‘The Factor’ Ratings Rise for Fox News in Wake of Bill O’Reilly Ouster

Bill O'Reilly
AP

Ratings for “The Factor,” formerly “The O’Reilly Factor,” were up considerably on Wednesday night in the wake of the announcement that host Bill O’Reilly has been fired by Fox News.

The Dana Perino-hosted edition of the 8 p.m. cable news show clocked in with 3.3 million viewers, with 625,000 of those falling in the key adults 25-54 demo. That is approximately a 22% increase in total viewers and approximately a 25% boost in the demo compared to Tuesday’s episode (2.7 million, 499,000). Wednesday’s ratings were good enough to beat even some broadcast shows, including a new episode of “Shots Fired” (3.2 million) on Fox.

O’Reilly was fired from the network on Wednesday as he deals with the fallout from multiple sexual harassment allegations. He has been under fire since a New York Times report surfaced stating that five women had received payments coming to about $13 million in exchange for agreeing not to pursue litigation or speak about accusations related to sexual harassment or inappropriate behavior by O’Reilly. O’Reilly in a statement said his fame had made him a target, but that no complaint about him had ever been made through Fox’s human-resources hotline.

A large number of advertisers subesequently announced their decision to suspend their ties with “The Factor,” including Jenny Craig, GlaxoSmithKline, Mitsubishi Motors, BMW and Ainsworth Pet Nutrition.

The network  also announced Wednesday that Tucker Carlson will move to O’Reilly’s 8 p.m. slot starting Monday, April 24. Fox News will fill Carlson’s former berth with its panel show, “The Five,” which will be co-anchored by Kimberly Guilfoyle, Dana Perino, Bob Beckel, Greg Gutfeld, Jesse Watters and Juan Williams will Sean Hannity will remain at 10 p.m.

1. Joannie in Arizona says:

It’s hard to believe the ratings have gone up, but joining others just for more information about Mr. O’Reilly guess I contributed. No more! Cannot stand “The Five” and IMO all others (except Hannity) are amateurs compared to Bill O’Reilly. It seems to me your advertisers and the far left want FOX News to be gone – period. Bill O’Reilly was just the latest lightening rod. Very sad. Goodbye.

2. George Hebert says:

I have taken Fox off my list of channels to watch. O’Reilly was the only person who exposed all the media bias against Trump. So I’m only watching sports from now own because at least I know the score are not skewered.

3. Deb says:

I removed Bill’s time slot from my DVR. I’ve seen some post that Hannity is next! I suppose Judge Jeanine is right behind him. The liberals don’t want anything that has to deal with the truth come out because they think it’s destroying the democratic party. They are destroying their own party they don’t need anyone to help them. So long FNC it was fun while it lasted! Good luck Bill O’Reilly!! You will be missed.

4. Robert Spinello says:

This show was an important part of my life because I watched Bill almost every night for 17 years. Fox and the stupid-ass Murdock brothers can kiss my Italian ass. I won’t watch Fox again until they beg Bill to return.They’re gonna lose a lot of viewers like me. and if they don’t put Bill back on the air, after they kiss my ass again, they can go f—- themselves.

5. Stephanie Miller says:

Considering Wednesday was the last day on everyone’s DVR to record The O’Reilly Factor BEFORE the total name change, this is obviously a reflection of those that watch the show in the first place. I didnt know about his firing until i watched Dana Parino talk about it on THE O’REILLY FACTOR THAT I RECORDED ON MY DVR WEDNESDAY NIGHT!!! This article is bullcrap clickbait, thats all. Were not gonna know the full fallout of the ratings drop for another week or so.

6. Barbara Keith says:

No one will be able to replace Bill O Reilly .I am very disappointed that Fox would fire him when it has not been proven if these rumors are true. They have nothing to do with his show. I will not be watching Fox any more.

7. Kaboom! says:

The real news is: “Nobody Is Watching Rachel Maddow, Why Is She Still On MSNBC?”

8. Krissy says:

will not be watching fox news anymore. only reason I watched the fox news network was due to bill O’Reilly. it’s ashame you made him guilty of something with no trial….will just boycott everything on this channel now, hopefully bill goes to a new network and all rating follow. ….fox news should be ashamed of itself

9. Ratings are up because people wanted to see what was being said about the settlement. Make no mistake, Fox News is Bill O’Reilly. It will be interesting to see if they continue to make it in the wake of his departure. It is a shame for someone to proven guilty before the trial.

10. Dina Barker says:

Ratings are up because WE CAN’T BELIEVE THIS TRAVESTY AND ARE WATCHING TO HEAR BILL IS COMING BACK, NOT TO SEE THAT MINI LIBERAL JEB BUSH HORROR SHOW, PERINO, WHO BAGS MIDGET GUTFELD IN MOP CLOSETS…

11. Dave J says:

Of course, Fox ratings are going to rise since is says more about it’s core viewers than it does the viewers who do not tune in to Fox News at all.