Anna Faris, Eugenio Derbez to Star in ‘Overboard’ Remake With Leading Roles Reversed

Eugenio Derbez Anna Faris
Rex/Shutterstock

Anna Faris and Eugenio Derbez are starring in a remake of the romantic comedy “Overboard.”

Goldie Hawn, Kurt Russell, and Edward Herrmann starred in the 1987 original directed by Garry Marshall. Hawn played a selfish heiress who got amnesia when she fell off her yacht and Russell portrayed a carpenter who ultimately fell in love with her.

The remake will be co-directed and written by Rob Greenberg (“How I Met Your Mother”) and Bob Fisher (“We’re the Millers”). Ben Odell and Derbez will produce through their 3Pas Studios.

Related

Chuck Lorre Anna Feris 'Mom'

TCA: Chuck Lorre, Anna Faris Recall Showbiz Hurdles with ‘Mom’ Cast

MGM partnered with Pantelion Films to co-produce, co-finance, and co-distribute the film, with Lionsgate handling domestic theatrical distribution. Production stars this May in Vancouver.

The original movie will be re-imagined with a reversal of the leading roles. The story will focus on a spoiled playboy from one of Mexico’s wealthiest families, portrayed by Derbez, who falls overboard off his yacht. He’s then convinced by Faris’ single, working-class mom that he’s her husband.

Faris currently stars opposite Allison Janney in the CBS sitcom “Mom” — now in its fourth season — and launched the comedy advice podcast “Anna Faris Is Unqualified” in 2015. She will publish her comedic memoir “Unqualified” this fall.

Derbez is known to Latin American audiences for his long-running television series “La Familia P. Luche.” He starred in, directed, and produced the comedy “Instructions Not Included,” which grossed $100 million worldwide.

“The original ‘Overboard’ was beloved and the only way to bring it back is to reinvent the story in a whole new way,” said MGM Motion Picture Group President Jonathan Glickman. “Anna and Eugenio are two of the most charismatic forces in comedy whose take on the material will modernize the story for a whole new generation of moviegoers.”

Faris is represented by UTA, Anonymous Content, UTA, and attorney Robert Offer. Derbez is represented by UTA and Behr & Abramson. Fisher is represented by WME. Greenberg is represented by ICM Partners and Greenberg Glusker.

1. Greg White says:

I have the original Overboard my mom got it for me.
    I think the remake will be make a lot at the boxoffice when it comes out.

2. terry williamson says:

to bad they can’t find new stuff anymore, they have to mess up the old stuff. i will not be watching it. i liked the old one just as it was. if they can’t think of new things to do then they should close down hollywood and be done. i’d rather watch reruns.

3. Annyta says:

Can’t wait for the remake! I watched Overboard when I was a kid and then played it for my kids. We all are eagerly awaiting for the new version. We were hoping Chris Pratt would have been in it with Anna Farris a real life couple like Kurt Russel and Goldie Hawn.

4. ENOUGH WITH THE HORRIBLE REMAKES!!!!

5. susan clamp says:

This will be a bomb. No offence to the Actors. You just should not remake some movies! What is next? Gone with the wind? I will not even watch it even on Netflix. I also agree that Goldie and Kurt are still viable actors. I am sure they are horrified.

6. Corey Drysdale says:

Another movie that shouldn’t be touched. Like Ghostbusters….another “role reversal” and it BOMBED! Its like sayin your gonna remake Back to the Future or Stand by Me. Some movies just need to be left alone. I saw that there was mention of how the original movie is “beloved” by people and the only way to get it out to the “new” generation is to remake it???? What?? How about just watch the original. Leave the classics ALONE!

7. Don’t do it some movies should not be destroyed with a remake !

8. Don’t do it , some movies should not be destroyed with a remake

9. no!!! no !!! no !!!!! it’ll be horrible, they’ll try to be funny but it’ll be stupid. I think the remake should have kate hudson and matthew mcconaughey and not be cheesy

10. Can’t imagine this will be any kind of success.

11. DJ says:

Sounds like a guaranteed bomb. The original was too saccharine sweet for me with Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn being a real life couple, but that’s what made it popular. It wasn’t that it had such a great story. It’s amazing Hollywood misses the point and not cast her husband Chris Pratt. Also, reversing the roles is dumb. She supposed to convince a guy that he’s married to beautiful her?

12. Paul says:

Does anyone else hear the high pitch whistle of an incoming WWII shell? Usually ends with a loud boom. This sounds like a mushroom cloud waiting to happen. Thanks, but I think I’ll leave my money in the market.

13. This role would have been perfect for Jaime Camil. I refuse to accept it any other way.

14. Another unwanted/unneeded remake. If you listen closely, you can hear Faris’s career hitting rock bottom.

15. Erica says:

I love the original, but I’m down with a remake. Anna feels perfect…. but seriously, you aren’t casting Chris Pratt as her love interest??? The original featured a real life couple, Chris Pratt and Anna Faris are just as adorable – and the original was filmed in the Pacific Northwest, where both Faris and Pratt are from!!!

16. Dot says:

The original Overboard is a favorite of me and my family. I usually don’t like remakes however I find Anna Faris entertaining and am looking forward to seeing her in this Overboard remake with a twist. I for one am looking forward to seeing it.

17. Angela Adams says:

I was super excited until I saw that Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell aren’t even playing themselves….They are still fun, viable, and watchable people. I HATE the ideas here…switching gender roles?? why?? I like Anna, but I would prefer, as a big fan of the original, to have the original people in the re-boot.(sequel instead maybe??)

18. Doug Wagner says:

Just because you can do something doesn’t mean you should. Someone needs to stop this madness right now.

19. So what says:

Horrible idea. Overboard is perfect, and perfect for Kurt and Goldie. You people have to be stopped.

20. DougW says:

Why reverse the roles? Anna would be great as the spoiled rich girl.

21. JD says:

Hollywood is so lame. Anna Faris is no Goldie Hawn…or Kurt Russell. Does anyone even know who this other guy is?

• Spider says:

Yes, I know who this guy is. He is one of Mexico’s popular comic actors. Latinos certainly know who he is. Check out, “Instructions Not Included”; he also stars as the title character in the upcoming “How to Be a Latin Lover” opposite Salma Hayek, Rob Lowe, and Kristen Bell. One thing’s for sure: Eugenio Derbez’s star is rising in the US!

22. adam says:

Yay! Another unsolicited and unnecessary reboot! I’m sure there was no viral internet campaign to have this movie remade…..