Chester Bennington’s Death Comes on Friend Chris Cornell’s Birthday

Chester Bennington
AP

Linkin Park singer Chester Bennington was found dead of an apparent suicide in his home south of Los Angeles on Thursday — which also would have been the birthday of late Soundgarden singer and good friend of Bennington’s, Chris Cornell.

Cornell would have been 53 on Thursday. He also died by suicide in May.

Bennington performed a rendition of Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah” at Cornell’s private funeral service in Los Angeles’ Hollywood Forever Cemetery on May 27. He also released an emotional open letter to Cornell the day the Soundgarden singer died.

Related

Chris Cornell suicide

Chris Cornell’s Los Angeles Funeral Attended by Bandmates, Chester Bennington, Brad Pitt, Dave Grohl

“Thoughts of you flooded my mind and I wept,” Bennington wrote. “I’m still weeping, with sadness, as well as gratitude for having shared some very special moments with you and your beautiful family. You have inspired me in many ways you could never have known. Your talent was pure and unrivaled. Your voice was joy and pain, anger and forgiveness, love and heartache all wrapped up into one.”

“I pray you find peace in the next life,” he added. “I send my love to your wife and children, friends and family. Thank you for allowing me to be a part of your life.”

The two also teamed up on a professional capacity, with Cornell touring with Linkin Park in 2007 and 2008. On stage, Linkin Park would join Cornell for a version of Temple of the Dog’s “Hunger Strike,” and Cornell would join the band to collaborate on its hit “Crawling.”

Bennington was found in his Palos Verdes Estates home on Thursday morning. TMZ reports that he died of suicide by hanging.

Marketplace

1. Too young and six children left..so sad..

2. John says:

Kurt Cobain of “Nirvana”, Layne Staley and Mike Starr of “Alice in Chains”, Chris Cornell of “Soundgarden”, Chester Bennington of “Linkin Park”….and many more.

Suicide or drug overdose is becoming the fashionable way to go in the music industry.

It’s called the ‘Werther’ effect after Goethe’s classic novel.

3. Lisa says:

I know how he feels. But people around me didn’t know or care or have the capacity to understand even though they saw it before with my own cousin. It will be the fight of your life, and honestly, nobody but God will be there for you. But God wants you to stay on this earth. If I took my life, as I wanted, needed to, fifteen years ago, I would have missed out on some beautiful times. To see my daughters grow up to be such fine young women, to draw from the pain and create stories that would impact so many people. I’m glad I’m still here. I’m glad I somehow grabbed onto that small tatter of courage and hope and got better.
      So many people who survive suicide didn’t want to die, they just needed the pain to stop. Doctors and family should identify this behaviour beforehand but most don’t. You need to tell that voice in your head that wants to destroy you to shut the phuck up and that you want to live another day!

• Apoptosis says:

The archons require your existence to manifest the energy they feed off in order to exist. Positive, negative, all of it is sufficient. The archons infiltrated all forms of education, including the scripture you worship. The important thing is they need you to believe in something, anything. Religion, Science, Politics, Hedonism anything works as long as you LIVE. Live your life. The earth is a prison to harvest the most valuable resource. It is our beliefs.

The archons can cure any disease, even something like cancer which overwhelms our current technology they know how to purge malignant cells. But they put us on these prescription drugs. Those who “fail” are doped up on RX and used as examples for the rest of the population to boost the morale of those who know something is wrong in this world. They use those doubt the system and turn them into the worst thing imaginable and then redirect all doubt in all other humans. This way the population never suspects a thing. They always believe they are on the perfect path. This is the power they harvest. The belief of a next day, the belief we are doing all that we can humanly can, the belief we can do better, the belief we are living the best and be grateful.

4. pangea tingkhatra says:

Can’t believ it ..RIP

5. Lisa Marie Cross says:

When one takes their own life, was it their mind responsible, or that of their broken heart’s decision?

If the latter, some cultures believe, your heart is your spirit.

If that is true, who would wish to destroy their own soul? It could’ve been many lifetimes in the process of higher learning, karmic debts left unpaid.

And now what is to become of that soul? Will its spiritual return be free of its physical suffering or will it forever remain? Did it earn its eternal rest or did it create further work to be done?

We, left behind can’t know, but he now knows.

Taking your life seems sad and wrong … it may not have accomplished what it had intended. Greater moments may have been just beyond the hard stretch.

If you are considering such, find another resolution, put up a worthy fight for your life, for your spirit may endure a greater suffering than the physical one you thought you could no longer withstand.

Every life is here for its fulfillment of purpose, even if you cannot see it clearly, it is there. You do the very best you can as you wait for it to unfold … just like petals of a blooming flower.

6. Tony says:

May Chester Bennington rest in peace and let linkin park continue
      They brought me joy and hopefully the band linkin park doesnt end

More Music News from Variety