Jamie Lee Curtis Returning for ‘Halloween’ Reboot

Jamie Lee Curtis Halloween
Courtesy of Universal Pictures

Jamie Lee Curtis is returning to play the iconic Laurie Strode in the “Halloween” franchise.

Universal Pictures also set Oct. 19, 2018, as the release date for what it’s calling the final film in the “Halloween” series.

The horror movie is being produced by Trancas International Films, Blumhouse Productions, and Miramax.

Curtis’ character will have a final confrontation with Michael Myers, the masked figure who has haunted her since she narrowly escaped his killing spree on Halloween night four decades ago.

John Carpenter will executive produce and serve as creative consultant on this film, joining leading horror producer Jason Blum, who’s behind “Get Out,” “Split,” and “The Purge” and “Paranormal Activity” franchises.

David Gordon Green is directing from a script he co-wrote with Danny McBride. Malek Akkad, whose Trancas International Films has produced the series since its inception, will produce. Green and McBride will executive produce under their Rough House Pictures banner. Green’s directing credits include “Pineapple Express” and “Our Brand Is Crisis.”

Carpenter came on board the project in May 2016. The “Halloween” film franchise was launched by Carpenter and Moustapha Akkad in 1978, and has led to 10 films that have grossed nearly $400 million worldwide.

Carpenter said at the time, “38 years after the original ‘Halloween,’ I’m going to help to try to make the 10th sequel the scariest of them all.”

The original “Halloween” was directed by Carpenter from his own script about Myers as he stalks and kills teenage babysitters on Halloween night. The film begins with six-year-old Michael killing his teenage sister on Halloween in 1963; he escapes 15 years later from a sanitarium and stalks Strode and her friends as they babysit.

Malek Akkad is the son of Moustapha Akkad, who exec produced the original “Halloween” with Irwin Yablans and produced several of the sequels. Malek Akkad produced three sequels, including 1998’s “Halloween H20: Twenty Years Later,” 2007’s “Halloween,” and 2009’s “Halloween II.”

Curtis also played Strode in “Halloween II” (1981), “Halloween H20: 20 Years Later” (1998), and “Halloween: Resurrection” (2002).

“Same porch. Same clothes. Same issues. 40 years later. Headed back to Haddonfield one last time for Halloween. Release date 10/19/18,” she tweeted about her return on Friday.

1. Samantha says:

This is supposed to be REAL Halloween 3. I guess we’ll get to see what happened after she had Jamie & before she faked her death. The last one she was in was the beginning of Halloween Resurrection when he murdered her. I’d like to know why this didn’t happen years ago. I mean, I know why the original Halloween wasn’t like the rest, but once they found out Michael Myers was such a big head, they should have picked up where they left off.

2. Halloween H20 was supposed to be the last movie for her…I guess she changed her mind!!

3. spookym says:

Look out behind you, Laurie!

4. Amber hill says:

I’m very excited Jamie Curtis I want to see her kids together the kill Michael Myers I want her John her son and her daughter Jamie play Halloween 5 I want to see Jamie the fnd her mom and brother the kill Michael Myers im at14Year old write to you

5. Lisa marie says:

Can’t wait to see this movie every year I watch all of the Halloween movies Jamie lee Curtis is my fav actress

6. Sheri Riley says:

Jamie Lee Curtis is my fav actress, Michael Myers is my fav horror movie character and Halloween is my fav horror franchise so I’M EXCITED!!! Yes she died in the last one she was in, HOWEVER my guess is when she fell there was something she landed on to cushion the fall and is still alive OR she was dreaming. Doesn’t matter I’m just happy she’s back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) CANNOT WAIT TO SEE IT!

7. Blaine McGovern says:

This new film DOES pick up after the original 1st two Halloween films, and disregards every other movie in the franchise, including the Zombie remakes…and to address the comment made earlier about Laurie Strode not being his sister, it’s addressed in the original 1st or 2nd film that her last name was changed to Strode for her protection, and in H20 Laurie tells her boyfriend point blank that she is in fact his sister, and later on in H20 when they are being chased by Michael, one of the kid’s ask “who is that?” and Laurie replies “My brother” She beheads him, but you find out at the beginning of Resurrection that it wasn’t Michael, that it was some dude, I think one of the EMT’s in the mask and coveralls, he had been gagged and was unconcious when he was put into the body bag, so it wasn’t Michael she beheaded, that’s how it was possible for him to still be alive…

8. 2 things that have never let me down…scary movies and JLCs boobs

9. LL💜SM says:

i was a nurse & called in late to finish watching HALLOWEEN in 1978 my mother in law thought it was silly but it was that good i grew up on DRACULA & FRANKENSTEIN & WERWOLF……..this was the most awesome thrilling movie “”EVER”” i waited 4 long years for part 2 & was not disappointed…..then came the rest 🤔😟 but loyal i was i bought ever DVD except the “RZ” ones REALLY….i hated them….. my son has finally bought me the perfect CHRISTMAS PRESENT the entire collection i can’t wait for this new one….thank u “JLC” “MM” “JC”…. i would buy them when i turn 💯 if u 3 had made it i am thrilled…smiling at 60…

10. Anna says:

We love us Our Scary Jamie Lee. Bring it on.

11. Robert Ferris says:

I’ve seen all the Halloween movies and didn’t Laurie Strode die in Halloween 7 at beginning of the movie, the last 2 movies sucked before Rob Zombie did it then they sucked even more. I hope this one will kick ass and have Michael go against someone like Jason Voorhees or Freddy.

12. So… a movie about a 60 year old Michael Myers and his 58 year old sister. Is this an AARP commercial?

13. Bill B. says:

Why can’t someone as talented & likable as she get better movie roles?!

14. Loomis's Daughter says:

First of I can’t believe no one has mentioned Donald Pleasance as Dr Samuel Loomis. Personally, he made the movies for me. He was my favorite character. It’s a shame he passed away in 1998.

Besides the Halloween series, he was one of the best actors of all time.

Jamie Lee, yeah, you’re a great actress, but, Donald Pleasance made these movies for me.

Hugs and Kisses to you sir.

15. Bill Poole says:

Why is this necessary? I thought her character was killed off in Halloween: Resurrection. I truly believe that Hollywood is out of ideas.

16. Link says:

I am going to leave this film a sequel after Resurrection to kill micheal once and for all

• Marion Lee Shepherd says:

So excited to see Jamie Lee Curtis back !!!! I have seen every Halloween made. Loved every one of them. Bring it on!!!!

17. leo mills says:

Explanation – a little confused.If the new installment follows right after the original and the 1981 movie, how does Jamie Lee Curtis or Laurie Strode go from being a teenager to her fifties on the same night?

18. jhs39 says:

Halloween has to have the worst continuity from film to film of any horror franchise that has ever existed. If you watch Halloween it’s clear that Laurie Strode is not Michael Myers’ sister because not a single character mentions that fact even though it obviously would have been relevant. In Halloween 4 & 5 Laurie is supposed to be dead and I think the little girl is supposed to be her daughter. In Halloween 6 Michael Myers is being controlled by a secret society of druids. In Halloween 7 (aka H20) Laurie is actually still alive and apparently never had the little girl from parts 4 & 5. Plus Laurie decapitates Michael Myers. In Halloween 8 Laurie didn’t decapitate Michael Myers in the previous film but she does definitely get killed by him. And now Laurie is alive again? Too bad David Gordon Greene is going to be the director. He’s way too sloppy a filmmaker to do a decent Halloween film. This one will probably make the two Rob Zombie films look good in comparison.

19. Wr says:

She’s still hot as hell.

20. Denny Ehlers says:

I still say there is only one “Halloween” film, and that is the first one.

21. Joanne Billing says:

I can’t wait for the Halloween movie I’ve been waiting for it I have all the Halloween movies on dvd

22. Anna says:

Halloween H2O is the end of the franchise story for most people. The story people love really is just about Michael Myers and his sister.
    Make Laurie Strodes’s death a nightmare she had and bring back our ax wielding heroine, the original strong woman of the movies along with Sigourney Weaver’s Aliens.

23. Paul Barr says:

I will happily remove Resurrection from my Halloween Boxset and replace with this. I can use it for a coaster

24. mikeam1978 says:

It’s a sequel, not a reboot. But this is awesome news! If only Carpenter was directing, though. I hate when much-hyped sequels to iconic films are entrusted to unproven hands.

25. jake says:

I hate that they have to declare it the last one — WHY

26. Keyser Soze says:

Why have a reboot if no one really knows the meaning behind the “Shining” arguably the best horror film ever? Nowadays, kids are more curious whether Kim Kardashian had her nails done yet.

27. leona tipton says:

i love jamie lee… she is good in everything she does.. best of luckt deare. ive seen every movie more than once. shes a A+10 in my book

28. Joey says:

What Ghost says down below. Jaime Lee Curtis’s character Laurie Strode was killed in Halloween Resurrection. Within the first 10-15 minutes of the movie, Laurie is locked up in an insane asylum and Michael comes to find her and ends up stabbing her to death. This new Halloween movie needs to just be it’s own thing with no ties or connections with the previous films. If Jaime Lee Curtis wants to come back for another Halloween movie that’s fine but she should play a different character, not Laurie Strode since one her character already died and two this movie is suppose to be reboot of the franchise. Me personally, I haven’t entirely thought about not watching it because John Carpenter is going to be involved in making it but as the standard goes, most movie remakes and reboots including horror are not always as good as the originals.

• Paula Stiles says:

You’re applying real-world logic to an iconic slasher series? That’s adorable.

• Eric Murphy says:

I heard something about every movie following the second one being disregarded though, so that would mean Laurie never died. Essentially, the continuity would be Halloween, Halloween 2, and the new movie. Though I could be wrong.
      Besides, Resurrection was awful and deserves to be forgotten, as far as I’m concerned. Not only did it kill off one of the most iconic scream queens in horror movie history, it did so in such a stupid way.

Honestly, with Jamie Lee Curtis, John Carpenter, and Moustapha Akkad’s son all being involved, I have high hopes for this movie. Plus, David Gordon Green and Danny McBride said that this movie is being made for fans of the original film rather than for modern audiences, which is where a lot of these movies tend to go wrong.
      I don’t think it’ll be quite as good as the original 2 movies, but I believe it can at least come close.

• Max says:

Actually, Resurrection didn’t kill off the franchise because a pretty well made fan film is coming out called Halloween: The Night Evil Died, which picks up in real time from when Resurrection ended. Plus Tony Moran returns as Michael in the film. It’s considered by many to be the official 9th entry in the series. Also, Resurrection is a masterpiece compared to the Rob Zombie remake and sequel. Though my personal favorite is H20.

29. Hank says:

John Carpenter’s “Halloween” is a masterpiece.
    It can’t be topped.

It’s like re-making “Psycho”.
    They shouldn’t even try.

Every John-Carpenter-remake has failed in the past.

30. Ghost says:

Um…she already died in Resurrection. Good luck with this. Lol

• Matthew Miller says:

Hey Ghost too bad this movie is not taking place after Resurrection it’s before it

• Ghost says:

Paint it anyway you want to. Film doesn’t lie. Michael also got both eyes shot out too…at the end of part 2…are you going to say THAT didn’t happen either?! Go ahead…I’ll wait…

31. jimmy says:

Ms Curtis is intelligent enough to have script approval. I hope.

32. Joe M says:

I grew up seeing the Halloween movies. And I agree that 1 and 2 are the only good ones compared to 4+. (3 was my fave). And the gore was minimal and not sickening. Today’s movies are all about traumatizing the viewer for profit. If they do that with the new Halloween movie, WE won’t be seeing it. Jamie Lee or not.

33. Jeffrey Landman says:

I think more Halloween alumni should return #halloween5 #billylives #imavailable

34. David Charest says:

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!