Barbra Streisand: Sexism Cost Me Multiple Oscar Nominations

Barbra StreisandTribeca Talks Storytellers: Barbra Streisand
MORALES/SSTK/REX/Shutterstock

Barbra Streisand argued that sexism cost her Oscar nominations for “Yentl” and “The Prince of Tides” during a spirited public interview at the Tribeca Film Festival on Saturday. But it wasn’t just men who balked at the idea of a woman calling the shots on a major motion picture.

“There were a lot of older people,” Streisand told her interlocutor Robert Rodriguez. “They don’t want to see a woman director.”

“I don’t know how many women wanted to see a woman director,” she added.

Related

Fifty Shades of Grey Dakota Johnson Sam Taylor-Johnson Jamie Dornan

Number of Female Directors Falls Despite Diversity Debate, Says Study

Streisand said that jealousy and competitiveness are partly to blame for women turning on one of their own gender.  As evidence, she claimed that female critics were harsher than their male counterparts to “Yentl.” Three decades after the drama’s release, a review by former New York Times critic Janet Maslin still seemed to rankle the recording star and filmmaker. She remained put out by Maslin’s reference to Streisand’s use of a “pillbox-contoured designer yarmulke” in the film.

“None of [the female critics] talked about what the movie was trying to say,” Streisand said. “It was not about what the movie was about — a celebration of women and all they could be.”

Oh, and for the record, Streisand said the yarmulke was authentic to the film’s early 20th century Polish setting.

“Yentl,” the story of a woman who dresses like a man so she can study Talmudic Law, was nominated for five Oscars, missing out on a Best Picture nod. “The Prince of Tides,” a drama about an emotionally damaged man who falls for his psychiatrist, got seven nominations, included film of the year. In both cases, Streisand’s name was left off the director’s short list. Eight years separated the two films.

Streisand said she was pleased that being overlooked focused attention on discrimination towards women, but she said the experience of being snubbed for “Yentl” had something to do with her long hiatus.

“I must have been more hurt than I thought, because I didn’t want to direct for years,” she said.

Rodriguez, a Mexican director best known for such blood-spattered actions films as “El Mariachi,” would seem an odd choice to moderate a panel with Streisand, a performer whose style is brassy and sentimental. But the Hispanic director said he was a massive fan of Streisand’s work, telling her that she gave him the courage to break into movies.

“You inspired me to go into an industry where I felt I didn’t have voice,” he said.

Rodriguez argued that Streisand had shattered a glass ceiling for other female filmmakers such as Kathryn Bigelow  — a notion that Streisand discouraged.

“Not enough women are directing now,” said Streisand. “I love when I see a woman’s name on the film, and then I want to see it be good.”

Streisand said she originally wanted to just focus on acting and recording, but disagreements with Sydney Pollack on 1973’s “The Way We Were” pushed her in a different direction. She’d been horrified when scenes that she felt illustrated why her on-screen relationship with Robert Redford’s character ultimately disintegrated were left on the cutting room floor.

“I directed because I couldn’t be heard,” said Streisand.

Marketplace

1. The “sexist” talk is a bore … someone let this poor thing know that the 70’s are over. Jeeesh~

2. Suzanne Ellison says:

I am so sick of Barbra continually using that stupid overused word SEXIST..Oh it’s sexist because this didn’t happen and that didn’t happen and blah blah blah..she’s complaining about something all the time and frankly her complaints sound like a very spoiled rotten kid that isn’t getting her way..She’s had that reputation for a long time and one person that said that she was hard as hell to work w/were many, many people but she must have one hell of a publicist because she tends to lie a lot!!! She says she grew up dirt poor.. a LIE..her mother had a very good job w/the school system in Brooklyn when she was a kid and she even stated in an interview, her mother, not Barbra, that she gave her over $300 in the 1950’s, the poor, impoverished kid she says she was, her mother gave her $300 which in those days were a lot of money because she gave it to her for her to take acting classes in the Berkshires for little theater and acting altogether..then I see her expensive ballet shoes on social media..how many poor children do you know took ballet classes w/those toe shoes that cost over $500 dollars now and back then must have cost a good deal..she lied again..and her brother said she said that because it made a good narrative for poor girl makes rich as biggest movie star, you know the rest…but this BS and she goes on and on and on after 75 years of her never having known her father..no nothing, yadda yadda.well she had a pretty big family and they all got together for big Sunday dinners and she had people and friends around her all the time..At one of her concerts she had footage of her in high school where she said she was bullied and known as the kid who didn’t fit in..she graduated 4th in her class w/all A’s..She had footage of her wearing a really cute outfit w/a guy and her friends and her hair was not purple as she said and she looked like a normal teenage kid at her PROM..YES she was at her prom..oh she forgot to mention those tidbits.I’m beginning to understand why she’s bff’s w/a certain person she is so enthralled with and who ran for potus and freaked out that she didn’t win even though she was the wrong and worst candidate and she is pro war which I guess means Barbra must be…Point being, Barbra always said the press lied about her..Well she treated even photographers horridly..she told that extremely famous photographer who has taken pics of every single president, all the Beatles, and he was at that outdoor concert that had 125,000 people there in Central Park that Barbra suddenly now changed the number to $150k people..funny because my parents had the album and they were teens back then, before they met.. and the album jacket says $125,000 people came to see a free concert of Barbra sing for free..She told a great Scottish man named Simon to F–k off, when she saw him standing far away taking photos of her during the concert..See, that’s the REAL Barbra..not the so called soft spoken person..I hate when people lie..and she has lied so many times it’s just disappointing because I was a fan..no longer though..NO longer…I found this out..Her own brother stated that she embellished everything to make it sound as if her mother couldn’t stand her, that she didn’t approve of her and again, I saw three interviews w/her mother and her mother was always so complimentary of Barbra, but I guess that’s just not good enough for her..Barbra seems extremely mean spirited and I’ve heard this from people who KNOW her..so there ya go… my opinion..I know people who catered parties for other stars where she was there and she always told the staff NEVER look her in the eyes..what kind of weirdo says that and if I had been told that by her..I would have had a few choice words to say back to her..believe me..there is NO person who would say that to me w/out my saying something back to them….Revolting diva behavior..

• macd says:

Gee, Suzanne, your diatribe bored me as much as “Yentl” bored you! You seem to have covered all the bases except one: What does Barbra’s forgotten sister, Roslyn Kind, have to say about her sibling? Also, a good friend of mine worked on two of her movies and liked her quite a lot. He thought she got a bad reputation because she was a perfectionist. Frankly, judging from the quality of most of today’s releases, I wish there were more perfectionists like her in the business.

3. DollFace says:

While Hollywood is very much a patriarchal dominated business, Barbara Streisand had and has a lot more power as a woman than any gentile or ethnic minority. Plus her power through fame and money to produce, direct and star in her own films. She seems to not see her own power as a woman. As for comparing her films to all the Best Picture nominees for both years (1984 and 1992), Terms of Endearment (winner) and The Big Chill pulled at my heart strings a lot more than Yentl (Which was a very long film I watched on a plane ride to Europe and found it quite boring, except for the singing parts.) in 1992 Disney’s musical animation, Beauty and The Beast really deserved to win that year, yet it competed also with Silience of the Lambs (winner), Bugsy and JFK. Prince of Tides sat quiet in comparison.

• Suzanne Ellison says:

@DollFace..I agree w/you 100%..She has so much power or did have so much power in Hollywood that she has no reason to complain..I’m sorry but Yentle bored me to tears.It’s all I could do to stay awake and personally I didn’t like the movie or its premise..It was just another feminist statement of hers..she’s directed 3 movies and just because she didn’t win an Oscar, sorry but I don’t think that movie was Director Oscar worthy because that movie in general was boring..it wasn’t what I would put in a category of the greats..There is nothing good enough for that woman..she literally has to have her own way all the time or it’s sexism..if someone didn’t win and she was a woman, it’s sexism..MAYBE IT’S BECAUSE THE PERSON DIDN’T DESERVE IT BARBRA..FOR Pete’s sake!!! She is always complaining..This is a woman who has won every single award there is to win..This is a woman who achieved stardom and became a millionaire in her 20’s and has been rich more so than her joke of the impoverished life she claimed she had when her own brother Sheldon stated that that was not true..It was the opposite..I think she makes up these fantasies in her head because she is always going on about very odd things..I think she’s exceptionally spoiled to death of getting her own way all the time..She made a comment she only liked making duets w/men because women were too competitive..She contradicts everything she says.. What a weird thing to say when she says women are always looked over, yet here she is putting them down..She wanted to sing w/Beyonce who would literally knock her out of the park right now..Sorry but Barbra’s voice just isn’t that powerful any longer..I saw the footage of her last concert for 2016 and frankly it was sad..it was very sad..it was awful..It was badly put together..she forgot her lines and she was doing some dance on stage w/these other women and she was off badly..so no..she needs to stop doing live concerts..her last good one was in 2012..she’s 75 now and now she uses duets w/guys except 3 women..Ann Hathaway and some other girl and amazing Melissa McCarthy who I adore.she’s amazing..Barbra’s movies are about heartbreak in Prince of Tides, Mirror had one good Oscar worthy person and that was Lauren Bacall.. and I think she was nominated and may have won..Tides as for director..No..way too many good movies at that time that superseded her movie. She put her son in there and I don’t think he’s actually done anything at all, career-wise except what little small tidbits he did many years ago..He made a 4 song small little DVD that was when she did her concert w/him, but otherwise he’s got all of his millions from her giving it to him. Simple as that… Tides was a good movie overall but she had a lot of hard core competition..she needs to stop saying the reason she didn’t win something was sexism..That’s why at one time she was truly one of the most powerful women in Hollywood….so that is pure crap.. I don’t believe half of what she says because if you research what she says, she’s wrong a good amount of the time..

• Larry says:

“…than any gentile”:
        DollFace & some of the disgusting comments on this site have latent or manifest antisemitic views. Scary people!

Think about it: If the Jews are so, so, so, soooooooo powerful and ‘run Hollywood’, then how did Mel Gibson manage to be still successful and even get a ‘Best Picture’ nom for his Christian-themed “Hacksaw Ridge” ?

That does’t make any sense, you stupid hate mongers!

Maybe Barbra Streisand simply had a lot more talent than many other blond chicks ?
        I enjoyed her performances very much & she was a great singer, too.
        And, most people forgot that: She was really sexy in her day.
        She had a unique look to her and a funny-sexy personality,
        which is a huge turn-on for men like me ;-)
        Funny women are more attractive.
        Always was & always will be.

• Suzanne Ellison says:

So basically if people don’t agree with Barbra, because she happens to be Jewish, they’re automatically antisemitic.. I haven’t personally read anything on here stating anything of that nature..We’re talking about her continually stating everything is sexist if a woman isn’t chosen for this, that or the other.This is her answer to everything concerning women..At the same time she continually contradicts herself..I find her to be definitely an odd one..

• Sal U. Lloyd says:

Great voice and a comic-talent and no doubt some sexism was involved in being snubbed for TIDES. YENTL was booooring, But Dullface is correct, Babs had much power in her time.

4. Hugh John says:

Truth is, Streisand missed out on some awards because, well, she’s really not that talented. When you figure in all the attention she got simply by being Jewish, it all works out.

5. Mark says:

This headline is deeply offensive, because it reads like a direct quote, but is not a quote at all. Streisand never said anything so crass as “Sexism cost me multiple Oscar nominations”
      Shame on you Variety, for showing your utter lack of integrity, by deliberately misleading readers in an attempt to garner clicks.

• Suzanne Ellison says:

How do you know that though? I’ve literally heard her in many interviews say that people are sexist because of her not winning things or many women not winning something..It’s always sexism to her and I find that ridiculous..She’s said it many times..look at the interviews she’s had on Youtube or recent ones about her buddy HRC..that to her was SEXISM…No Barbra, people just didn’t like her..simple as that .. It’s so simple..she lost in 08 and twice in 2016…there is a reason for that..She is not trusted and has done many things wrong. So she needs to just stop..My God it seems every single time you hear something about her it’s sexism..It’s 2017… NOT everything is sexism.. It just isn’t…

• John says:

I agree.

The catchy headline has a misogynistic vibe to it, doesn’t it ?

Especially if you read Streisand’s quotes in the text, which are not nearly as ‘narcissistic’ as the healine wants us to believe….

Mr. Lang, did Ms. Streisand really say “Sexism Cost Me Multiple Oscar Nominations” or was it only your imagination?

There is no quote in the text…odd, isn’t it?

Mr. Lang, do you hate Ms. Streisand or only successful women in general?

6. Kevin says:

This woman had a powerful, beautiful voice in her day. Everything else about her(acting, directing, etc.) was greatly overestimated by her. Very mediocre. I saw Yentl in theater. I love a good musical. It was boring. Her songs were beautifully sung sure enough but God they were contrived and forgettable. BORING MOVIE wow. Not one impressive memorable scene. She overestimates herself and over 30 years later the wah wah is just pathetic.

• Suzanne Ellison says:

I agree..It was not an Oscar worthy movie.It’s as simple as that..That was over 30 years ago..She harps on the past a lot..Notice how she still continues in every interview that she lost her father when she was 15 months old. NOT one interview that she has ever had has her NOT mentioning that fact..People get divorced, People die.. MOVE ON!! it’s been 75 years for God’s sake..it’s ridiculous..what on earth does she get from continually mentioning this point? WE get it ..people have been literally hearing this stuff for over God knows how many years..Put it to rest already…and the sexism crap…

7. No the notion that vagina = genius and your movies being cornball schmaltz fests had something to do with it.

8. Susan says:

Well there’s always the new gypsy movie being planned, or what about the new star is born.
      Another fockers movie.

9. Sal U. Lloyd says:

I didn’t see PRINCE OF TIDES, but John Singleton DID NOT deserve a nomination that year!!!

10. Larry says:

Getting tired of this ball busting witch. She couldn’t make it in the pictures; because she was to strong to deal with and not very pretty for a wide audience. So she took up directing; always choosing strong themes. Like a woman playing a man. Yet when she does not get best picture; she’s back to saying they were sexist. Which may be why her life was lackluster. Face it honey; if you were not Jewish; you would’ve had a very hard time. Jewish Americans were fast forwarded in various fields after Hitlers reign; because Christians felt sorry for them. Thinking they would assimilate; but instead they stuck together and conquered as always. Meanwhile… overseas; they rob the American taxpayers of 50 billion a year; which is a great deal if you divide it up by person. Yet this woman has nothing good to say; because she is in her mind… the chosen one. Go away.

• Suzanne Ellison says:

Streisand said that jealousy and competitiveness are partly to blame for women turning on one of their own gender. That right there is so ridiculous..she says women were jealous of her because they didn’t like Yentle..I didn’t like Yentle..Am I supposed to be jealous of her? I’m not and my opinion still stands..

• Sal U. Lloyd says:

Larry, you’re an idiot. You couldn’t recognize true talent if it bit you in the butt!

• strong woman says:

larry you sound like the tipical sexist pig that discriminated against woman like streisand and others

• you broads would eat your young if you thought it would advance your lives. men compete with each other, women attack their counterparts.

• Frank says:

Well what about the gypsy movie being planned or the new star is born.
          Another fockers movie????

• Frank says:

It’s always shocking to read that just because a person may be famous they think they deserve to be a 1) director as if any idiot can be a director, 2) they deserve an award because they’re famous and directed ……a……movie, as if an award is just some innocuous toy to gratify an ego.
          It’s insulting to all the hardworking talented and esteemed directors that spent their entire lives with the career of making movies.

11. Joe Doakes says:

Perhaps those fine films received those many nominations in part because she was a female and a Jew as well? But the excellence was not there to give her the additional recognition she desired? A little late in the game now. Is she feeling her career is over and it is safe to make the assertions?

12. Bill B. says:

I agree that Yentl was very overlooked in its day, but I also think that Prince of tides was very overrated in its day. I also agree that despite it’s huge success that The Way We Were was missing something.

13. Roberta Kenney says:

Some time after Yentl came out I took a film class at Bellevue Community College in Seattle from the renowned director Stanley Kramer. There were hundreds of students in the huge auditorium listening raptly when he went on a rant about how ego-driven Streisand was to think she could write, star, direct and produce her own picture. He resented her audacity apparently, never mind Oscar nods given or not given. I sat there thinking, holy shit. She’s done the most remarkable thing, making a movie I loved, and fulfilling all of those roles. I’d love to be able to do that. Why isn’t he cheering for her?

• david h says:

I loved Yentl too and I don’t trust anyone who wants to bash it. I saw it a few months ago again on tv one night and was all caught up in it again all these years later. I wish Streisand would do a new picture again in whatever capacity she choses.

14. Bowtothesystemslave says:

STFU please…

15. Andi says:

Isn’t making movies a good way to get away from women telling men what to do. Or listening to it. Hahahaha

16. Marco says:

I rather like Prince of Tides and wouldn’t have minded if Streisand had been nominated that year seeing as the film got a Best Picture nomination, but it still wasn’t one of the five best films released that year nor was it one of the five best directed films. Moreover, 1991 was the year we finally saw a black director, John Singleton, receive a richly deserved nomination, in this case for Boyz N the Hood. Tony Scott, who directed the feminist Thelma and Louise, Oliver Stone, and the late great Jonathan Demme, who won the Oscar, also deserved their nominations. So that just leaves Barry Levinson, who’d already won for Rain Man. I guess it’s arguable that Streisand could have taken his slot, but I don’t think it’s an obvious injustice, since both Bugsy and The Prince of Tides are equally good, but not great, films.

So, I’m not sure if Streisand has been hard done by. I haven’t seen Yentl, but 1983 was admittedly a poor field as far as nominations went (although the biggest injustice was surely the absence of Martin Scorsese in the Best Director category for The King of Comedy), and I’m sorry to say, but The Mirror Has Two Faces is awful, and was extremely lucky to get a nomination for Lauren Bacall (who nevertheless glowered when she lost the Best Supporting Actress Oscar to the far more deserving Juliette Binoche).

• Sal U. Lloyd says:

NEITHER Levinson nor Singleton deserved it. Certainly not Singleton just so the trade papers could write “the first African-American to . . . “

17. Kat Cirrotta says:

I am Streisands biggest fan since I was 12 and heard ‘People’ on the radio. Personally her greatest talent is her ability to achieve musical perfection. Her voice is flawless, her phrasing, emotions are all flawless. I am now 66 yrs old & have seen her concerts 3x. I have never wavered. I saw all her movies & she’s a great comedic and dramatic actress. I agree she should have been recognized for Yentyl-a masterpiece.

• Atilla Thehun says:

Your heroine has “adequate” phrasing. She is late to her vibrato on her held notes. Thank heaven for reverb. That said, playing the gender card? Well, just another leftist child. Give her a cookie and a time out. What’s next, the religion card?

• Andi says:

I agree totally. A big fave.
        yentl I found to be really insulting to women. it embraced all the negative stereotypes about women. But, whatelse is new it’s the same story today. women exploited in movies
        and on the Internet and used as a playtoy. It’s f ng dehumanizing and insulting.

18. Jay says:

The fact that Price of Tides was nominated for Best Picture was the real travesty, not that Streisand wasn’t nominated for Best Director.

19. Bob says:

Prince of tides I might give you. Yentl is an overrated film that didn’t deserve a best director nod.

• Prince Of Tides is a tv movie when you compare it to the competition that year. Films like silence of the lambs JFK The Fisher King Cape Fear Boyz N the Hood Terminator 2 Barton Fink Point Break Bad Lieutenant My Own Private idaho The Double Life of Veronique

20. amyqp says:

“Rodriguez, a Mexican director best known for such blood-spattered actions films as “El Mariachi,” would seem an odd choice to moderate a panel with Streisand, a performer whose style is brassy and sentimental. But the Hispanic director said he was a massive fan of Streisand’s work, telling her that she gave him the courage to break into movies.” Rodriguez was born in San Antonio, Texas which is currently not a part of Mexico if you’re up on your last few centuries of American history. He’s Mexican-American, if you need to label him at all. But TWICE in ONE PARAGRAPH?

• Marco says:

We’re living in the era of Trump. I guess people of Mexican descent are no longer considered Americans now that bigot is in charge.

21. vincent says:

Hollywood types have an excuse for everything anytime something doesn’t go their way. Perhaps they should look to themselves first rather than always placing blame elsewhere.

22. lola heatherton says:

Barbra reminds me of one of a character from SCTV. Her films are masterpieces of cringe. I would compare Barbra to Eugene Levy’s Bobby Bittman in his directorial debut, demanding awards for his (prescient) remake, “On The Waterfront – Again”.

23. Rob Shnider says:

….ditto

24. GDowney says:

An Academy Award for Yenta?….how’bout an award for biggest yenta or most obnoxious?…What BS is, is a very angry “entertainer”. Whenever uber left-wing voices point their blame, it all comes down to sexism or racism.

25. Mark says:

Rodriguez was born in San Antonio, Texas. He is not a “Mexican” director. He is of Hispanic descent.

26. stevie68a says:

Streisand is a living legend, BUT….
      She won an Oscar for “Evergreen” with Paul Williams. Yet, she hasn’t written songs before or since.
      Williams is an accomplished composer.
      It makes me think she had little to do with writing “Evergreen”, but fixed it up in order to get credit and the Oscar.
      These awards are popularity contests with political undertones, so it has little to do with what’s the “best” of anything.

• Suzanne Ellison says:

I bet strong woman is Barbra.. I wouldn’t doubt it.. Because that’s a funny pseudonym. I agree w/you Stevie68a.. I really do. I think she puts he name on a lot of things.. She seems to think that everything she does is amazing but I have seen some doozies..at this time her voice sounds very hoarse and deep…it’s definitely not the great voice we used to hear..what gets to me is she is asked the question, what do you consider yourself first an actor that sings or a singer that acts? Well she always, always says and ACTOR that sings..NOPE..NOT even a little bit..She is a singer that acts..Her voice supersedes her acting by 100%..There is no way she’s a better actor than singer.. She’s made more music in her lifetime than any movies…She’s barely made 20, if that.

27. Lenny says:

Barbra Streisand should get more credit for what she achieved & she’s right about female critics often being more brutal and unfair than male critics, when a woman is the director.

But did she really deserve an Academy Award nom as ‘Best Director’ for “Prince of Tides” ? Let’s remember who got nominated that year: Oliver Stone for “JFK”, Barry Levinson for “Bugsy”, John Singleton for “Boyz in the Hood”, Ridley Scott for “Thelma and Louise” and Jonathan Demme for “The Silence of the Lambs”. There isn’t much wrong with this list, is there?

You could argue, that Barry Levinson or John Singleton didn’t need to be nominated, but Singleton made history as the first black director nominee that year…and he did as good a job as Streisand at least.

I would have liked to see Streisand nominated over Levinson, but “Bugsy” is at least as impressive a movie as “Prince of Tides”.

I support Ms. Streisand in her crusade to get more women into the director’s chair, because there is something wrong with an industry that produces 90% male-directed products, but she should not become unfair in that process. At the end of the day it’s not the Academy Awards, that create this strange imbalance. It’s the culture and industry itself.

Studios should hire more female directors.

28. Er… Miss Streisand is having an ego trip. She did NOT deserve to be nominated those years. It’s true that women directors aren’t that considered or recognized and that only a few (Lina Wertmüller, Jane Campion, Sofia Coppola, Kathryn Bigelow) have been nominated, but it’s also truth that not many women get access to prominent films. Is she saying that she deserved the nom for Yentl OVER the 5 nominees or the two biggest directing snubs of that year, Peter Weir (The year of living dangerously) and Phillip Kauffman (The Right Stuff, nominated for Best Picture)? One of the nominees was no other than one of all time greatests, Ingmar Bergman (Fanny and Alexander) yet you never heard of him complaining about NOT winning an award. What about Lawrence Kasdan for “The Big Chill”… didn’t he deserve the nom? Woody Allen’s groundbreaking “Zelig”? John Badham iconic “Wargames”? Carroll Ballard’s tour de force in nature “Never Cry Wolf”? John Landis’ comedic masterpiece “Trading Places”? Carlos Saura’s musical twist in “Carmen”? And that’s only 1983…

In 1991, let’s say she can consider herself lucky, really lucky, “The Prince of Tides” got nom’d thanks in a good part, for the genre bias of the Academy. Among the films that deserved it more: Lawrence Kasdan’s “Grand Canyon”, Mick Jackson’s “L.A. Story” a delicious surreal screenplay by Steve Martin, James Cameron’s masterpiece “Terminator 2: Judgement Day”, Ron Howard’s “Backdraft”, Ridley Scott’s “Thelma & Louise”, Terry Gilliam’s “The Fisher King”, Martin Scorsese’s “Cape Fear”, Coen Bros’ “Barton Fink”, Jon Avnet’s “Fried Green Tomatoes”, John Singleton’s “Boyz ‘n the hood”, Agniezska Holland’s “Europa Europa” (another woman directing, that deserved an Oscar nom and win, way more than Barbra), Zhang Yimou’s “Raise the Red Lantern” and Gabriele’s Salvatore’s “Mediterraneo”…

so yeah, Barbra, a 2 times Oscar winner, and winner of TWO Oscars, one for writing music and another one for acting, isn’t being humble or realistic, when complaining about her lack of Oscar noms for directing… she’s being disrespectful to superior work, objectively speaking.

I would understand and support Ava DuVernay (Selma), Holland (Europa Europa), Sofia Coppola (Lost in Translation, Marie Antoinette), Isabel Coixet (My Life Without Me) and other women directors, complaining, but certainly Barbra is NOT the most indicated woman director to complain about her Oscarless directing career. Not when she has made good, memorable films that were certainly NOT on the same league of true classics competing the same year, and having some of them even ignored over Streisand’s work.

• Suzanne Ellison says:

I agree w/you on every point you made. I think Sofia Coppola is an amazing director..She did a fantastic job in The virgin Suicides..that movie was amazingly haunting..Great acting and definitely amazing directing..She has an incredible eye…And yes Marie Antoinette..A great film..I buy her movies because they’re visually stunning..Marie was just beautiful cinematography… And all the others you mentioned..So for her to complain after not only winning the Golden Globes for Best Director for Yentle and I think she got two for that. From the Hollywood Foreign Press..and they are picky people..Just because she didn’t get nods rfrom her peers..she doesn’t know if they were men or women who didn’t choose her…the Academy is comprised of hundreds if not thousands of people who nominate the people who win… She is going through quite the ego trip..The woman who has won countless Grammy’s, Oscar, Tony, Emmy, etc at such a very young age..Most in her 20’s at the beginning of her career..Yentel..It was just okay..The Way We Were was amazing.. LOVED..but there were many factors that made that film incredible and Redford was one of them..An amazing actor..so she has done a lot and won a lot..Still not satisfied .. amazing after all these years…Weird as well..I would be so freaking grateful..She’s rich..she lives in gorgeous Malibu and travels the world..has a gorgeous husband who has to deal, let’s not kid ourselves, w/her ego.. and she pretty much has it all..So what the hell is she complaining about? I think this came out because she wants to stay relevant..Gypsy is not going to happen..HOW??? Unless someone else plays the mother..because Roslyn Russell was in her early 50’s when she played Natalie Woods mother..and from there it just seems like some joke…Musicals rarely work…RARELY and this new Star is Born w/Lady Ga Ga..really??? Why do they have to do a 5th or 4th remake?? There are enough already..and that Jon Peters…He’s one..He said he voted for Trump and knows she’s pissed at him for that..whatever…NOT everyone loves your buddy Hillary Barbra so get over it….

• Sal U. Lloyd says:

1983 was NOT a very good year for movies. It had already been infected by RAIDERS

• Jesus, stop preaching and get a clue.

29. Wow! So many rude and negative comments. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and you don’t have to like what she says or does. But some of the comments on here are downright nasty. Even if you don’t like Barbra, can you at least have some respect for her and her work as well as some consideration for those of us who appreciate her contributions to the arts?

30. I have liked Barbara since being very young, I saw her first in Funny Girl and to say my young self was impressed is an understatement and she seems to be one of the singers who can cross the divide into acting. All actors do bummer films no matter how good they are no-one is great 100% of the time. However I find it hard to believe the ballsy and quite frankly formidable Barbara would have been deterred so easily?

31. skank says:

Streisand you overrated sanctimonious nothing. You can’t take it because Kathryn Bigelow beat you to a best director Oscar.

32. This person: >>>>>Ida Lupino<<<<<< was a genuine pioneer.

33. F. Ketchum says:

I’m thinking Booby has had a little too much of herself in the last decade or three. Sure she can warble but having seen a KD Lang concert I was amazed at the power that woman has in her voice.
      Blows Streisand out the door..!
      And she doesn’t think she’s Gods gift to humanity, or fancy herself a politician as does our Baaabs..

34. David K says:

as someone who read the book Prince of Tides right before the movie, I thought she shouldn’t have put herself, and her son, in the film. Also, caught it on tv recently, it doesn’t hold up well, the NY parts of the story are pedestrian, the real magic is in the flashbacks, Southern scenes. Again, she should’ve put someone else in the Lowenstein role.

35. Ken says:

I’m a dude and I’ve been an ardent admirer of Ms. Streisand for decades. But YENTL – so delicately touching in so many ways – was marred by the bombastic helicopter-shot ending on the ocean (it reminded me, and many others, of the tugboat sequence in FUNNY GIRL; it felt like an obvious riff on William Wyler’s great film. And the focus in PRINCE OF TIDES was ludicrously shifted from Nolte’s family issues (he was great btw, as was Kate Nelligan) to Streisand’s silky legs and perfectly manicured nails. (And what was with George Carlin playing the most unconvincing gay neighbour in Hollywood history??)

I’m all for gender equality and equal opportunity…but she is not of Kathryn Bigelow’s calibre. I just wish Streisand had directed some lower-budgeted experimental movies just for the hell of it — to hone her craft, to expand her cinematic vocabulary, rather than keep returning to her old, tired complaints.

I love you, Babs, but honestly…

36. Janis says:

Barbara. You have always done us proud. Please over look the ignorance of some people. I’m sure that you do. You have been a wonderful inspiration to women and the your people. I am only half Jewish. Still am proud to be part of the tribe. Lol. God bless or. Burach a shem

• Bob says:

It has nothing to do with her being a woman or Jewish. She just hasn’t directed anything deserving of a win. Yentyl didn’t deserve a nod. Maybe prince of tides but after looking at the list that year it didn’t deserve it either.

37. Authoritarian Slayer says:

Streisand effect.

38. Leon says:

Whats funny is she is being interviewed from someone who knowingly put an anti semite and racist in His movie. Hollywood sucks.

• did you know Barbra Streisand called John Boorman and asked to see a rough cut of Deliverance, she told him “i want to see a man raped for a change”

• Moore says:

wow Leon, what with Mels oscar nomination, upcoming acting roles, and an announced next directing project you must really think Hollywood sucks. If I were you I would just stop going to movies.

• Bob says:

it just means that money trumps racism. Mel did his time and the suits gave him a shot he made money so they ignore his garbage until he does it again.

39. Lisa says:

I saw both those films when they were released and without having to re-watch them since, and I can tell you I won’t forget the performances, including Barbra Streisand’s. This whole ‘not good enough’ excuse is getting really tired. Why can’t it be called hate speech? I mean, if you replaced the word ‘woman’ with ‘Black’ or ‘Jewish’ or ‘Asian’ then it would be considered hate speech. So why is these offensive statements towards women allowed to go on?
      It is so obvious that whenever a woman expresses her disappointment of being excluded, some white (old as the dinosaurs) male Anglo Saxon who is threatened of losing what measly power he has, has this uncontrollable urge to put her down. There have been studies done on this sort of misogynist attitude, and it actually starts way back in grade school.
      It seems men still want to play all the parts, just like in Shakespeare days, where men played women on stage. But now, especially with Yentil that would have been difficult.

• Hysterical women like you only divert attention from genuinely serious issues.

The only hate speech I’ve read here comes from you and your misandry against men and racism against whites.

• Wayne says:

As an aside and comparison, Jodie Foster’s films have, largely, been exceptionally good and deserving of praise and awards.

• Wayne says:

Because saying the films that someone directed, regardless of gender, ISN’T Hate speech. I’m sure that, even if she had been nominated for an award, her strong personality may put some people off. I could careless about that (as a director you have to have a strong personality to put up with all,of the crap that comes with the job). Having said that, there are plenty of directors that haven’t ever won an Oscar for directing regardless of gender.

40. Steve says:

Babs’ ego gets the best of her, yet again. This article is a joke.

• Rich says:

You obviously came to this article with set ideas about Streisand. That speaks to your ego. If the article is a joke, you should state why.

41. Millicent says:

Having seen both Yentl and Prince of Tides, it wasn’t discrimination, Babs. Be glad they received the noms the received; neither is an award worthy movie.

• ranger1rg says:

Actually, they’re both great movies.

• Lisa says:

Why are there always bullshit comments attacking women on here. If it were up to Wayne, Steve and ‘Millicent’, men would still be playing the role of women in film as they did on stage in Shakespeare’s time.

• Millicent says:

I am a woman, and all I did was say I didn’t find either Y or PoT to be award worthy. My comments were in no way out of line. We, and I include myself as a woman, s/b able to accept the opinions of others that are stated reasonably.

And ranger1rg, I stand by my opinion: both movies were okay, but not award worthy.

• Wayne says:

Lisa, I’m not attacking her because of her gender. I’m all for including any worthwhile film for awards regardless of who directed it. You’re making assumption here–I said nothing about her gender. I watched both films and they just aren’t very good films. Katherin Bigalow deserved won an Oscar for The Hurt Locker because it was a terrific, well made film. Barbra’s films are technically proficient but they just aren’t very good. Assuming that, because I’m male, I’m a misogynist is doing so without any evidence.

• mickeyaugrec says:

That’s Horse-Shit Lisa. and you know it. Attacking people as sexist or misogynistic or whatever because they do not share your aesthetic point of view is a cretin move, whether from a man or a woman.

42. Wayne says:

The truth is Barba, most of your films just aren’t very good. That’s what cost you Oscars. To believe otherwise is to be deluded.

• look at The Piano (1993)

now look at The Hurt Locker (2009)

is anyone going to tell me streisand was snubbed for directing the prince of tides

• Lisa says:

I know right? Both her roles should have been played by men!!! Then it would be as magnificent as all get out!!! Don’t you think?

• Bob says:

1) No one said that. 2) You are making an acting argument. Again which no one on here said or agrees with. The comments are about the movie quality and if the directing deserved an award… not the acting.

• Sherry S. says:

And yet… receiving 5 nominations for one film that she directed, and 7 nominations for the other, would seem to prove your point wrong.

Yentl especially taught me that women have voices that deserve to be heard, my own included. It helped and encouraged me to start speaking up more often, back when I was so introverted that it was very difficult for me to do so. It also taught me that I didn’t have to follow the path that everyone else had followed before me: “Tell me where is it written what it is I’m meant to be… or if it’s written anywhere?”

Her films may not speak to you personally, but that doesn’t mean they’re not good.

• blOwen says:

The inverse of your assessment is also true: her films may speak to you personally, but that doesn’t mean they are good.

• Wayne says:

As an aside, I’ve seen films in the past be nominated for awards (and sometimes win) thst didn’t deserve to or were inferior to other films that weren’t nominated. In many cases films get overlooked for a variety of reasons. Being nominated could have been something as simple as lobbying for the nomination, calling in favors as it is about the quality of the films themselves. To suggest that award nominations somehow indicates that they are great or even very good films, is almost the same as suggesting that the money they made suggests they were great films. By that defintion, Transformers is a great piece of cinema and Michael Bay, an extremely gifted director from a technical point of view (but one who lacks the ability to direct a good drama without explosions) , is fr rom a great movie director IMHO.

• Wayne says:

The fact that they do speak to you personally doesn’t necessarily mean they are good films to begin with either. Before I wrote my original comment I asked my daughter and wife what they thought of her films (the two that she has directed) if they thought they were good films and both responded with an “it was OK” response. They are all technically proficient (which would explain some of the awards they were nominated for) and they were well made just IMHO not very good. End of story. I also think that, if she had made more films as a director, there’s no doubt she would have improved. Some people get it right with the first films and some it takes a couple under the belt for them to find their voice. To your point about a film not speaking to someone, that’s true of many films. I’ve spoken to people, for example, that hate “The Prestige” and think it’s an awful film. Did it “speak” to me? Yep but, hey, that doesn’t mean that others aren’t entitled to think it’s an awful film.