Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young Could Reunite — Because They Hate Trump More Than Each Other

Crosby Stills Nash and Young
Ray Stevenson/REX/Shutterstock

Musician Graham Nash has been very vocal in the last two years about his anger with bandmate David Crosby over a series of personal clashes, so much so that fans of 1960s supergroup Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young had all but given up hope of a reunion. However, Nash now says that an even greater disdain for President Donald Trump and the current administration could change that.

“Here’s how I feel about it: I believe that the issues that are keeping us apart pale in comparison to the good that we can do if we get out there and start talking about what’s happening,” Nash says of a possible CSNY reunion. “So I’d be totally up for it even though I’m not talking to David and neither is Neil. But I think that we’re smart people in the end and I think we realize the good that we can do.”

Indeed, the group known for such politically provocative songs as “Ohio” (a response to the 1970 shootings of students protesting the Vietnam War at Kent State University) and, more recently, “Almost Gone (The Ballad of Bradley Manning)” (addressing U.S. soldier  Chelsea Manning’s trial for espionage in 2013), have long been a powerful voice for change in popular culture.

Nash had previously ruled out any reunion, making his feud with his longtime bandmate very public. In a 2016 interview with Dutch magazine Lust For Life, Nash said Crosby “has been just f—ing awful,” adding, “I’ve been there and saved his f—ing ass for 45 years, and he treated me like shit. … David has ripped the heart out of Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young.”

But Nash, who released an acclaimed solo album, “This Path Tonight,” last year, will do whatever it takes to fight the Trump administration. And after decades of activism, the 75-year-old offers some tips on how musicians and activists can sustain their strength for the next four years.

“You have to keep up your will to fight,” he says. “You have to research your subject matter so that when people ask you about them you have good answers, true answers, you need to feel something before you create something like a song that could change the world, you have to remain really vigilant and strong. We cannot let this man undermine everything we have fought for over the last 30 years, which is what’s happening by the way. You couldn’t possibly write this script and have it accepted in Hollywood, they would laugh you out of the office. ‘Then this guy becomes president and did what?’ It’s a crazy story.”

The prolific Nash emphasizes that artists should be active politically, no matter the career demands. “I spent the last 14 years making 16 CDs,” he says. “I did my box set of three, I did Crosby’s box set of three, I did Stephen [Stills’] box set of four, the CSNY 1974 stadium tour box set is four discs, and demos with recordings of CSN. I’ve been a very busy boy, you cannot get depressed and you can’t act when you’re depressed. It’s hard to stay positive, but that’s what we must remain, positive and alive.”

He is also uplifted by younger artists like the Lumineers, X Ambassadors, Zedd and more who have held benefits in recent months for Planned Parenthood and the ACLU. To Nash, who was a vocal supporter of Bernie Sanders’ presidential bid, it is essential that the new generation of musicians become activists as well.

“We need the younger generation,” he says. “People like me, Jackson [Browne] and Bonnie [Raitt], we’ve been doing benefits for 40 years and we need the younger generation, particularly people like Lady Gaga, with what’s she got, 80 million people following her on Instagram or Facebook? We need those people that have incredible followings to be able to take a stand and bring information to their followers.”

In addition to being a songwriter and Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee (with CSN in 1997 and as a member of The Hollies in 2010), the England-born Nash is also a photographer and is currently showcasing his art — of such friends as Joni Mitchell, Stephen Stills and, yes, Crosby — at the NAMM (National Association of Music Merchandisers) Museum Of Making Music in Carlsbad, Calif.

Marketplace

1. Robert Jones says:

I’m a 50-yr old fan who’s enjoyed CSN’s music for a very long time. That said, I think Nash grossly overestimates the amount of influence a group of old hippies are going to have over the current state of affairs in this country. The people who put Trump in office will not likely be at a CSN concert and those who are there will be there for the music, not politics. If these guys can stop squabbling and reunite for the good of the music, that’s great. If they think that getting back together is going to change the direction of the country, they really need to rein in their egos and understand that it’s not 1969 anymore.

2. Meg Aurelio says:

OMG, that would be the best thing to happen to this country since Trump was voted into office. He doesn’t care about anyone but himself and any father that speaks about his daughter in the manner that he did is nothing but a pervert. We need to hear some good old rock and roll that speaks messages like CSNY write and perform. If it were the only concert I could afford so be it. I’m there. Please come back!! I’ve been waiting too long for this!!!!!

3. Paul Rosko says:

Another reunion tour? Not for me. They stink and have for about 30 years.

4. Wilbill says:

CSN (y) make music that moved(s) my soul. Though I remain confused…a bunch of guys who spent their youth standing up against the “man,” with reason, now seem anxious to let the “man” run every aspect of their life, i.e. Hillary. We all need to look at actions not rhetoric. Peace bro. wb

5. Oh but when the tickets come out you’ll pick up a few believe me I saw the last 3 csny reunions watching young and stills stand toe to toe trading guitar riffs was worth every penny and Crosbys latest album is a masterpiece you all knew they were political quit acting uninformed.

6. Simon Champion says:

Graham Nash is fantasising if he considers a CSNY reunion would have any impact whatsoever. It’s even more of a fantasy given that the “Woodstock/change the world” generation is precisely the same as the baby boomer generation which gave us the past thirty years of glolbalisation, neo-liberalism arid greed. As for the “younger generation” weighing in on the side of the “righteous”, forget it. Can you imagine a dopey connard like Justin Bieber doing a Concert for Bangladesh? Or Nicky Minaj twerking for Obamacare? Get a fecking grip!

7. L Allen says:

Ignore the brain-washed ignorance of the Trumptards and Fox News zombies. Obviously they live in a world of hate and selfishness and they are ok with that. They don’t give 2 sh*ts about the struggle of everyday people as long as they are living fat and drinking with the boys in the trailer park on Friday nights. Music has always been a driving force for change and it doesn’t matter HOW old you are as long as you still have that fire within you. Hurray for being a beacon of light in a time of darkness and corruption against our great country. I hope these traitors to our nation realize what a mistake they are making by backing the Orange Clown.

8. Scott Snellen says:

Well they won’t have to work at writing songs really. They can just take a yahoo article and set it to music

9. I still enjoy their music after all these years. Thankfully their wacky political commentary has no effect on anyone and I tune it out.

10. Phil T. says:

I couldn’t care less what these irrelevant, America-hating burned out old hippies think.

They had some good music but sadly, their hate overshadowed it.

11. Hey Nash, Crosby publicly apologized and said that he was way off base talking about your wife. So, accept his humble apology and move on. You have made it clear that you HATE Crosby, but are willing to perform (with many rehearsals) with Crosby , because you HATE Trumb more. ?? All you’re doing is adding one HATE on top of another. And you want to perform musically to change the country??? How about finding a little humility and turn HATE into LOVE. Isn’t that what the sixties was all about, LOVE? I’m almost your age, and I was there in the sixties/seventies, and I think I learnt a lot over the decades, but you clearly haven’t. Go build your coffin, it won’t be long before you’ll be needing it.

12. I once love your music (“Cathedral” for me belongs to the top 20 best crafted song of all time), but lmfao at this irrelevant senile musicians and their drug-fried fishbrains, whose egos are as big as f’n Gibraltar! Stay retired mofos, the world is no longer as gullible as your drug-gulching wild-eyed generation, nor does it need your obsolescent take of the present world!

And it’s not Trump that motivates you to band again, its your humongous and insatiable lust for attention and money as you are all fading into the sunset of social irrelevance. C’mon there’s no shame to admit it Mr. Nash! ;P

13. Oneirishman says:

Great, I’ll wear my Trump shirt and MAGA hat!

14. Mad Dubose says:

Too many drugs rots your brain. Exhibit A, CSN&Y. There’s no embittered, has-been, like an old, out-of-touch hippie lefty.

15. Andrew says:

They haven’t learned much from the 60’s. I guess maintaining a defunct ideological perspective is much more important to their professional persona than truth.

16. DaPower says:

Like your music Graham, but you better be prepared to be “vigilant” for 8 years! Not 4, as Trump isn’t going anywhere anytime soon!

17. mkn1948 says:

I’m in, post the tour dates, I’ll be there.

18. Marie Rose says:

This isn’t really a good thing for America at all if you think about it. What other country has done this to their freely elected leader publicly since the Civil War? The atmosphere of incivility from both sides in this country over politics is appalling. But I bet they’d sell a lot of tickets.

19. Rebecca says:

love to hear their music but hate politics embedded in the music. Let the music do the talking.

• punkfunk13 says:

Lol. Almost all of CSN&Y’s music is embedded with politics. I don’t know how you could like their music and feel offended by the politics tbh.

• d says:

Almost ALL embedded with politics.
          Some maybe but ALL?
          Carry On?
          Country Girl?
          Night Song?
          Deja Vu?
          4+20?
          That Girl?
          So many more NOT embedded with politics..

20. ImaHippyBurning says:

The Hippy Movement is what brought about America’s “Degenerate Generation” and “Cultural Rot” with their total disrespect for their fellow Americans while they themselves sold their souls at every turn! Love their music but hate hate hate their politics and blatant hypocrisy! No Thanks I’ll sit this Geriatric Tour Out this time!

21. HeywoodJablowme says:

They can call themselves the Geriatric Giggolo’s, on a weekend pass from the old folks home. Nobody cares what they have to say except some old leftover hippies from the 60’s who still refuse to grow up. Crosby’s old liver can play tamborine.

22. Sir Johnny Buttcracke III Esq. says:

Those old farts could not stay awake for an entire show. Which is merciful for everyone concerned not the least of which would be fans of good music.

23. william johnnes says:

I so agree with Nash. Musicians and other artists who have huge followings have huge influence I feel that there is a revolution coming and you guys can really help to make it happen.

24. FarePlay says:

Wooden Ships, the apocalypse.

25. gary baumann says:

mam im all for seeing you guys love the songs but above all love the electric sound of legends stills young..garcias gone but these guys legends.still with us..please tour we need to resist trump..and inspire the youth…theres something happening here!!!what it is ..is perfectly clear RESIST!!!

26. Mick DeLeon says:

It’s great that Nash is willing to bury the hatchet in someone else’s head (other than Crosby’s), seeing the political powerhouse-potential of a CSN/CSNY reunion. But is he an American citizen? Is Neil Young? It doesn’t matter to fans such as myself, but this is the kind of Administration that’d be happy to crack down on dissenting “outsiders”, even more than Nixon did with John Lennon. He’s in a political climate that still has bedspace at Guantanamo.

27. “The first one was for the art and music
      Second one for the chicks.This ones for the cash” Stephen Stills about 74 reunion tour

28. Tina says:

I last saw CSN&Y live at the Atlantic City Racetrack in 1974. Santana opened for them; and the entire concert was magnificent. David Crosby needs to get his shit together so these four geniuses can reunite and “Teach The Children” again: how to “Find the Cost of Freedom”.

29. beedeebeedee says:

Quit being big babies about it and find some forgiveness in your hearts and minds.

30. …being of the same generation I fully wish they/we need to take take positions against that madman

31. Your HATE for someone, your non acceptance of what millions of Americas voted for can bring you has beens together to try and do what? Raise and waste more money on your propaganda BS! Loved you once upon a time. Your voices on the subject are not all that welcomed. I’m sure your left over lib hippie friends would be very happy to hear this, but its just really sad actually.

32. Stevie Markovich says:

love their music but these guys need to understand that President Trump is working to help ALL AMERICANS prosper and be safe. Give him a chance Messrs Crosby Stills Nash and Young!

33. These men are not seeing clearly. By their own admission hate has moved them and is now moving them. What do they have to say? We’ve hated each other F____you etc. Now we have a common hatred so lets pursue that. That is not a fight for what they feel is right, that is evil. You may dislike something and want to change it but HATRED binds us together. Very Sad.

34. Stills is in the rides with Kenny Wayne Shepard,Crosby just put out a masterpiece,Nash put out a decent record and Neil is his prolific usual self but to a lot of you they’re washed up.theyve always been
      Far left politically why are you turning up your noses now?

• A. Ghast says:

Speaking for myself, as a younger man (and an avid fan of rock and pop of the 60s and 70s) I had no insight into Life and no ability to grasp how detrimental these rancid Commies were to American society, and ultimately to Western Civilization itself. The article references ‘everything we have worked for in the last 30 years’.

What can they possibly be referring to? The devastation of the nuclear family? The inflation to worthlessness of our fiat currency? The drugs, the crime, the soul crippling deviancy? The never-ending War? The genuinely frightening Police State the erstwhile Free Love ‘n Dope Boomers have begotten?

This country is falling apart, with cultural rot oozing from every seam. To deny that we are have slidden into free-fall Decline since 1970 is to expose either a childlike ignorance or a complete inability to penetrate as much as 2 microns beneath the utter surface of things. The damage these 4 have done, and the toxic movement that gave them impetus, have brought incalculable harm to the fabric of well-ordered Society and spread lies and misery at a nearly incredible rate.

I hate them now, as an adult, for the same reason I no longer consider cotton candy and Doctor Pepper the finest breakfast conceivable by the mind of Man.

I grew up. I became a Man and began to read and think and draw inferences so obvious only a fool or a mental midget cannot see them.

These 4 performers are still frozen at the age of 21, rooted in a decade that only looms large in their mind because of their foolish delusions of relevance inculcated in a haze of pot smoke and self righteousness 40 plus years ago.

It’s sad. And we are going to reap the whirlwind idiots like these have sown. They can do whatever they like but I wouldn’t give them a penny to buy a lifeboat on the Titanic.

35. Kay Lenhart says:

TAKE. MY. MONEY!!!

36. David Wolf says:

Whether or not they ever perform or record again is irrelevant to me. Their music stands tall and will survive the idiocy and incompetency currently taking up space in the White House. And to say that like him or not, Trump hit a “groundswell” is hardly a compliment to the American character.

37. Joanne Lyon says:

I love these musicians. They have all added a lot to social commentary over the past 40 years. Something good has been added to the soundtrack of our lives, as well as to the importance of fighting for basic human rights.

38. So sad and pathetic when adults (let alone people in their 70s!) don’t outgrow the liberalism and pot smoking that made them imbeciles in their teens and twenties.
      My only hope is that Neil Young drives them all to the gig in his Exploding EcoCar.

39. Jack says:

Another group uf idots I no longer listen to. Tossing all their music.

40. Graham, that is swell but where was your sense of urgency when Obama dropped 26K bombs on seven countries in 2016 alone?!!! Or when Hillary turned Libya into a hellhole? Sorry, but as much as I like your work and your personality (loved your memoir!), you sound like a hypocrite now.

41. Redneck Hippie says:

Love CSNY music but they should be named “Band of Very Large Egos” They were relevant in the 60s but the times they are a changin! Made a ton of money from a bunch of hippie wannabees and changed nothing. Didn’t hear anything from any of them when Obama was selling us out to the Muslims and diviiding us financially, racially, etc.

42. Bradley manning is a traitor. I love this band but, my best friends nephew was in his Ranger unit and injured by and IUD looking for him! He deserted and gave out information that got others killed! Our friend will not discuss it because the case is ongoing. They need to stay out of this one even though they will not and are often wrong in assumptions. They are very wealthy so they think they are bullet proof.

43. CL says:

I have loved this band for all of my life, have seen them so many times in so many variations. If it is “Hatred” of something that would bring them together then that is nothing that I would want to see. They have always been political and especially making us aware of environmental issues. Nothing wrong with that, but what is described in this article is nothing that I would want to pay to see, I have the CD’s and my memories, sounds like it would be best leaving it at that.

If Ted Nugent opened for them, I would definitely re-consider going.

44. David S. says:

I don’t get it. And I’ll start with Trump. I felt that he’d never run because of the past dirt. And then he did. But I knew he would never win the nomination and, again, he did it. I have to say I was shocked, and as much as I disliked the Clinton politics, I knew she would crush him. But she didn’t. And as much as I disliked Trump, I had to wonder and re-think it all. I still dislike him,he’s a fool, or so he appears to be. But he struck a chord, and that is what we need to focus on. You can deservedly bash him all you want. I’m not a supporter. But there is a groundswell that you can’t avoid.

I worshiped CSN/CSNY, even though they fight like grade school kids. But I am now of the opinion that Graham Nash is a phony. I’ve seen interviews where he spewed about David Crosby and he vowed that CSN would never reunite because he had no desire to do so. But now he feels that with Trump as a common enemy, he can put aside his differences to fight a common foe. Oh, bullshit. Please, and I mean “Please”. just admit that you miss the lime light that you cannot get on your own.

Such Bullshit. Face facts. The ’60’s required change. But now we are facing a different battle. As a culture I believe we coexist, and we seem to appreciate one another. So now it doesn’t seem to be an ethnic difference. It seems to be more of an educational difference. I love that I can speak with everyone and despite our cultural differences, we can appreciate one another. And race doesn’t matter. If you find it differently then I think you may be a bit more racist than most would find comfortable. But, and I feel guilty saying this, it seems that there are those who do not appreciate the value of education and the sense of self worth that comes with it, Unfortunately I had a brother who took the bad route. He felt deserving and took the easy way. He learned a hard lesson, bless his soul.

.So, sorry for dragging it out, the point here is that; Trump is a fool but he did hit the soul of America; CSN/CSNY made their fortune on the disadvantaged (and God bless them for doing so), but, Graham found that he could no longer associate with David Crosby. And although that’s his right, he’s willing to sell out in the name of Trump.

45. Jack Lavelle says:

Is this jerk even a citizen? I remember really liking their initial record, and after that, well… Rich hippies complaining that The Donald is only in it for the money when they’re charging more than $100 a ticket for their ‘concerts’ is really funny. I don’t think they even hear themselves and how silly they sound. Jerks.

• Jeffree says:

The orange one hit on the soul of America thats for sure. A country founded on the wholesale slaughter of indigenous peoples, willing to bomb the shit out of any other country it doesn’t agree with and to take their resources to sustain a culture that is destroying the planet. O aren’t we so proud.

46. Every cloud has a silver lining.

47. Natalie says:

What’s wrong with David he might have a devil’s heart planted into him, The Bible says, to guard yer heart for the issues of life flow out of it –>

48. Chansonette Connolly says:

Right on you guys! You have stood with many of us in the past and have done a LOT of good. We need you now more than ever to make sure all the good and heroic efforts to save the planet and do good things is not completely unwound by Trump and his band of crazies. This is a time to COME TOGETHER.

49. If you saw the last 3 tours then you saw Stephen and Neil stand toe to toe trading heavy guitar riffs
      Every bit as good as ever and worth the money.Until you’ve witnessed it and heard it don’t bitch.

50. Ellen says:

I used to love them. Now I hate them equally. Lost a fan.

More Music News from Variety