Vin Diesel Chokes Up While Paying Tribute to Paul Walker at CinemaCon

Fast Five Vin Diesel Paul Walker
Universal/REX/Shutterstock

Vin Diesel choked up while paying tribute to the late Paul Walker at CinemaCon on Wednesday.

He said that he decided to go forward with “The Fast and the Furious” franchise to make good on a promise Walker made that there would be an eighth chapter in the long-running series. That film, “The Fate of the Furious,” opens next month. Universal later surprised the audience by debuting the full movie.

“It was Paul Walker who promised eight,” Diesel said. “It played over and over again in my brain.”

Walker died in an automobile crash in 2013. He was 40-years old.

Related

Fate of the Furious

‘Fate of the Furious’: ‘The Game Has Changed’ in New Trailer

“Part of Paul’s legacy lives through every frame that we shoot,” Diesel said. Diesel, who has called Walker his best friend, said the actor continues to live through the characters.

“You are reminded of this angel that was so integral to this concept of brotherhood for our millennium,” Diesel said. “There’s something beautiful about that. There’s something celebratory about that.”

Fighting back tears, Diesel put a hand over his eyes.

“I always feel like he’s looking down on us so we didn’t want to let him down,” Diesel said.

Diesel wasn’t the only member of the franchise to reflect on Walker’s legacy.

“We move and operate in the memory of Paul Walker,” co-star Tyrese Gibson added.

CinemaCon is an annual exhibition industry trade show unfolding this week in Las Vegas.

Diesel said that “The Fate of the Furious” will kick off a new trilogy. Before each “Fast and Furious” movie, he said he asks himself a question.

“How do you reinvent yourself?” Diesel said. “How do you defy expectations?”

When Diesel announced in 2015 that the series would move forward, he used CinemaCon as a platform, telling theater owners that the film would be the best movie ever made.

“Hold me to that,” he said.

1. As much as I’m looking forward to Fast 8 it’s a constant reminder that Paul Walker won’t be in it in my opinion I think they should end the franchise on a high go out on top but how exactly can you end it without killing Vin Diesels character off it’s a tricky one

2. Thomas ridge says:

I hope you have more the shows are great i love you all i hope they do more in pauls memory and i hope paul is happy.amen .

3. Anon says:

Once again using Paul Walkers name to promote the Fast movies,pretty disgusting that they do that.

4. Karen says:

vin named his daughter after paul, he’s the closest to him & isn’t riding anything. He’ll never be over losing your best friend.

5. Chester says:

It was a horrible, HORRIBLE thing that happened to Paul Walker. It still upsets me to this day. I’m certainly not trying to sound insensitive with the following, but I feel like there’s a big difference between grieving a tragedy and exploiting it to get attention and make it all about yourself. To me, Vin has been doing the latter, constantly shoving the topic into interviews, singing the Wiz Khalifa song at awards shows, and generally riding the sympathy wave like Kelly Slater. He’s the only cast member who seems to constantly do this and it’s beginning to come off as very fake and forced. Most of the other cast member’s handling of what happened seems a lot more real and genuine. As far as Diesel goes, you don’t use a horrible tragedy like that to draw sympathy from audiences and try to make it all about yourself, over and over, years after the fact. Considering this has been going on for nearly four years, I’m starting to wonder how long he’ll keep doing it.

• Biz Bee says:

I don’t think he is doing it. I think he said it many times but the Paramount and the media are forcing it and quoting Vin Diesel as he is the biggest star of the frenchise. So we are only getting this impression and I also didn’t find him to be faking anything about this tragedy, the guy lost his friend, he would have to be a monster to exploit it in such a way.

6. xibit says:

they’re going to pimp him out harder and longer than a kardashian

• Jason Rowlands says:

A bit harsh. He is allowed to remember the death of his best friend and surely you must think that everytime one of these movies comes out that the first question is always going to be about “whats it like to make this without Paul.” Is he just suppose to say his dead move on?

7. Paul live through everyone including me . He was so cool and I want to be him. I grew my beard for him. Sometimes I role play and I’m Paul walker

8. Tim Justice says:

Long live in our hearts Paul Walker. You will always be remembered and loved. You’ve definitely about every character you played to life and you were perfect at it. I will miss you bro and so will everybody else you’ll never be forgotten.