‘Avatar 2’ Delayed Again, James Cameron Says 2018 Release ‘Is Not Happening’

Courtesy of 20th Century Fox

Audiences will have to wait even longer to return to Pandora.

Director James Cameron revealed that the sequel to the highest-grossing movie of all time worldwide will no longer be released Christmas 2018.

Related

James Cameron Making Four ‘Avatar’ Sequels

The second installment in the planned five-film franchise has been delayed for a third time, after it was initially scheduled to hit theaters in December 2014. The other three films were originally slated for release during Christmastime 2020, 2022, and 2023. The director didn’t mention whether the other sequels are behind schedule as well, but those releases will likely be affected, too, as the films will be shot simultaneously.

“Well, 2018 is not happening. We haven’t announced a firm release date,” Cameron told The Toronto Star when asked what he could disclose about the development. “What people have to understand is that this is a cadence of releases. So, we’re not making ‘Avatar 2,’ we’re making ‘Avatar 2,’ ‘3,’ ‘4,’ and ‘5.’ It’s an epic undertaking. It’s not unlike building the Three Gorges dam.”

The filmmaker said the movies will consume the next eight years of his life.

Related

Sigourney Weaver Jake Chessum Variety

Sigourney Weaver: Next ‘Avatar’ Scripts Are ‘Many Times More Amazing’ Than First One

“So I know where I’m going to be for the next eight years of my life,” he added. “It’s not an unreasonable time frame if you think about it. It took us four-and-a-half years to make one movie and now we’re making four. We’re full tilt boogie right now. This is my day job and pretty soon we’ll be 24/7. We’re pretty well designed on all our creatures and sets. It’s pretty exciting stuff. I wish I could share with the world. But we have to preserve a certain amount of showmanship and we’re going to draw that curtain when the time is right.”

Stars Sam Worthington and Zoe Saldana will reprise their roles in the sequels, while Sigourney Weaver, whose character died in the 2009 original, will play a new role.

“In my opinion, the three scripts I’ve read so far are many times more amazing than the first one in terms of their scope,” Weaver told Variety late last year. “He did a lot of the heavy lifting in the first movie, establishing the family and the relationships and the world, and now he really gets to play.”

“Avatar” hauled $2.8 billion worldwide and won three Oscars in 2010.

Fox didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

POPULAR VARIETY VIDEO:

1. isv says:

I loved Avatar, specially the 2,35:1 3-D version, it’s like Titanic, it’s a masterpiece, so I think the sequels will be great. Well, It’s something that no one had done before. To me, Cameron is the number one. So, I think we can wait two years more, because the result will be amazing. Like the first one.

2. I loved Avatar to pieces, can’t wait to see the new versions.
    As one aspiring to write movies the entire concept of a movie based on Pandora is enticing.
    Only sequel I’m looking 4ward2 as much is Prometheus.

3. Nik K. says:

Alright, not gonna lie about it. I watched the movie about 30 times by now. I totally agree that the script is pretty weak sauce, but you should consider the fact that’s it’s not easy to show a new kind of planet with eco-system and population + have the best script ever. A 2 hour movie can’t do such a thing.
    (maybe a bad comparison) Look at LOTR. For people who didn’t read the books, it takes more than 1 episode to fully understand everything.

I don’t care how long we need to wait for every other movie of avatar. I will watch them all in theaters.

4. Bill B. says:

One can only imagine all the money lost if audiences are not interested in this in 2018 & beyond. I’m not, but I didn’t quite get the brouhaha about the first one and after a recent second look, I like it even less. It’s all about visuals as the writing is very weak. It was a 3D phenomenon and they seem to think lightning will strike twice 9 years later. Maybe, but it will need to offer something much different and better writing wouldn’t hurt either.

5. loco73 says:

At this point I don’t really care. Not that I did. I went to see the first Avaturd on IMAX when it came out, because I used to like and appreciate James Cameron, but I thought it was a thoroughly mediocre, generic and lacklustre movie and the visuals had no major effect on me either way. So I couldn’t give a damn if there are more Avaturds down the pipeline. I don’t need to see blue aliens having sex with plants to be impressed by a movie. James Cameron was a good director and whatever mojo he had, its been gone a long time ago. Now he has become a bloated, self-indulgent douche. Check this into the category of not giving a rates ass…

6. Lex says:

Do we want to go back to Pandora? I’m giving the Disney park seven years, then they’ll rebrand it and Avatar will sink back into mediocrity

7. SmartMFer says:

No, thank you.

8. Occultology says:

Whom the Film Gods would destroy, they first make mad.

9. Tim James says:

We didn’t ask, Jim.

10. adam says:

From a purely financial perspective, I don’t think this huge gamble by Cameron will pay off.The first film was a huge hit mostly due to the fact that the popularity of 3D was at its peak. Whatever momentum in interest that film created for a sequel has long since evaporated.

11. Steve says:

Scrap it James, nobody cares.

12. Practical Voice in the Hollywood Wilderness says:

“It’s not an unreasonable time frame if you think about it. ”

Except that the first film came out EIGHT YEARS AGO and you haven’t directed a film since. Yikes.

13. millerfilm says:

The sequel that so few have asked for is delayed…again. :-)

14. qubert says:

Doubtful most audiences will want to sit through Avatar 2 given the original story was pathetic, weak and tired. Forget 3, 4 and 5!

• millerfilm says:

It was interesting as a 3D experience, but that was it.

• adam says:

The first film was a massive hit due to the 3D visuals anyway. People didn’t go for the story. I think this is why the follow up films will be big box office disappointments.