YouTube’s PewDiePie Apologizes for Using the N-Word: ‘I’m Just an Idiot’

PewDiePie - N-word response
via YouTube

Popular YouTube personality and gamer PewDiePie has issued an apology for uttering the n-word during a video game live-stream.

PewDiePie, the Swedish vlogger whose real name is Felix Kjellberg, used the racial slur during a live stream Sunday about an opponent he was fighting in PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds game: “What a f—ing n—–… Sorry, but what the f—.”

In a video posted Tuesday, PewDiePie said, “It was something I said in the heat of the moment. I said the worst word I could possibly think of, and it just sort of slipped out. I’m not going to make any excuses as to why it did, because there are no excuses for it.”

Related

pewdiepie

PewDiePie Blurts Out N-Word During Video-Game Live Stream, Faces New Backlash

Added Kjellberg, “It’s not that I think I can say or do whatever I want and get away with it. That’s not it at all — I’m just an idiot… I’m really sorry if I offended, hurt or disappointed anyone with all of this. Being in the position I am, I should know better… I owe it to my audience and to myself to do better than this, because I know I’m better than this.”

PewDiePie’s YouTube channel has more than 57 million subscribers, making it the most-followed channel on the video service.

The n-word controversy blew up after Kjellberg earlier this year lost his deals with Disney’s Maker Studios and YouTube, after publicity surrounding his pranks to pay random strangers to hold up a sign that said “Death to All Jews” and reports that several of his videos featured Nazi imagery. YouTube cancelled season two of “Scare PewDiePie” on YouTube Red and pulled his channel from its premium-advertising program.

“I’m disappointed in myself, because it seems like I’ve learned nothing from these past controversies,” PewDiePie said in the video Tuesday.

After reports Sunday about PewDiePie using the n-word, Campo Santo co-founder Sean Vanaman, whose studio develops the game Firewatch, tweeted that the company plans to file DMCA takedown requests to try to remove all videos of Kjellberg playing his company’s titles.

Watch PewDiePie’s full response:

1. Drkrush says:

So the pope says birth control is evil and millions of people in South Africa get aids because condoms are “against gods will” and somehow a popular youtuber saying the N word offhandedly is racist????? Mmmkay

2. karlmarxsux says:

Apologizing just makes it worse and caters to the lowest common denominator of oxygen sucking collective minded individuals who are offended by…….WORDS. Pewdie dude should have owned it and said ” get over it “

3. karlmarxsux says:

So what ???? Peoplew have gone insane !!!!!

4. MMohamadalim says:

but is true niggers are low race allah made one better than another!

5. Killallniggers says:

Nigger, nigga, negroid, nigur, slave! cry me a river negros~

6. PewDiePie says:

What an insincere apology. This moron will continue to say it off mic. Why was that word the first to come to mind? Why was it so casually dropped? Guarantee this swede foreign fuck says it to his white friends in conversation.

7. i’m guessing he’ll be forgiven by YouTube, continue to rack up subscribers and popularity. they’ll NEVER get rid of him.

8. Pol Pot says:

Jesus f–ing Christ. First off people need to get off their high horse about someone’s usage of racial slurs. I mean come on. Everything from movies, to music, video games, books (if you still read them), to your gen X’/Yers Mom and Dads use of language, how in the hell does anyone have the right to be upset about racial slurs when crap like that is inundated in various “artistic” elements. Go after those people and the ones who market it, not the sorry saps who get programmed from it.Forgive them, for they not know what they do. Yes, it’s programming. Advertising, music, film–Mass Media: telling you what/how to eat, shit, and f*ck. People do not have their own mind anymore. Each progressive generation gets more dumbed down. You are a product of your environment. Yeah, keep denying that while you listen to your “music”. Chris Rock said something with HAMMER-HAIL-HEAD accuracy. Remember what he said? He said something along the lines of “I love black people, but I hate n*ggers”. And if you can appreciate that joke, then you know just how fucked we all are. This is such a f*cking joke, I now understand why people mass-murder,or just kill themselves, and I can’t say I blame them. How can you stand up against something (racism) when its perpetuated everywhere from ALL sides? You’re eating your own dog food. So, even the sides that are “right” are every bit full of sh*t as the other sides. This is hopeless.

9. Roger says:

Old media is dying. People like Pewd`s are the future of our generation. Good-bye dinosaurs.

10. Lee says:

Your story is incorrect, as you stated “about an opponent who was training fire on him”, what happened was an opponent downed his friend and then instead of shooting at pewdiepie he ( the opponent ) took the time to go after the person laying on the ground and finish him off. This does not excuse the slur but it makes more sense than what you wrote which sounds like he threw the insult simply at someone that shot at him ~ please correct your story or watch the actual video and get your facts right!

• Ellie says:

He was playing a video game. No one was going after his downed friend, someone was going after another player of a video game.

• Lee says:

By the way Ellie, the game he was playing is in Duo’s ie: two people playing together as a team, so yes it was his downed friend

• Lee says:

The game is called PUBG I was watching it when it happened, getting downed means someone shoots you so that you cannot get up without help, Brad was the person downed, if you don’t know what I am talking about, go look at the actual video, if you don’t know the game or havent seen the footage then don’t comment because you are just speculating I was there

• Roger says:

Bro, you are talking to a dishonest MSM. They see their fleeting numbers and of course they will take his words or skew them to villainize Pewd`s. They`re desperate hypocrites who are filled with glee, when a huge Youtuber messes up.

More Digital News from Variety