Leonardo DiCaprio, Martin Scorsese Teaming Up Again for New Movie (EXCLUSIVE)

Martin Scorsese Leonardo DiCaprio
Appian Way/Paramount/Kobal/REX/Shutterstock

ROME — Martin Scorsese and Leonardo DiCaprio are developing a film adaptation of true-crime thriller “Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI” as the director’s next project after “The Irishman.”

Scorsese’s longtime production designer, Dante Ferretti, told Variety that Scorsese hoped to start shooting “Flower Moon” in the spring of next year. The project is based on the bestselling book by David Grann, a staff writer for the New Yorker and author of “The Lost City of Z.”

Rights to “Flower Moon” were snapped up by Imperative last year for a reported $5 million, and a script has reportedly been drafted by veteran Oscar-winning scribe Eric Roth (“Forrest Gump,” “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button”).

Ferretti, who has worked with Scorsese on nine movies from “The Age of Innocence” through “Silence,” said he was going to “go to Oklahoma” to do preliminary location scouting for “Flower Moon.” The story, set in the 1920s, focuses on a string of murders of members of the Osage nation in Oklahoma after oil was discovered beneath their land. The chilling series of slayings was one of the fledgling FBI’s first major homicide investigations.

Scorsese and DiCaprio have been eyeing the project for months, and are developing it together with Dan Friedkin and Bradley Thomas, co-founders of Imperative Entertainment.

John Atwood, Imperative’s chief financial officer, said in an e-mail that “we are currently conducting preliminary research on the film, but there are no formal attachments nor confirmed start date at this time.”

Ferretti said that “the whole 1920s world of the Indians who lived there needs to be reconstructed” for “Flower Moon,” adding that he expects to “start preparing this film in September, because Scorsese will shoot it immediately after finishing ‘The Irishman.’”

Scorsese is currently getting ready for an early September shoot on “The Irishman,” a gangster movie centered on the life of mob hit-man Frank “The Irishman” Sheeran, played by Robert De Niro. Several sources have confirmed that “The Irishman” will be financed by Netflix, though the deal has yet to be officially announced.

There is no word whether Netflix would give “The Irishman” a wide theatrical release, but “I don’t think Martin would accept the fact that one of his movies would just be seen on a small screen and not in movie theaters,” said Ferretti, who is not working on the film.

The triple-Oscar-winning production designer recently completed work on his first rock musical, “Divo Nerone,” staged in a unique open-air venue atop the Palatine Hill in the ancient Roman Forum, with a rotating proscenium and 28 scene changes. Although the show was mostly panned by Italian media and has been temporarily shut down after nuns in a nearby monastery complained about its high decibel levels, Ferretti noted that “critics praised the set design and costumes,” which were created by his wife and working partner, Francesca Lo Schiavo. The pair was recently honored by the American Academy in Rome with its McKim Medal.

Ferretti and Lo Schiavo also recently designed the set for Mozart’s “Don Giovanni,” which opened the Spoleto Festival in June – “my third opera there in three consecutive years,” he said.

1. Rebecca says:

My family has lived in Osage County for many generations– and in fact still live in & own property in the Osage Reservation. My home is over 100 years old and was initially built by an Osage woman named Ethyl Avant (our town’s namesake, as the town was built on her family’s Osage Allotment). It was bought by my family in the early 1940’s, from our grandfather who traveled here by rail to work the oil fields, after working as a cowboy in his home state of Texas.
    Surely everyone in our county, especially those who’ve lived here many years, know well this story about the plight of the Osage tribe and their history. It is sickeningly astonishing, to say the very least– a history of abuse, the likes of which would never be tolerated towards any race today. I encourage anyone to check into this story– if nothing more than for the knowledge of what took place– Regardless of where you stand on the makings of this film, or its participants.

2. Ruby Mumber says:

Excellent true story — loved the book!!! I can only hope that Hollywood will treat the Osage Indians, Mollie Burkhart and especially Tom White with the respect they most certainly do deserve. Fascinating book and I’m very happy to hear that Scorsese and DiCaprio are giving this piece of history the attention it deserves.

• Sane Jane says:

Ruby Mumber, I agree! This is an important part of history that needs to be spotlighted. Leo and Marty will do an amazing job.

3. Bill B. says:

Will it be 3 to 3 1/2 hours long as usual?! I’ve stopped seeing his films. He seems like a nice man & he is certainly very talented, but he seems to be in love with every shot he films. I’m not.

4. IT--II--IT says:

The INTEL RUN Hollywood franchise slum with its decades stale LATEST in ‘on board’

– —- BULLLLLLEH – – – –

5. People who make movies goes where ever the “green light” glows.

6. sillyotter says:

It’s both hilarious and pathetic how many conservative nuts feel compelled to troll Variety threads. As much as trolls hate the entertainment industry I wonder why they bother giving Variety the page views just to let everyone know. We won’t see me clicking on the Fox Propaganda website.

• Do As I Say, Not As I Do... says:

If we asked you to stop commenting on fake news stories about Trump…would YOU stop? This is culture war, baby: we’re not going anywhere until it’s over.

• Gene Bivins says:

Calling something “fake news” doesn’t make it so, especially when you call it that just because you disagree with it. That’s now just another political ploy that means nothing in real life.

7. Tom says:

Boycott these far left nut jobs!

8. Dalton says:

Oh for chrissake. This is next after “The Irishman”? I’m now convinced I won’t live long enough to see a film version of “The Devil In the White City”.

• JimG says:

I’d imagine the main problem for White City is the White City. FX being what they are I’d still rather see it completely built in all its glory. And I’d imagine Marty and Leo want that to. But can the story withstand such a budget. I truly hope it gets made, but profitability will probably keep it from ever being made.

• Ugh, thank you for reminding of that title. I was racking my brain trying to recall that project, which I haven’t heard much about lately. I do hope that films too, as it interested me quite a bit. Let’s hope that it’s just struggling to formulate but it’ll be in commission after these other 2 films are completed. (And if not via Scorsese/DiCaprio, I can think of a few other director/actor combinations that would likely do it justice in development.)

9. Fedup says:

A movie i’ll be sure to skip.

10. christopher says:

I can’t wait to not see it.

11. Slippy says:

They won’t have to try very hard to out-doosh themselves again.

12. demsarecommunists says:

NOT going to a dicaprio movie of any kind.

• Do As I Say, Not As I Do... says:

Well, in this case you don’t need to: just watch Mervyn Le Roy’s The FBI Story, with James Stewart. They covered it there. Nicely done, and Stewart was a real American, not some pantywaist Hollyweird liberal lecturing us on how to live our lives. Bugger off, Leo and Marty!

13. SerfCityHereWeCome says:

Let me guess– a “revised and updated” so-called “documentary” on the “real” cause of the Titanic’s sinking…melted hull plates caused by the superheated North Atlantic skyrocketing by 50,000 degrees that week in anticipation of the election of President Donald Trump 7 months later in November of 1912.

14. TeachEm2Think says:

Do whatever you want, Marty and Leo, but you two bozos will never see a penny from me — for many of the reasons so eloquently stated by others commenting here. Not. A. Penny.

15. SalULloyd says:

i read about this book. Love the title.

16. Keith Diggs says:

I WILL NOT SEE ANY MOVIE WITH EITHER ROBERT DENIRO OR LEONARDO DICAPRIO IN THEM. These nasty pos” will not insult my beliefs and then receive my money! NO SIR!

17. Disgusting Fatbody says:

NOPE

18. BC says:

Great. Maybe DiCaprio can visit towns in Oklahoma like Cherokee, Alva, and Wanoka. There he’ll see the men and women responsible for drilling, fracking, and transporting the oil he gobbles up in his jets, boats, and limousines. What a putz. Won’t be seeing this movie or any other movie that hypocrite is affiliated with.

• Unknown says:

First off, you wouldn’t be able to get near him as his bodyguards would take you out swiftly before you could do anything. Secondly, if you did “break his jaw”? You be going to jail for assault & battery, sued up the @$$ by his representatives & by the company you work for which you would be paying off for the rest of your life, lose your job in the process & struggle to find new employment as well. If anything, you make the news but the long term results would make you the bonafide loser in the end. But then again, you don’t seem bright to begin with.

19. LOL says:

Gosh, that The Irishman movie sounds so rad. It’s like a dream project coming to fruition.

It sounds like the final ride for a troupe of American greats.

20. Jo mama says:

WHat’s it going to be called ?” How I suck down jet fuel while telling everyone else its bad”

21. Kelly Warboys says:

What happened to Devil in The White City adaptation??!!!

22. MysterE says:

Whatever happened to the Hyperion Cantos?

23. Phil says:

Whatever happened to The Devil in the White City project?

• Unknown says:

It’s still in development. Scorsese & DiCaprio are still attached to do the project though. DiCaprio stated that he didn’t believe the project would happen until no earlier than the year 2020 because of other projects that are further along.

• George says:

I would be more excited about “The Devil in the White City”, too. It’s a unique serial killer story.
        But waiting a few years might pay off: It will need expensive F/X and Leo’s character was older than he is now…