Meryl Streep to Donald Trump: I Am the ‘Most Overrated’ Actress

Meryl Streep Cecil B. DeMille Award
Lullaby Pictures/REX/Shutterstock

Meryl Streep for president?

The Oscar-winning actress turned in a barn-burner of a speech Saturday night at a fundraiser for the Human Rights Campaign, assailing Donald Trump as bellicose and thin-skinned, mounting a rousing defense of LGBTQ freedoms, and bucking up a crowd that might have been otherwise dejected by America’s rightward turn towards conservatism. Streep argued that Trump’s election imperils gay rights, women’s rights, and other civil rights.

“If you think people got mad when they thought the government was coming after their guns, wait until they come and try to take away our happiness,” Streep said to a two-minute long standing ovation.

“We’re not going to go back to the bad old days of ignorance and oppression and hiding who we are,” she added.

As tears welled up and her voice cracked under the strain of the emotion, Streep said, “We owe it to the people who have died for our rights, and who have died before they even got their own.”

Streep, who received the gay rights organization’s Ally for Equality Award, said that critics of the new president have one thing to be grateful for.

“If we live through this precarious moment,” she said. “If [Trump’s] catastrophic instinct to retaliate doesn’t lead us to nuclear winter, we will have much to thank our current leader for. He will have woken us up to how fragile freedom is.”

At this year’s Golden Globes ceremony, Streep, while accepting a lifetime achievement award, delivered a blistering condemnation of Trump’s imitation of a reporter with disabilities. Without naming the president, Streep said that moment reminded her that “disrespect invites disrespect.” Trump later lashed out on Twitter, calling Streep an overrated actress. Once again, the two found common-ground.

“I am the most overrated and most over-decorated and currently — currently — I am the most over-berated actor…of my generation,” Streep said at the HRC dinner.

The dinner also honored comedian Seth Meyers and the cast and filmmaking team behind “Moonlight.”

Streep used her time at the dais to reflect on gay and transgender teachers who helped foster her love of the arts and of theater. At one point, she broke in song to treat the audience at the New York City gala to a rendition of the Emma Lazarus sonnet that lies at the base of the statue of liberty, saying the words were taught to her by a transgender teacher during a field trip.

Streep closed her speech with a call to arms for the people who may feel dispossessed and upset over Trump’s election.

“We have the right to live our lives, with God or without, as we choose,” Streep said. “There is a prohibition against the establishment of a state religion in our constitution, and we have the right to choose with whom we live, whom we love, and who and what gets to interfere with our bodies. As Americans, men, women, people, gay, straight, LGBTG. All of us have the human right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.”

1. Roy says:

President Trump has a secret weapon he’s called Jesus Christ and at the moment California is getting the wrath of Our Lord for their self-righteous loathing of our president who is supported by our Lord

• Steve says:

My God doesn’t harm people because of disagreement with their political opinions. I don’t know why you think that Jesus Christ is that petty.

2. Roy says:

If she’s not a hack if she’s not a liar if she’s not trolling to boost her popularity if she’s not drooling over the Obama regime why has none of her fellow actresses and actors came out to defend her I’ve heard literally nobody but a few nobody’s that don’t have a career to lose if she’s all that and a box of cookies too what’s going on here why is nobody defending this piece of trash just curious

3. Sandra Jacobs says:

How about using all the money spent by you hollywood people on dinners, fancy clothes and awards to help the people you profess to love so much. Hypocrite.

• Steve says:

She does that. She just doesn’t talk about it. If she did, you folks would slam her for bragging. Most Hollywood stars give generously to charity.

4. Carol Krogstad says:

You are an excellent actress, and I have enjoyed watching your movies, HOWEVER, I really do not care what you think about politics. nor do I want to listen to your tirade. Just because the candidate you wanted lost the election, grow up, pull up your big girl panties and respect the OFFICE, you do not have to like the person in that chair, but have a little respect for the office, we are all AMERICANS. I love America.

5. whitney says:

Take a pause, accent-queen. It’s amazing that anyone would care what an elitist, 1%er snob actress has to say? If you’re a smart adult, you don’t.

6. I. Hawkins says:

Ms Streep you need your head examined.
    We the deplorable made you rich.

7. Trump is an awful human being with no respect for anyone who disagrees with him. That simple fact is all anyone needs to know about him and Streep along with the 74 million people that voted against him understand this only too well. It’s just too bad that many of the 63 million who voted for him are just finding this out.

8. Don Deisher says:

Meryl Streep is another Actress that thinks she is a God or something better than the rest of humans. You have your thoughts and your options which does not mean their correct. If you have any other thoughts please use twitter or facebook not the TV like normal people.

9. David Kaplan says:

Dear Hollywood celebrities and actors you only have a place in my world to entertain me. That’s it.

You make your living pretending to be someone else. Playing dress up like a 6 year old. You live in a make believe world in front of a camera – and often when you are away from one, too. Your entire existence depends on my patronage.

I’ll crank the organ grinder; you dance.

I don’t really care where you stand on issues. You see, you aren’t real. I turn off my TV or shut down my computer and you cease to exist in my world. Once I am done with you, I can put you back in your little box until I want you to entertain me again. I hope you realize that the only words of yours that matter are scripted. In my world, you exist solely for my entertainment.

So, shut your word hole and dance, monkey!”

• sure jan says:

The “world” of one so pitifully small-minded must surely be equally tiny, pathetic, dull, and miserable. Everyone has the right to express their views, regardless of their jobs/careers or whatever else they do. No one’s demanding that you agree with everything they say; I don’t do so, entirely. But the notion that someone should shut up because you disagree with what you’re hearing and don’t value their opinion–what?? Meryl & co. don’t agree with you and couldn’t care less about your opinion; guess you’ve got to shut it. =D

• Troll Hunter says:

Yet, idiots like you went ahead and put the worst actor on TV as your president.

• K Jacks says:

Exactly! I don’t need a “Actress” telling me anything about real life, much less shaking her finger when she is preaching at me!

• Steve says:

Yeah, people addicted to the Anti-Celebrity Butthurt Narrative have been cutting and pasting this asinine little screed for awhile now. It just makes you look silly.

10. To all the Trolls who don’t like what Meryl has said – and she has spoken for MANY – Let us never forget that our ancestors came to this country to escape religious persecution. Our Democracy is built on tolerance and not your idea of what is moral or not. So knock it off on the Godless crap. As my auntie, who was a Sister of Providence for over 75 years, said: “People who mind other people’s business have no business.”

11. American says:

Here’s another subversive Socialist Communist would prefer our country to be Godless. Foolish and detrimental 4 Hour future. No hitting the emotional vainglorious diatribe that comes out of these people’s mouths who pretend they have been harmed in some way by the notion that there is such a thing as right androm Good and Evil. Instead mystery on her like would prefer to Rally behind the concept of a world where all things are relative. Hell-bent on feminist rights Muslim rights wow speaking with contempt 4 any and all who have their spiritual lives based in a Christian judeo faith. Marxism seems to be very alive and well in America. The universities I’m the schools which are advocates for the socialistic Marxist Drake have done much to harm this country. Including the product that the Hollywood conglomerates Finance and perpetuate so much Darkness perversion and sickness. It’s all very tragic.

• Abby says:

When you stand before God can you say you stood up for the poor, needy abused marginalized? I know I can and I believe by her standing up to this evil person she is doing exactly what God has asked of us all. So good luck with your vile rubbish because only God can judge yet you seem to think you are better than Gods laws. Shame on you and may God have mercy on your soul for the diatribe you are espousing

12. LG Pepper says:

So Trump can speak, tweet and put forward ANY thought or Lie that comes into his brain completely devoid of FACTS but Meryl is the bad guy for speaking out about EQUAL RIGHTS???????

13. Meryl if you are to speech out if the oppressed speak out for all !! Look to the bible and what God’s word on the Alien. To be totally in the truth look to what was done in Jesus day and what sanctuary citys are doing!

14. DeLaney says:

No matter if we get knocked down for our opinions, we all have to continue to speak our minds. If not, oppression wins. We have come way too far for that to happen.

15. Shandy says:

In a less stupid world, Meryl would be president.

16. Holli Hargis says:

A “barn burner of a speech” wtf is that. You liberals cant think of anything without attacking or destroying someone else property. The first paragraph is one sentence and it is just a barrage of talk senseless. Read the second paragraph and if you have half a brain you know it is liberal bs. If you actually think that YOU are fighting for our happiness then your job is done.

17. Cindy says:

Meryl Streep needs a Set-Down, too big for her britches. Soooo disappointed in her; was mistaken that she was classy, not.

18. L Conklin says:

Truly clueless spoiled overrated disrespectful hag that should learn to glue those lips together before SHE loses her audience. I will, NEVER pay to see her again!

19. Lisa says:

Still waiting for all of the celebs to leave 😴

• Bryan says:

They cannot leave fast enough to suit me, Lisa. Apparently, some like Joe believe people cannot live without television and motion pictures. It would likely shock them to learn people actually read books and shared time & stories with family & friends at the dinner table, among other things before the age of television, et al.

• Joe says:

But then what tv and movies would you watch? Fox News 24/7 gets very boring very fast. And is very bad for the brain.

20. Don Coxe says:

You’re among many so-called celebrities who repeatedly abuse their platform by condescendingly espousing their Leftist brand of politics that otherwise would not be given any attention in the public square. Your views are indeed in the minority and there it shall remain. It’s safe to say any forthcoming project of yours Will rightfully suffer miserably at the box office in keeping with most Hollywood productions today.

• Peter says:

I would be very grateful if you would offer a reasoned explanation of why any individuals within society should be treated as less than any others. Is equal treatment a “Leftist brand of politics” or enshrined in the Constitution?

• arlene clarke says:

Even her talking about a transgenders and gays fostering her “love of the arts”…..dah, Meryl, sounds condescending to me, you shouldn’t have to mention what people are…..kind of like mentioning that “my best friend is black”….love people for who they are….not the awareness of what they are.

• Joe says:

lol, yeah right. Don’t worry, Don, she doesn’t want your ignorant $10.

21. Fascinating that the same peopl eso upset over Meryl Streep …the people who think entertainers should shut up and stay clear of politics, voted for a reality TV star with no political experience and a shoddy business record to boot. 5,000 lawsuits, not paying contractors and workers….and you want to hear from HIM! Funny.

• Holli Hargis says:

Nice try you dumb bitch. He is a business man and that was one piddally ass piece o

• Jay says:

Bet You are Not Laughing at your rapidly deteriorating political party. It has been reduced to a coastal party at best & most political analysts see no end in reaching its effective demise.

• Alan Carter says:

We don’t have to cheat to win. We don’t have to voter suppress to win, or work with the Russians or count on sexism to win. We also won by 3 million votes. How many people are already humping ship from the Trump administration, an oxymoron if I’ve ever heard on. The few people confirmed like Ben Carson and Betsy De Vos and Jeff Sessions are all SNL punchlines…for good reason. Dont count the Dems out just yet.

• Joe says:

Bryan is clearly delusional. The “voter fraud” has long been debunked. Unless of course, he can prove it to me? Maybe it is time for Bryan to get honest with himself. Pathetic.

• Bryan says:

Joe’s ignorance & gullibility conveniently omits the Long practiced demorat tradition of voter fraud the extent of which will soon be presented to the American people & once again refute another demorat lie.

• Joe says:

3 million more votes, Little Man. Unfortunately gerrymandering screwed things up because of the actions of corrupt republicans, but things will get better!

22. Chris Clay says:

Sorry Meryl, love you but NOT what you’re doing now. Time to STFU!!!

23. Warren Bess says:

I want Ms. Streep to know I will never again watch any performance she is involved, from voice over annimations to on camera. I am one, I realize… but I can not imagine I am alone.

• Joe says:

She couldn’t care less about you. And rightfully so.

• Don says:

You’re indeed Not alone, Warren. A reckoning is imminent & rest assured we Will be vindicated.

• Jay says:

Do you practice at being an idiot, Steve, or is it a congenital condition? The last eight years has been nothing short of an attempt by the Far Left to subvert our form of government and way of life directed from the highest office in the land. Fully one-seventh of the American economy that Was our health care system was effectively turned on its proverbial ear in a deliberately deceptive full throttle move to take the USA to single payer/socialized medicine, among many other travesties of the American way of life attempted over that period. You & your kind will Not prevail. Your politics are more suited to countries in Europe & you should pack it up and permanently relocate there.

• Steve says:

Reckoning? Why don’t you just accept that some people disagree with your political opinions?

24. John Bagadonuts says:

She speaks of “those who died for our rights and those that died before they received them. Is she speaking about the 1.4 million children that are aborted each year in this country? I doubt it. That’s 700,000 girls killed each year. Hippocrits.

• Jack says:

Hit them where it hurts the most, in their wallets. Boycott the productions of the Far Left Loons of Hollywood.

• Guidette says:

Because you care so much about girls? Please give me a break. I thought people like you just didn’t want the government to pay for abortions. Now you just don’t want them to be performed at all? Guess what, since you are a man, you don’t have a say.

25. Tom Smith says:

I wouldn’t watch these political hacks and blowhards if the grammy’s were the only thing on TV. I have had it with these talking hairdos and their political disinformation. They need to shut their pie holes and do what they do best without any political commentary. Never in the history of the world have so many high priced clothes hung on so many low budget people as in Hollywood.

26. Dennis says:

Want a bimbo

27. john says:

your a has been or never been just some actress go away

28. Kas Deddens says:

Meryl Streep is right on the mark!! I would feel much safer if she was making the decisions!!!! Mr. Trump’s behavior reminds me of a spoiled brat!!! Our forefathers are turning in their graves!!

• Tom Smith says:

Meryl Streep needs to just act and quite talking politics, which seems to be her god/idol these days. I guess Trump lives rent free in what she thinks is a brain. If she thinks Hollywood was vilified before, she hasn’t seen anything yet. There is a growing consensus that Hollywood can go straight o hell. I quit going to movies a couple years ago and I quit watching television because I won’t patronize these Hollywood Marxists whose cacophony of bombast is only exceeded by their political disinformation. If you and Hollywood don’t like it–please leave and don’t let the door hit you on the way out.

29. Margreat says:

What happened to Meryl Streep

30. Mkablesh@aol.com says:

Why don’t you and all your Hollywood friends go to some other country where you can be happy and so will we and take the Obama with you

31. Stephen says:

stick with acting; you’re an old woman who thinks you have something worthwhile to say. You have never created a job; You are an actor. Where was your outrage for all the scandals committed by obama? Obviously, you are a socialist. I for one, will no longer support any of your movies. I hope many, in kind, will do the same.

• Joe says:

Stephen stick with keeping quiet. Thank goodness we have wonderful people like Meryl to help deliver these important messages. You should be thanking her.

• Linda says:

Stephen…So, just what were those scandals committed by President Barack Obama? You know darn well that there weren’t any…Obviously, I am a Socialist…and proud to call myself someone who cares about SOCIETY…do you get the connection ? NO ?? I am not surprised…

32. Jim says:

Please cite where there is a prohibition against the establishment of a state religion in the Constitution of the United States.

• “The National Government will therefore regard it as its first and supreme task to restore to our people unity of mind and will. It will preserve and defend the foundations on which the strength of our nation rests. It will take under its firm protection Christianity as the basis of our morality, and the family as the nucleus of our nation and our state.”

No, it was’t Thomas Jefferson, nor Alexander Hamilton, nor James Madison either. Benjamin Franklin, no way.

No, it was Adolf Hitler, the founding father of Nazi Germany, from his first radio speech to the German people, in his newly appointed position as Reich Chancellor, on January 31, 1933.

• Jeanne says:

The First Amendment covers it. “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.” You’re welcome.

• David Jarrett says:

1st amendment:

33. Steve Gellepes says:

Hollywood limousine Liberals are the absolute worst. I love how she is about peace and love and let all the poor immigrants in, meanwhile she has to be worth fifty million dollars, doesn’t shop or drive herself, lives in a gated compound with security. Come live in the real world Meryl, see if it’s all about Kumbaya and holding hands.

34. raisin212k says:

Hey, remember when Donald Trump was talking about male modeling in the movie Zoolander? And still, most of “the Donald”‘s constituents act the way Carlton did when Trump had a cameo on the Fresh Prince…

35. Kim james says:

All Hollywood people are dumber than a post. Just because they are Hollywood doesn’t mean they are experts in any thing. She is dumber than a post. Just wants the camera, of course the edits is happeappy to give her time. She is just making a fool of herself.

• rarouff says:

Streep is a Vassar and Yale grad. She is highly intelligent, which one has to be to perform the classics, as well as contemporary drama. She has also donated a million dollars a year to Vassar. I know because I have gotten the alumnae(i) reports.

• Just your opinion….not the thousands who think otherwise. Our President is the one making a fool of himself. Twitter that!!!

• She’s not nearly as dumb as you wish, with that insipid comment you just made. It’s the Trump supporters who aren’t all that bright, and by the end of this four years, you’ll going to find yourself the butt of a lot of incisive jokes. It’s going to be a tough four years for you, when all of these clearly intelligent people analyze the man you put into office — as an extension of your own petty spites — to reveal him for the sloped-skull-pandering showman he is.

36. repoman2009 says:

There’s an old show biz saying, “always leave them wanting more.” The Trump tirades are just getting old and old hat. It has now become white noise courtesy of doing it again and again and again.

37. James Ginter says:

Streep. Birds of a feather flock together. She is an actress and no intellectual giant. So many in the entertainment business are so emotional and slow on reasoning. Let her say the same to the Border guards in our southern states.She would be booed off the stage. So most in this country who despise Trump will love this stuff. But 50% of the country will not.

• Joe says:

Time to educate yourself, Bro. You just sound foolish. Best you keep quiet.

• So many in the entertainment business are so emotional and slow on reasoning.

That’s what Rush Limbaugh tells you, and Breitbart, but that’s simply not true. They’re more than likely better educated than you — if you were better educated, you wouldn’t be making such an absurd assumption about people who came from just about every walk of life — and her observations are delivered with deliberate reasoning.

And you exaggerate your own significance. Most of the country who listens to this stuff will see it for what it is, the measured opinion of an incredibly successful actress, who expressing a commitment to higher ideals. Most of the Trump supporters will hate her, and love hating her. But I wouldn’t put too much faith in how much you really represent.

• jeffrey says:

Hitchcock rightly said, “I think all actors are cattle.” Streep proves him correct. It is her left-side that are the totally intolerant Brownshirts and anti-free-speech.
      Does she not realize Sharia law will force female actors into burqas and toss 98% of male actors from tall buildings? Then what will happen to Hollywood?

38. Todd says:

Words are easy, actions much less so.

39. Marymary says:

Meryl is a true American hero

40. Dana says:

Meryl Streep, you are amazing!

41. Tina says:

Liberals= no regard for laws!

42. Sherry Hodges says:

Bipolar disorder, delusions of grandeur, feeling that they are smarter and more important than others, narcissism listed as a mental disorder

43. Jack Thompson says:

She is wonderful. Bravo Meryl.

44. speakeasy25 says:

Profound, surreal irony: People who elected a B-list television host mewling about how celebrities shouldn’t get involved with politics.

45. Jacques Strappe says:

Reading all the vulgar hate and rage in the comments tells me that Drudge and Breibart have provided a link to this variety article in their alternative facts websites brimming with turds of Nazi nostalgia and KKK kisses. Sad

• Kaboom! says:

So we can all assume you voted twice for obama and hillary. Thanks for your hate. Go back to CBS, NBC, ABC, CNN, and MSNBC.

46. Robin Racine says:

They are killing their brands, I agree with this Open Letter to Hollywood and Music Artists: http://www.americaspeaksink.com/2017/01/open-letter-to-hollywood-and-music-artists/

47. I think it is a sad state of affairs that rather than get behind our fairly elected president, stars like this bitch do everything in their power to create sedition, and harm. Who the hell goes this woman think she or ANY of these hollywood perverts think they are. Okay, I get it, they don’t like him. But that is too damn bad, HE IS OUR PRESIDENT! they can scream all day that he ISN”T, but to me that shows that they live outside of reality. Do they really think that WE THE PEOPLE really care what they think? I believe that most of this countries people see these stars as I do. People that got lucky and made it in this corrupt industry. made their millions and now think that because they are rolling in dough their voice is MORE inportant than the people that literally make their paychecks. BOO! BOO to you Ms. STREEP! shut your mouth and act. OR ARE YOU BEING PAID BY SOROS TO BE HIS MOUTHPIECE?

• Mom says:

I think it’s a sad state of affairs that we have a malignant narcissist as our POTUS, but hey, we’re all entitled to our opinions.

• Dunstan says:

Mickey, I hate to break it to you but we all have the right to speak out and protest and condemn the deranged actions of Donald Trump. He lost the popular vote by nearly three million – and no, there was no voter fraud. That’s been investigated multiple times.

Your own bizarre criticisms and rambling statements show you’re out of touch with reality. Meryl Streep is allowed to express her opinion no matter how much you disagree with it. And no, she doesn’t need George Soros’s money; she’s got enough of her own. She worked hard for it and earned it.

The sad state of affairs here is that you think she should “shut your mouth and act.”

Wrong, Mickey. She can speak up whenever the opportunity presents itself.

By the way, you might want to work on your grammar and syntax and spelling; it’s pretty deplorable.

48. Hollywood has officially bottomed out! Get to rehab, woman.

49. Paul G. Kosky says:

I love you wackadoo lefties who supported a criminal. When the Clintons left the White House they had to returned about $48,000 in furniture, and they paid the government about $86,000 for other items that they took when the left. They or their staff disabled the “W” on most of the computers, and defaced the walls and furniture the deemed not of enough value to take.
    Hillary Clinton kept about $38,000 worth of goods given to her in December 2000. That was after she won her Senate race in New York, but before she took office, at which point accepting such gifts would have violated Senate rules. Hilary Clinton created a gift registry at Borsheim’s Fine Jewelry and Gifts to help pick out proper gratuities. This yielded 16 rimmed soup bowls worth $2,352 and a soup tureen worth $1,365, among other items.
    Bill Clinton, President of the United States, was impeached by the House of Representatives on December 19, 1998, and acquitted by the Senate on February 12, 1999. The charges, perjury, obstruction of justice, and malfeasance in office, arose from the Monica Lewinsky scandal and the Paula Jones lawsuit. Bill Clinton is a sexual predator and Hillary is a fascinator. Nice people.
    Try looking at the Clinton Foundation. Nearly $110 million was paid out in the form of salaries and benefits while $25 million went towards travel expenses. Almost 60 percent of the organization’s disclosed revenue — or $290 million — was listed under the category of “other expenses.”

The Clintons seem to have siphoned off hundreds of millions in salaries, travel, benefits and other benefits.

That pattern continued into 2013, The Post notes. Of the $140 million in money the Clinton Foundation received in 2013, only $9 million was given out as charity to other groups.

50. Robin Iveson says:

Right on. Your words and emotion behind them are powerful. Keep it up. We need people like you who are not afraid to speak out.