‘The View’ Axes Michelle Collins as Co-Host (EXCLUSIVE)

Michelle Collins Fired from 'The View'
Stephen Lovekin/Variety/REX/Shutterstock

Almost a year after she started on the program, ABC executives have decided to cut comedian Michelle Collins as a co-host of “The View,” Variety has learned.

Collins joined the show last July after a lengthy trial period, where she impressed viewers (as well as moderator Whoopi Goldberg) with her well-timed zingers and commentary. ABC bosses were heralding her as a fresh face of the struggling daytime talk show, but they experienced buyers’ remorse shortly after she became a permanent co-host for season 19 last fall.

Starting in January, Collins’ co-hosting duties shrank to just one or two appearances a week, and ABC executives recently made the decision not to renew her contract, according to two sources with knowledge of the talks. Collins, who is on vacation in Europe, is expected to stay on “The View” through the end of the summer.

“Michelle is smart, opinionated and funny,” said an ABC spokesperson. “She’s been a great addition to the panel this year. When we are ready to make an announcement about next season, we will.”

Rumors about Collins’ exit started to swirl almost as soon as she began her stint on “The View.” It was a chaotic time on the talk show, with “The View” suffering from a staff exodus—with the departures of co-hosts Rosie O’Donnell, Nicolle Wallace, and Rosie Perez, following Barbara Walters’ retirement one season prior. To fight a steep ratings slide, Disney-ABC Television Group president Ben Sherwood brought in a new team to revamp the program, including executive producer Candi Carter and consultant Hilary Estey McLoughlin. For season 19’s premiere last September, these execs cobbled together a Hot Topics table with six rotating co-hosts (instead of five), to see what would stick.

According to knowledgeable sources, the new managers soured on Collins early, and criticized her internally for sidetracking the Hot Topics debates with personal stories and other asides. In an election year, “The View” has been trying to re-emphasize politics as a way to gain buzz (and has seen an uptick of 9 percent in total viewers from last year’s May sweeps). But the 34-year-old personality’s areas of expertise were in pop culture, social media and “The Bachelor.”

It didn’t help that Collins’ time on the show was marked by two unpleasant controversies: ABC lost advertisers after a discussion where she criticized nurses; and in October, she came under fire for mocking Republican presidential candidate Carly Fiorina’s face.

Without Collins at the table, “The View” is in the midst of yet another reboot for season 20, which launches in September. Goldberg’s contract expires in August, and the network has been in prolonged negotiations to convince her to stay as “The View’s” moderator, fully aware that the Oscar-winning actress (who joined in 2007) is a key ingredient to the show’s success.

Although ABC bosses were down on Symone early in the season for her lack of knowledge about politics, the ex-Disney star might get a reprieve. Sources say the network is on the fence about bringing her back (with her supporters pointing out that, at 30, she’s the millennial voice for Hot Topics). The rest of the panel for season 20 will consist of a combination of current co-hosts like Joy Behar, Paula Faris and Candace Cameron-Bure (who may not return due to shooting Netflix’s “Fuller House”), along with one or two wildcard names.

1. Ginger says:

The view only wants a person who is 1 a democrat 2. Supports gay and lesbian relationships 3. Has no religion preference. They lost me what a horrible bias show ABC has turned into noting but trash.

2. Still love, love, love The View and I am an avid fan!. Actually enjoyed the various transitional stages throughout the years because I understand that in order to remain interesting, you must be open to change. Michelle was great, but not knowledgeable in enough areas of discussion.

I never think the panel is out to convince me to change my thoughts, feelings or perceptions on any given subject matter because I understand that they are merely presenting and sharing their diverse points of “view” in order to promote an ongoing conversation, initiate interest and to inspire further research after the show on the part of the viewers. Without a strong moderator (Whoopi), we wouldn’t hear from each panelist and they would frequently just run a muck!

When I disagree with someone’s opinion, I don’t hate them or disparage their character, intelligence or accomplishments. We just don’t see eye-to-eye on that particular subject matter. When I disagree with most of what is being said, it’s time to find something else to watch. If you don’t understand the mission, concept and intent of this program, you probably hate this show. Not every TV program is for everyone, but there are so many others to choose from!

3. Louise says:

Please, please, please, please just do the world a favor and just cancel the show already!!!!!

4. Pat says:

its time the view give it up about trump. Hes president get over it. if thats all you got to talk about then that means no one wants to be on your show unless they are to bit. it just shows your IQ. Giving you my e_mail means your going to bother all the time thats the only way u get rating.

5. Jeanne Rodgers says:

You talk about making fun of Carley but the “B” Joy disgusts me about her bashing Trump every day!!! How fair is that? She is not funny anymore!!
    I can’t watch this show anymore. You got rid of Michelle ? She was a class act and would not talk trash. Why don’t you just call your show ” trash talk”

6. Karen Rankel says:

Why can Whoopi and the others call the U.S. president “the new guy” that is insulting to all the citizens of the U.S. whoopie needs to openly apologize to everyone for lack of respect What kind of person does show lack of respect over and over again I could say terrible things about whoopee and Joy at their shows but I am a better person than them!

7. DAWN says:

EVEN ON TODAY SHOW WITH BILL THEY HAD TO GET OUR PRESIDENT NAME IN THERE,IT EVERY DAY STOP LIKE IT OR NOT HE IS YOUR PRESIDENT.

8. DAWN says:

I STOPPED WATCHING THE SHOW I CANT STAND LISTING TO JOY ANYMORE .I DONT THINK SHE LIKES ANYONE.IT HER WAY OR THE HIGHWAY

9. Madeleine says:

I have stopped watching The view a while back. There is nothing entertaining about the show. They have become a branch of MSNBC. Their disregard and lack of respect for people with different opinions as theirs, especially Behar. I welcome differences but she is a bully to anyone who doesn’t agree with her ultra liberal beliefs. I am sure this is not what B Walters had in mind,

10. lynne digilio says:

I agree with Dawn Malone What happened to the view being an entertainment show? there is nothing light or entertaing at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1I cant watch these woman sit and bash the president its disgusting whoopi, joy and whoever else those other women are are hard to watch and embarassing to me and should be to themselves Barbara Walters must be disgusted as I am Good

11. Dawn Malone says:

I am so tired of every time I turn on this show, which is rare now, hearing our president bashed. Today was the last straw. They were upset about someone making a comment about another person’s hair and saying how terrible it was. True, you should never make it personal, talk about the issues, not the person’s physical appearance. But what do you call what some of the women on this show say about our president? It’s the same thing and even worse because it’s non-stop. Like it or not he is our president, have respect. Joy should lose her job for calling him a “so called president”. If you are so unhappy with our president PLEASE move out of our country and stay out. You wonder why your ratings keep dropping???? This is a big reason.

12. Lisa A Ganc says:

Please forgive the typo should’ve of been Joy at the end of my previous comment not Joyce. Sorry 😄 Thank you

13. Lisa A Ganc says:

Listen I’m not only speaking for myself but for alot if other people as well…WE ARE SICK TO DEATH OF LISTENING TO THE GIRLS OF THE VIEW CONSTANTLY AND RELENTLESSLY ONLY DISCUSSING OUR PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP..AND I CAN’T EVEN SAY THEY’RE DISCUSSING HIM ALL THEY DO IS BASH HIM CONSTANTLY PUTTING HIM DOWN …IT’S REALLY GETTING OLD CAN’T YOU FIND SOMETHING ELSE TO SPEAK ABOUT??? WE’RE TIRED OF LISTENING TO THE SAME OLE’ SAME OLE’ TOPIC EVERY SINGLE SOLITARY DAY SERIOUSLY C’MON…AND JUST FYI FOR THE GIRLS ON THE VIEW NOT EVERYONE LOVED OBAMA MATTER OF FACT ALOT THOUGHT HE WAS THEE ABSOLUTE WORST PRESIDENT BUT YOU DIDN’T HARO ON HIM NOW DID YOU …JEEZ I WONDER WHY THAT WAS?? NOW FIND SOME NEW INTERESTING TOPICS SO WE CAN CONTINUE TO WATCH THE VIEW INSTEAD OF TURNING IT OFF SOON AS OUR PRESIDENTS NAME IS MENTIONED YOU OUGHT TO BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELVES ESPECIALLY JOYCE WOW!!

14. Shirley Oulton says:

The view isa great show Whoopi and Joy, I just wish they wouldnt talk all at once as I dont know what they are sayinnnng

15. PATRICIA SCOTT says:

I ENJOY THE VIEW I FEEL THEY ARE FAIR IN THE POLITICAL VIEWS THEY GIVE AND ONE DOES,NT HAVE TO BE A ROCKET SCIENTIST TO SEE WHAT IS HAPPENING WAKE UP AMERICA AND JEDIDA WHERE ARE YOU I DON,T THINK YOUR THAT WELL LIKED AND THANK GOD I LIVE IN CANADA RIGHT NOW ALTHO WE HAVE OUR PROBLEMS BUT NOT AS MUCH AS YOU DO NEVER MISS YOUR SHOW GREAT GROUP NOT SURE ABOUT JEBDHI SPELLED IT WRONG BUT YOU KNOW WHO I MEAN PAT SCOTT

16. Nancy Howard says:

The view is a terrible show.if you are a Republican they hate you. Right to vote does not exist on the view. A bunch of biggot old ladies.Michelle Collins is wonderful. She is pretty and has has personality. Right to vote. Freedom to vote has turned to,,I will fire you or beat you up, or tell you off, or set your car on fire if you are not a Democratic. Biggots. All Republicas should boycott t.v. and the movies.

17. Dar says:

I am Canadian. Used to watch The View all the time but have deleted it from my tv schedule. The never ending Trump bashing for 1/3rd of every show has become ridiculous & boring. Yapping about things they know nothing about. Think about all the viewers that have little to no interest in their political views.
    The show has changed from an interesting, informative show to a bunch of old hens bantering & battering everything & everyone. This show must be cancelled before the only ones left watching are the cameramen… & they should get a big raise for doing it.

18. Betty Ball says:

Whoopi and Joy.are due for a very long forever release from the View! WHO really cares what they think!!! We need them both to hit the road.

19. Jean says:

Who cares if Whoopi Goldberg renews her contract? I say get someone worth watching on there, please!

20. Jean says:

I agree with Alexis A, Whoopi Goldberg is a loudmouth and is the reason myself and several other cannot tolerate watching the view. Yes, she is rude and is an opinionated racist. She is the only reason the show is not being watched in my area.

21. Alexis A says:

You couldn’t be more wrong with this part>>”Goldberg’s contract expires in August, and the network has been in prolonged negotiations to convince her to stay as “The View’s” moderator, fully aware that the Oscar-winning actress (who joined in 2007) is a key ingredient to the show’s success.”<<
    Way off base!! Whoopi is a loudmouth rude opinionated racist!
    She's the reason a lot of viewers had stopped watching the show.
    As for Barbara Walters- class act, as was Meredith Vieira.

22. Nancy Kelley says:

In filling chairs please consider the fact that the ladies are pushing out 50% of their viewers by their rhetoric that divides our country further. Their hate speak has gone over the top and should be stopped.

23. sara says:

THIS IS FOR JOY STOP THE BANISHMENTS OF OUR PRE.TRUMP THAT WAS VOTE IN . MORE INPORTANT THINGS IN THE WORLD TO TALK ABOUT GIVE HIM A CHANGE LIKE YOU DID OBAMA.YOU WOMEN ARE LIKE TRASH- I AN 80YRS IF YOU DO NOT LIKE THIS PRE.TRUMP THEM I SAY GET THE HELL OUT GOD BLESS THIS USA– TALK SHOWS ARE GETTING TO BE A BIG JOKE.MEIDA HAS TO GET BACK TO THE TRUTH HOW ABOUT TALKING ABOUT THE VET’S THAT HAVE GIVEN THERE LIVES SO YOU CAN TALK THIS TRASH & MAKE BIG $$$$

24. Ellen says:

I am tired of the chess match on The View. ABC get yourself together for God’s sake, he can’t keep up with your cruel banishments either. I liked Michelle Collins (she brought other topics of interest to the table), and Symone is a cheeky young, spirited asset to the table, and Nicole Wallace…..whoop there she goes with no rhyme or reason. Stop making so many changes, it’s unnecessary and confusing to the viewers. Really don’t understand underpaying Whoopi nor Joy, they are great on the show…..stop being so cheap, besides your never-ending news and crappy afternoon programs (GH is an exception), give us a break.

25. ciao614 says:

I knew she wouldn’t last. Too immature and chubby. Show sux anyways. I gave up on it when they hired angry lez Whoopi.

26. This is a trash talk show full of a bunch of ridiculing judgemental bullies. They are all about freedom of speech or opinion as long as it fits or agrees with their own egotistical nonsense. They claim to be so worried and fearful for the youth and women but do nothing but sit an example that is belittling, nagging, and argumentative towards other individuals and people in leadership positions. I would never allow or codone disruptive and disrespectful manner that is prejudice and bigotry.

• Rhea Silk says:

I am not entertained by the show any more. Whoopi has aVIEW on everything, so get on with being funny, that is something she is great at, I don’t care about her other thinking. Once said is enough.

27. Karen says:

If Joy Behar wasn’t on the show I would start watching again. Love Whoopi.

28. Vito Marinello says:

This whole show is a joke. Women talking about leaving America if their candidate doesn’t win. I shed my blood for America so do us a favor leave now. Behar calling other women who were victims tramps. She needs to get the boot and to work on her looks and appearance

29. Louise Dodson says:

I truly loved Michelle Collins I do/did not agree with the fact she was let go…she brought a lot to the table. I stopped watching because I really liked Raven….the only people that hold my interest now would be Whoopi and Joy , since Joy will not be their not much to watch!

30. Vicki Hoffman says:

Surprised to read Joy Behar will be back on the View when a facial cream advertised online says she is leaving to sell the product. If she continues on the program one would think she would have the decency to tell the online advertiser to pull her promotion of the crooked “free” deal. Buyer beware.

31. Tammy L Harvey says:

I hope Candace does NOT return….that would be great.

32. Believe anything you say I don’t believe anything you say you lie about this cosmetic Company taken a talent Michelle is not going anywhere

33. Why does the view just talk nasty about Donald Trump? Hilary Clinton isn’t the picture of honesty. What happen to presenting both sides ?? I’m sick of the view being one sided. I turned the tv this morning and they talk about Donald Trump’s words . Listen to how they talk.UGH!!!!!!deborahkjewell

34. bobcobb says:

Should have gotten rid of the black lawyer woman who said she wouldn’t turn in her son if she knew he had committed a murder. A lawyer, give me a break.. What a bitch.a

35. Teletha Foster says:

The show to me has become so uncomfortable to watch that I have had to indeed stop watching. It is biased/racest every episode. If a person does not intend to vote for Hillary Clinton, which I do NOT intend to do, it is impossible to watch. The show needs to be removed from daytime tv as it only takes up valuable space on the air.

36. See you people ever stop and think that sometimes people don’t want to hear about politics anymore it’s been going on so much that I’m tired of hearing it I don’t even want to turn on the television because that’s all you hear people talking about to fire somebody because they want to talk about other issues is really stupid the only one that I feel that you should have fired was Nicole I don’t like her perfect I don’t like the way she acts like a child as she doesn’t get her way when someone’s talking about something and she doesn’t agree with it

37. Jodie jones says:

The show needs to be taken off air.used to be my favorite show.whoppi and joy have ruined the show.tjey both think that how they see things is tbe only way.and whoopi talking bout people being rasict.well she is more racist one.show is a joke .needs to be taken off air.shows like this is what keeps this eoeld in a up roar.

38. Jacky Block says:

On your 20th show, they mentioned your panel of women got a little closer to their audiences by revealing something personal about their lives. I think we don’t need to know anything about them – this is the view, their view on some issue. A little something about them is fine but I don’t really want to know when any of them had their first sexual experience or kiss, I just don’t care. Also, I have a lot of respect for the elder women, Whoopi and Joy but they sure are trying to convince the other women (and more than the audience I must say) to vote for Hillary and how wonderful she is. I’m tired of hearing about this subject now. Some people simply don’t care for Hillary and that’s their choice. Shut-up and get on with other important things in this crazy world. That Jedidiah Billa seems to be smart, calm, fair and equal. I really like her, She should stay on, but I imagine they all get crazy after a while. Thanks.

39. Allyson says:

Remember when they had people with backgrounds like Meredith and Star didn’t come from the actress/comedian pool they seem to hire from these days.

40. Linda Sue Sasner says:

I have been watching The View since it’s inception 20 years ago. I was so sorry to see Barbara Walters retire, but Whoopie Goldberg has done an excellent job as moderator. If she leaves the show, I will probably quit watching The View! If money is the reason her contract has not been renewed, ABC should open it’s purse strings & pay her whatever she wants!

41. amy says:

michelle collins added humor and sharp retorts, get rid of raven instead!!

42. Jill says:

Whoopi is not the reason the View is okay. She thinks she’s an old sage, but she’s really a simpleton!!!

43. KellyJellyBelly says:

Do you want a good show? Then bring on solid opposing views. People get bored with everyone agreeing about the same issues…as liberal as they may be. The supposed conservatives that are on the show (Jedadiah & Candice) are not formidable enough for the likes of the Rhode Island Red Hen, aka Joy, and the Angry Black Woman, aka Whoopie. Rhode Island Red’s arguments are always the same…if you don’t agree with her then you’re just plain stupid and the Angry Black Woman never has anything cohesive to say…disagree with her liberal view and she, of course, gets angry, flails her arms everywhere and begins to yell to either be quiet or that her way is the only way, LOL! I also think it’s hilarious that she, a three time divorcee, is quick to give advice about relationships to the other women who have never been divorced and are in stable, long-term marriages (Paula, Sara, Sunny). Anyway, ABC needs to hire solid conservative panelists who will intelligently and formidably oppose the prevalent liberal view on The View. Imagine the fiery, but intelligent, debates!! So, go big or go home, ABC.

44. joyce says:

I like Michelle Collins. The one that should get fired is Joy Behar with her big mouth talking about Donald Trump and making Hillary look like a saint even on the day the FBI held her accountable for possible espionage emails.

45. Robin Worthington says:

I liked Michelle Collins. I felt that she was an asset to the show. When she didn’t show for a while, I noticed and missed her.

46. Clarissa Dykes says:

I will not miss her or the entire cast of the View. This show is very distasteful with its derogatory remarks towards nurses and politicians. VERY disrespectful. Many nurses and people who watch will not due to the nature of the co-hosts on this show. I’m very disappointed that this is still airing on ABC.

47. alma peregrino says:

I really enjoyed seeing and listening to Michelle Collins and her views. She is witty, honest and funny. She comments on things that relate to many women. Miss her. Thank you.

48. Linda Madtson says:

The view would be much better without Whoopi. I don’t watch it when she is on. She is so rude.

49. David says:

The used the excuse of firing Michelle because she madre comments that offened people. Raven has made more comments against different Groups since she has started. Now they aré talking about making her the leader of the show.

Lets move on to candice she is never there. Paula should stick to her News reporting Job.

The all day of hot topics is getting old. I liked the view in the past but not what it is turning into.

50. Joelle Chase says:

I miss Michelle she was bright and intelligent. She was very witty and knowledgeable. I hope she will be on tv somewhere again soon.

• Donna LaBruno says:

I love Michelle>She was fun and honest.Always let everyone give there view.Unlike Whoopi Goldberg ..She has become so horrible>It is like she is being paid by the clinton campaign..Every time someone goes to speak she cuts them off and goes to break..Always Loved this show it was my escape now I watch what is whoopi Goldberg show.Looks like she hates people who don,t agree with her.Gets paid to tell us she don’t care.No one should be disrespected in that way .She should have been the one to go .So sad.I will not be watching any longer>>Good luck to Michelle better off without those one way losers.