ABC Says Politics Played No Role in ‘Last Man Standing’ Cancellation

Last Man Standing
Courtesy of ABC

The ABC comedy “Last Man Standing” was canceled due to ABC’s decision to move away from comedy on Friday and not because of lead actor Tim Allen’s political leanings, ABC’s entertainment chief said after unveiling the Walt Disney network’s new programming schedule on Tuesday.

“‘Last Man Standing’ was a challenging one for me, because it was a steady performer,” said Channing Dungey, ABC Entertainment President. “Once we made the decision not to continue with comedy on Friday, it was just kind of that’s where we landed.” She made her remarks on a conference call with reporters.  ABC’s Friday lineup will be stacked with two one-hour super-hero dramas, “Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.” and “The Inhumans,” along with the news program “20/20.”

Dungey said she used the same criteria in considering the future of “Last Man Standing” as she did in examining what to do with other canceled series, like “The Catch,” “The Real O’Neals,” and “American Crime.” She also said studio ownership, future creative direction, ratings and viewer engagement were factors she considered in making her decision.

Conservatives have expressed disappointment in the show’s demise. Allen, who is Republican, has been a supporter of President Donald Trump and made jokes in talk-show appearances about the challenges of being a Republican in Hollywood. “Last Man Standing” was on the air for six seasons.

Also on Tuesday, days after the cancellation, Allen broke his silence on the news. “Stunned and blindsided by the network I called home for the last six years,” he wrote.

1. Debi says:

Abc lies. Of course the show was cancelled over politics. If you don’t fall in line with the liberals and their beliefs they have no room for your or your views. It’s sickening. I for one won’t ever tune in to abc. They only had 3 shows worth watching and now that they cancelled one of them, their 2 highest rated comedy and 3rd highest rated show over all I can’t be bothered with them. Liberal are the biggest bullies I’ve ever seen.

2. Kenny M Lord says:

I for one am tired of liberal policies dictating what I watch. I have banned ABC in my house. I hope others use their only way to let the lefty loons know how we feel as well.

3. Tom cash says:

This is an unacceptable attempt to censor ideas and continue to brainwash. The people better wake up. A black women made the decision. Wonder who she voted for? The excuses are so absurd. Please, we’re not as stupid as you hope we are.

4. Jason says:

Following in Hillary’s footsteps. Lying to try to save their own skin. However, those faithful viewers of Last Man Standing don’t buy it. A good conservative show on TV canceled, that’s not a coincidence that’s them pushing their own agenda and making sure people with opposing views are silenced. Its a shame that it makes them look bad and that they will lose many viewers.

5. Derek schmidt says:

I am very disappointed with this decision I have seen every episode more than o e and they never get old and always looked forward to seeing the new episode and now just disappointment that’s just too bad

6. Yvon says:

B S… I’m done with ABC….

7. Jame Watson says:

Not canceling because of liberal politics.GIVE ME A BREAK! It is other example of LIBERAL NETWORKS trying punish their conservative viewers. BYE BYE ABC!

8. Joanne Rusaw says:

the TV show is my favorite Last Man Standing and everybody wants to cancel if they need to put it back on and put new ones on there in season 1 2 & 3 all that is not

9. Aimee says:

I am done with the hypocrisy of the the non tolerant, anti-christian, demoralizing freak show on the left. ABC will not me missed on my house.

10. Gayle says:

Cancelling Last Man Standing is a big mistake for ABC. The logic they gave was a huge lie, it was purely political and the Liberals at ABC know it. When a person like Colbert gets a pass at what he said on his show is digusting, he needs to be cancelled among others!

• Hal says:

Christianity is part of the problem, along with the other beliefs in fairy tales like Muslims and in magical books like “the bible” and “the koran”. Makes more sense to believe in the easter bunny.

11. Sue says:

So why not move it to another night. Done with ABC they keep The View and cancel Last Man Standing? Insane

12. ABC sucks says:

Last man standing was about the only good show left on tv, now it’s cancelled. I’m not into politics but highly enjoyed the show polical remarks or jabs. It was about the only program that makes me laugh after a stressful week at work. ABC line up now…. SUPERHERO yuck!! I am NOT interested in superheroes or another crime show.

13. Heidi says:

I love this show. These guys are morons. It is totally because he is not a liberal. He is dead on. Hollywood is like Nazi Germany. Whatever happened to freedom of Speech? ABC is not what I will be watching.

14. Bob says:

Disney is the parent company of ABC. And Disney has their hand so deep in Donald Trumps pocket. ABC IS THE ONLY Network that Trumps will sit down face to face with. I’m sure that Trump had the AX in hand.

15. sue conner says:

tim allen is halarious and his show is one of the best there are plenty of shows on that i dont agee with certain life styles but i change the channel its not hard you dont like it dont watch it why do a few people control what the rest of us get to do

16. Dawn says:

Liberal Hitlerism ABC at its best…As with Hitler..liberals send a message do as I say and watch. No free speech or shows here.. Only what we allow.

17. Harmony says:

I am surprised that it lasted this long. It was not funny at all and the writhing was even worse. It felt like an old 90s sitcom. Maybe that’s the people who watched it as well.

18. Duane says:

Just what we need another super hero show. Last man standing is one of the few shows on tv that is worth the time. Well we bid a grateful goodbye the Tim and all the cast that made it a GREAT show to wait for each week. Duane

19. Beth CP says:

” “Last Man Standing” was a challenging one for me……..”. LOL! You keep telling yourself that Ms. Dungy.

20. Mike Frego says:

I wondered how long the corrupt media would allow free speech from Tim Allen. He is the only person that I was willing to put up with the commercials to watch. Now there is no one allowed to speak up for normal values in this country. I refuse to watch the news bash President Trump and I’m sure i not alone. This is a outrage, when the sponsors realize that people are not watching the big three and pull out their money, maybe we can get him back?

21. american says:

BULLSHIT…LYING POS LIB BASTARDS

22. Linda McGuinness says:

Bull crap Miss Dungy. What a loser ABC has become. You cancelled the other shows because they were lousy. Last Man Standing was a quality show with a brilliant cast. Let’s hope another network is smart enough to pick this one up.

23. Bye bye ABC. Not surprised the show was cancelled by a liberal ABC President. Lol here are her own words:
    “ABC’s slate of dramas — glitzy shows such as Designated Survivor, How to Get Away with Murder and Notorious — may not mirror real-life America sufficiently, according to one top network exec, who said the shock election of Donald Trump had caused the network to reconsider its output. Channing Dungey, president of ABC Entertainment, said that the rise of Trump and his white blue-collar support had forced execs at the network to question whether its programming was too focused on the upper echelons of U.S. society. Despite the critical analysis, Dungey did point to ABC’s comedy line-up as offering a better “balance” between those on different sides of the economic spectrum.” LOL

24. My whole family is disgusted with ABC. We love ,Last Man Standing and their ratings were great. It is all about politics and we all know it. You keep a trash show on like, The View, and cancelled a funny good show because Tim make jokes and reference to his political views??? Why?? ABC is getting to be a network of Loose Liberals more concerned about their own agenda than pleasing the TV audience !!! It was an ignorant decision and I hope you have the intelligence to reschedule this show and stop making the television industry a big political mess with a very one sided opinion .. It is very unprofessional !!!

25. Heidi Davies says:

ABC I am very disappointed on your decision to cancel this show. It was one of our families favorite show. Just because someone expresses their opinion in the country we live let me its called free speak. Your excuse is not about ratings on the how you really think we believe it’s over something more then that. this is just insane that u would do this. TOTAL BULLSHIT!!! i WILL NOT BE WATCHING ABC. I hope u decide to bring it back. UNTIL THEN GOODBYE ABC.

26. Glen McDade says:

ABC you make me SICK. Last Man Standing is the only sitcom I take time to watch and you liberals have to get your way or else. You have a great show with good morals and family values and you cancel it to run some kind of trash.

27. Debbee says:

ABC …Why would you cancel one of the best shows!!!! There is like nothing on Abc to watch any more so I quess abc is off my watch list!!!!

28. James says:

Way to go ABC. Do you have any idea what your viewers like or does it really matter to you. Last Man standing brought me to your network every week. Now while the ratings are still high it gets cancelled. If I made those kind of decisions in business my customers would get frustrated lose confidence, leave and I would be out of business. So goodbye ABC. I’m frustrated and I have no confidence in you.

29. Gee, all the right wingers are in pain over this. Why not soothe your hurt with some Dork Dynasty Reruns or The Duggar Family Perverts.

30. kylelyles says:

Surrrrrrrrre!
    I trust this statement as much as I trust the Hildebeest’s statements about her illegal private email server.

Remember that ABC/Disney fire Americans and replace them with H1B Visa holding Indians.

31. Bill says:

I will no longer watch ABC. And I had planed to visit Disney World this summer but will do all the other things while in FLA. ABC is going under just like the rest of the far left . Glad to see them go.

32. Sandra Matthews says:

If they are doing 2 hour long dramas (I see failure) what happens to Shark Tank? It’s hard to find good comedies on TV and this was one of the good ones. Sorry to see it go

33. Peter says:

“canceled due to ABC’s decision to move away from comedy”

Did they also cancel Modern Family, which is supposed to be a comedy? scheduling is an excuse
    #boycottABC

34. Susan says:

Canceling LMS defies conventional economic sense as it was a ratings winner for the network. Moving away from comedy seems to be in character for an organization who continues to perform poorly (ESPN). It makes my decision so much easier to “cut the cord” as decisions such as these only hasten the demise of this credible medium.

35. Dave says:

The canceling “Last Man Standing” was not too popular in our house. Everyone enjoyed “Last Man Standing”. Given the many options on TV now I will definitely steer away from ABC when I can

36. Kathy Blue says:

Stupid Move ABC..If you want to cancel a Friday night show..CANCEL the Toy show that you put in its place. That’s a AWFUL show. Thank Ellen DeGeneres again for her new show First Dates.

37. Cynthia Hern says:

It’s time for all of us to boycott ABC these liberals are insulting to a great funny show. WE need to stand together and put a hurt on ABC that’s not the only program I watch on ABC I can find other shows to watch If we acted together we can hurt these big know it alls. Lets show them we have a say to hurt them.

38. Janet Wallace says:

Sounds like a lot of hot air ABC. You may lose ratings over this one. You don’t cancel a popular show and a great show at that “because you don’t want to leave it on Friday nights” – what a load of crap. Your loss and hopefully some other outlet will pick this show up because it really is a funny great show.

39. Chuck A says:

Why not just move to a different day, then?

40. Rebecca A Crane says:

They saw no place for the comedy on Friday nights but just picked up Roseanne? Sounds like double talk to me. I’m pretty sure they could have moved the show to a different night. Where will Roseanne fit in….Drama?

41. Cynthia says:

Keep rolling out your trailers for your stupid new shows!!! I think there will be more people who DON’T care then people who do care…..you’re going to lose ALOT of viewers due to the major boycott, which was caused by your moronic decision to cancel last man standing!!! Have fun ABC, you will become the most hated network for trying to force your liberal ways onto others….we should not be forced to watch gay people making out on TV, then having to explain to our children why two men or two women are doing that!!! Not everyone is a liberal and thinks that is okay to broadcast on TV…..I have nothing against gays, but some things should just not be on TV, but behind closed doors!!!

42. Adele Harrison says:

I am watching all the episodes now of Last Man Standing. Didn’t know it was on before and certainly didn’t know it was so good. It actually gives the conservative view point on all the issues and the liberal view point, too, although when you put the two together makes liberals look like fools! I have recorded the series and every day I am excited to see the next set of episodes. Don’t usually watch sitcoms, and I can’t believe you took this funny, engaging show off the air – had to be political. Don’t you have enough liberal nonsense on TV?

43. robert cosenza says:

abc has cancelled last men standing,and says politicis played no role in it.we don,t beleive abc,and we as well as everyone we know won,t be watching abc any longer.and hope abc is the first station falling. go trump everyone we know including women has voted for you,and we are all with you mr trump 100%

44. Cynthia says:

You are so full of crap ABC !!! “Move away from comedy” on Friday night????? Seriously????? First off, people look forward to comedy after a long week, not drawn out drama!!! Secondly, of that is true, which it’s NOT, then move LMS tho a different night!!! You are just trying to cover your ass, shoo you don’t get sued!!! I see now, how pathetic ABC is…..

45. Tom Scalise says:

I will watch ABC when they bring back Last Man Standing. Until then I will be viewing another network.

46. ABC made a dumb, not informative decision. Why not move it to another comedy spot instead of cancel after 6 seasons

47. Tim says:

Bad move Dungey….bye, bye ABC.

48. Edward says:

Tim Allen ought to be deported back to his country.

49. JJJohnson says:

clearly lying.

50. Sheryl Goldstein says:

ABC Head of programming should be fired over discrimination. She clearly doesn’t like Republicans.