Broadband, Wi-Fi More Important Than Clean Underwear for Apartment Dwellers, Survey Finds

Comcast broadband apartment survey
James Bareham/Comcast

For apartment renters, high-speed internet and Wi-Fi are more important amenities than having in-room laundry facilities, according to a new survey.

About 34% of respondents ranked Wi-Fi access as the most important feature for apartment living, followed by 25% who said high-speed internet was No. 1, per a survey commissioned by Comcast’s Xfinity Communities, the cable giant’s division dedicated to multidwelling units. Just 13% of those surveyed said having a washer and dryer in the apartment was the most critical factor.

The survey was conducted by research firm Precision Sample, which polled 205 building managers, building owners and real-estate developers of multifamily properties in the U.S. between December 7-10, 2016. The study has a margin of error of 5.8%.

Among those surveyed, 87% agreed that technology plays either an “extremely important” or “very important” role in keeping residents satisfied. Approximately 75% said most prospective residents ask about communications services (internet, phone, and TV) in their building prior to renting.

Comcast says Xfinity Communities currently provides services to more than 189,000 properties, representing about 14.7 million living units, across the U.S.

Other findings from the survey:

• 30% said they believe quality communications services boosts property values by at least 20%
  • 88% agreed that tenants 18-34 prefer high-tech amenities more than residents 52+
  • 82% said they install the latest technology in order to future-proof their properties
  • 60% said they plan to make improvements related to energy efficiency this year

_____________________________

1. MAHENDRA SINGH GAUR says:

I want to give my property on rent i.e. Agriculture and residential for installing the Mobile Towers. The Property is situated in RAJASTHAN RURAL AREA NEAR AJMER /PUSHKAR and very closed to National Highway

2. Susan Daniels says:

And society slowly rots away.

• Its called go to a laundromat, i would rather do that then go to a local internet cafe with zero ip control/security and get hacked. At least with control of my own network I close off ports on network/wifi.

3. Ooooh that smell….Can’t you smell that smell….Ooooh that smell….The smell of crap surrounds you

4. Berzrkr50 says:

This title of this article is misleading because it says nothing about in-house laundry facilities. I’m of the opinion that if I had to go to the laundry mat to do my wash in exchange for wi-fi, I’m gonna do it. Now if you asked me if I’d take clean underwear over wifi, then yes. No skid marks in my house…

5. Eric says:

Doesnt surprise me when it comes to women.

6. Nugs says:

Wifi is life. With wifi I can get whatever else I need.

7. disgusting and pathetic

8. James Brigham (Bigg) bunyon says:

Wi-Fi is only more important because the silly little snowflake users have never experiences significant shortages. Let some natural event cut off the water, electricity, heating gas or the ability to get food for a week and and you’ll find an empty stomach or severe thirst will rule their minds. It’s all a matter of perspective and priority and physical discomforts (cold, thirst, hunger, pain and etc.) will trump their smartphones and tablets in short order.

9. Steve says:

I won’t ‘t rent a place unless it has a washer and dryer. I can get wifi.

10. Rex says:

What a THOROUGHLY misleading headline. The vast MAJORITY of apartment buildings have had COMMUNAL LAUNDRY FACILITIES since time immemorial. Rental units, even in NEW buildings, rarely if ever have in-unit washers and dryers. Equating the lack of the latter with a tolerance for dirty underwear is the kind of thing one expects to see in the phony click bait banners that plague this site and so many others. Anything for clicks, eh? Is it really that bad?

• WallytheDog says:

I haven’t rented an apt since 1997, but when I did live in the Dallas TX area in the 1980’s & 90’s, every decent apt had hook ups for a full-size washer & dryer.

11. Chuck Shults says:

Lol well ya I need wifi to be able to do my job and work from home. On premise laundry is secondary. If I have to make arrangements to go to a laundromat, so be it.

12. Josh Davis says:

I wear ’em front. I wear ’em back. I go inside out. Then I go front and back.

13. ImaHippyBurning says:

Technology will be the downfall of Mankind! Correct that – It Already Is!

14. Toni says:

Uhhhhh yah this is 2017…….
    Not 2001…….
    why is this article news worthy.
    And
    for the cost of a rental with wash/dryr the rent is higher, like buying a new mach every month. Sooooooo
    what’s your point?????

15. joechute says:

A few times a day i turn the WIFI off so those “stinkers” leave…

16. snip says:

How nice…when you live in very close proximity to others you don’t care if you smell.

17. Shayne Nelson says:

The news story here seems me to be that one company owns almost 15 million apartments across the nation… who the hell is Xfinity Communities and how did they end up with all the property? How much have they boosted average rents since they acquired all those properties?

18. TexBill says:

The survey was commissioned by (paid for by) Commiecast, the big internet provider for the unlucky people who don’t have a better choice available.

• Larry Glock says:

Could be worse….

You could have Spectrum (aka, “Rectum”), which does nothing but double it’s self-promotional advertisement, jacks up your monthly bills $20, and gives you absolutely nothing in additional services.

• joechute says:

Got that right, Stuck with Comcast.

More Digital News from Variety