‘13 Reasons Why’ Renewed for a Second Season at Netflix

13 REASONS WHY
Courtesy of Netflix

Netflix’s watercooler hit “13 Reasons Why” will be back for a second season at Netflix, Variety has confirmed.

The first season of the series, based on the young adult novel of the same name, revolves around the suicide of a high school girl, Hannah, played by Katherine Langford. Dylan Minnette, Christian Navarro, Alisha Boe, Brandon Flynn, Justin Prentice, Miles Heizer, Brian d’Arcy James, and Kate Walsh also star. Season 2 will pick up in the aftermath of Hannah’s death and as the other characters’ start their complicated journeys toward healing and recovery.

The second season, which will again consist of 13 episodes, is set to debut on Netflix in 2018. Brian Yorkey will continue to serve as showrunner.

Related

13 Reasons Why renewed season 2

‘13 Reasons Why’: Canadian Schools Ban All Talk, Issue Warnings About Netflix Series

Although Netflix doesn’t release ratings, the series became the most tweeted about show of 2017.

Critics praised the series, including Variety‘s Maureen Ryan, who called ita suspenseful tale that will keep most [viewers] engaged until the final scene fades out.” But it also sparked controversy over its graphic depictions of suicide and sexual violence, leading Netflix to add content warnings to the episodes

Season 2 will be produced for Netflix by Paramount Television. The show is also executive produced by Selena Gomez, along with Mandy Teefey, Kristel Laiblin, Joy Gorman Wettels, Michael Sugar and Steve Golin.

1. Dalovelee says:

this is where greed overtakes art. This show was a well written plot line that was suspenseful even to the end. you can’t keep having the lead character return as a ghost voice..that actually spoils the show. Plus these same characters (and the actors) are too old. They’re 18 and would be in college. the plot of the jocks and cool kids can’t be repeated again..Just produce a new YA tv drama

2. Greg says:

Multiple seasons will only work via a totally new story and a total new cast being in each season. Season 2 could feature a male driven to commit suicide, be it one in his teens, 20s, 30s, or 40s. The lead character in each season, doesn’t have to be a teen.

• I would love that to be the case and it would really help the show to do so, but i think this show is just going to stick to its main audience of teenage girls/ongoing storyline.

• hsfiction says:

Not necessarily. There are a few unresolved issues from the first season that they could very easily move forward with. Such as Broc Turner, I mean, Bryce and the whole sports-stars and sexual assault issue. What happens with Justin? He’s homeless as far as I’m concerned, but that’s not enough, we need to know what happens with him. It’s great that Clay decided to reconnect with Skye, but was that enough to save her? Alex shot himself in the head, but it’s not known if he survived or not, there are issues surrounding surviving suicide attempts — something they could very easily showcase. There are heaps of storylines they need to develop, and of course, the lawsuit.

3. loco73 says:

Of course it has been renewed, now that it has become an international reason to freak out…become offended, scared and upset. Hey, while at it, why not ask Netflix to provide a “safe space” so that people can watch the show without getting “triggered”…

4. 35mm says:

I personally feel that the show didn’t really need a second season, as it would feel like it kind of makes the first season feel less impactful from a story telling point of view.

I can see how having a second season gives the chance for us to see how all of the characters change going forward from Hannah’s death and all of the consequences they all face for having treated Hannah how they did, but it just seems like the story was told in the first season and the ending leaves it vague for what the future holds for everyone and I think that’s a more powerful way of concluding the story.

Nevertheless, I will still watch it. Not trying to say the show is bad or anything.

5. warriorrabbit says:

I agree with the commenter who wonders about the wisdom of a second season. Perhaps a one-off was best. The creative narrative structure and tension will be lost, and I wonder how they could make a second season as interesting.

The commenter who thinks the show is glorifying suicide clearly didn’t watch even a single episode.

6. raj says:

the subject touched by this series was important and common however as a show it was not good actually barely average but as always we are emotional and netflix again seize the moment and renew another show

7. Adam says:

Why did you spoil the first season ending in the beginning of your article, not everyone have seen it;
    this is unacceptable, Whatever happened to being professionals Variety staff?????

• Adam says:

Yep, I learned that when I asked a friend who’s already seen it. I apologize and take that comment back. It just that the article says “it picks off after..” Which sound to me like a finale spoiler. I guess not; looking forward to checking it out.

• Sparbuck says:

Well why haven’t you seen it yet if you are that bothered? Considering you didn’t even realise that her committing suicide isn’t actually a spoiler at all, you are just trolling.

• eddie willers says:

Are you trying to be funny? The very first thing you learn in the series is that a young girl committed suicide. Then 13 episodes to show to determine why.

8. As someone who has attempted suicide a few times during my high school years, I do not think this series glorifies suicide. I personally think it helps others, especially teens, to think twice before they say or do things. They don’t know the affect their words can have on someone.

I also think a lot of adults can benefit from this series. Not only does it help you to see warning signs in your own children or loved ones. But, it also teaches us that we need to be kind to others. Sadly, as an adult, I see just as many adults being bullies as I do with kids. And sadly, the adults don’t just bully other adults. They often times bully children as well.

9. May Adams says:

A terrible show that glorifies suicide! You should be ashamed of ourself. Suicide is an epidemic among
    teens. You should encourage children who have been bullied to make a success of their life which
    is the sweetest revenge.

• I have to disagree. As someone who’s been a teen struggling with depression and suicide attempts, I think this show is important. It’s important for people to understand what to look for and for people to understand that the things they say and do can have an affect on others.

I personally think people are afraid of this show because they don’t want to believe that any of it could really happen. Sadly, it happens every day. And we can’t ignore it.

• Sparbuck says:

Eh? I was absolutely heartbroken and sobbing by the end of it. Only someone with no empathy could think it is a glorification.

• JacksonM says:

You obviously didn’t watch the show. I never understand why r-tards feel qualified to comment on a show they didn’t watch.

• hsfiction says:

You should watch the show. You’ll see exactly how it doesn’t glorify it, but rather bring the issue out into the open and show that suicide is final, there’s no coming back from it. 13 reasons why did that perfectly.

• @tipsmxm says:

Are you joking? What part of the show glorifies suicide?

Absolutely ridiculous comment, another person that has tried to read between the lines.

To put it simply, you’re wrong.

• James Joyce says:

I am pretty sure that you don’t know what glorifies means… just as I am pretty sure you don’t know what an epidemic is… and I am pretty sure the best advice for kids being bullied is not to suck it up and succeed.
      So – that would be 0 for 3

• May Adams says:

Ashamed of yourself, not ourself. typo. :(

10. Jimmy says:

As much as I liked the first season this really feels like a show better left alone. The gimmick (if I can call it that) of the narrative told by the ‘dead girl’ through cassettes, keeping tension between the effect of past in the present and the cause.
    Having a conventional narrative style will automatically, in contrast, be a let down. Can’t see this season being as effective. Heading into it very cautiously.

11. Scheduler says:

Is it really a “water cooler” hit? Really? The asskissery of Netflix is off the charts. People talk about Trump at the water cooler (or Alec Baldwin’s portrayal). A tiny minority talk about how as women they can’t watch the Handmaid’s Tale. Months back Stranger Things had water cooler buzz. 13 Reasons? Not so much.

Frontier is an utter turd and embarrassment by the way and Last Kingdom is Vikings on quaaludes as reimagined by the BBC. The El Chapo show is grade z garbage on a shoe string budget.

The Crown is amazing however.

• JacksonM says:

How do you know what people in my city talk about? Or do you feel the whole world is the same as you and your friends? Either your incredibly elitist or incredibly r-tarded.

• Jimmy says:

Maybe not “water cooler” talk but the modern version, “social media buzz”. I think it was Netflix’s highest trending show or something like that on Twitter ??

• Claire says:

Pretty Little Liars amassed the same number of tweets in a month last year. So if there’s any correlation between tweets and viewership, Netflix has a Pretty Little Liars level hit.