‘The Voice’ Renewed Through Season 13 — Which Coaches Are Returning?

The Voice Season 13 Miley Cyrus
Courtesy: Trae Patton/NBC

The Voice” will be back for at least two more seasons — and with many familiar faces turning around in those red chairs.

NBC has renewed the hit singing competition show for seasons 12 and 13, Variety has learned.

“The Voice” is currently in the midst of its 11th season with coaches Adam Levine, Blake Shelton, Alicia Keys and Miley Cyrus, plus host Carson Daly.

In step with its typical rotating coach pattern, Cyrus will sit out of Season 12, which will see the return of former host Gwen Stefani, alongside Levine, Shelton and Keys. Daly will also return as host for that season, which will begin in February 2017.

Cyrus is confirmed to be a coach on Season 13. At this time, no other coaches have been announced for that season, which will premiere in fall 2017.

Related

Miley Cyrus Variety Warwick Saint

Miley Cyrus on ‘The Voice,’ Donald Trump and Coming Out

“We can’t wait to experience the unique chemistry and energy Gwen, Alicia, Blake and Adam will bring to Season 12,” said Paul Telegdy, president of alternative and reality group, NBC Entertainment. “With Miley returning for Season 13, we’re truly ecstatic about the unmatched musical know-how and talent coming together in our coming seasons.”

The double renewal is a strong sign of support from NBC, though the pickup comes hardly as a surprise. “The Voice” ranks as the top alternative series on TV, and has won three Emmys, most recently for outstanding reality competition at this year’s award show.

Cyrus, one of Variety’s honorees for our bi-annual Power of Women issues, recently told us in an interview that she wasn’t sure if she’d do more seasons of “The Voice,” saying, “I don’t know. I definitely would like to if it made sense. I haven’t done the live shows yet. I want to see how that feels. They might be a lot more pressure.”

While Cyrus is the only confirmed coach for Season 13, insiders insist that there is no reason to question the status of mainstays Levine and Shelton, at this point. Rather, the announcement was strategically made today because the network is excited to have Cyrus back on board for “The Voice” and wanted to get the word out, a source explains. The series regularly plays a game of rotating musical chairs at the coaches’ panel, which has also featured Christina Aguilera, CeeLo Green, Shakira, Pharrell Williams and Usher over the years.

“The Voice” currently airs on Mondays and Tuesdays on NBC.

1. Hopeful says:

Wow, it’s amazing how many haters there are in this world!!! We all complain on what’s going on in the news and in politics yet we trash people that we have never met. If you don’t want to watch something on television, don’t watch it. No need to criticize someone who has given back to charities that you have never heard of. Put your life story on the internet, let people trash you and see how you are judged. Come on people, quit the hate and embrace the fact that we are allowed to choose what we want to watch on television. And don’t ever forget where you come from.

2. Markeitta Conner says:

I have watched the voice since it started but i will not watch it with miley cyrus my husband started watching it with me this year season 12 but he will not watch it with miley i know several people that wont watch

3. J.Kirkwood says:

Adam and Blake yes,,,,,,,NO Miley. She is disgusting.

4. they say,that MILEY,will be on season 13 of the VOICE,also maybe GWEN i cannot stand the 2 of them,they drive me crazy.if ADAM and BLAKAE are going to quite the VOICE i will not be watching it anymore,it would,just not be the same,they are the VOICE

5. P. Pierce says:

I will never watch the Voice with the low life Miley Cyrus as a judge!!!! She is a disgrace to herself into women! The only time I’ve ever missed the season is when she’s been on there very disappointed that she’s coming back May never watch the boys again.

6. IF Adam and Blake leave the Voice so do I and all people who enjoy real talent. Plus the laughs make for a fun night!

7. Theresa says:

I am a great fan but f the Voice but if Miley Cyrus is going to be one of the coaches I WILL NOT be watching the season!!!!!

8. Sue Mikulski says:

Please not Miley Cyrus, so many of us can’t tolerate her, Alisha is first class and truly gives incredible coaching. I can’t stomach watching the show when Miley is on, and know so many last year who didn’t watch it for that reason!

9. Tracy says:

Chorus line play Modern-family clarity Newsise

10. Brenda says:

Hate to hear Miley is coming back :( My family and friends will definitely find another station to turn to. She takes this otherwise amazing show down down down. So sad, and I thought she was leaving America anyway !!!!!

11. MLG says:

That confirms my wife and I will skip season 13. She was horrible in the previous season, terrible dynamics between her and the other legit coaches.

12. Deborah Riggins says:

I won’t be watching season 13. Miley Cyrus makes me puke.

13. Gayle says:

LOVE Blake and Adam as the 2 main coaches. I like the way NBC keeps it fresh rotating the other 2 coaches. Season 12 is great with Alicia, Gwen, Adam and Blake.
    Did not like Milely Cyrus on season 11. I won’t watch when she coaches. Keep it classy VOICE!!!

14. Dennis Chase says:

The Voice will lose more viewers if you bring back Cyrus. She is absolutely lousy on the show. Last year was the 1st time that we quit watching the show due to her. The present show has a great cast. We love the fun they have with each other plus the contestants. Cyrus is totally annoying.

15. sj says:

Get rid of Gwen. What ever you’re paying her it’s waaay too much. If she thinks anyone wants to see her on tv in a bra much less the rest, she’s got early dementia. Blake’s not even funny with her around. It’s seems he’s afraid to upset her. She’s ruining his natural charisma. Where as f…ing him has greatly increased her notariaty. Wake up Blake! She’s hurting your fan base.

16. Marie says:

Gwen and Blake are BORING together. Feels like being back at high school! Bring back Miley or Christina. I just skip over the Gwen and Blake kissy kissy stuff.

17. Randi says:

I loved Miley on the voice! It’s like Blake and Gwen are playing footsie with their chairs. It’s sickening. Miley was fun to watch. Can’t wait till she is back.

18. Fran Delap says:

I do not want to see Miley cyrus or gwen stefani any more. They are both too sleezy for me.

19. Linda says:

PLEASE, I quit watching the VOICE upon seeing Miley sitting on the judges panel. If she is on I will NOT be watching. Sad because the contestants should be heard.

20. Miley needs to go her immoral behavior say enough- horrible role modes . This show is leaning too far left . Pharrell, to vocal in support of immoral Hellry the terrible role model, liar, rapist supporter. John legand, micheal O etc. CLEAN UP YOUR ACT VOICE!

21. Gael says:

Won’t tune in if Cyrus is on. Didn’t watch this year because of her. Not crazy about Keys…she comes across as dumb to me. Not a good judge at all. It’s all about her and not the singers. Blake and Adam and all other previous judges made the show about the contestants and not themselves…(e.g. Alicia and Miley had to show everybody how good “they” sang it). Be nice to see another country musician or someone like Michael Buble, Michael Bolton, Adele, etc. Tired of the childish me, me, me judges and the desperate ones…..

22. Scott Nelsen says:

I too, will be following season 12. I have been a fan for all of the eleven seasons but will not support or watch season 13 with Miley Cyrus. How can she behave in the manner she has for so many years and turn around and shame others for their beliefs. Sorry NBC…I think you are missing the boat and will lose thousands of fans. Such a great show…so sad. :-(

23. Jeff says:

The voice is a great show as long as they keep political loud mouth stars off the show as judges (Alicia is a divider) – The great revolt against the media machine and all the players using the podium of fame for division will continue and this wonderful show will be one of the casualties. To bad!
    Producers should make better choices.
    Famous people should not use their podiums and their opinions to sway lessor folk to believe that they know what they are talking about. They are opinions and should be kept to themselves or expressed thru their music or movies. These opinions are made by entertainers and the people can choose to watch or listen if they like, but any other means of expressing a belief should be kept off the podium of stardom. All these loud mouth dividers need to have a reality check. Boycott the voice.

24. Paul hulse says:

Will not watch as long as Cyrus is in the line up

25. Whipple says:

This will be the last season of Voice we will be watching. We suffered through that season with Cyrus. Will watch season 12 but not 13. To bad, we love that show.

26. Debbie says:

Smiley is a genuine–she actually cries because she knows the pressure the candidates are feeling. Gwen and Christina use the show to promote themselves and make-up companies because they they are like Tammy Faye Baker wearing too much makeup because they are hiding flaws they do not want anyone to see. I think they should ask Paul McCartney to be a coach.

27. Deloris says:

Please no, the only season I’ve missed was 11 be cuz can’t stand to look at or listen to the voice of Mily Cyrus. Please don’t bring her back – PLEASE!!

28. Kayla jean says:

Hi my name is Kayla and I love watching the voice I’ve been watching since season 7, I’ve really enjoyed watching Blake, Adam and Alicia and all the other women that’s been on there. But I really would like to see Justin bieber as a coach I think that would be so awesome to see, I’m such a big fan of his and it’s been my dream to meet him one day, so please if anyone is reading this please try and have Justin on the show as a coach or mentor i really would love to see that happen and I’m sure other people would too!

29. Sue says:

Don’t bring back Gwen.. she’s not a good judge. I came back to the Voice because Mikey and Keys made it much better. Loved this season.

30. Hazyeyes says:

“The Voice” Season 11 Top 20:

Team Alicia

1. Wé McDonald
2. Kylie Rothfield
3. Christian Cuevas
4. Michael Sanchez
5. Josh Halverson

Team Miley

6. Darby Walker
    7. Ali Caldwell
    8. Sophia Urista
    9. Aaron Gibson
    10. Belle Jewel (speculation)

Team Blake

11. Sundance Head
12. Dana Harper
13. Austin Allsup
14. Gabe Broussard (speculation)
15. Jason Warrior

Team Adam

16. Billy Gilman
    17. Simone Gundy
    18. Nolan Neal (speculation)
    19. Riley Elmore