Ben Affleck Says He Recently Completed Rehab Stint for Alcohol Addiction

Ben Affleck rehab
Brian To/REX/Shutterstock

Ben Affleck revealed, in a Facebook post on Tuesday, that he recently completed a stint in rehab for alcohol addiction.

“I have completed treatment for alcohol addiction; something I’ve dealt with in the past and will continue to confront,” he wrote on Facebook. Affleck checked himself into rehab in 2001 as well.

“I want to live life to the fullest and be the best father I can be. I want my kids to know there is no shame in getting help when you need it, and to be a source of strength for anyone out there who needs help but is afraid to take the first step,” he continued. “I’m lucky to have the love of my family and friends, including my co-parent, Jen, who has supported me and cared for our kids as I’ve done the work I set out to do. This was the first of many steps being taken towards a positive recovery.”

Related

Ben Affleck Batman

Ben Affleck Will Not Direct ‘The Batman’ (EXCLUSIVE)

In the Facebook post, Affleck said he’s “lucky to have the love of … co-parent, Jen.” He and wife Jennifer Garner separated in 2015, but have not formally divorced yet. The two have three children together: two daughters and one son. Affleck recently exited as director of the Batman standalone film, but will still star in and produce the highly-anticipated superhero tentpole. Matt Reeves has since taken over directing duties.

Affleck’s last directorial effort, the gangster pic “Live by Night,” flopped, leaving Warner Bros. — the studio behind the period film — with a $75 million loss.

Syfy also recently canceled the sci-fi thriller “Incorporated,” which Affleck executive produced with longtime friend and business partner Matt Damon and Jennifer Todd.

Before he dons the cape and cowl in “The Batman,” the actor will next play the Dark Knight in “Justice League,” which hits theaters on Nov. 17.

POPULAR ON VARIETY:

1. John Smith says:

I thought Muslims weren’t allowed to drink.

2. Bye bye, Ben, you self-absorbed, vapid twit.

3. seriously says:

Variety and Hollywood Reporter* Sorry, you Trump Sheep are so dim felt the need to clarify for you.

4. seriously says:

All of you anonymous keyboard warrior Tump Sheep dragging your Orange Cheeto messiah into this, go get lives. Seriously, troll in the Hollywood Reporter, still? Blaming the left and liberals for everything you and the fake president cannot do is so embarrassing and tired. Also wow for not caring you really seem to care a lot about Ben Affleck’s business! Bah Bah Trump Sheep! Save your movie ticket money. You will need it for healthcare.

5. gkn says:

It’s really quite sickening to read most of the idiotic comments below from people who scream that a celebrity has no right to an opinion, but somehow imagine the intolerant hatred they spew is interesting.

Good luck, Ben. We love ya.

6. celebriated says:

Wow with great news like this I’m ready to hit the bar to celebrate!

7. Ironbob says:

Has there ever been a worse casting decision for a super hero than this? George Clooney, Val Kilmer? Anyone…anyone….

8. Trace says:

Addiction is tough no matter who you are or how much money you have. I wish him well especially for the sake of his children. I would say the same thing if he were the plumber or the gardner or the president of a bank. Every kid deserves parents who are there for them in full!

9. Gomalio Fung says:

Ben Affleck is the modern day, dough faced, B list analog to the late Ernie Borgnine. With all due apologies to Ernie, who actually HAD talent but was a humble and friendly guy when you met him.

10. Sam says:

“My co-parent Jen”?? Co-parent?? That is grammatically incorect. You’re either a parent ir not. But, leave it to the idiots in Hollywood to do a liberal spin on the concept of parenting.
    Imbeciles.

11. Ben Afleck will never be Batman.

12. D3F1ANT says:

Too bad Ben can’t go to rehab for being an asinine moonbat!

13. Llcald says:

Why don’t you stop being an ass along with all of your very unhappy liberal friends, find Christ and enjoy the precious life you have left. Movie “stars ” are so unhappy!

14. Co-Parent? How about the mother of my children? Liberals make it sound like the children were grown in a petri dish and co-parent is so impersonal a phrase.

15. “lostinspace” what does his political persuasion have to do with his rehab? Come on, don’t try to put politics into everything!

16. i wish him good luck but from now on , but next time this flaming liberal goof wants to lecture us on how we should live, maybe we don’t pay him much attention.

17. voodoodaddy1 says:

No one cares about you Ben. No one. BTW to any studios out there…I will NOT pay to see anything this loser ever act in again after his Trump tirades this past year.

18. Richard Davidson says:

Is this the same Ben Affleck that kept trashing Trump? The same Affleck that all but worshipped Obama? That Affleck ? ..and the Hollywieirdos can’t understand why we believe them to be collectively, the most screwed up group in America….Alcohol/drug addiction…divorces….illegitimate children, psychiatric counseling….AND after 50 YEARS…they can’t even get the Best Picture Award right! Think about that the next time Whoppi Goldberg, Rosie O’Donell or Ben Affleck give you political advice…

19. Brent says:

Don’t forget, this from a few years back: “But they also found Benjamin Cole, a great-great-great grandparent on his mother’s side. Cole was a sheriff in Chatham County, Ga., in the 1850s and ’60s, according to historical documents uncovered by Family History Insider. And he was the “trustee” of seven slaves. An attempt to cover up that unwanted detail has led PBS to suspend the show, citing Affleck’s “improper influence” on programming.”

20. Dramatik says:

How quickly we forget. Affleck, ex Obama advisor for Iraq war.

21. Darmoniac says:

oh my god is life is so hard….you have million of dollar shut up elite scumb you know nothing about problem in life

22. Why do these freaks have to tell us!! Do it for yourself!

23. Dano says:

Is there rehab for douchebaggery because he really needs to go

24. I’m not wealthy enough to pay for a luxury rehab facility where I can where my pajamas all day and be coddled and cared for. Therefore, I chose not to drown my sorrows in booze, concentrate on taking care of myself, my family, and my work… and be grateful for it.

I guess when you’re Ben Affleck, and carry the burden of The Batman’s mantle, it’s just too much to bare!

25. The duck from the insurance company is a drunk???? Aflack

26. Justsomeguy says:

Now that he’s off the sauce for a few months (maybe, at best), he can go back to explaining how to run the country and our own personal lives.
    Like the rest of his boozing, drug-addled, narcissistic fellow actors.

Really, Hollywood: stick to overbudget redundant action films and awards ceremonies. We’ll manage our own lives and the nation. Thanks.

27. c p says:

Hey Ben…. The second word is “Anonymous” for a reason

28. Ben likes to pine in on his beliefs of the problems in the world from, President Trump to world hunger. How can anyone take this man serious when he can’t even control his on life. What a typical Hollywood hypocrite.

29. Matt Damon says:

Just get on the weed. All the main streamers and potheads believe it’s the fountain of youth.

30. Amer Ican says:

Must be something to do with being Batman. Met Adam West (original Batman) once years ago at a car show. Wouldn’t let my sons go over because he was drunk then.

31. babette says:

“Alcohol Addiction” … Remember the days when it was called Being Drunk ? or even He Is A Booser or how about a Loser. Let’s blame it on anything but that … Loser Affleck.

32. aleric says:

Incorporated flopped because its the same BS the Left has been pushing for 20 years. Big Corps are not as powerful as governments and can not take control of the world because they do not have the power in terms of military or allegiance of the people. Its a Socialist fantasy and one that has failed many times. Yet hollywood continues to try and force it on us every couple years. Its almost as bad as the ever present theme that has been going on now for ten years about the government always out to kill people, be they mutants or others. It gets really old.

33. Eric-in-NJ says:

I am not a fan of most of his work and his politics are not mine BUT I hope that he is getting this problem under control. Kudos to him for stepping up and facing it.

34. John says:

Prayers for Ben. I know first hand the devastating effects of addiction.

35. Ounce Oflogic says:

Rehab. The last sign of a flagging career. Then comes Politics. Does “Senator Ben Affleck” sound good to anyone?

36. Bruce Kramer, M.D. says:

I commend any one who truly battles their addictions and may Ben achieve the sobriety he seeks…
    But, this typical sanctimonious, hypocritical and overpaid liberal celebrity just reinforces how dysfunctional the Hollywood personas are…and should be seen as the “disease” infecting the country’s “healthiness” that has endured for decades…

37. mark4java says:

Another self-indulged liberal the loves to tell the rest of us how to think about every issue possible. He insults the mother of his children in his statement. When will people ever take these narcissists for who they are?

38. Susan Daniels says:

He calls Jennifer Garner his “co-parent?” What an insulting label.

39. ilovevictoriasbows says:

Losing an election can be hard on a guy.

40. Who cares. Let me know when the studio drops him from ALL future Batman movies( better yet..they just drop him from ALL types of movies.

41. Fran Sinatra never went to rehab. John Wayne? Nope. Shame what passes for “man” in today’s Hollywood…

42. Mitch Pawl says:

He should check himself into a month long acting lesson class. His acting skills stink.

43. frances s says:

I’m sure Ben will soon show up in a PSA making a passionate plea against buzzed driving, and begging us to vote for some corrupt Democrat socialist.

Just go away and keep you fauxial justice to yourself!

44. Jay Talber says:

Don’t GAF benny!

45. Midwest Norsk says:

He has a bigger moob problem.

46. IronBob says:

Let us guess. Donald Trump made you drink.

47. Bill Shakespeare says:

Acting is hard (don’t he know it) but a Hollywood “icon” being enabled is super easy.

48. Jason says:

Ok .. so does anyone really care ? This garbage ! Who cares take on that weight like a Man U don’t a article to justify what you’re doing Make a movie and move on no one cares !

49. Dan Rousselle says:

Highly encourage anyone struggling with addiction to attend Celebrate Recovery. God cares and heals.