Burt Ward, Seth Green, Julie Newmar Remember Adam West: ‘He Was Truly the Bright Knight’

Batman and Robin Adam West Burt
Courtesy of Fox

Burt Ward and Adam West worked together only for a few years on ABC’s “Batman,” but their friendship lasted a half-century.

Ward, who played Robin to West’s Batman on the 1966-68 series, said Saturday he was devastated by the passing of his friend and co-star, who died Friday of leukemia at 88. The two last saw each other about two weeks ago when they traveled to the East Coast together for an autograph show.

“I am devastated at the loss of one my very dearest friends,” Ward said in a statement. “Adam and I had a special friendship for more than 50 years. We shared some of the most fun times of our lives together. Our families have deep love and respect for each other. This is a terribly unexpected loss of my lifelong friend. I will forever miss him. There are several fine actors who have portrayed Batman in films. In my eyes, there was only one real Batman that is and always will be Adam West. He was truly the Bright Night.”

Related

Adam West Remembered on Social Media: ‘You Were MY Batman’

Seth Green worked with Ward as a voice actor on Fox’s “Family Guy,” on which West long voiced the unctuous Mayor Adam West character, and on Green’s Adult Swim animated comedy “Robot Chicken.”

“He was a true hero of mine — grew up watching him as Batman, and got the privilege of both working with and directing him,” Green said. “He’s generous and always classy. Very sad to think of the world without our beloved Mayor. How lucky we are he left so much behind.”

Julie Newmar, who co-starred with West and Ward as Catwoman on “Batman,” echoed Green’s sentiments.

“Stellar, exemplar, a king to the end,” Newmar said. “He was bright, witty and fun to work with. I will miss him in the physical world and savor him always in the world of imagination and creativity. He meant so much to people. A friend said: ‘The father that we wanted.’ That is a great gift, no matter how you live it.”

Adam West’s Life and Career in Photos

1. gin says:

no one could compare to Adam West in the original Batman role.The Batman films became dark, The original show was funny. not so in the films

2. Edward Clark says:

I grew up watching Batman, he was the greatest him and Burt Ward . A real super hero .

3. kelly roan says:

Kelly, Follow your heart Adam!!!! You Always Did. I Had the Priviledge to meet you once. from an Idahoan. Rest in Peace!!!! My Heart goes out to your family and friends!!!!

4. noel says:

Yes Adam West was our Batman not the new psychotic anti social crazy caped crusaders who have basically the same agenda now, not justice but using justice to kill. Farewell Adam you were indeed a gentle man and our Batman

5. Dave Hufton says:

Adam west will be missed. He was a great actor. Dave Hufton Davison ,mi.

6. gabe says:

i’ll miss him so much

7. LuaLua says:

The bright “knight” not night. Ugh!

8. JoeM says:

hopefully fans have enjoyed the video release of Return of the Caped Crusaders. West, Ward, and Newmar reprised their roles. A sequel was planned but I have no idea if their voices have been recorded. it would be a nice farewell

9. William Joshepson says:

Where you write: “Burt Ward said He was truly the Bright Night.”
    Burt Ward did not mean Bright Night, he meant Bright Knight (remember the other movie?? The Dark Knight ???) Please fix your article.
    Thanks

10. Ralph Spooner says:

I watched it growing up, born in 54, and my two sons watched it on TVLand reruns when they were growing up, between 84 and 90. They have a full length movie on VHS of Adam and Burt playing Batman and Robin, along with all the other villains they chased in the TV series. During my childhood the tongue-in-cheek dialog and acting went over my head, but was understood when I got older. RIP Adam “Batman” West. Once thing is for certain, you will live forever in re-runs but even more in the great memories and entertainment you brought us.

11. Quizás para muchos haya sido un parodia o un chiste de serie pero para los que crecimos amando esta serie a este personaje nos hace sentir una gran nostalgia y sierta pena de que el Sr. Adam West ya no este entre nosotros. Gracias por ser el Héroe que nos hizo crecer con sus aventuras y hacernos fans de Batman…hasta siempre

12. What a real true true individual Adam West will be missed. One of my all time favorite actors of all time. I remember as a kid racing home to watch this iconic show that without it’s brilliant cast including villains it would have made it as a classic to this day. To Adam’s Family my prayers go out to you. May God Rest His Soul thanks Batman for making it a joy to watch the show. You will be dearly missed. Even your villains such as Riddler (Frank Gorshin) Burgess Meredith (Penguin) Cesar Romero ( Joker) will be happy to see their caped crusader again.

• Ralph Spooner says:

Don’t forget all the great actresses who played Catwoman, Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether( in the 1966 movie adaptation, Eartha Kit in 1968,

13. sheryl reyes says:

RIP, one of my favorites! I’m going to miss you!

14. Eduardo Irigoyen says:

The new mayor of Quahog needs to be Burt Ward.

15. Sam says:

My favorite BATMAN! Rest in Peace Sir!

16. John Dearing says:

I grew up watching Batman in the 60’s pow! crash! bang! We are losing the rest of the great ones an that saddens me. I even had one of those pedal cars that was the batmobile. Holy Toledo Batman! The persnickety, persistent, pugnacious Penguin is at it again. Don’t worry Robin we’ll have him on ice in shot order. He will be missed. Rip hero of a generation.

17. SANDRA GREENWALD says:

I felt very sad to hear about Adam West’s passing. I first watched “Batman” when I was a kid in the 60’s and started to see the repeats recently on MeTV (NJ/NY station). Their friendship will always remind me of Shatner and Nimoy (Spock). RIP Adam West.

18. Max says:

Julie Newmar is a class act – her on camera chemistry with Adam is legendary – beautiful eulogy !

19. katrina says:

They may have got other guys but adam west was batman the dark knight adam west will be sorely missed

20. Merl Stanley says:

Sadded by the loss of Adam West as Batman he was my hero as a youngster watching him and Robin scream out of the Batcave nothing more cooler! HE is and will always be the only true Batman! RIP Dear Sir you will be sorely missed!

21. jksu2 says:

It was great growing up and watching him. Godspeed Batman! You were the only one and the greatest!

22. CJ says: