Trailer for Angelina Jolie’s Netflix Drama ‘First They Killed My Father’ Debuts (Watch)

First They Killed My Father Angelina
Photo by Roland Neveu/Netflix

Angelina Jolie’s latest directorial effort has an official trailer.

The Netflix film “First They Killed My Father,” which is slated to screen at this year’s Toronto Film Festival, is a thriller that chronicles the journey of a childhood survivor of the Pol Pot regime during the Khmer Rouge years in Cambodia.

“Her eyes … never forget,” title pages flash across the screen in the trailer. Meanwhile, shots of children chanting and loading ammunition set the stage for a harrowing tale. One of the final images in the trailer shows the main actress, Srey Moch, watching buildings engulfed in flames.

Related

Angelina Jolie

Angelina Jolie Refutes Vanity Fair Excerpt Depicting Controversial Casting Process: ‘I Am Upset’

The story is based on the memoir of the same name by Loung Ung, who shares a writing credit on the film with Jolie.

Controversy regarding the film’s casting process arose when Jolie was quoted in a Vanity Fair cover story saying that in order to cast the film, they places money in front of children and then took it away as a test. “I am upset that a pretend exercise in an improvisation, from an actual scene in the film, has been written about as if it was a real scenario,” Jolie later commented. “The suggestion that real money was taken from a child during an audition is false and upsetting. I would be outraged myself if this had happened.”

Watch the trailer for “First They Killed My Father” below:

1. Dias says:

It is so good to read the comments of the haters, it makes all this much more interesting.

2. Barb says:

No one cares. I predict a flop

3. Sean McConnell says:

There are millions of educated people who are well aware of Pol Pot and Cambodia and don’t need Angelina Jolie to teach them. I’d rather learn from someone who is kind, respected, and who is able to maintain positive relationships. I feel sorry for Angelina Jolie because she was given so many gifts and squandered them on rage and jealousy. If “By the Sea” is any indication, I pray this woman concentrates on being a better mother and human being because the world doesn’t need more boring movies.

4. Queen Ellena says:

I just wanna say thank you so much for trying to educate us about the Pol Pot regime and the Cambodian genocide. I served an LDS mission to Cambodia and was able to see first-hand the effects of this genocide on the thousands of people I met. I find it so sad that no one in the U.S. knows about what Pol Pot did to the Cambodian people but I try my best to educate and teach so we never repeat history. I hope this film helps to open more eyes about the evils of the world and how we can avoid making the same mistake twice. Thank you!

5. Citney Anise says:

Considering Angie wrote the screenplay along with the author of the book, it seems that’s as close as you can possibly get to learning about what really happened. As for “By the Sea”, that was fiction, and a good movie if your IQ is above 75.

6. Child says:

Isn’t this the same story as a woman pushing the father of children out the door making his life miserable until he has no choice to leave and the children are abused by not having the father in the home and the woman doesn’t seem to mind that her selfishness is causing heartbreak for her children and an underlying anger about the situation the mother has deprived them of their fathers companionship. It’s evil.
    The mother forces the father to spend all of his time without his children.
    make a movie about these children.
    How is a mother having a career more important than being with her children, leaving the nanny to take them to the park and play. It’s evil.
    Make a movie about these children.