‘It’ Sequel Moves Ahead With Screenwriter Gary Dauberman

It
Warner Bros

New Line is making strides on the “It” sequel, hiring writer Gary Dauberman to work on the script.

Andy Muschietti, who directed “It,” is expected to return for the second installment, although he has not closed a deal yet. Producers Barbara Muschietti, Roy Lee, Dan Lin, Seth Grahame-Smith, and David Katzenberg are believed to be back as well.

Stephen King’s 1986 novel focuses on a group of friends in a fictional Maine community that battles the small town’s demon as kids, and then again as adults. The New Line movie, which opens Friday, centers on the children, while the upcoming film will follow them into adulthood.

Related

It

Stephen King’s ‘It’ to Jolt Box Office With Monster Opening

“It” is expected to be king of the box office, opening to $65 million — with estimates as high as $75 million — which would set a September record.

Dauberman is one of three writers credited on “It,” along with with Chase Palmer and Cary Fukunaga, who was attached to direct before departing due to creative differences. Dauberman has written a trio of horror films for New Line’s “Conjuring Universe” —  “Annabelle,”  “Annabelle: Creation,” and “The Nun.”

Muschietti said in a recent interview that he’s already planning the second movie.

“I really wanted to focus on the emotional journey of the group of kids. Getting in to that other dimension — the other side — was something that we could introduce in the second part,” Muschietti told Yahoo Movies. “In the book the perspective of the writing … is always with the Losers, so everything they know about Pennywise is very speculative and shrouded in absurdity, so I wanted to respect that mystery feeling of not knowing what’s on the other side.”

New Line has not set a release date for the “It” sequel. Dauberman is repped by ICM Partners, Lars Theriot at Industry Entertainment Partners, and Eric Suddleson at Felker Toczek.

1. Mark says:

Wait – the sequel is not moving on to them being adults? They’re now deviating from the book completely? Ugh.

2. Stephanie Gonzalez says:

I loved the movie , yes it was not EXACTLY like the book (is any movie ever?) I loved all the Potter movies and they all butchered the books. My grouchy boyfriend loved IT as well. The kids were fantastic Pennywise was spot on –and I can not wait for the end!

3. Stephanie Gonzalez says:

I loved the movie , yes it was not EXACTLY like the book (is any movie ever?) I loved all the Potter movies and they all butchered the books. My grouchy boyfriend loved IT as well. The kids were fantastic Pennywise was a spot on –and I can not wait for the end!

4. Stephanie Gonzalez says:

I loved the movie , yes it was not EXACTLY like the book (is any movie ever?) I loved all the Potter movies and they all butchered the books. My grouchy boyfriend loved IT as well. The kids were fantastic Pennywise was a spot and I can not wait for the end!

5. highly disappointed says:

This movie SUCKED big time! The storyline was weak..& the acting was beyond TERRIBLE. Not once did I jump or get scared. This movie was insanely overhyped & clearly did not live up to any expectations I had or anyone that saw this with opening night. It seemed more like a bad comedy with forced jokes from the kids rather than being a $h!t on yourself scary movie that I was looking for. Two thumbs WAY down

6. Court wolf says:

Well I was sold on the remake. Holy crap I knew it was going to be great but oh my in certain scenes I was totally entertained and like that’s pretty scary. Well done, well done. So I think a sequel is definitely in deed of being made but take the time to do it right and keep the story like the book. Oh one more thing keep bill skarsgard playing penny wise and the same director.

7. Howard says:

The Sequel Should Be Called: “More Of It”!!

8. jedijones77 says:

Let’s not even joke about not bringing back Muschietti. This was the perfect marriage of material and director. The only mistake was not giving him triple the budget and an extra 45 minutes (here’s hoping it gets extended that much on home video). Let’s hope that’s corrected in part 2.

9. Horace says:

Junk screenwriter. C level.

• highly disappointed says:

I’m going to have to agree with you. This movie was trash. It was not scary, the storyline was boring, and the acting was worse. Calling it junk is accurate. Calling it C level is very generous of you.

• Will C. says:

Looks like someone is desperately seeking some attention. The movie stayed pretty faithful to the book, so if the storyline bored you, give Stephen King a call. The movie would of been ruined by hiring well-known actors and the kids did an amazing job. The script gave it the same feel as Stand By Me or The Goonies. It was a well made coming of age drama, which had some horror elements. I’m sure you enjoy your horror movies much more refined, like Saw XIV or Paranormal Activity 7. If you want any kind of respect for your opinion, then maybe think about explaining why you felt the storyline was boring or the acting was bad. But then again, you were looking for a, “sh*t on yourself” scary movie with cheap jump scares by silencing the soundtrack and then playing a loud noise, accompanied by unnecessary gore for “shock value”. I mean, those were fun when I was 12….but, to each their own. But even by leaving a response for your shout for attention, is very generous of me.

• Caligula says:

Youre dumb. Your comment gets an D-

• Jacen says:

Hey, even Akiva “Batman & Robin” Goldsman picked up an Oscar, so I guess gems can appear anywhere. Anyway, this guy probably will just do a primary pass at the story, whittling the adult story-sections of King’s novel into a basic 120-150 pages, which subsequent writers will then whip into shape (or mangle).