Lil Wayne Hospitalized After Suffering Seizure

Lil Wayne Lawsuit
Alex/Variety/REX/Shutterstock

UPDATED 9/4: Rapper Lil Wayne has reportedly been hospitalized in Chicago after suffering an epileptic seizure. According to TMZ, Wayne (real name: Dwayne Michael Carter, Jr.) was found unconscious in his Westin Hotel room on Sunday afternoon (Sept. 3). He was taken to Northwestern Hospital where he experienced another seizure.

On Monday, a rep for the Chicago Fire Department confirmed the hospitalization to the Chicago Tribune, and a rep for the hospital said that according to a patient directory, Carter was not at the facility as of Monday morning.

Wayne’s daughter, Reginae Carter, tweeted an update on Monday. “My dad is doing fine everyone! Thanks for the concerns. You guys are amazing,” she wrote, adding, “Oh yeah … and don’t believe everything you hear.”

Wayne, who is currently on tour with Rae Sremmurd, was scheduled to perform at Drai’s Nightclub in Las Vegas on Sept. 3. The club posted an announcement late Sunday that “Lil Wayne will be canceling his previously scheduled performance” there.

The venue said T.I. will be performing in his place, along with DJ Franzen.

“Our priority is the health and well-being of our artists,” the post reads. “Everyone at Drai’s wishes Lil Wayne a speedy recovery during this time.”

The New Orleans rapper has long suffered from the neurological disorder and has been hospitalized several times in recent years, including a six-day stay in 2013, and following an incident on a cross-country flight in 2016.

Following the health scare in 2013, Wayne opened up about living with epilepsy in an interview with the L.A. radio station Power 106.

“This isn’t my first, second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh seizure. I’ve had a bunch of seizures, y’all just never hear about them,” he said at the time.

Variety has reached out to a Wayne rep for comment.

Marketplace

1. It’s common knowledge he uses “lean” and that this concoction is suspected to increase the frequency of epileptic seizures. Another celebrity bucking for the obituary column with opiates. How cliché. And how really dumb when he could live a long life as a wealthy man.

2. nursesnotions says:

As a nurse and someone with diagnosed with epilepsy it’s not surprising to see the ignorant and uneducated comments from people CLAIMING to know how his epilepsy came about. The fact of the matter is WE HAVE NO IDEA. He may know, but we don’t. You don’t know what type of seizures he has been having and when he was even diagnosed. His seizures could be a result of idiopathic origin (unknown) cause and yes the doctors are smart enough to consider drugs and alcohol. Just because he drinks doesn’t mean he doesn’t have epilepsy or he’s doing it to himself. It means that’s a trigger for him, something that may provoke a seizure. However, you don’t know what he’s doing or what’s happening and therefore you have no right to judge or crucify him. Over half of you can’t even imagine what it’s like to have a seizure. The way I can try to describe it to better help your understand is imagine being fine one minute and the next minute waking up confused, not knowing where you are, sometimes who you are, and you may be vomiting or your head feels like it’s going to explode and you can’t even walk in a straight line. After someone sees you like that people are quick to make assumptions that you’re drunk of on drugs, but they don’t know. Put your judgments aside, because you don’t know. Stop being such cruel, disgusting individuals with low self esteem and take a look at your own life being judging someone else’s. I’m sure if you took the time to do that then the world would be a much better place.

3. Italian Queen says:

Some of these comments are from evil people, why is it when it’s a black rapper , that’s what he gets for doing drugs but if it was a white rocker whose lyrics are much more dark & they die from an overdose everyone has so much sympathy when their music promotes suicide & just pure evil. Such ignorance. Prayers always. Epilepsy is a medical condition. Probably a bunch of white trailer trash who smoke & drink anyway.

• nursesnotions says:

Italian Queen, I have epilepsy and as a white women with epilepsy it’s really just the stigma surround epilepsy. People make assumptions because they are ignorant when it comes to epilepsy.

4. shaquiqui says:

phew that was close

5. LaTasha Simpson says:

Get Well Soon

6. LaTasha Simpson says:

Glad to know u r doing well. Your health is first and foremore important than doing a show. We.the true fans,will always b waiting patiently for your complete healthy recovery. Regina’ keep him n chk and n good spirits. Get Well Soon!

7. I’m glad that Lil Wayne is OK.

8. Joy Williams says:

Glad you doing good still praying for a great recovery. Love you ill wayne

9. Weezy Baby….get well soon. We love you in the STL!

10. Liasher coleen says:

Get well soon…lil wayne

11. John Cinquemani says:

We will remember this gentle and kind personality!

12. TAMARA says:

Im repling to Mr.Carters Health! !!!
      He needs a CTscan of his BRAIN!!!!!!
      If they had it done , DO IT AGAIN. …
      IF YOY DONT BELIEME ME , ask him yourself I BET YOU LAST YEAR HE HAD AN EXPERIENCE HE CANT EXPLAIN….?

13. L.Hawkins says:

Praying for his strength and healing!!!

14. e.bunker says:

Mr.Wayne needs to take a break 4 bit, start taking meds,fans love him,,ruin career,spend time take care self .Go to neurologist, no guarantee weed going to cure epilepsy, try toe twitching.

15. Samuel says:

That’s what he gets. And if he continues to spread his corrupt musical trash all over the place, who knows? Maybe something worse will happen to him.

• Kat says:

@Samuel your a hater and why think his music is trash yes that’s your opinion but y’all mother fuckers wanting to be racist ain’t helping shit either grow up get a life and worry about your own self! Stupid piece of shit people low life bitches!

16. Scottie B. says:

Someone needs to lay off the sizzurp

17. William Gordon says:

Wether you like him or not is irrelevant! He’s human, we’re all human! God loves us all! Especially in these times, we need to stick together. No I don’t listen to the guy, but if someone is hurt I’m gonna do my best to help! As Americans we have a duty to each other to keep our nation strong and undivided. These sickos who only press their sick agendas only rip apart the very fabric that made this great nation. No America is not perfect, but WE ALL KNOW RIGHT FROM WRONG! AMERICA THE GREAT MELTING POT! LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT! DON’T BE A PART OF THE PROBLEM, BE A PART OF THE SOLUTION! GOD BLESS US ALL! MAY THESE TIMES SOFTEN ARE HEART’S TO ONE ANOTHER. NEVER JUDGE A BOOK BY IT’S COVER, IT MAY SAVE YOUR LIFE! LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS SHOULD MEAN SOMETHING TO US ALL!
      SO GODSPEED MR WAYNE, BE WELL!

18. Joe says:

Who gives a fuck!!! Way more serious issues then this dumb ass nigger!

• Kat says:

Your a piece of fucking shit too @joe only one judges and seems to me you have a mouth on you like ole Samuel but why don’t y’all keep your comments to yourself if you don’t like Wayne get the FUCK OFF HIS SHIT AND GO FUCK EACH OTHER

• Bludtoke Swagga says:

send me your address racist piece of shit. I know you wont cause youre a pussy bitch but I swear if you have the balls to send me it I will pull up and put a bullet in every last one of your loved ones head and I will force you to watch as I dismember each and every one of their bodies.

• Bludtoke Swagga says:

Funny how you reveal your true racist colors. I’m actually a white male and I too live in a gated community, but God will judge us all in the end, so pray that he has mercy and sympathy for the hate that lives in your black heart.

• Jay says:

Really bro. You ever heard of terroristic threat l. Yea it’s felony stop moving backwards and move your self foward. Don’t listen to stupid ass comments and better yet don’t make stupid ass comments that can get you locked up or killed. And just remember your not the only motherfucker with a gun either.

• Huh? says:

They won’t allow your kind in my gated community hahahahahaha

• Hood star says:

No you won’t you dumb nigger. Keep moving crack you loser.

• Bud says:

Dr. King would be proud

19. Mark says:

To bad the little thug lived !!

20. Nicole Michelle Lyons says:

I luv Lil Wayne speedy recovery ,this is very serious get well soon ,WEEZY

21. Patricia A Gearheart says:

My 16yr old suffers from Frontal epileptic seizures it’s scary he’s had a recent MRI waiting on results to see if neurologist to can find out what is causing his seizures.

• Bud says:

I’ve had a few. They suck. When it’s happening, it’s like sticking your finger in a plug socket. You then pass out from lack of oxygen, as you can’t breathe. I wouldn’t wish one on anybody.

22. Im not a Rap music fan at all. Yuk !! Classic rock is the best…R& B. And Soul..all young people should listen to it . …Blues rock. .Early Rolling Stones. .Chuck Berry. John Mayall. The Animals. Etc. Still important 50+ years later

23. Jennie Toles says:

My prayers for a speedy recovery . I also would like you to read a book called; “what the doctors dont want you to know ” Kevin Treadou . I love your music, so im gonna need for you to take care of yourself young man.#Be Blessed

24. Fayimah McCoy says:

Dear mr. Wayne I hope that you take care of yourself and you feel better very soon I really like your rap music except the one with the profanity sometimes I just act like I don’t hear you using those words because you are so cool to me take care of yourself I hope you feel better very very very soon God bless you and yours love alwayzzz mommom….

• Stacey Nelson says:

You shouldn’t believe Kevin Treadau Google him he’s a fake and got into trouble with scams. Just wanted you to know

25. Cindy stodolski says:

Is he diabetic

26. Brad smith says:

Thats wat happens when u abuse drugs for alot of ur life.thats called self afflicted abuse to your self

27. miamifloridasexy305 says:

MY HEART GOES OUT FOR LIL WAYNE I KNOW HOW IT IS WHEN YOU HAVE SEIZURES BECAUSE I HAVE HAD SOME THE FIRST ONE WHEN I WAS IN WINN DIXIE WITH MY DAD AND I HAD A BAD ONE I SCARE SO MANY PEOPLE AND THE OTHER WHEN I WAS IN SAVANNAH AT MY SON HOUSE MY FIVE YEARS OLD GRANDSONS CALL 911 AND THEN RAN IN THE ROOM TO GET HIS MOM AND DAD I JUST LOVE MY GRANDSON HE SAVE MY LIFE SO I KNOW HOW LIL WAYNE FEEL I PRAY THAT HE GET BETTER MIAMI IN THE HOUSE.

28. Johnlafferty says:

I an a 32 year old white cracker. But all u other dumb add crackers should shut the fuck up with your stupidity. Black power super Panthers 4 life.

29. Epileptic girl says:

I hope you get better. Stay strong and fight back!! Everyone that wants to show support the purple ribbon is for epilepsy.. my sons a big fan of yours and he supports the epilepsy fight he will have all his friends wearing purple to show the fight for you!

30. Epileptic girl says:

Ok some people can be jerks!! I don’t like rap I am a country music girl. But music color and money habe nothing to do with seizures!! I have epilepsy and wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy!! Nobody knows if drugs or alcohol brought them on don’t judge like that!! I don’t drink or take drugs so what causes mine?? That would be a disorder irregular brain activities… and if he is epileptic like myself then they have done drug test and eeg testing and everything else to prove he has a disorder… so grow up a little bit!!

31. Jae Starr says:

God bless and may he be with him… he is one of the greatest rappers and will always be. #jaestarr#streetjungle…

32. Eddie Windham says:

Praying for you bruh take care of yourself money isnt everything and it cant fix everything Only JESUS can!!

33. KREePyKiDD says:

So with this PR he must be trying to promote a new album.

34. Linda Benton says:

Me and my Family pray for you,get well soon. The Benton Family

35. Jj says:

So his album or new single drops next week?

36. Heather says:

He needs to lay off the “lean” dummy.. wtf you think gonna happen after years of abusing your body. BIG DUMMY.. or should I say “Lil’ Dummy”

37. Ryan perry says:

Codeine abuse for long periods of time causes seizures. That’s his own damn fault if he wants to keep messing with that purple drank. And whoever called this guy a legend smack your Fucking self

38. Jasmine says:

Hope u get better soon it’s sad that people have talk crap about some one else if u can’t say anything nice then why post anything at all.

39. Razvan Popescu says:

he needs to start ketogenic diet. low carb fixes epilepsy

40. Hopefully lil wayne will take it easy. Chicago to Vegas a long trip. Get well soon!

41. Emmalee says:

Get better Lil Wayne. You can do this. I’m praying for a speedy strong recovery.

42. Emmalee says:

I have seizures to I know what its like it is not fun.

43. MEGATRON says:

HOPE U GET BETTER. Cannabis oil might help.

44. Nab TP says:

my son has seizures since birth.. but he is on two different types of meds.. I remember him going into one seizure then here comes another one.. since hes been on meds hes doing much better.. cut the stress down lil wayne and money isnt everything.. your health comes first.. take some time for yourself..

45. James money says:

What a dumb nigger. Probably OD’d on KFC and nigger drank. He looks like a worm with braids. Hope you get better soon mane.

46. Eric James says:

What a stupid spook. It’s a miracle he isn’t dead yet from the amount of drugs that dumb n***** has been shoveling down his pie hole. Get better brotha.

47. DJ says:

Too much purple drank I guess. Good riddance.

48. Annette Ventura says:

Praying for a speedy recovery.

49. Brenda Simpson says:

Best wishes for a speedy recovery my

50. Xolo says: