Kevin Spacey Is Nearly Unrecognizable as J. Paul Getty in First ‘All the Money in the World’ Trailer

All the Money in the World
Screenshot/YouTube

“Get it from your father-in-law — he has all the money in the world.”

That’s the instruction from a kidnapper in the first trailer for Sony’s “All the Money in the World,” the story of the 1973 kidnap in Italy of  John Paul Getty III — the rebellious teenage grandson of oil billionaire John Paul Getty, who was reluctant to pay the $17 million ransom demanded by the kidnappers. Kevin Spacey plays Getty.

Asked by a member of the press how much he’d pay, a nearly unrecognizable Spacey responds, “Nothing.”

Michelle Williams plays the part of Gail Harris, the mother of John Paul Getty III, and Mark Wahlberg plays Getty’s adviser.

“I’m not a real Getty, I just married one,” she tells Wahlberg.

The trailer has the music to the Zombies’ 1968 hit “Time of the Season,” which includes the lyrics “What’s your name? Who’s your daddy? Is he rich like me?”

The kidnappers sent a lock of hair and the teen’s severed right ear to the family to convince them pay the ransom. Harris and the boy’s father eventually convinced the elder Getty to pay a $2.9 million ransom, resulting in the teenager being freed after six months. He had been chained to a stake in a cave in Italy.

Ridley Scott directed “All the Money in the World” from a David Scarpa script. The movie opens Dec. 8.

Watch the trailer below:

1. millerfilm says:

Awkward makeup job. Dick Smith was the king of aging actors faces. Since he’s been gone, most of these attempts look too overdone and plasticy.

2. DougW says:

In the trailer they hold so long on that first shot of Spacey I thought maybe the video had frozen.

3. So what says:

Stop putting Wahlberg in films. Stop it.

4. Bobby Ern says:

I was unrecognizable to myself

5. Donald says:

This is one of the best trailers I’ve ever seen…just perfect. The pacing, the music, the V.O., the tone, the acting…if the movie is as good, it’s an Oscar contender.

The Getty story is quite amazing and made world news decades ago.

I don’t think some movies like “Blue Velvet” would be the same without it…

The Getty case was probably the reason, why David Lynch hired his son Balthazar for “Lost Highway”?

And Scott cast him in “White Squall”, so he knows the story first-hand.

6. I’m not sure how I feel about this one yet. It looks a bit generic, albeit lavishly so. I question the screenplay based on some bits of dialogue in the trailer. It’ll depend how that all comes together. Love Michelle Williams, but if she’s indeed lead, I don’t see her making headway in the Actress race this year. (Don’t worry, I have a hunch she could win if the Janis Joplin biopic is any good!) And Wahlberg is just there, as usual.

Meanwhile, Kevin Spacey. It’s hard to estimate on his chances, but I suspect he has the type of role that *could* get a nomination. Maybe. Unless it lacks ample screen time and meaty lines. One thing’s for sure, that Makeup department did their job. He looks more like J. Paul Gollum, quite frankly! But it sorta works. Anyway, this doesn’t seem like Ridley Scott’s long overdue Oscar winner, how sad. Don’t even really see him getting a nomination for this. But I’m interested to check it out and see if the trailer undersold it. Which it probably did to a degree, but it wouldn’t be the first time a prestige project like this disappointed.

7. MovieBabble says:

Wow! The prosthetics look amazing! Sometimes, when done incorrectly, they can really take me out of a film.