in place that governs this type of “harassment,” all of my efforts to report it, get it stopped (I discovered hanging and other tortures of K9’s happens routinely in virtually all departments, behind the scenes), I have run into brick walls everywhere I have gone, even after putting up a website. When another woman was physically assaulted by a lieutenant for speaking out against another dog strangulation incident (and then the lieutenant filed a police report against HER), we tried to get help for her, even writing to Gloria Allred. But it was rejected. Not newsworthy enough, I guess. I’ve sacrificed a lot, even had attempts made on my life. To me, it makes being offended by a remark, or even a pass, downright SILLY.

6. I’m a right-wing conservative. A couple of years ago O’Reilly made this statement to Megyn Kelly”

Bill O’Reilly: “I agree with you 100-percent. . . . The compelling argument is on the side of homosexuals. That’s where the compelling argument is. “We’re Americans. We just want to be treated like everybody else”. That’s a compelling argument. And to deny that, you’ve got to have a very strong argument on the other side. And the other side hasn’t been able to do anything but thump the Bible”.

How he feels about homosexuals is his business and fine with me. But calling Christians who oppose that activity “Bible thumpers” was a little too much. That was the end of O’Reilly for me.

7. Pamela says:

Who accused him?
    What exactly did he do?
    I read where one woman went the view and therefore I am not apt to believe her.

8. diane l stevens says:

My husband and i enjoyed fox news only but now will be looking into some other i guess…we will watch hannity the judge and waters only…it seems to me you let bill make you a ton of money and the first hint of a scandal and you run….thats just wrong on so many levels…im just so pissed off and will not watch your network anymore….get rid of greg gutfeld please…those of us that are alittle older want someone isnt a smartass all the time…im sure there are tons of companies that would have loved to advertise in bills time slot…i just noticed your putting that piece of crap Caitlin jenner on with tucker…im embarrassed for your network…good ridence…ill miss watching

9. maybe a fox news channel with all woman and another with all men…problem solved

10. P Izor says:

I’ll never watch Fox News again. They let the left wing keep doing this GROW UP PEOPLE Dems/Murdock keep your celebrities.

11. Mike Kinker says:

Fox news is the only News ORGANIZATION I watch .If I dont see proof soon of these.I will boycott Fox and Twitter for others to do the same .This stinks of a left wing Dems /Murdock conspiracy.You forced Greta out with your bias…too.I will watch closely to see if you disclose the real facts /truth or Im gone and will fight a treet war against this Organization every chance I can .
    I ” demand” a full independent investigation..I demand it!!!’
    Mike Kinker

12. Rob says:

FOX News thinks losing Bill will not hurt them. What???!!! I have been watching Fox for 20 + Years because of Bill. Fox might as well merge with CNN now … I’m done with Fox News. Bill should start his own network, I would watch it.

13. Leeann says:

I am upset that O Riley is leaving. Fox will never be able to replace him. Why didn’t Fox have a dress code for the women. Why was the black lady’s boobs hanging out in a work place?? I’m a woman the only time I dress that way is if I’m looking for male attention. I Blaim the woman. They provoke then accuse men. Fox Murdock I’m upset with you. Put a dress code in place and get Bill Back

• Connie Basham says:

FOX does have a dress code for women. They wear dresses–short dresses, so their legs are featured. Short sleeves or sleeveless. The lower-cut, the better. Dana Perino gets away with high-cut tops. But Kimberly dresses like all the other gals. Greta, I believe, was the only one who was allowed to wear pants/pantsuits on-screen. All the women should take a stand against the ridiculous dress code. It’s embarrassing to all other women.

14. Vern White says:

Bill O’Rilly, is the only reason I have watched fox, needless to say, I won’t be watching fox in the future!!

15. alex says:

First off, folks, let’s not be so judgemental, we don’t know what really being said. Sometimes there is a fine line between compliment remarks and sexual harassment. Did these women take his compliments and turn into sexual harassment? We really don’t know what was said between Bill and these women. I Bill says to the woman “That is a nice dress you’re wearing” is that sexual harassment? Seems like we are taking sides without even knowing what was being said on both sides. Are there any witnesses? If it is he says, she says, then Bill will lose out because there are five women who might get together and make false statements against him, so hence maybe that is why he rather to pay them off. Bet you in the coming days or weeks they will be more women coming out of woodwork to get a piece of pie. I know FOX News don’t want anymore hassle with all these allegations against Bill, so it is a shame to let him go. So let give Bill a chance to speak out his side of the story, whether good or bad and then we can judge.

16. Jeremy Amos says:

I heard that Baylor University offered O’Reilly a position as Director of Recruiting.

17. Anne Murray says:

I believe Bill O’Reilly is Innocent .This has happened before (He was set up). I believe this is clearly what has happened here.

18. No one on the left ever complained about Bill Clinton and his serial rape crimes. The left is trying desperately to find something to stand for. Pathetic.

19. Walter Shuttlecock says:

Well right wing power appears to be full of old men who think their power is higher than the law. Even allegedly the President who used to celebrate his masculinity when draft dodging. Whilst I understand men can feel attracted they should respectfully move that person or control themselves. I had an agreement with my wife on my secretary’s. I hire she marries them off. All works fine.

20. Mary Kay O'Brien says:

I am disgusted by the celebration comments. So hypocritical. You all support bill Clinton. Rejoicing over this. I think you are a bunch of fascists out to destroy anyone who doesn’t share your leftist political views.

• You’re disgusted that a man who’s always talking about how bad people are is actually a bad person? What the F does Bill Clinton have to do with this? Man, you’re moral compass is broken, lady. The channel you love is filled with men who abuse their power to intimidate, harass and demoralize women, but… Bill Clinton??? Do you know what a fascist is? You’re the lady with the drunk husband who beats his kids but you tell everyone how wonderful he is when he isn’t drunk. You’re a danger to society, lady.

21. Terri Huddleston says:

I enjoyed watching Bill O’Reilley show in fact his show is what got me watching Fox News. So needless to say I am disappointed in the decision that was made against him. I have thoughts about not watching Fox anymore, cause if you can do this to a man who has been on for sometime & they just let him go. I think Fox News was totally wrong.

22. Hilda says:

I used to watch Bill OReilley, Hannity and Judge Pirro. Now it will only be Sean Hannity and Judge Pirro. Without them I will no longer be watching Fox News.

• WestCoastNinja says:

Yep! Same with our family. Hannity and judge pirro the only good ones worth watching left. They actually speak up for what it true and correct.

23. Leon Kushner says:

Although I like Fox news, O’Reilly was my least favorite. I found him arrogant and boring. He will not be missed. He had a good run and made lots of $. I was sick of him always trying to sell his books on his show. I always felt like he was talking down to his guests and to us, the viewers. I doubt if we’ll ever know the truth about the real reason he was let go but regardless, this is good news. Get some new young blood in there. There are plenty of talented people out there who would be thrilled to do the job at a fraction of what he was being paid.

24. joe m washigton says:

the prob with our legal system & lawyers is that it is cheaper to pay off an allegation that may not even be true than it is to defend it in the courts ” to settle ” there is no clear legal statute defined for sexual harassment it is solely based on ” how a woman feels to a comment good grief so the gold diggers can run wild & off to the bank the left wing groups can get their internet trolls active and threaten advertisers by purchasing bots to run wild and the Murdochs save over 20 million a year in orally s salary they just funded 4-5 more grandchildren for life 14 years of the BILL OREILLY FACTOR in this house well. ill reset my dvr & start a new hoppy with that hour
    I’m very disappointed in the murdochs spineless move

25. joe says:

Fox cave in I will stop viewing Fox You are a bunch of then skin jerks.
    And your two sons are not to brite to let this happen…

26. Heidi says:

This is heart breaking news! Bill O’Reilly has been a part of our household discussions for many years. I can only hope that he knows how much we care about him, and hope he continues his career in the public eye… Forever Faithful, H Beattie

27. MAC says:

OK, you folks who thought he was great, hurry down to your book store and get stocked up on his narratives before they are burned.

28. Mary Beth Bukvic says:

Another good one gone. God help this country

• Unknown says:

Sick and tired of women trying to make money yelling Sexual harassment! Means nothing anymore why do they always wait years to have it exposed something wrong here,

29. You let the left win again Goodbye Fox News he was the only reason I tuned in then stayed on Not now

30. Ron says:

The new owners ( the sons ) of the Fox News program are really idiots to let Bill O’Reilly go. Most people know what is going on here. The far left are definitely behind all this. It just seems funny this news story and these women just came about while Mr. O’Reilly was totally demolishing ABC, NBC, CNBC and all the other BS news programs, oh yea and the New York Post, The New York Times and fellow out of date papers and magazines. People are not stupid!
    Mr. O’Reilly is why I became interested in the news and especially Fox News. I never watched the news before the Trump election and Mr. O’Reilly did a wonderful job making the whole campaign interesting with facts. Trucker Carlson is a decent show but he is NO BILL O’REILLY ! ! !

31. Blue Silver says:

Another A-hole bites the dust….. Next up, clean The White House!!!!

32. Not Frank Friendly says:

He was a terrible man horrible anchor and had more in common with hitler then America. Good riddance to bad people.

33. orsonw1 says:

The article is inaccurate out of the gate: Billo’s relationship to news (i.e., facts and truth) was nonexistent.

34. The Truth says:

Where is the evidence of this “vast left wing conspiracy” that brought down Bill O’Reilly? All the women who made allegations against him are politically conservative, as are the 60 Fox News advertisers that fled from the hypocritical stench of The No Spin Zone. And only a fool would consider the Fox hierarchy (who made the ultimate decision) to be leftist.

Whenever rich and politically powerful men are laid low by their wanton sexual appetites, there are cries of a “vast” political conspiracy — either right wing (Clinton, Edwards) or left wing (O’Reilly, Ailes). The reality is much less complicated. Regardless of their political persuasions, these men are male chauvinist reprobates who believe their wealth and influence entitle them to make direct sexual advances with impunity toward whomever they target.

The Pussy Grabber-in-Chief articulated this perspective during his “locker room” boasts to Billy Bush, “When you’re a star, they let you do it. You can do anything.”

Apparently not so for O’Reilly, who repeatedly added insult to injury by retaliating professionally when his inappropriate propositions were rebuffed. He couldn’t stop himself from hitting on his female business colleagues. Furthermore, he didn’t have the the balls to take rejection like a man and just move on. He had to take umbrage and strike back. How pathetic.

Bill Clinton’s escaped from retribution for his sexual misconduct in office undermines the credibility of any attempt by the Democratic party to assume the moral high ground in these matters. The elephant in the room during the last election was the likelihood that Hillary Clinton was complicit in her husband’s unacceptable sexual behavior by repeatedly covering it up and sliming the women involved. How could she credibly denounce Trump as sexual sleaze when she had (claiming “a vast right wing conspiracy”) publicly validated her sleazy spouse and shamed his victims?

Bottom line: Whatever else they’ve achieved, Bill O’Reilly, Bill Clinton, Roger Ailes, and Donald Trump are all sexual creeps. Let’s hope they get the justice they deserve for what they’ve done. For Clinton and Trump the worm has yet to turn. But in O’Reilly’s case, for the moment, karma is a bitch.

35. ReX says:

But . . . but . . . who will tell Republitards what to think now? Oh, the huMANity!

36. pfon71361 says:

Opinionated, smart and acerbic Bill O’Reilly was all of those things but also not terribly respectful of his women colleagues according to publicized reports. The latter quality finally, after years of paying for silence, caught up with him. Now with a career in disarray and many millions of dollars in potential earnings presumably gone a heartfelt mea culpa should be forthcoming from O’Reilly. But another of his qualities will no doubt make that admission unlikely: being prideful.

37. ReX says:

If you ever needed proof that Republitards are the most reactionary, thin-skinned, hate-filled bunch, look no further than the comments here. So very, very gratifying to see their true viciousness come to the surface so quickly.

38. Grendelpants says:

This might be my favorite comments section EVER. I’m collecting all the angry-tinyragefist-redfaced tears shed by The Big Giant Head’s fans and salting my food with them.

Ahhhh, delicious!

39. Lela Northcutt says:

Fox news loses again. Tucker is fine but the 5@ 9?? You can’t replace oReilly. What are you doing with the real star of Fox,. Sean Hannity?? We all wait for 9:00 for Hannity to get the real news. Big mistake not backing OReilly- Fox will lose more $$ by letting O’Reilly go.

40. Yet Bill Cosby continues to strut around like an NBC peacock. Can’t say good riddance to Billy, never cared for him. but everyone needs to be judged the same.

• Beware of the penguin says:

The real star of Fox, surely you jest! He is just above being smarter than a bag of hammers. He is a bobble head repeater,

• Lisa says:

What does this have to do with Bill Cosby?? Other than the first name? Are you saying that Bill O’Reilly being fired is comparable to Bill Cosby being allowed to breathe????

41. Terry says:

Goodbye Fox News unbelievable you have fallen to the left, you’re just as bad as the other news channels you caved in like a chicken. No bill O’Reilly no fox viewers in my household. 😥

Love you Bill hope to see you on another channel soon

• Steve Winters says:

He would be good on One America News Network.Really Great Channel.

• ReX says:

Yeah, shame on them for getting rid of a SEXUAL PREDATOR. But don’t you worry, I’m sure there’s another Conservatard network out there where he can chase skirts until they catch him again.

• Steve Winters says:

You shouldn’t talk about Sexual Predators like that Bill Clinton want to reserve that position for himself!

42. JM says:

Fox chicken shits bow to political correct left. We are with you Bill.

43. Alex Meyer says:

Good riddance!!

44. jim says:

As soon as i heard this I thought they’ll find some one worse. Hey I was right. Sucker carlson. Another fox idiot.

45. Jeanne says:

I am an eighty four year old retired illuminating engineer a female who did it on her own,and have seen hundreds of other females lie, distort, demean and destroy the lives and careers of men who would not give them a second glance. Fox media can take lies from any money grubbing bimbo seeking negative attention………. but many people like see through their sickness. Good bye FOX you and your horny pole dancers can take a dive !!!!

• Eileen McRae says:

I have to agree with you on this Jeanne. As a senior female, I know just how money-grubbing some females can be. This is a fact that many commenters choose to overlook in their denouncement of Mr. O’Reilly. He has been accused, tried, and sentenced in the court of public opinion. It may have been much better for him if he had rebutted these allegations in a court of law.

A warning for any red-blooded American man who reaches a pinnacle serving in the public eye, WEAR A BODY CAM to protect yourselves because there will always women out there seeking to use you to advance their careers and make money!

Fox News will lose millions of viewers because of this.

• ReX says:

Wow, victim blaming from the right. So typical. So pathetic. And how predictable that “credentials” are supposed to justify it. Back in the kitchen, Jeanne. Your man’s ready for his dinner.

• Martha Lide says:

Jeanne, I agree with you, all the way. How happy will George Sorus be that he has helped delete the
      only powerful voice against his socialist/communist agenda. He can use women or any other devious
      lies he pleases. Fox you do not have ANYONE than can take his place.
      THIS IS A COMPLETE DISASTER.
      GOODBYE FOX.

46. rwithrow says:

ever since Murdoch met with valerie jarrett fox news been leaning left. this just confirms it, a long time thorn in the left side finally wins. time to dump fox news for another news we can count on .

47. Mr & Mrs Vittorio Federico says:

I am truly disappointed in the Murdoch’s lack of standing with Mr. O’reilly. We believe he has proven his honesty and upstanding character throughout his broadcasting career. At a time when our country needs good honest people to tell us the facts, you at Fox Murdoch’s, let us all down! God help us🙏🏻
    We’re standing by Bill O’Reilly!

• Sandra Bridges says:

ABSOLUTELY! We have to overwhelm all these gloating liberals who are so enjoying the downfall of their most prominent adversary!

• Grendelpants says:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ What are you going to do? Post more comments than “the gloating liberals”? Will Bill get his job back if you do? How many more do you need in order to feel better? How will you keep count?

I have so many questions!

48. Sandra Bridges says:

Again, the left is successful will a smear campaign against a successful adversary. This truly boggles the mind for those of us capable of thinking rationally. I will NEVER watch Fox News again. I’m left with only BBC for a semblance of real news. Actual uncensored world news has only been available outside the US for decades now. Fox is left to find someway to find another four million viewers as promised to their chicken advertisers…

49. Jim says:

Wow, there are some really small minded people on these pages. I’m guessing 99.9% of these comments are from people outside of the industry anyway?

Listen: this has nothing to do with left or right, liberal or conservative. Keeping O’Reilly around would have put another obstacle in the way of the same goal the Murdoch’s have been pursuing for years: purchasing Sky. They already had a phone hacking scandal get in the way of their first go around, and if you don’t think this kind of corporate drama plays a huge role in these kinds of mergers you don’t know business. O’Reilly and his ratings are small potatoes compared to what full ownership of Sky could bring to 21st.

50. Karen Neeley says:

Fox News is responsible for using woman in aprovoctive ways. Have you ever seen a ugly woman on Fox News. They to profit with the use of woman in short dresses and log legs. Wake woman don’t use your bodies to get a job