Details Emerge About Chris Cornell’s Suicide in Leaked Police Report

Chris Cornell dead
Joe Papeo/REX/Shutterstock

Details surrounding Soundgarden singer Chris Cornell’s suicide were published Friday by The Detroit News, which obtained a copy of a report filed by officers who responded to the scene.

According to the article, the report says Cornell’s wife, Vicky, asked his bodyguard to check on the singer after a telephone conversation in which he repeatedly said, “I am just tired.” The bodyguard, Martin Kirsten, went to Cornell’s room at the MGM Grand Hotel shortly after midnight and found the main door and a door to the bedroom suite locked; he forced both doors open. He found Cornell on the bathroom floor, “with blood running from his mouth and a red exercise band around [his] neck,” the report says.

Cornell’s family issued a statement Friday morning disputing that his death was a suicide and may have been exacerbated by Ativan, which he had been prescribed for anxiety. Michael Woody, director of media relations for the Detroit Police, told Variety that the report had been leaked and an official version will not be available until the medical report is complete, probably several weeks from now.

Related

Chris CornellFort Rock Music Festival, Fort Myers, USA - 30 Apr 2017

Chris Cornell’s Family: Prescription Drugs May Have Influenced Suicide

Kirsten had been in Cornell’s room shortly before he received Vicky’s call. He helped the singer fix his computer and then gave Cornell two Ativan pills, “which victim takes for anxiety.”

At around 12:15 a.m., Vicky Cornell phoned Kirsten and asked him to check on her husband, “because he did not sound like he is okay,” the report said. She said her husband sounded “groggy and just kept saying, ‘I am just tired,’ and hung up the phone.”

Kirsten went to the singer’s suite and called security twice when he found the doors latched. Security personnel refused to allow him access, but Kirsten kicked down the doors and found the singer unresponsive. An MGM medic arrived at 12:56 a.m., according to the report, and “untied the red exercise band from [the] victim’s neck and began CPR on [Cornell, who] was not breathing.”

EMS personnel arrived minutes later and also unsuccessfully attempted CPR. Cornell was pronounced dead by a doctor at 1:30 a.m. Homicide detectives arrived and began an investigation, but foul play is not suspected in the case.

Cornell, who struggled with substance abuse for much of his life, admitted in 2009 that he had been in rehab for an addiction to OxyContin. He said he had been sober since 2002.

Marketplace

1. Holly Hardin says:

Definitely not suicide…a sacrifice like Prince was

2. Ken says:

I totally believe that this is a homicide. I know Chris would never do anything to harm himself.

• Christina Trottier says:

Cornell’s family issued a statement Friday morning<<<when statement are issued it's usually a done deal that the suicide happened regardless if you wanted it to or not. When people don't pay attention to the drugs they are taking whether it be prescription or not, they are already 2 ft in their own demise.

• Patti says:

You knew him personally? And about his history?

3. 9 broken ribs point to something else having happened.

4. Chris Cornell died by suicide. He was one of my favorite singers, and he had everything to live for so why suicide? It may be due to something not many people realize so I want to share my personal story. It is a little difficult to share this, but I do it in the hope of preventing tragic and hopefully avoidable deaths in other families.

I am 100% certain there are thousands of people who commit suicide every year because (AND ONLY BECAUSE) they are taking a prescription medication that literally caused them to do it. I believe wholeheartedly that is what happened to Chris Cornell. I say that because I believe I survived what he experienced in his final moments.

In 2013 I was having a lot of weird/uncomfortable symptoms due to aging and a few different doctors prescribed Xanax. The Xanax alleviated my uncomfortable physical symptoms, but it also gave me a much worse problem–it made me completely suicidal. I was not depressed or suicidal before taking Xanax. I was 48 years old, happily married, in a career I love, and happy with my life. It was the prescription that made me sick and turned me into a completely different and suicidal person.

Xanax literally “high jacked” my brain. That’s the most accurate way I can describe it. It made me wake up every day thinking of ways to end my life — completely against my will and normal personality. I was like a suicidal “robot” while on Xanax. I tried to kill myself four times. We couldn’t figure out why I was doing that, and the doctors kept insisting I needed more benzodiazepine drugs or different ones. They prescribed Xanax, Klonopin, and Ativan at different times. They insisted the drugs weren’t the problem even though they went to medical school for 8 years and knew those meds can cause suicidal thoughts and actions. SMH. Doctors don’t always know what’s right.

Six months into this nightmare we finally found a doctor who decided to take me off the benzodiazepines. After I got off the meds ALL my suicidal thoughts and actions went away completely. I went back to my normal, regular self. It was the meds that messed me up. I have had no problems with suicidal thoughts or actions since stopping the medications.

I’ll also tell you those meds made me 100% agoraphobic and anxious. Before the meds I used to love to go shopping, attend craft shows, see movies, and walk our dogs. While on the meds I was too terrified to do any of that. The meds completely changed who I was. It’s the weirdest thing I’ve ever been through in my life, and I’m so thankful I survived it.

So now every time I hear of a person who died from suicide, my first thoughts are always “I wonder if that person was on meds. Meds probably did this to them. I bet they would never do this in their non-medicated mind.” I read all the news articles to see if that person was on Xanax, Klonopin, or Ativan, etc. Sure enough many, many suicide victims are. I call them “victims” because they are truly victims of those meds in my humble opinion.

I post these messages to warn people. Please warn people. Tell them my story if you need to. Better yet, tell their family members the meds could be their ENTIRE problem. The person on the meds will not be well enough to understand the seriousness of this issue. That’s why you need to tell their family members.

I realize meds help some people so I can’t say that nobody should ever take them, but they can do much more harm than good too. In my humble opinion it’s a “crap shoot”. You don’t know if meds are going to help you or cause you to kill yourself. That’s very scary and not worth the risk in my opinion. Even being supervised did not stop my attempts to commit suicide. My husband asked my mother in law to stay with me while he went to work because he couldn’t trust me alone, and I went upstairs onto our roof and contemplated jumping off. I thank God I survived this 7-month nightmare and lived to tell this story in an attempt to help others.

I wish everyone knew how dangerous prescription drugs can be. I hope these words save some lives someday. I believe Chris Cornell’s death was in no way his fault. It is the fault of a horrible prescription drug that drug companies sell for major profits. Some doctors push these meds because they receive incentives from the drug company representatives for prescribing them. The they are given luxurious vacations, gifts, and constant free food for their entire staff on a daily basis. I saw the food incentives being given firsthand while I was in the waiting room of my doctor’s office. It’s unethical and sickening! To me they have blood on their hands for doing this because of the many innocent people who are dying due to the negative effects of prescription meds.

Please also know that while I was taking the meds I was completely powerless over them. Before I started taking the Xanax I was afraid to even take it because of the possible side effects. I kept a log of how often I was taking it and I took the lowest dose possible because I didn’t want to become addicted to it. I knew the bottle said it could cause suicidal thoughts, but I always thought that meant if I get those thoughts I’ll just stop taking the med and that would fix the problem. That’s not how it worked at all.

While on Xanax I could not even tell my husband I was having suicidal thoughts. I was literally sneaking out of the house at 2 a.m. to try and kill myself. I could not “reason” my way through this nightmare because that drug literally “high jacked” my brain. I woke up every day on automatic pilot thinking of ways to end my life and then acting on those thoughts. I find it extremely unexplainable that a drug can do that to a person, but it did. I know because I experienced it.

I wish the drug companies would develop a test to determine who will be affected negatively by prescription medications so those people can avoid taking them. Much research needs to be done in that area. I don’t know if that is possible, but it’s worth a try since they will probably never stop selling those medications.

Let me also tell you that 25 years before my nightmare on Xanax my mom tried to commit suicide out of nowhere. Like me she showed no prior signs of being depressed or suicidal. She was taking Ativan for anxiety, and out of the blue we got a call one day from our dad saying she was found unresponsive in the basement. She woke up from her coma in the hospital with no idea why she did that. She came so close to death that her doctor told us God saved her. At the time none of us could figure out why that happened. It was only a year after my experience that I realized why she did it. It was because of the Ativan she was taking for anxiety. I have no doubt about that.

I have been trying to get this information out to the public since 2013 when it happened to me. I post my story on my Facebook page and in some of the comments sections about suicides victims in the news. I do this in an effort to save lives.

I pray that the legacy of Chris Cornell’s death will be that his wife and other family members of famous people who died by suicide while on prescription medications will start a worldwide campaign to education the public about the dangers of these medications. And I pray that campaign will save many, many lives.

RIP, Mr. Cornell. The music in Heaven is even more spectacular now that you are there.

Sincerely,

Carolyn Hayward Williams

5. i have learned a lot from several other websites that detail the crazy that is his wife and her family. I’m even more upset that he was controlled by a gold digger who was clearly groomed to find the money that they needed. I implore you to dig deep about Vicky and her very superficial propaganda to the media.. she is a publicist. There are lots of talk of their impending divorce.

6. K boire says:

What can Iu say about a man whose voice rivaled a canary and brought so much to music along with Kim and the boys. Collaboration with rage brought a very spiritual side to the man and it is sho kingto see such talent perish unreasonably short. Only comparison I feel is Robert plant chris i will miss your next cotribution but your extrnsive cataloog will live on.. i hope you e are waiting room by room and free of your drmons. Im sure you are and may God bless and forgive you.. depression s a bitch

7. Patti says:

It’s interesting that the people who believe Chris committed suicide are those with some of his same struggles, because they can relate to how he may have felt and processed things. Those who don’t or who believe in conspiracy seem to be those who don’t relate to his vulnerabilities or who don’t want to believe they could’ve been happening to him.

8. I do believe that there are some things that don’t add up here. Why would a doc prescribe Ativan to a depressed addict with the possibility of suicidal tendencies as a result? Why did he need more Ativan, and why did Kirsten give them to him? Why did he need his computer tinkered with while planning to kill himself? Why did he have a carabiner with him? Not sure where it says that CPR was not given by Kirsten, as I have read that it was… All very strange and confusing.

What did Vicky change in her story? What would Kirsten benefit from by killing him or at least not helping him?

All I know is I’m having a very hard time with this and still am in shock. Have been crying for days… Loved him and the bands that he was in. Really sorry that I didn’t see them when they were here this month…

• Yasss says:

My doctor even told me, i wouldn’t give you Ativan, as it has a longer half life and much greater potential for abuse.

9. F.R. Grimm says:

Did you know: Did you know that for 13 years, Chris Cornell ran a charity to help abused and/or children living in poverty? Did you know that he recently took a trip to Greece, to an area where child sex trafficking is a big thing, in preparation for extending his charitable work to include creating a safe haven for these children? Did you know that Chris was in the middle of making a new album that he was super excited about (which was due to be released later this year) as well as on a tour he was excited about? Did you know that the Led Zeppelin song he performed at his last concert (the one everyone says is a sign he planned to kill himself) is one he frequently performed at shows? Did you know that he supposedly hung himself with mountain climbing equipment that was built to withstand tons of weight (so why was he found in the floor)? Did you know that his bodyguard was the last person to see him alive in his room and is the person who gave Chris Ativan that night…while he was fixing Chris’ computer (a strange thing for a suicidal person to request if he planned to off himself)? Did you know that same bodyguard is also the one who found his body..and did not attempt CPR but rather waited until medics got there? Did you know this was a very experienced bodyguard who was most certainly trained in how to administer CPR (he was Heidi Klum’s bodyguard)? Did you know that his wife has changed her story several times since the incident? Did you know that Chris was worth $60 million at the time of his death, and would be worth much more if he achieved legend status with a young and untimely death? Why is everyone so quick to jump on the “he was a depressed rock star who took drugs and killed himself” bandwagon when so many things do not add up??? Does Chris not deserve to have people investigate this and uncover all details before he simply gets summed up as a junky suicidal rockstar? Geeze, people. I know, I know. Asking questions when something doesn’t make sense is looked down upon these days. We are supposed to just blindly accept whatever we are told. Well, I don’t. I was (and will always be) a huge fan. I know his heart and his love for life and his devotion to his children and to making the world a better place. he had big plans, and he was excited about them. As someone who use to take Ativan in large doses and drink with it, I can say that it made me happy and then it made me go to sleep…which is exactly what I wanted at the time. All I am saying is that at this point, there are far more questions than answers and out of respect for Chris, I will not just blindly accept this story as gospel because I am told to. Chris deserves more than that.

• Brandy says:

Thank you!!! Finally someone else understands me!

• lupita trevino says:

I totally agree with you.

• Patti says:

Although I do agree the circumstances should be examined entirely, nothing you declare that points to proof of his not wanting to commit suicide is necessarily true. A person can be involved in causes, play music, love their family and talk about the future and still be suicidal; in fact, caring about the well being of everyone else can wear a person out mentally if predisposed to depression and substance abuse. And often a person will seem happy before the act because of the relief once the decision to commit suicide is made. They are different entities and often one is separate from the other. Only the person affected really knows what is the motivation. But pain and exhaustion will sometimes completely overshadow one’s perceived duties of life. That is what people often don’t understand. Also, the carabiner was supposedly found loose from where it was originally wedged which was thought to be why he was on the floor. Two doors were latched from the inside which indicates intent to not be interrupted. There could be any number of reasons he wanted his computer fixed-that’s a good thing to find out-and a bodyguard would need to get help first (always the first thing to do in any CPR situation) instead of thinking to forego that for CPR. There were already personnel in the hotel who came immediately anyway. I tend to more posit that he was already drugged during the concert, as was pretty evident in his performance, and that the last Ativan helped him or caused him to go through with it while he was separate from everyone. I sincerely hope I am wrong but as a former medical professional this is what I know about how suicide often works.

• Sandi Tam says:

Patti: It seems obvious to me that you either know someone who is or has been suicidal, or you yourself have been there, or you work in psychiatry. Everything you cite about suicide is right on the money, but often missed by the casual observer.

Oh! I just read your last line after I started typing this. I should finish reading before replying more often. ;) So you were in medicine. Makes sense. Suicide is often impossible to “square” by those whom it has not touched. The labeling of it as “selfish” is so…… myopic and ignorant, for instance. And perhaps even selfish in itself.

Following your line of thinking about the computer, I was just thinking that Chris, who I’ve never heard of before today (call me musically out of touch), could have had either some sort of message on it to be found by someone later, or maybe it needed to be functional in order for someone to facilitate the handling of business matters after his death.

• Tommy H. says:

Thanks very much for your post. In the end the great man is dead and everything else is a more or less dirty storyline which is still very important but doesn’t change the fact. Too often the line “the best die too soon” applies …

• Thanks Patti, I appreciate your answers… I guess we may never know about his real intentions and only the toxicology reports may help.

I miss him terribly and nothing will bring him back, sadly. People are complex and he for sure was one of those beings. I only pray that people will not be fighting over his millions as with Prince. That is a sad thing.

• Dominique says:

I knew about half of these things. Thank you for your post. It should be looked into further.

• Jessica says:

Very well said. I saw him perform with Audioslave in 2003 at Polaris amphitheatre in Columbus Ohio. I’m sad and shocked by the news. He seemed to be a man of great depth, self awareness, and heart. He will be greatly missed.

10. Walla says:

I love Soundgarden. But I also think it was a bad choice for him to reunite with them. It was a very dark place to return to lyrically.

11. Lori Lynn says:

This is clearly a homicide cause look at his eggnog back of head

12. iojove says:

First of all, this is just a piece of a leaked report and NOT the full story. Second of all, the article clearly states that the bodyguard was in Cornell’s room BEFORE his wife, Vicky, called and therefore BEFORE he told her he was “just tired.” Also, just because this one article states the bodyguard “gave him 2 pills” does not mean Kirsten was “in control of his meds,” nor does it make him responsible for Cornell’s death. He could have simply handed him the 2 pills upon Cornell’s own request. So let’s not be demonizing a random stranger who is probably going through a horrible time already due to this tragic loss.

13. steff says:

So his bodyguard was in control of his meds? Why would he give Chris 2, especially if he was already tired?

14. Mike says:

It’s really is a shame, such a talent. When I get anxiety, I just fap it away!

15. Kelly says:

I committed suicide once, because i was taking Paxil, and had no idea what i was doing at the time. I was found in time, horrifying that Chris could not be. No one like Chris should have been given that prescription and no one should have handed him two more when he was clearly not in his normal state. Now that these facts have come out i hope they prosecute the bodyguard for manslaughter

16. Jerry C says:

Every once in a while an almost unnatural super talent comes along. Chris will never be surpassed or forgotten. He now joins the ranks with the truly gifted and gone like Jimi, Janice, Stevie Ray, Kurt and Elvis.

• Velvet Green says:

Do you mean Kelly that you attempted suicide once?? as I’m GLAD to say you are still very much with us hun x Me too ,couldn’t take the pain of my marriage failing,my baby miscarrying and developing MS all in 1996..my day was 17th October 1999 and I woke up 3 days later without one single person having even tried to contact me..I taught me A LOT about life ,it also made me go to see a solicitor 2 days later to end my marriage..Kelly you and your very existence are important ,stay well Sophie x

17. Angel says:

These pills are the problem , exercise is my stress relief .

• I agree with most of the comments here about the huge responsibility pharmaceutical companies and those who enables their dirty business have about “legally” prescribed drugs. The reality is though that Chris is gone. This has hit me more than any other loss of artistic talent. You will be missed Chris, but as someone already said here, you are free at last. RIP Angel

18. Patti says:

He suffered all his life from anxiety, agoraphobia, and he was described as a loner from childhood. I get it, because I became the same way from an abusive childhood. I don’t know if he had a bad one, but there was some reason he suffered from those things; there always is if you spend your whole life like that. It obviously informed his soulfulness and voice. Besides trying to escape by drug abuse, a huge part of it is faking your persona to others out of the shame of it. The problem with that dishonesty is then you never get the proper help-it also makes you more alone with it than ever the longer it goes on. Although I am now in constant therapy from a lifetime of suffering, and on a couple of mood stabilizing drugs including occasional use of Ativan for anxiety, I completely understand how he felt up until that final decision because I have been there. Even though I have self-imposed my use of Ativan by trying to use meditation and other distractions from anxiety first, it doesn’t always work because it’s a brain thing and NOT a choice. My provider though is so on top of it I could never get away with getting more than I need and he especially watches the Ativan. It’s kind of comforting in a way I don’t understand. But I don’t abuse it either as now I understand the dangers more than I did earlier in life. The provider in these cases is so important for positive results. Obviously Chris didn’t get that care. So I am incredibly sad for the loss of such a talent and good person who was in that pain. When you are in it it seems so relentless that you are SO exhausted, and therefore it feels hopeless, and it’s so dangerous. So I don’t judge. And all I have to say is rest in peace you lovely soul.

• Emily says:

Well said, Patti. Thank you for helping some gain a better perspective of this. I agree wholeheartedly and am glad you are being truly being care of and are taking care of yourself. I, for one, have suffered from lifelong depression and panic disorder for 15+ years so I can relate somewhat. I couldn’t really get how Ativan itself could’ve caused this. I knew it ran deeper but didn’t know how much. (No one really does except for the individual, themself.) I knew he had suffered but not in the way you explain here, so thank you. I thought he had overcome it. You’re helping even me understand. He was the love of my life (musically) and I’m taking this especially hard. Goes to show that you can have everything in the world at your feet, but it can’t escape you from your demons.

19. Jewel says:

This so sad. Chris Cornell was a beautiful soul, with a voice that surpassed most.I love his music and I pray for his Family. I lost my 1st husband to suicide. We had a 6 month old daughter. I never got over it.

20. Jammy says:

My thoughts go out out to his family.. Another great artist gone too early. As a family member that has seen the direct results of a fathers suicide they will need to be strong and hold together as one to make it through these times. You will be missed Chris, hope Kurt meets you in heaven and you make some special tunes…

21. this is a sad day for alot of us. any benzines have a long shelf life in the liver and can cause people to think they are ok right up to the moment they are not. i know this because i lived thru it and i wish he could have to. he was a great artist, and that word is given to alot of people but he truly was!!

22. Freddie Lynn says:

Having suffered from anxiety for most of my adult life and thanks to abusers and the black market, can’t get Xanax prescriptions anymore without a ginormous hassle – so I was glad to get Ativan and am familiar with the effects of the drug. This said, I know from experience it would take more than 2 to knock a grown man completely out. I truly believe this man did not intentionally take his life, that autoerotic asphyxiation was involved.

• Matt B says:

It’s benzos..not benzines.n it’s half life,not shelf life.No they don’t all have long half life in the body.Diazapam and Clonazepam (Valium and Klonopin) do.Ativan and Xanax not so much.Im a recovering heroin addict and combat veteran.i have PTSD, panic disorder and General Anxiety disorder.i take Klonopin.Anyhow I grew up with the “grunge era”..the bands didn’t care for the label “grunge”. Layne Staley had the saddest death and was my favorite.. but I enjoyed all the bands in that scene.AIC, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Mother Love Bone,Mudhoney,Stp.. unfortunately heroin was part of the culture.Chris also was a recovering opiate addict and alcohol issues.. Anyways RIP Chris.fly high.

• Velvet Green says:

Because anti depressant drugs are a ‘course’ of drugs and one doesn’t take them ‘as and when’ it’s a Benzodiazepine and certainly drugs like that are not used much now here in the UK..It goes to show how dreadful this thing called depression is and how quickly it can consume a strong man.I really hope men in particular start to open up about mental health as 1 in 3 of us will have a major episode of depression in our lives ,I’ve battled bi polar for years and ironically worked in mental health myself ..RIP Chris Cornell ,much loved and missed xx Sophie

• Kristen says:

It’s so disgusting that perverts like you keep throwing this idea out. The medical examiner for the city of Detroit and all the law enforcement who attended this scene would not falsify a report of suicide. He spent at least the whole day in a bizarre state, changed his song and posted ominous things on Facebook and twitter hours beforehand. Nor are you interested in sex or have those receptors when you are high on this type of drug. Go to hell.

23. joe says:

people that were addicted to pills ..should NOT be given MORE pills,,,, anxiety??? you would think he would have taken them before He went on stage..not after….RIP…. at last…

• Christy says:

I think that he did take some before the show, maybe even before his flight to the show, too, which is why he said, right after the show, that he’d taken “one or two extra”. Then he took two more from the security guard, but the timeline doesn’t really give those two a lot of time to do much. My nephew, who is like my son, took the same pills & physically attacked me in my yard. I take medication that is nowhere near as strong or even the same kind of medication & ive done things I have absolutely no memory of. A person can’t control what they don’t remember, which could be the reason he acted so different during that show & why he died. Praying for his family & friends.

24. Dana says:

I am so very sorry for this, I was Such a Fan. Being prescribed that and Zoloft made me a completely different disilluioned, lost young girl with dark thoughts. I would rather deal with my root causes than to even rely on that, or Zoloft. Who knows what was he was battling besides the way the pills made him feel but his dearth affected my experience and heart. I hope the autopsy says what the family needs to hear. These pills ruin your personality, take away Lots of what made you beautiful. I flushed those things down the toilet after some short time. FDA in America approves anything that makes them money and SHAME ON YOU, and shame on the scientists that made such a pill that takes you away from yourself. It’s greed, control and people don’t need this. They need what the FDA hardly controls, real
      Farmers, vegetables, times ten, and nuts and food of the earth. Money won’t buy you happiness, food with natural chemicals will.

If this post doesn’t get deleted for its legitimate perspective, I hope his family reads this. May GOD bless you.

• Crash says:

I used drugs and abused drugs to numb the depression that was running rampant throughout my everyday life since the age of 13, before the being prescribed Zoloft. This was years ago and I had OD’d a few times before that over the years. I decided to get help for my addictions and with that help came Zoloft. It was supposed to help. It turned into the most frightening experience in my life. I never took ativan so I cannot speak of its effects. What I can say is Zoloft completely turned off all logical reasoning in my brain and simple things like rationalising consequences for my actions, were totally non-existent. It was the first time in my life I was truly terrified, and it came in a little bottle with my name on it, prescribed by a doctor that was literally saying “let’s try this one” then the proverbial “that didn’t work so try this one” so on and so forth until one day there I was taking 50mg (if I remember correctly) of zoloft a few times a day. So, with Chris saying he took an extra pill or two… This is a very typical response from a person who is wasted (I have used this exact phrase at least a hundred times myself) who is being questioned about why they are slurring their words. It’s almost like a defense mechanism for former addicts and addicts. I agree some of things with the bodyguard, Martin Kristen, seem fishy. Especially the lack of cpr and at very least the removal of the band from around his neck. But I was not there. So I am not going to speculate. I had seen Chris in concert a number of times with this last show being an exception. The most recent was 2014 here in Detroit. I can say after watching the concert videos from that night that Chris was not himself and in all probability under the influence of something. Whether it be the prescribed Ativan and/or something else. I can tell you from experience, it only takes one thing.. It can be as trivial as a song you hear or the damn weather outside of your window to trigger a recovering addict and diagnosed depressive to do something extreme without fully comprehending the consequences of their actions because of a drug that can affect your state of mind. Chris worked for YEARS to stay sober, then the love of his life accuses him of being high? To a recovering addict or even an addict who happens to be sober when pried like that, is pure kryptonite. And coming from his wife, the one person that he absolutely never wanted to let down, must have been so painful (Once again,from experience) that it could have triggered something in his already fragile state of mind. He could have thought all those years fighting for his sobriety were lost. Thoughts like “they think I’m f’d up so maybe I AM a f**k up.” is not too far of a reach. Wow this turned into a novel… My point, these drugs that are prescribed are just as dangerous as any other, legal or illegal. I almost lost my life because a little blue pill called Zoloft. It was supposed to help with my depression,and it did for a little while…. until it stopped and became something so much more corrosive and destructive. Let the man rest in the peace. He spent years desperately striving for the peace he has finally obtained.

• Chim says:

I couldn’t agree more, and I also had that experience with Zoloft- it scared me half to death. I won’t repeat everything you said because you are spot on in my book. RIP Chris

• Laura says:

I have been on Zoloft for many years & frankly, it keeps me alive. Clearly it wasn’t right for you, but don’t make blanket statements like “these pills ruin your personality.” These pills HELP me.

• Snappy Pants says:

I feel you. I’m on Zoloft now and I feel the same way, but without it I’d probably be a useless coke addict. He was hurting, for reasons none of us will really understand. Sometimes you’re strong enough to face it head on but in so many cases you’re not. Yes, big pharma has an agenda, but at the same time they are responding to a genuine need. We’re medicating people because its the only way we know how to deal with it. We need to take a good hard look at this broken culture. Its not going to be a quick fix.

25. glen metcalfe says:

for anyone out there who doesnt understand opiates,ask yourself this,WHY is OPIATE ADDICTION a worldwide epidemic.There is nothing more I cant stand than for people who have no idea or knowledge on the subject LABEL and joke about something so serious.Noone on earth has ever woke up and said “I think todays a good day to become an addict” and gone out and started on this EVIL life altering path.Some of us don’t have the coping mechanisms to deal with both mental and physical pain.So we go to a doctor,and describe our symptoms and how we are feeling and the doctor prescribes medications.They do this because thats what they are taught to do,treat symptoms mostly.Then you have your governments and big pharmaseutical companies like PURDUE pharmaseuticals that make billions and billions of dollars off of these meds.They also knowingly lied about the risks of addiction and said OXYCONTIN was less likely to become an addiction.So now 20 some years after the introduction of these narcotics you have EPIC proportions of the worlds population wired to these drugs,and at the end of the day all it did was mask the issues people were having but because so many have become addicted its now a major problem.What do they do to fix it,invent these same sorta drugs but without the EUPHORIC feeling that OPIATES create and now you have METHADONE and SUBOXONE,and guess what,the ELITE1% are still making BILLIONS AND BILLIONS only now the people dont get the euphoric feel good feeling but are addicted to a drug thats even far worse than the original problem!The really reallly sad part is now the people are a REGISTERED DRUG ADDICT.All because they became sick and went to a doctor.OPIATE ADDICTION doesnt descriminate,there are millions everywhere addicted so please stop with the LABELING and the JUDGEMENT!

• Kristine Apodaca says:

Fwiw… Ativan isn’t an opiate, it’s a benzodiazipine. Still probably not a great thing to prescribe to someone with addiction issues, but opiates have a completely different mode of action.

• Jewel says:

Yes, you are right. I became addicted to opiates at the age of 24. I then went on to being a full blown I. V. Heroin addict for the following 26 years. I am now on 145 mg. Of methadone, I have been on it for 6 straight years. I have NO plans of ever coming off of it. I have been thru methadone withdrawal, it’s 10, 000 times worse than Heroin withdrawl. I traded one habit for a legal one. I guess I see methadone as the lesser of the two evils.

• Pit says:

Who doesn’t have anxiety??? Man up n deal with it! That’s the problem with the ppl in this world, everyone wants a pill to cure every problem from ED, ADHD, to a little belly fat for God sakes! Its no wonder the Pharm companies make billions. No one, as far as I’m aware, is ever “forced” to take a pill to deal with life’s problems. That’s a personal choice! Y’all keep takin pills for stupid shit n I’ll continue to sit back n laugh at the results! If any good can come from this, maybe it’s the fact that this will help ppl wake the F up!!! As for Chris, I’m a huge fan of all his material. It’s a sad n huge loss to the music n his fans. My heart truly goes out to his family n his loved ones. Ur in my prayers, God bless.

• babylon616 says:

You are delusional. Go play hide & go f yourself.

• Kitty says:

Thats like asking who doesn’t have cancer cells? We all do but the difference is whether it is benign or malignant which can be life or death for most. I have suffered from life altering anxiety that stems from childhood trauma for nearly 2 decades. Just like your arm or leg can break along with any other body part your mind can break too or be diseased. Do you think schizophrenia, Alzheimers, PTSD, etc is all in someone’s head as a choice that they can just switch on and off? There are plenty of brain diseases due to chemical imbalances-they use to just throw us in an asylums and give us lobotomies which turns full functioning adults into lifetime zombies. The medication I take (not antivan) helps me get out and function at my full capacity allowing me to be apart of this world. Mental illness is real and this type of attitudes prevents others from getting help because they feel ashamed and helpless. Mental illness is not a choice but an unwanted defect of our cognitive functioning that prevents some of us from living normal lives. You have no idea what its like to be an extrovert naturally and due to trauma you develop a mental block like a shock collar around your neck whenever you go to be yourself. We have to be more aware of mental illness-it is no longer a secret family member you can just send to an asylum and forget they exist. (My uncle was killed in an asylum years ago due to an unknown procedure) We are now out in the world trying to function and we need the support of love and understanding. I recommend therapy and medication only when needed. Please have empathy and read the The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) to better understand what is out there. Peace.

• HypocritesSuck says:

You’ll sit back and laugh in one breath and then “bless” the Cornell family in the other? Have you ever been around someone with PTSD? I was diagnosed 10 years ago and if it weren’t for a PILL if you were standing in front of me, spouting this shit, you’d be wearing your fucking face on the other side of your worthless head!

• Christy says:

I had physical issues that caused me to get very depressed because no doctor believed I really had anything wrong with me. Thankfully, my cousin with MS was a doctor & kept telling me that I was indeed sick & helped guide me to the right doctor. Before I saw him, though, I started having panic attacks. I thought I was losing my mind, but found out I had autoimmune issues that caused four areas of vasculitis in my brain. That swelling caused the panic attacks, emotional changes, & severe pain throughout my body, depending on where the vasculitis moved in my brain. I had & still have to take medication just to be able to stand & walk to the bathroom. You could say that I’m not forced to take medication, but the only other choice is death! To me, I’m forced to take medication to live. The depression went away as soon as my doctor gave me an actual name for my illness & ive gotten myself off of a lot of the medication I used to take. It’s not also so black & white or cut & dry as “manning up”. Brandon, I completely agree with you.

• Brandon says:

By the way, ending that kind of shit with god bless really makes me want to break my fist on your jaw.

• Brandon says:

On behalf of myself and millions of others who suffer from mental illness, go fuck yourself!

• chaduke says:

Thank you Cornell Fan. That’s one of the worst things about anxiety. People who have never really felt what a panic attack feels like and how debilitating it can be will always underestimate it. Its not a simple matter of just nutting up. People who actually live through it are the strongest people on Earth.

• Cornell Fan says:

#1 Ativan is NOT an opiate, learn your facts.

#1 Obviously your small narrow mind has no clue what anxiety and panic attacks feel like, it’s not just “manning up” but clearly you have no idea, I hope you do not have any children as I would feel sorry for their constant verbal abuse coming from someone like you.

• Donna says:

Also thank to Rudy Guiliannis law office for assisting Perdue pharmacueticals in getting oxycodone approved. That was the drug deal of the century. Class action lawsuit people.

• glen metcalfe says:

class action lawsuit was already awarded,I cant remember the exact figures but it was somewhere around 2 billion.But is giving people money reallly the answer.I am CANADIAN and I have personally become a victim of this and I dont want one penny,what I would like to see is the GOVERNMENT be held accountable instead of jumping on the cash cow bandwagon making money off of giving out licenses.Its really sad when you go to a doctor your given a prescription for years and then all of a sudden your labeled a drug addict and NOW they take your meds away,sit down and think about that!My brain(PITUITORY GLANDS) have been shut down and dont operate now so now i dont get the chemicals that my brain use to make which are your natural pain killers,plus on top they now take my meds away and REPLACE them with a chemical that was invented by HITLERS puppet doctors and I will never feel the same.I have no will to do anything,I have no feelings anymore,and Im trapped inside a body that is now 150lbs overweight because of METHADONE and this is the life I am sentenced too,all because I didnt feel well,was in alot of pain and went to a doctor! Im not looking for a pity party or anyone feeling sorry for me,I am explaining the cold hard facts! So why am i now basically criminalized by the view of people who have no clue as to what they are talking about,I wouldnt wish withdrawl on my worst enemy,you have no idea of what being DOPE SICK IS unless you have gone through it!By the way the CANADIAN side is still haggling with the government in the courts because nothing was awarded in CANADA,only the USA.I would bet that cris cornell had a recent relapse lately and was tired of arguiing with people who have never lived in his body or mind.What people forget is ADDICTION is an ILLNESS.

26. Allen Sheppard says:

Glen Metcalfe has said it all and is exactly right. I am one who can truly and officially relate. God judges us by our heart and understands without condemnation. Ignorant people judge by the outside and only what they can see. I pray for God to keep Chris and his family in His hand and bless them all with His peace.

27. glen metcalfe says:

truely an awesome singer songwriter and HUMAN BEING! Its really sad that the majority of ICONS who wrote and performed from the grunge era are gone.They brought so many memorable moments.The really strange thing is the fact they ALL had the same problem I have,OPIODS! They start out as the closest thing you can find to being in heaven,until it takes over and becomes a chore to find enough of them just to feel what we think is normal!They hijack your brains ability to produce endorphins and many other natural things our brains produce,and once you have been addicted to OPIODS,you will never ever ever feel the same again.The truth in the matter is the fact that anyone who takes OPIODS is trying to escape pain,plain and simple!whether its physical or emotional,its still pain.Then you have the EXPERTS(anyone who has NEVER taking opiods) label you as an ADDICT,and JUDGE you.Unless you have walked in this persons mind,who are you to judge OR label anyone who is simply trying to escape PAIN! good night and god bless!RIP chris cornell,see you in heaven brother

28. 208benjammin says:

He’s pretty obviously high. What a shame that his addiction returned…he was such a beautiful person. Whenever I was in treatment it was the heroin addicts that I loved the most. Chris is free now.. While Kurt Cobain (who Chris used to use with circa 1990) took the fast track to suicide; Chris managed substantial periods of sobriety over the years (as has been my personal dilemma…) Unfortunately his addiction, which had shifted to pharmaceutical opiates, apparently reared it’s ugly head again and apparently the addiction became too great for him to deal with any more. Sister morphine keeps calling…she never stops… That stuff steals your soul. I’m heartbroken that another bright light has succumbed to the deep-seated evil under the rainbow…. Rest in peace brother Chris. You’re free at last.

• 208benjammin says:

I meant to post this version:

I knew what he was feeling the minute I heard about his suicide – he was just sick and tired of being sick and tired…and he was pretty obviously high in the videos of the Detroit performance. What a shame that his addiction returned…he was such a beautiful person. Whenever I was in treatment it was the heroin addicts that I loved the most. Chris is free now.. While Kurt Cobain (who Chris used to use with circa late 1980’s) took the fast track to suicide; Chris managed substantial periods of sobriety over the years (as has been my personal dilemma…) Unfortunately his addiction, which had shifted to pharmaceutical opiates, apparently reared it’s ugly head again and apparently the addiction became too great for him to deal with any more. Sister morphine keeps calling…she never stops… That stuff steals your soul. I’m heartbroken that another bright light has succumbed to the deep-seated evil under the rainbow…. Rest in peace brother Chris. You’re free at last.

29. Chris Cornell died by suicide. He was one of my favorite singers, and he had everything to live for so why suicide? It may be due to something not many people realize so I have to share my personal story. It is a little difficult to share this, but I do it in the hope of preventing a tragedy in someone’s family.

I am 100% certain there are thousands of people who commit suicide every year because (AND ONLY BECAUSE) they are taking a prescription medication that literally caused them to do it. Perhaps that is what happened to Chris Cornell.

I can only say this because that bizarre situation happened to me in 2013. I was having a lot of weird symptoms due to aging and several doctors prescribed Xanax.

The Xanax fixed my symptoms but it also gave me a much worse problem–it make me completely suicidal.

I was not depressed before, during, or after taking Xanax. Xanax simply “high jacked” my brain. That’s the most accurate way I can describe it. It made me wake up every day thinking of ways to end my life — completely against my will and normal personality.

So every time I hear of a person who died from suicide, my first thoughts are always “I wonder if that person was on meds. Meds probably did this to them. I bet they would never do this in their non-medicated mind.”

So I post these messages to warn people. Please warn people. Tell them my story if you need to. I took a drug on the advice of doctors. It was a HUGE mistake. It made me try suicide four times until we figured out it was the meds doing this to me. I immediately got off the meds after that, and since then I’ve been completely back to my normal, healthy self. And make sure you know doctors love to push meds. Mine did, but it was the meds that nearly killed me. Doctors don’t always know what’s best.

I realize meds help some people, but in my humble opinion it’s a “crap shoot”. You don’t know if meds are going to help you or cause you to kill yourself. That’s very scary and not worth the risk in my opinion. Even being supervised did not stop my attempts to commit suicide. Scary stuff. I’m so glad I survived that nightmare and lived to tell this story in an attempt to help others.

• Chim says:

True true true!!!

• Dominique says:

This same thing happened to me not 44 days ago. I almost died. I wasn’t suicidal! I was aging, and hormones change and medicines are prescribed. I don’t remember any of it and woke up in a hospital on suicide watch. They committed me for only 3 days because I was able to talk my way way out of there. It sounds crazy, I didn’t want to die, yet I almost killed myself! I was on Xanax and Wellbutrin. I am sorry for this very talented soul leaving this place prematurely. May he rest in peace.

• Jennifer says:

So, so true. I am on Celexa, and a couple years ago when I tried to wean myself off of it I almost killed myself because I was suicidal and I just wanted the pain to end. My whole body ached inside and out. It was truly terrifying how terrible I felt. At the last minute I just went back on it and immediately felt relief. So now I am tied to this medication for the rest of my life. It is literally a life and death situation. I am so, so sad for Chris and his family. I have been crying nonstop since I heard the news yesterday. Such and awful tragedy.

• chaduke says:

You need to wean yourself super slow. Like 1 quarter pill every 2 weeks. You also need to be sure you don’t need it anymore. You have to actively program yourself to live a life without it, its never easy, but you definitely can do it if you really want it. Good luck to you.

30. Kay says:

So very sad. He had it all but I guess it wasn’t enough or maybe it was all too much. Unfortunately, we will never know because he didn’t leave a note. Hopefully he has found peace. A million prayers of comfort & peace to his family.

31. Travis says:

Hey all the speculation is BS. All I know that my favourite musician is dead because he lacked the help and support he should have had. Been a fan of his for 25 years since first hearing outshined. There needs to be a better support system for these artists that struggle with these positions that we (fans and industry) elevate them to. I’m sorry but these accidents or misadventures is a problem we need to address and keep our respected artists well supported and healthy. Rest in peace Chris, all love and support to Vicky and your children.

• chaduke says:

Its got to be rough for people like Chris who in the entire world maybe about 20-30 people can actually empathize.

• Jenn says:

Absolutely. Very well said.

• Jill Dillon says:

I totally agree!

• Adam says:

I agree with you as what the fans and media do to stars and not allow them to live with any privacy. But what what most people don’t understand unless you have dealt with depression and addiction, is that some people (chris) and myself, as that we have a chemical imbalance, and if not treated, can lead to what happened to Chris. It doesn’t make you a bad personal or weak, everybody is made up chemically different and if not helped with therapy, support system and medication sometimes, these things happen. But chris had the means to have the best medical and support clinic in the world at his hands, but it takes the person to take that first step, which is definitely easier said than done. #rip

32. PrettyWife says:

I don’t care how many facts I ever learn about this event, it will never make sense. His poor family mostly, but this is devastating for it’s mystery and loss it’s left us with.

33. Jill Dillon says:

I am so saddened by his loss. I have watched him for 20 plus years, and am actually mourning his loss, mostly for what his children are going through right now. Too me, he always seemed so in control, and his voice just always amazed me! I saw the video of his last concert, and he didn’t look or act like the same Chris Cornell that I watched and love. He seemed exhausted and spent. It seems like the inner demon just won! I will always love him & his music. He doesn’t know me, I’m just one of the millions of fans who followed him. A sad day for so many! Please Chris be happy now!

34. Hey I wish someone turned up early enough to avoid this. Ativan pills can raise suicidal thoughts, exactly why i think her wife became worried the moment He said i am tried. he shouldn’t have been left all alone. RIP Chris you will surely be remembered.

35. Reddae says:

This is just unspeakably, incredibly sad. He will be so missed is an understatement. I only hope he is in peace now, and his family is receiving the comfort they need.

36. urbangirl says:

people need to quit blaming ativan as the cause of his choice to end his life. He CLEARLY gave signs he intended to end his life hours before he even took the medication. SMH. Add the pieces of the puzzle and you can conclude that 2 ativan pills didn’t make him plan this the way he so clearly did.

37. Ed says:

One of the side effects of Ativan is suicidal thoughts. Nice drug, they cure your anxiety by having you kill yourself! Hey, problem solved, no more anxiety! Forever!

38. Shane says:

He looked not himself or tired and exhausted at Detroit show for some reason. Little rushed maybe. So sad to hear of his passing. Why are these iconic figures leaving us so young? Guess millions of dollars doesnt guarantee or buy happiness just hardships and or hassles. The grunge era totally revolutionized rock to me. Will continue to enjoy vocals of Layne, Scott, Kurt and Chris for many years to come. This wont be the day grunge has died but its spirit will live on forever. Some of us do become too prescription drug or chemical dependent and are a mess without them. Just wish their were more healthier therapeutic alternatives.

• Austin says:

Ever heard of Cannabis or “marihuana” (i.e. The Devil’s Lettuce before?? Comes straight from the ground (or God himself)… pretty flipping safe. Unfortunately they only have pills in Florida (where he was living), no pot.

• Patti says:

Stop with the marijuana angle; it in fact has several unacceptable chemical effects in the body including altered brain activity and the same effects that smoking brings in lung damage and who knows what else. Go to statistics in the states that have legalized it. Then go look up some reputable scientific evidence. Oh, and there are many things that come from the ground that are poisonous, including plants and the chemicals or metals in the earth’s crust where they grow or which are dug up in various forms. The only potentially safe application is for the chemical in marijuana and perhaps only for medical use; and they are still researching that.

39. Karen Ludwig says:

Why didn’t the security guard pull the noose off and attempt CPR?

• Meighan Tanner says:

I read in another article that he did. Unfortunately, with so many reports going around, all of the information given is not the same. I wish the hotel would’ve let him in the first time.

• ellzax says:

No one said it was a noose, nor did it report how tight it was. Also, you don’t know, bc it isn’t in the report, but the body guard may have touched him and found him to be cold, a clear sign he is too far gone to help, and then he may very well have thought the best way to avoid being a suspect of foul play was to allow a third party to view him as he was found. Just because EMSA performs CPR doesn’t mean they believe it will work, they do it as a matter of course in an “emergency” situation. Bottom line: there was a reason, and it isn’t automatically poor judgment om the security guard’s part.

40. John C says:

Its Really sad that a great man like chris is gone. May his soul rest perfectly. RIP Cornel.

41. D-Man says:

I have been listening to Chris Cornell for 25 years..feels like a close friend has gone and left me. RIP

42. Laura Guenzi says:

Chris, I’m sorry that you had to leave this life…You will be missed! RiP….Love & Prayers to your family & friends!!!

43. Deidre says:

I take 3 ativan a day for my depression, along with other medications. I’ve never had a problem with them. Some people need to take benzos to cope with daily life.
      I’m sad to hear of his passing. R.I.P. Chris

• Austin says:

Bullshit. No they don’t! Get them some to try Cannabis. Benzo’s are as evil as alcohol and make you STUPID (i.e. slurred speech). There are plenty of cannabis strains which perfectly substitute a Benzo.

• Joe says:

It’s ridiculous to suggest everyone take your favorite drug for their problems. Cannabis makes me violent and angry. I’m sure if i took enough of it i would drive a car through a building. Opiates are derived from a plant as well, smoking marijuana makes you as much of a drug addict as if you did heroin. your argument is idiotic.

• Geri Cizmar says:

Benzodiazepines are the worst. I’d advise anyone to avoid them if possible. They’re meant for short term use and many people end up stuck on them. Xanax, Valium, Klonopin, Ativan…Doctors are getting a little more strict with them now but in the past they were doled out like candy. Before you know it you’re used to the dosage and it doesn’t relax you anymore. People also need to learn how to cope better. Life can suck but the answer isn’t in a pill. If a person has something like Bipolar Disorder or Schizophrenia, then there’s no choice but to go on meds… but if it’s anxiety you’ll become a slave to the Benzos. I’ve also read they kill you brain as in dementia with long term use.

• Dave says:

No, no there are not…

44. sench9us says:

Eric, errrm they never ARE ‘by themselves’. They tend to get swallowed by people…? And your not in touch with what is going on at all! I would use that internet in front of you if I was you:

5 Charts That Show How Bad America’s Drug Problem Is: time .com

45. Bradley says:

Why in the world would a recovering addict be prescribed BENZOS?!?! They are an extremely addicting and dangerous drug for people with addiction issues….so sad.

• Matt says:

That’s what I’m talking about. Anyone who has been to rehab for narcotics, or has a history of addiction problems should never be prescribed Ativan. Benzo’s are way addictive, and produce pretty bad withdrawals. Ativan or Xanax mixed with opiates, alcohol, or both could easily cause blackout situations. it’s such a sad deal. I grew up listening to him. He was incredibly talented, and seemed like a good person too. So sad. RIP

• Ronni says:

Chris was fully capable of getting pills that did not need a prescription. Duh! Stop blaming Dr.s people! He could get anything he wanted. I’ll bet his wife don’t want the public to think he was an addict so let’s blame it on one or two extra pills.. Are people really that gullible?

46. Eric says:

Benzodiazapenes aren’t all that lethal by themselves even in quite large amounts. It’s when they’re mixed with other drugs that overdoses tend to occur. That’s not to say that a person may not become confused and do some very strange things without even knowing it or remembering it. I’ve been told many stories about very strange things I had done with no recollection of doing them at all. RIP Chris you will be missed and remembered forever.

• Luis says:

I still blame the pushers AKA the doctors because they are “allopathic” meaning they believe drugs to cure disease and they don’t know any better. Let’s exam throughout history just “who” exactly who brings in the Opiates to us in the first place or creates diseases or pandemics then inserts them on the populations around the world while at the same time banning natural things that cure and prevent diseases, and always for their own selfish greed and control? It’s Big Brother! Oh, but let’s get everyone on alcohol because that’s taxable were as pot/weed wasn’t before, Oh don’t worry Monsanto has a solution, genetically modified pot. HoweverI have the real solution, its deep though! Burn Monsanto to the ground, arrest all the judges and prosecutors and central bankers, create debt free currency, than have free health care and real help for free, and put an end all wars, have people elected by lottery who want to be elected arrest all these so-called leaders right and left, make privacy paramount as a human right. Because wheater one realizes or not, right now we are all their slaves, think not, then I dare you to visit or view any John Pilger film on ut ube, as well as the Russell Tribunal, and what is “The Collectivist Conspiracy” by Dr Griffen, if you don’t then Cornell will simply be another sad satistic blamed on self indugence, because in order to understand we are all being made slaves you have to open your eye/s, Freedom is one big fat lie! I miss Chris So muchright now too, he was A real man, with a big problem given to him by our elite and YES corrupt doctors are part of the game created by out “real” slave masters, why else do they call medicine “Rockefeller Medicene”, don’t take my word for it LOOK and ask. I miss him and know what he was dealing with and no matter how smart you are, no one is safe from these Evil ones who make these diseases then come up with the solutions, either directly, or indirectly through social economic issues. WAKE UP PEOPLE they are take our loved ones! RIP my best freind!

• One of the side effects of Ativan is ‘thoughts of suicide or hurting yourself’ so I think that’s what the family is getting at in this case and not an accidental overdose or anything.

47. RIP Chris says:

And I take Ativan. 2 pills just doesn’t do that.

• Matt says:

Ativan are pretty weak. Way weaker than Xanax, and he would’ve had to have taken more than just two, even if he’s mixing it with something most likely. Having prior addiction problems, he should’ve never been prescribed them in the first place.

• urbangirl says:

exactly!

48. RIP Chris says:

Why did it take 45 minutes between his wife’s request and a medic to arrive?? And the hotel denied his own bodyguard access?? Wth?!!

• I wish they would pull the hotel video footage of the hallway near his door. This sounds too strange to me. I can’t imagine that if he was contemplating suicide that he didn’t leave a note – you are taking Chris Cornell here! 2 benzo’s are not going to do this to an addict. He would need a hell of a lot more to cause him to do this. He wasn’t hanging from anything, so why was there a exercise band around his neck and he was on the floor? Hmmm. Was he on heroin? Was he shooting up a vein in his neck? There is so much more to this story and unfortunately, we will probably never really know the truth.

49. byron penick says:

Doesn’t sound like suicide to me. Exercise band tied around the neck? Strange choice when you have a script for ativan-much easier. Words slurred that would take more than a couple ativan. I wouldn’t be surprised if alcohol and opiates weren’t involved. I will really miss his music. World seems a lot more lonely with out him in it. Scott W too. All the good die young. Praying for his wife and kids.

• Mike says:

It’s practically impossible for a person to die from an overdose of Ativan (or any other benzo) alone. You would have to take about 5 pharmacies’ worth of pills. Add alcohol or an opiate to them and that’s an entirely different story.

50. John says:

How does a bodyguard not know cpr?

• eccarson says:

Ativan. What a poisonous substance. Doctors need to stop prescribing benzos.

• chaduke says:

Ativan and Xanax are both Benzos. Don’t you people at least use google before you post some dumb shit?

• Scott says:

Benzos are Xanax not Ativan.

• Ron says:

You have no idea what you’re talking about. If you’ve never suffered clinical anxiety and/or depression do not tell me that a very efficacious medicine is “poison.”

They are very safe if taken appropriately and not mixed with alcohol or other depressants. And Ativan, by the way, is among the weakest benzodiazepams prescribed.

• Jeff says:

There are security specialists who are babysitters for sickb troubled, rich and famous people. They perform or coordinate security, track/administer meds, prevent embarrassing scenes, and generally keep performers capable of arriving on stage able to perform. Both John Belushi and Joe Walsh had one. Belushi turned his into a drug supplier.

More Music News from Variety