‘Captain America’ Director Joe Johnston Boards ‘Narnia’ Revival ‘The Silver Chair’ (EXCLUSIVE)

Joe Johnston Narnia The Silver Chair
Jim Smeal/BEI/REX/Shutterstock

“Captain America: The First Avenger” helmer Joe Johnston will journey to “Narnia: The Silver Chair,” a revival of C.S. Lewis’ “Chronicles of Narnia” series.

TriStar Pictures will partner with the Mark Gordon Company, the C.S. Lewis Company, and Entertainment One on the project with Mark Gordon, Lewis’ stepson Douglas Gresham, Vincent Sieber, and Melvin Adams producing the pic. “Life of Pi” scribe David Magee adapted the script.

Related

The Chronicles Of Narnia

‘The Chronicles of Narnia’ Revival in the Works From TriStar, Mark Gordon

“Joe is a wonderful storyteller who is equally at home in the biggest franchises and the most intimate character pieces,” Gordon said. “Because C.S. Lewis’ story is iconic and epic, but also tender, personal, and emotional, he’s the perfect choice to bring ‘The Silver Chair’ to the screen.”

The “Narnia” franchise’s three films — “The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe,” “Prince Caspian,” and “The Voyage of the Dawn Treader” — have hauled nearly $1.6 billion at the worldwide box office. Disney distributed the first two films, with Fox releasing “Voyage of the Dawn Treader.”

While previous installments followed the Pevensie children, this edition centers around their cousin Eustace Scrubb, who travels to Narnia to save the kidnapped child of Prince Caspian.

The series of seven novels, published in more than 50 languages, has sold 100 million-plus copies worldwide.

Johnston — repped by Paradigm and Lawrence Rose at Gang Tyre Ramer and Brown — is no stranger to both kick-starting and reviving franchises. He is best known for directing “Jumanji,” starring Robin Williams, and stepping in for Steven Spielberg on “Jurassic Park 3.” He also directed “Captain America: The First Avenger.”

1. Patty Karber says:

When will the new Narnia movie release? I have started my grandchildren on the series and they never tire of them.

2. tlsnyder42 says:

Great choice for director. He also directed THE ROCKETEER, one of the best comic book movies of all time. All three of the movies mentioned at the end are excellent. In fact, JURASSIC PARK 3 is the best of the Jurassic Park movies in my humble opinion.

3. Alex Meyer says:

Bring back Liam Neeson as Aslan. That’s all I care about.

4. sander says:

Rowan Atkinson for Puddleglum???
    Please.

5. Joel Emmett says:

Very excited. I wish Disney had built Narnia instead of Avatar-land.

• Jason S says:

That would have been so cool and a much better fit with Disney. Could definitely see a water-based ride around the Dawn Treader and an e-ticket thrill ride thru the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. Narnia’s talking animals would have fit in nicely with Disney’s Animal Kingdom park.

6. Daniel Kuehn says:

Super excited. I can’t wait. Premier night, here I come.

7. JimG. says:

I hope they plan on reeling in the budget. The last one cost 155m and did only 415m. The 2d one cost 225m and still only grossed 415m which is why Disney bailed. The 3d film probably broke even if that; the advertising budget almost certainly kept it from profit. I’m thinking 110-125 at most if they want to make something from it. Although it’s possible that these films are being made primarily to spread Lewis’s gospel. After all the way the 2d tanked the series should have died then and there.

8. Ian Hirst says:

Will Poulter has to be in it. He made Dawn Treader and serves as continuity to what has gone before.

9. Leon says:

Are you kidding me. Are we really that out of ideas or is Americans that stupid. Either way I hate this news. I am tired of sequels and remakes. Knowing how colleges train writers to write PG-13 films now I guess we will never be creative again. Just PC and boring. Boo.

• tlsnyder42 says:

This is not a remake. This is a silly comment.

• Jacen says:

Leon, where were you when CS Lewis was writing his sequels and prequels to The Lion….? Why weren’t you complaining way back then about his lack of originality and imagination? Why didn’t you also harangue his buddy Tolkien for writing a sequel to the Hobbit? Where were you during Shakespeare’s heyday to harass him into not adapting preexisting plays, myths, and historical figures into his own works? It’s ironic that you complain about American ignorance, yet your complaint is about something that you are extremely ignorant about: sequels, remakes, and adaptations have been around for centuries, millennia even (ever hear of The Odyssey?). Get educated, then come back and say something intelligent.

• milo says:

This is neither a sequel nor a remake. The full series has never been made into films before. And I’d love to see it happen.

• Leon, it looks like your view is kind of in the minority here. Consider though that this is not so much a remake or sequel as it is the continuation of an incomplete story. This particular story has 7 chapters and they have filmed the first 3 and we fans are hopeful all 7 will come out. While its true some remakes/reboots/sequels are really unneccessary, I just don’t see this falling in that category.

• Jason S says:

I find it amusing, Leon, that your comment is full of grammatical errors, yet you are asking if Americans are that stupid. I hope you realize this series of films is based upon 7 very popular books, so it only make sense that a 4th film is being made. It’s no different than the films made adapting Harry Potter or the Hunger Games although, perhaps, you weren’t a fan of those films either.

10. The2.5thDoctor says:

I really hope they continue the continuity. Just make Eustace Scrubb a unviersity student and cast Will Poulter again. This series could make a killing forever if it was completed with quality.

• Jason S says:

I’m in total agreement. I’d definitely prefer they keep continuity with the previous films and cast Will Poulter again in the role. Ben Barnes could also play Caspian again although, if they stay strictly true to the book, he is only present as an old, aged king.

• Jason S says:

Thanks for the correction, Chris. Been a while since I’ve read the books, so had forgotten about that part.

• Chris Hendricks says:

Technically, Caspian does appear as a younger child at the very end of the book.

Oh. Um… spoilers. Oops.

11. NIGEL ARCHER says:

Finally! Let’s hope this is a success and they do Magician’s Nephew next. :-)

• Jason S says:

I certainly hope it’s a hit, too! I’d love to see them finish adapting all the books. Personally, I’ve always enjoyed The Horse and His Boy and would be overjoyed to see an adaption of that book hit the silver screen.

• tlsnyder42 says:

That book is kind of politically incorrect. The bad guys are clearly Muslims and Ottoman Turks in the series, even though one of the Muslim characters commits to Aslan in the last book.