Soundgarden Singer Chris Cornell’s Death Ruled a Suicide

Chris CornellChris Cornell in concert, Stockholm,
IBL/REX/Shutterstock

UPDATED: The death of Soundgarden singer Chris Cornell has been ruled a suicide by hanging, the Wayne County Medical Examiner’s Office said in a statement on Thursday.

“The Medical Examiner has completed the autopsy on 52-year-old Chris Cornell, the Soundgarden musician who died last night in Detroit,” read the statement on its Facebook page. “The cause of death has been determined as suicide by hanging. A full autopsy report has not yet been completed. There is no additional information at this time.”

Earlier on Thursday, a representative for the Detroit Police told Variety that the death was being investigated as a suicide, although he emphasized that it was too early to make a definitive conclusion at the time.

“At 12 a.m. [local time], we received a 911 call from the MGM Grand Casino Hotel,” Detroit Police director of media relations told Variety. “It appears as though a family friend was checking up on Cornell at his wife’s request. He went to hotel and discovered him unresponsive on the bathroom floor. Police made the location with EMS, and he was pronounced dead at the scene.

Related

Celebrities Who Died in 2017

“At present our investigation is leaning toward the possibility of suicide, but we must wait for a medical report to determine the cause of death. At this time we cannot release too much information about what we observed in Cornell’s hotel room or what led us to this conclusion.”

Woody could not confirm media reports that Cornell had died of strangulation, although a different representative for the police told Variety that the singer was found with a “band” around his neck.

Related

Chris CornellFort Rock Music Festival, Fort Myers, USA - 30 Apr 2017

Soundgarden’s Chris Cornell Mourned by Music World: ‘A Great Talent’

Cornell had performed with Soundgarden at Detroit’s Fox Theatre on Wednesday night, and local television reports say he was cheerful and animated during and after the performance.

A rep for the singer issued the following statement in the early hours of May 18: “Chris Cornell passed away late Wednesday night in Detroit, MI. His wife Vicky and family were shocked to learn of his sudden and unexpected passing, and they will be working closely with the medical examiner to determine the cause. They would like to thank his fans for their continuous love and loyalty and ask that their privacy be respected at this time.”

Marketplace

1. John Monahan says:

Short of being a sex offender or pedophile suicide just sucks! It leaves a know in my stomach. Such a waste. I expected to see a lot of shit on here about him being found on the floor so how could it have been a hanging. I have been to a couple hanging suicides and some have been found on the floor with a broken belt near them or a broken pipe they hung themselves from. Suicide leaves so many unanswered questions and trauma for loved ones. It’s disturbing that his wife asked someone to check on him. And being animated and happy on stage means something. Many times when someone decides they are going to commit suicide they are often said to have been upbeat and happy beforehand apparently because they have decided to do it and are relieved in a twisted way.

RIP man!

2. Loretta Rady says:

I truly have fell on black days!

3. heyitsron says:

If Chris’ loved ones and he had a wife had forced him to go into alcohol rehab to dry out and live again, Chris would still be alive today. I can’t believe those who sit back and allow a loved one with issues continue with those issues and do nothing. This is beyond dumb.

• The Truth says:

What an asshole comment. You don’t know shit about Cornell’s family and loved ones or his issues.

4. Ahsoka says:

Suicide? I cant believe it. If this is really true, I feel so sorry for him. He was a great talent.

RIP Chris. I hope you are at peace now.

5. His voice changed my life. I am extremely sad to have lost another GIANT from my generation, Chris Cornell. Ultra Mega Ok primed me for the the epic Louder Than Love. Once I heard their evolution it was easy to graduate from hardcore and punk rock to my generation’s Led Zeppelin.

6. Sandy Torres says:

Such a loss I interviewed him in 91 for Badmotorfinger he was soft spoken, kind, intelligent-we will miss him very much! Condolences to his friends and family 💔

7. Lorelei says:

I am absolutely devastated at the news of Chris Cornell’s passing. He is by far one of the most talented vocalists of this genre and he will be greatly missed. RIP, Spoonman…there will never be another you!!!!

8. Chuck Dearduff says:

Woke up to the news of his death this morning. Soundgarden has gotten me through some tough times for certain, and has helped me keep my cheer up on those days that I didn’t need that pick me up.

RIP Chris Cornell, you were a huge part of so many of our lives, and you will be missed.

9. Lennie Wolf says:

For those of us who grew up to the Seattle scene and absolutely engrossed ourselves in the music that was coming out of there in the late eighties early nineties, Chris Cornell is by far one of the biggest artists in my opinion along with Layne Staley, (r.i.p.), Eddie Vedder, Kurt Cobain, (r.i.p.) the list goes on and on on. This music generation has gotten me through some very bad times in my life and I am just overwhelmed with grief to hear that an artist of his stature is no longer with us although I absolutely believe and I know he is with us in spirit because of the music that I will continue to play for the rest of my life that these have given us. An incredible artist and an incredible person to his fans is undoubtedly going to be missed Forever Until We meet on the other side. I pray for the family to have peace somehow in this tragic day that I will remember forever. God bless Chris Cornell , for he was and will always be, to myself and so many others one of the greatests. I hope whatever was troubling him will be comforted in the light of Our Lord Jesus Christ. God bless his family as well.

10. DICK says:

R.I.P. SPOON MAN

11. Kevin Cook says:

i just saw this guy live sunday night in kansas city at star light……i am completely devastated at work now…..

More Music News from Variety